HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

General Discussion (Current Team/Player News) - to the golf course

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2014, 02:50 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

vCash: 500
General Discussion (Current Team/Player News) - to the golf course

The Beat Goes On.

Old
04-09-2014, 02:54 PM
devilsblood

you can say that again.

Old
04-09-2014, 02:55 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Torey Krug played forward last night, and Tyson Barrie has at times too. Doesn't make me dislike Pete any less, but hopefully Gelinas straightens out this summer.

Old
04-09-2014, 02:58 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

HaHaHaHaHaHa

Old
04-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
Title changed.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Old
04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

what's the distinction between this thread, the PDB thread and the You're the GM thread?

Old
04-09-2014, 03:22 PM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
We have 3 threads currently discussing the same things.

DeBoer thread
You're the GM thread - Make Changes
General discussion thread

Please use the Make Changes thread as the all purpose thread now for changes.

General Discussion for the existing team and news.

Thank you.

Old
04-09-2014, 03:36 PM
TedenbysFrontTeeth
INFP

I hope Brodeur hasn't soured as a leader like St. Louis has.

Old
04-09-2014, 04:06 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

What happened to Henrique I missed it.

Old
04-09-2014, 04:08 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedenbysFrontTeeth View Post
I hope Brodeur hasn't soured as a leader like St. Louis has.
Nah he is however pissed off at the state of the Devils. See link in the Cory Vs Marty Thread.

Last edited by StvBroDan: 04-09-2014 at 04:45 PM.
Old
04-09-2014, 04:15 PM
JimEIV

Marty is preparing for the front office.

Old
04-09-2014, 04:19 PM
NC107*

Marty is setting up his tee off time as we speak. It's always is what is best for Marty.

Old
04-09-2014, 04:44 PM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC107 View Post
Marty is setting up his tee off time as we speak. It's always is what is best for Marty.
It's always whats best for Marty? The record says different.

Old
04-09-2014, 05:02 PM
vtdevils2k

Not sure if posted...Rather interesting comments from Marty about the team in TG's new post

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...t_good_enough/

Team needs change. I give Marty credit on this...the team is stuck in the mud and not going anywhere till changes happen

Old
04-09-2014, 05:40 PM
MadDevil

Shut up and play Marty.

Old
04-09-2014, 05:54 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

This organization needs a new IDENTITY. Yes, Marty may and Elias play on longer but they aren't who should be the face of an NHL franchise. Neither should Jagr. Kovalchuk and Parise are gone. Out of somewhere this team needs to build an identity. And thats not an easy thing to do unfournately especially when a team lacks a elite star. In short, there is no easy answer. NJD is still a very competitive hockey club (key word competitive) and will most likely be forever probably ever but NJD needs to evolve a new identity. Dipping into the FA pool for a gamechanger will help but still. I think the answer is among Henrique/Larsson/Josefson/Merrill/Fayne/Schneider/Greene/Zajac/ etc. not in Zubrus/Elias/Jagr/Marty/Zidlicky/Salvador. Clowe, Elias, Jagr, Zid etc. are great players to have right now but they are supporting players and can not be the top threats on the team.

Thats probably the worst thing right. I don't the know the identity of this team. It is without a doubt a turning point in the organization in terms of personnel which is natural for every team at some point. Time will tell.

With that said if they Devils could have went at least 25% in shootouts and picked up the point vs Buffalo, Florida, NYI recently we'd be in. I guess thats hockey.

Last edited by Czech Trio: 04-09-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old
04-09-2014, 06:06 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtdevils2k View Post
Not sure if posted...Rather interesting comments from Marty about the team in TG's new post

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/f...t_good_enough/

Team needs change. I give Marty credit on this...the team is stuck in the mud and not going anywhere till changes happen
If you read between the lines he basically is saying "Pete thinks hovering around .500 is good enough".

I think Marty can certainly be a baby sometimes, but that's as honest an assessment as you're going to get and it's all proven. Some part of him knows he isn't returning here next year and by saying that it further proves how much this organization is cemented in him. Maybe he shouldn't say it to the media, but what's the difference between Marty and an old man with a cane smacking some twenty-something's ass at this point? ****, Jagr's rejuvenated spirit has a lot to do with being in the twilight of his career as well (regardless of what he says, he knows he's getting old).

Maybe he has a case of the "**** its", but he's absolutely right and if this team wants to remain competitive again, it's going to need a complete overhaul, IMO. I'm not going to sit here and say I know better and know what to do because I'm not foolish enough to think I have all the answers like some people. But Lou either needs to radically change his philosophy or retire and Pete simply doesn't have what it takes to be a coach for a good NHL team.

Look at the three coaches this organization thrived under and ask yourself if Pete has anything in common with them. He doesn't. And had we just gotten rid of Madden and Gomez, who knows where we would be if Julien didn't get canned en route to the playoffs (purely a hindsight statement, btw).

Either we make some radical changes and move toward a new direction or get used to being a middling team (or worse) like this every single year unless and until we do.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

They need a humongous culture change and I think it starts on Monday morning when Pete is given his walking papers. I don't see him surviving this, especially after the mess of a practice they had today. There's a culture of losing and mediocrity that is starting to develop and it needs to end. I've criticized Lou a lot but I don't think hes dumb enough to not see the writing on the wall here. They need a new voice in the locker room as well as some of the vets being purged.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:11 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
I don't think Brodeur is throwing Deboer under the bus like many do I think he's aiming those comments directly at Lou.

Lou has accepted mediocrity.....that's new for this org ( under lou's reign ). For better or worse 10 yrs ago Lou would of had heads on the chopping block...now he just goes along with it and tries to patch it up ever 4-6 months.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
They need a humongous culture change and I think it starts on Monday morning when Pete is given his walking papers. I don't see him surviving this, especially after the mess of a practice they had today. There's a culture of losing and mediocrity that is starting to develop and it needs to end. I've criticized Lou a lot but I don't think hes dumb enough to not see the writing on the wall here. They need a new voice in the locker room as well as some of the vets being purged.
Pete wouldn't get a pink slip.... we probably won't know his fate until late in the summer knowing Lou

when time is on your side yadda yadda yadda.

Also it's going to be damn hard to make changes this yr with the teams entire top 9 forwards under contract already.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:16 PM
fortheloveof666
Resident soothsayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
I don't think Brodeur is throwing Deboer under the bus like many do I think he's aiming those comments directly at Lou.

Lou has accepted mediocrity.....that's new for this org ( under lou's reign ). For better or worse 10 yrs ago Lou would of had heads on the chopping block...now he just goes along with it and tries to patch it up ever 4-6 months.
The main reason I can't agree with this is simply because of the team sale. It had been an ongoing burden and while so many might quickly point to the Kovalchuk signing, when you consider how wildly uncharacteristic of Lou that whole entire ordeal was and what it cost us (which some part of him had to know it was going to turn out badly) you can't tell me that wasn't VBK trying to spit shine the turd he was attempting to unload on someone.

And in the end, all it did was alienate the guy we should have locked up that year instead of losing him to free agency. We have no character because we've lost all but 2 character players in the last 10 or so years. And it goes without saying that if we hadn't signed Jagr (great character, no pun), we would be looking up at .500 like it were Mount Everest right now.

I'm not going to entirely blame Lou, but he does need to adapt to the new dynamics and we simply haven't. We had a buyout window and clung on to a bunch of dead weight for who-the-****-knows what reason. We can only cross our fingers and hope somehow we can move some parts, because even canning Pete isn't going to change the two-line roster we are lucky to field on a nightly basis.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:23 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Regardless of what the mentality may or not be in that locker room, we lost our top 4 scorers in a 1.5 year span

You don't replace that over night

Old
04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Pete wouldn't get a pink slip.... we probably won't know his fate until late in the summer knowing Lou

when time is on your side yadda yadda yadda.

Also it's going to be damn hard to make changes this yr with the teams entire top 9 forwards under contract already.
They can't wait till July to make a coaching change. Its going to have to be soon after the season ends so they can start the interviewing process because there's probably going to be at least 3-4 other teams making changes as well.

I think they'll be buy out at least one guy (Salvador or Volchenkov) as well as dumping Ryder for a mid round pick. That would free up a decent chunk of change, along with letting Bernier, Gionta, Marty, and possibly Zidlicky go. Money really isn't an issue anymore. I wouldn't discount Clowe from retiring either. I think they'll be able to make at least SOME sort of shakeup. A lot of it hinges on what Jagr decides to do.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

So things got testy in practice today. Pete finally blew his stack it seems.

Old
04-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Devilsfan992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperoreddy View Post
So things got testy in practice today. Pete finally blew his stack it seems.
And Martys criticizing the organization mediocrity. All Hell's breaking loose right now in Devilsland right now.

Closed Thread