HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason changes. You are the GM.

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2014, 06:48 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Fire Oates and his entire staff. Hire a vet coach after multiple interviews and work with him on the rest of the staff. Review and improve the scouting department if necessary.

Any offer should be considered. Every GM should be contacted to establish lines of communication and see what they're shopping/seeking.

Priority should be given to acquiring, by almost any reasonable means, at least 2 top 4 defensemen. From there it depends on what's offered and what's available, so specific names are not in the picture yet.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - New Guy
Kuz - Grabo - Wilson
Chimera - Fehr - Ward
Prospect/FA - Brown/Latta - Prospect/FA

New top 4 D - Green
Orlov - New top 4 D
Carlzner

Out: Brouwer, MJ90, Laich, Erskine, Hillen, Beagle, Penner

I see mobility on the right side within the top 3 lines. The wingers on the 4th line are subject to debate, need and availability.
wow.....that's almost identical to mine. except I have green traded.

but..Alzner Carlson as the bottom pair?

Old
04-10-2014, 06:51 PM
aquablue

The whole premise of this thread is useless. We need a new GM, that's all she wrote folks. If I'm the GM, I fire my amateur internaut commentator self and Hire someone with some balls to make some bold moves when the time is right.

None of us are 'in the game', remember? We can speculate all we want, but unless we Trust in St. Uncle Ted to bring us our early Christmas present, this is meaningless mental masturbation and will soon be forgotten.

So, be the GM, huh? OK, I'll FIRE MY ASS AND let TED BRING IN SOMEONE WHO CAN WIN!!!! It's been 19 years FFS.

Last edited by aquablue: 04-10-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old
04-10-2014, 06:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
first point is a good point, but i did say 3-5 years. it all depends who else is looking at cammaleri. and yes id be willing to pay some UFA defensemen for a long term even with the risk, i dont know if niskanen is the guy as i dont watch the pens a lot. either way i look at this:

Alzner-Carlson
Orlov-Strachan
Brouillette-Carrick

and i say **** that, overpaying a guy by 1 million is worth fixing that, just like overpaying ovechkin is worth it. defense is a position of need that we must address.
that above hideous d corp is not really a good reason to sign a defenseman with one good season to a 6 year Nylander like contract.

read some of the posting about laich and his contract if you want a reminder. I don't have a problem signing a reasonably young but established ufa defenseman to a 5 year contract, but niskanen wouldn't be that guy with just this one season to set his salary. id rather keep green and get brooks orpik on a shorter deal.

Old
04-10-2014, 06:54 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
wow.....that's almost identical to mine. except I have green traded.

but..Alzner Carlson as the bottom pair?
If you can trade Green go for it. I wonder about his potential if healthy, with a solid and LEGIT top pair guy, under a new coach. But I won't cry if we don't get to take that risk.

I have never believed Carlzner is a top pair on a Cup winning team in the NHL. They are not a shutdown world class twosome, they are "Caps good".

Old
04-10-2014, 06:59 PM
aquablue

Really, the D corps just needs one major adjustment folks. That is, a top class UFA D man. Nothing else matters. We need to pull the COG of the the team backwards. A winning team wins from the ass-end out, not from the wings, especially is said wings consist of soft floaty psuedo-puck-skilled turrets and not puck possession stallions. I'll give an hornorable mention to the spine of the team, which is why I'm worried about resigning Grabo. He's another soft guy who is too similar to Backstrom. We need a horse up the middle and a guy who will come back and do the dirty work on defense, a big body hard nosed stud.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:02 PM
txpd

I think green is always tradeable because so long as there is a chance that he can deliver his game when its important to a given team, he is a major difference maker. he's worth a chance. say a team like buffalo or Edmonton desperate to make the playoffs. a good season from him might be what they need.

I think Alzner is an outstanding shutdown defenseman and Carlson a fine partner. I think Oates convoluted rules have messed up any defenseman on the team. but I can also see your point of view on that. still they are far better than a 3 pair and are both paid well too much for that role.

is there a top class ufa defenseman on the market this year? Kyle Quincy?

Old
04-10-2014, 07:05 PM
aquablue

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
If you can trade Green go for it. I wonder about his potential if healthy, with a solid and LEGIT top pair guy, under a new coach. But I won't cry if we don't get to take that risk.

I have never believed Carlzner is a top pair on a Cup winning team in the NHL. They are not a shutdown world class twosome, they are "Caps good".
I never bought it either. They are great, but not stellar. I mean, they should really be a second pairing on a cup winning team. Carlson never turned into the O monster he was supposed to be, which is why I'm hoping Orlov can take that role when Green is replaced.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Efactor

The new GM will get a 5 year deal if he is the right candidate (read: someone we would actually want, not what we have to settle for). Therefore, I think he will set in motion a 2-3 year out plan. This is not a lineup that needs tweaks to win a Cup, it needs an overhaul and some time to gel under the next coach's system.

I'd buyout Laich based on him not fitting anymore. Too many injuries and our roster revamp. He deserves the cash for previous contributions and he can move to LA/NY on a cheap deal to be with his girl.

I would shop the older guys and players who had good years and value is high. I would only resign Grabo at the right price, because he is borderline on age and he wants to win now.

I'd be active in the Free Agency, but looking at guys with untapped upside, not guys who are at peak value. I'd be sure to leave myself some decent cap space to make a trade that might arise from a strapped team.

I'd plan to play younger guys next year and let the coach and the players develop under lowered expectations.

The second and third years the expectations would grow and Backie, Ovi, Carlson, and Alzner would all be in their prime.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
I see what you mean, I just don't rate Grabovski as a cup winning #2 C and would prefer Kessler there. Grabovski isn't powerful enough of a horse to push through the tough D of contending teams in the playoffs. He's a soft Euro. I want a hard nosed hard working #2C. I think that Kessler would be far better there than Kuznetsov who I feel isn't quite center material in the NHL. Center, D and goal is where you can dominate other teams in the playoffs. Let's focus there. If they go with Grabs, a line of kuz-grabs-cammeleri is too soft and needs a power grinder on that line.
cmon man even you know thats ********. besides both grabo and kesler can play wing while fehr can't play center. if center is so important than proposing to get rid of him makes no sense, other than your xenophobic ********.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:18 PM
g00n
abides

Kuz and Grabo would be a good fit for flashy style but like so many other Caps 2nd liners they're kind of soft and probably need a tougher guy to round out the line. That's why I'd like to see what would happen if Wilson were up there with those playmakers.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Vabeachblue

Quote:
I think green is always tradeable because so long as there is a chance that he can deliver his game when its important to a given team, he is a major difference maker. he's worth a chance. say a team like buffalo or Edmonton desperate to make the playoffs. a good season from him might be what they need.

I think Alzner is an outstanding shutdown defenseman and Carlson a fine partner. I think Oates convoluted rules have messed up any defenseman on the team. but I can also see your point of view on that. still they are far better than a 3 pair and are both paid well too much for that role.

is there a top class ufa defenseman on the market this year? Kyle Quincy?
Kyle Quincy makes Green look good defensively.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:22 PM
um

Quote:
that above hideous d corp is not really a good reason to sign a defenseman with one good season to a 6 year Nylander like contract.

read some of the posting about laich and his contract if you want a reminder. I don't have a problem signing a reasonably young but established ufa defenseman to a 5 year contract, but niskanen wouldn't be that guy with just this one season to set his salary. id rather keep green and get brooks orpik on a shorter deal.
fair enough, but at least you agree we need D. and I dont think we really need an overpaid offensive defensmen like green anymore, much rather trade green for a center. also brooks orpik is terrible now.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:24 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vabeachblue View Post
Kyle Quincy makes Green look good defensively.
well sort of my point. the list of coming ufa's on defense is underwhelming

Old
04-10-2014, 07:27 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
The new GM will get a 5 year deal if he is the right candidate (read: someone we would actually want, not what we have to settle for). Therefore, I think he will set in motion a 2-3 year out plan. This is not a lineup that needs tweaks to win a Cup, it needs an overhaul and some time to gel under the next coach's system.

I'd buyout Laich based on him not fitting anymore. Too many injuries and our roster revamp. He deserves the cash for previous contributions and he can move to LA/NY on a cheap deal to be with his girl.

I would shop the older guys and players who had good years and value is high. I would only resign Grabo at the right price, because he is borderline on age and he wants to win now.

I'd be active in the Free Agency, but looking at guys with untapped upside, not guys who are at peak value. I'd be sure to leave myself some decent cap space to make a trade that might arise from a strapped team.

I'd plan to play younger guys next year and let the coach and the players develop under lowered expectations.

The second and third years the expectations would grow and Backie, Ovi, Carlson, and Alzner would all be in their prime.
you are burning prime years of 8 and 19 in this rebuild.

untapped upside ufa's. that's McPhee's dumpster diving. every ufa contract you give to a project player that lasts more than one season is a contract and salary cap you cant give to an established good player.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:28 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
well sort of my point. the list of coming ufa's on defense is underwhelming
A new GM may have the luxury of a one time opportunity to make some serious blockbuster trades in order to reverse the perception that the team is in decline. I wouldn't rely just on UFA. I'd be willing to move a lot of chips, including first round picks, to get the right players.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:31 PM
Efactor

Quote:
you are burning prime years of 8 and 19 in this rebuild.

untapped upside ufa's. that's McPhee's dumpster diving. every ufa contract you give to a project player that lasts more than one season is a contract and salary cap you cant give to an established good player.
These next couple years were burned by Ted and GMGM already, you just didn't realize it.

As for upside guys...see Joel Ward!

Old
04-10-2014, 07:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
fair enough, but at least you agree we need D. and I dont think we really need an overpaid offensive defensmen like green anymore, much rather trade green for a center. also brooks orpik is terrible now.
when green is leading the nhl in goals from defense as he was last season, he is underpaid.

Carlson has been average in Green's power play role. He's not a dynamic offensive force. Orlov we know very little about as to whether he can handle the load and responsibility of being the Caps lead offensive defenseman.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:38 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efactor View Post
These next couple years were burned by Ted and GMGM already, you just didn't realize it.

As for upside guys...see Joel Ward!
Joel Ward has been fine. But Joel Ward is an expensive 3rd line player. He is far from a bargain.

If the next two seasons are effectively a waste of time, then I would trade 8 and 19.

Ovechkin skating around on a team with no chance or expectation of the playoffs might get really ugly.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Efactor

Quote:
Joel Ward has been fine. But Joel Ward is an expensive 3rd line player. He is far from a bargain.

If the next two seasons are effectively a waste of time, then I would trade 8 and 19.

Ovechkin skating around on a team with no chance or expectation of the playoffs might get really ugly.
I don't disagree totally. As the next GM, I'd answer the phone if someone called for 8 or 19. They'd have to overpay, but at this point they aren't untouchable. This is about the Caps winning the Cup not 8 and 19 winning the Cup.

As for JW42, he is a bargain under the new cap. The point I was making was don't go buy Clarkson because the wallet is full. Look for value and someone who could outplay what you intend to commit paying them.

Old
04-10-2014, 07:55 PM
txpd

I think Clarkson was that ufa crop's Ward. He got a stupid contract. Ward didn't. If you are going to rebuild a team and get worse before you get better while hauling around 16-17m in cap hits on two players, you are wasting your money.

you either try and build a team around them which includes not wasting their best prime years that remain or you trade them. Ovechkin is just 2 years young than Grabovski who you already called age marginal.

the way I read your scenario, the caps get younger and miss the playoffs next season. challenge for a playoff spot but be a marginal playoff team at best in year two and then in year three start working toward playoff success. Ov is 31 by the time you are ready to try again.

If that is the plan, why be passive and keep him when he cant do anything but sell merch and grow more bad habits when a young team is trying to learn good habits?

Old
04-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I have a feeling Brooks Laich will be penciled as 3rd line C next season =) Don't know why. But it's kinda logical. Not enough evidence he is healthy/useful/top6/tradeable/damaged. No decision = smth like #3C. And we have enough players who can play that position if Brooks is not healthy again.

There is a bonus. If he's OK we have another serviceable player.

Fehr - I think he can be tried in top6. OV-NB-Fehr or Kuz-Grabo-Fehr - something along these lines.

One more top6 player should be found from elsewhere just to better suit our 2 soft lazy russian wingers (who are very unique... and require good partner on another wing).

On the defense.. yeah, I would sign Belov to play with Orlov (btw, Belov is LH RD too). And then trade for GEE.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
its so obvious...and I dont get the opposite argument

People talk of his elite skill and accomplishments of yesteryear....and in the next breathe talk about how he needs some stabilizing vet to be effective

like you said...7 year vet making 6 mil, you should be able to throw out anyone with him and he should be effective to some extent
You don't get that pairing credible playing partners of certain skillsets can and does usually benefit the pairing? Why are you in this conversation then?

Old
04-10-2014, 09:17 PM
OV Rocks

Ovi-Nicky-Kuzy
E. Kane-Stastny-Brouwer
Chimmer-Fehr-Ward
Laich-Latta-Grabner
extra-Wilson

Alzner-Carlson
Hainsey-Boyle
Orlov-Oleksy
extra- Kundratek

Holtby
JS Giguere

Kane-trade Grubauer and Green, Winnipeg will gladly take Gruby and Green from us and if not ad this years 2nd.
Grabner- trade mojo and 5th round pick
Sign- Stastny 4 years 7M, Boyle 2 years 4M, Hainsey 2 years 2M, Giguere 1 year 1.5M
I know I know all are over payments but thats what it takes in free agency, plus there is still 3M in cap space with this roster

Why to make this roster: Stacked top6, best 3rd line in hockey, and a 4th line thatll out work the other team and can be counted on for 12-15 minutes a night. Defense gets alot more experience and re faced. Holtby is this teams goalie, it is time to commit to him and get him a vet back up

Old
04-10-2014, 09:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

The last thing Winnipeg needs is an RD.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Yeah, you would not need to add to Johansson to get Grabner. Not that you should want him anyway.

Closed Thread