HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teuvo Teravainen to IceHogs

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2014, 09:11 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

vCash: 500
Teuvo scored!

Old
04-11-2014, 09:30 PM
Nothingman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Can that kid not decide what number he wants to be?

He was #86 in the games
Wore #23 practice jersey for a bit
and now he is #21 in Rockford..

WTF?
He is young and not attached to a number. Who cares as long as he puts points up......like tonight!

Old
04-11-2014, 09:30 PM
BigClemMacdonald

I was just going to come here and post that. Good for him

Old
04-11-2014, 09:43 PM
ChiGuySez
Streak ends 108

Good. Hoping he wouldnt show up timid.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:08 PM
hisgirlfriday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
Plus
20 on the national junior team
I've seen him wear a 19 national team jersey as well
16 when playing in Mestis (Finland's second highest-level league)
29 at the 2012 prospect camp

The man of many numbers.
That's actually kind of awesome. I hope he has a completely different number when he's back with the Hawks.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:27 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

He used 86 in Jokerit too.

Old
04-12-2014, 01:25 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1000
Are people seriously complaining about the kid having different jersey numbers? Ridiculous.

Old
04-12-2014, 03:47 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Old
04-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Blackhawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
That guy is way too excited for anything

Old
04-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Are people seriously complaining about the kid having different jersey numbers? Ridiculous.
I don't see anyone complaining..?
Just wondering why he can't decide on a number, or why he keeps picking different numbers. Usually players only have 1 or 2 numbers they like. It's just odd I thought.

Old
04-14-2014, 09:12 AM
clydesdale line

Other than P.M. Bouchard (Why? I don't know), usually players who are in the minors get assigned low numbers. For example, Andrew Shaw was #23 in Rockford for the lockout, having spent his rookie season in the NHL prior as #65. Morin was #19 for years in Rockford, before being assigned a $hitload of numbers by the Blackhawks when he is/was called up.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydesdale line View Post
Other than P.M. Bouchard (Why? I don't know), usually players who are in the minors get assigned low numbers. For example, Andrew Shaw was #23 in Rockford for the lockout, having spent his rookie season in the NHL prior as #65. Morin was #19 for years in Rockford, before being assigned a $hitload of numbers by the Blackhawks when he is/was called up.
Well, those numbers are obviously in use on the Blackhawks. In the AHL they can wear whatever numbers they want, and players usually choose the numbers they wore in juniors.

In the NHL they usually assign numbers to call ups or guys just making the team and sometimes they stick with those numbers if their previous number is used by a currant player or is retired by the team.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:47 AM
TorMenT
Go Blackhawks!

I was at the IceHogs game Friday when he scored his first goal in North America. A few notes on his game from what I remember.

1. He barely had any ice time in the 1st. Had more in he 2nd, and played quite a bit inthe 3rd.

2. He seemed to lose a lot of faceoffs. Every one I remember paying attention to he lost. I'll admit I wasn't paying close attention to this aspect of his game so I could have missed some faceoff wins if he had any.

3. He's still small. He got pushed off the puck a couple times early in the game but looked pretty evasive and handled the puck well after that. He took a pretty big hit with just a few min left in the game as well but got up quick and didn't seem to have any side effects.

4. After the first, he handled himself pretty well and made some good passes. He had one perfect set up on a 3 on 2 break cross ice thru traffic but someone couldn't complete and put it in the net (McNeill maybe?). His goal was fairly lucky, but it had a lot to do with him putting himself in a good position at the right time. He also capitalized by placing a perfectly placed shot. A solid first goal.

A few notes on others:

1. Mashinter had a sweet fight in the 1st. He and his opponent got bloodied up. The refs skated him off the ice right buthe Admirals bench and he skated by on one foot with blood running down his face and his arms in the air with a facial expression that said "is that all you got!" It was pretty awesome.

2. Johns was solid overall. Made a bad pinch but had some good stickwork to prevent an opposing breakaway. Solid game overall.

3. Hartman was the best overall player from my perspective. All over the ice. Played with some grit. Created a few scoring chances.

4. LaBarbara didn't have the best game. 29 shots against and allowed 3 goals. The Hogs allowed quite a few odd man rushes and he made some good saves though. This game was kind of the nail in their coffin for the season though. Highly unlikely Rockford makes the playoffs now.

5. McNeill was unnoticeable.

6. Clendening had a good game. I can see why people are high on him. He's pretty aggressive and fast and created a lot of chances. He took a big hit and laid on the ice for a few seconds though. Boarding was called. He came back after and played well.

That's about it I guess.

Old
04-18-2014, 02:49 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Team Finland management announced today that Chicago has released Teräväinen to play in the Worlds.

Old
04-18-2014, 02:57 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

I guess better than eating popcorn.

Old
04-18-2014, 03:01 PM
Blue Liner

That'll be good experience for him. Good to play against NHL'ers and get some "adult" international experience against men, i.e. not the WJC's.

Old
04-18-2014, 03:40 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Team Finland management announced today that Chicago has released Teräväinen to play in the Worlds.
I was hoping that would happen - this is very good news.

Old
04-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Lepardi

"Get back to me in a month".

This is what "Hockey Sensible" wrote in the other Teräväinen thread on March 17th, when I told him Teuvo is not ready for the NHL just yet.

Well, it's been a month now, so: greetings from Finland.

Seems like shining in the Finnish league didn't mean that much after all at the NHL level. A month ago many Hawks fans were asking why there are so many Finns telling you that you should not expect Teuvo to make much of an impact straight away. We were told that we don't understand North American hockey and some people even told us to leave the Blackhawks section alone. Well, I'll say again what I said a month ago: we've seen kids dominate the Finnish league before, and we know how well that domination usually translates into NHL level right from the get-go. Maybe we know more about North American hockey than you know about the difference between the FEL and the NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
That'll be good experience for him. Good to play against NHL'ers and get some "adult" international experience against men, i.e. not the WJC's.
If Teräväinen makes the team, he won't necessarily be playing center. Finland will probably have loads of options for that position: Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Olli Jokinen, Erik Haula, Jarkko Immonen, Jori Lehterä and Petri Kontiola are all players who might be in the team. Kontiola has some kind of an injury though.

Last edited by Lepardi: 04-18-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old
04-18-2014, 04:58 PM
Leehh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post

This is what "Hockey Sensible" wrote in the other Teräväinen thread on March 17th, when I told him Teuvo is not ready for the NHL just yet.

Seems like shining in the Finnish league didn't mean that much after all at the NHL level. A month ago many Hawks fans were asking why there are so many Finns telling you that you should not expect Teuvo to make much of an impact straight away. We were told that we don't understand North American hockey and some people even told us to leave the Blackhawks section alone. Well, I'll say again what I said a month ago: we've seen kids dominate the Finnish league before, and we know how well that domination usually translates into NHL level right from the get-go. Maybe we know more about North American hockey than you know about the difference between the FEL and the NHL.

If Teräväinen makes the team, he won't necessarily be playing center. Finland will probably have loads of options for that position: Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Olli Jokinen, Erik Haula, Jarkko Immonen, Jori Lehterä and Petri Kontiola are all players who might be in the team. Kontiola has some kind of an injury though.
You do have a point there, but you forget few really, really critical points. It's significantly easier to start NHL season when it actually starts, not in playoff environment. TT also doesn't even know their system. Jumping straight in to a team that has really good chance of winning stanley is something that has pretty much never been done by anyone.

I'm like 99% sure that TT will be their 2C next season. Like Bowman said, they want do it right and not to put too high expectations for him which could possibly ruin his first few year because of too high expectations.

Old
04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
You do have a point there, but you forget few really, really critical points. It's significantly easier to start NHL season when it actually starts, not in playoff environment. TT also doesn't even know their system. Jumping straight in to a team that has really good chance of winning stanley is something that has pretty much never been done by anyone.

I'm like 99% sure that TT will be their 2C next season. Like Bowman said, they want do it right and not to put too high expectations for him which could possibly ruin his first few year because of too high expectations.
I didn't think that Teuvo looked that bad, actually - I have no complaints about how he played. The coaches told him he needed to shoot more, which he responded to by having 4 shots the next game. He was also defensively responsible. His skill is obvious.

At times I thought he looked a bit overwhelmed - but I thought overall his game looked NHL ready.

I don't think he would have been good in the playoffs yet - I think he'd be way over his head against St. Louis.

Old
04-18-2014, 05:22 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

Quote:
Fixed: not ready for playoffs in a stacked team.

Old
04-18-2014, 05:26 PM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leehh View Post
I was told a month ago to "get back to Hockey Sensible in a month". I must assume he was aware of the fact that the NHL season doesn't start in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
Fixed: not ready for playoffs in a stacked team.
Many people seemed to think that Teräväinen can't be any worse than Michal Handzus, so the Blackhawks fans probably don't think their team is stacked when it comes to the 2nd line center position.

Old
04-18-2014, 05:30 PM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:

That would depend on your definition of "ready for the NHL."

Was he going to step in and be a 60+ point-per-82 producer right away? No, but nobody was expecting that.

All anyone was hoping for was that he'd be better than the laundry list of garbage that the Hawks have tried at #2C this season.
It was a small sample size, but he was better than all of them. By a lot.

Not that that's saying a ton - I'm fairly sure I could throw on the skates and compete with today's Handzus (kidding) - but he looked like he belonged. With the right set of wingers, he could've been pretty good.

The Blackhawks, though, didn't think he looked quite good enough to warrant burning a year off his ELC. That extra cheap year will come in handy down the line; in three seasons, the Hawks could be very close to the level they were at in '12-13 if they play the rest of their cards right and TT develops as most of the hockey world believes he will.

Old
04-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Periwinkle

I hope TT makes the WCH team, it's always interesting to see young players/future stars in these tournaments- Canada has Rielly, Monahan, Huberdeau and USA Gaudreau, Trouba, Jones and yes, both the Hayes brothers...- so I think it would be great if Finland offered him a spot. Like others suggested, it's more likely he would be playing wing as for the centre position we likely have more experienced/at-this-moment better players.

I've only seen one of his AHL games, where he was kind of invisible, and frankly I expected him to have a little more impact on AHL level - no points in the last game either, and apparently he didn't see much ice time. The word on TT is that he is a bit of an on/off player, with confidence being a major element with how he performs, so perhaps the new environment,the media scrutiny and not producing points have taken a toll on his play. Still, while he looked good in his games in NHL, I would be hesitant to assume he is ready for the 2C position starting next fall. Seems like he still has a lot to work on to be truly and consistently effective in NA hockey. Strenght-training will of course help with a lot, face-offs are probably an important area- he was losing a lot of them in his NA games (with the exception being his first NHL game which seemed to be an anomaly and to surprise even himself) and it was acknowledged as an issue in Finland as well.

It seems a lot of peole are seeing it from the "he can't be worse than Handzus" angle, but the Hawks organinisation has other players that are still seemingly more ready for that position, although not ones that necessarily have his future potential. After summer we of course know more. Before that, hopefully he makes the WCH tournament and performs well

Last edited by Periwinkle: 04-19-2014 at 01:08 AM. Reason: grammar
Old
04-19-2014, 08:07 AM
loudis

Quote:

I doubt that Wild would let MG go to WC. 2 concussions and he already played in olympics this season. Same with Koivu, while he wants to go after missing Sothsi, he's still injured.

Closed Thread