HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teuvo Teravainen to IceHogs

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Marotte Marauder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
"Get back to me in a month".

This is what "Hockey Sensible" wrote in the other Teräväinen thread on March 17th, when I told him Teuvo is not ready for the NHL just yet.

Well, it's been a month now, so: greetings from Finland.

Don't expect a concession from Hockey Sensible, ever.

Let's see if he posts a reply and if it might go something like this:

TT is NHL ready, the Hawks were in a (fill in the blank) situation and felt it best not to use TT.

Hawks don't need him right now, better to extend the life of his ELC, blah blah blah.

He was soaking in the sights of being in an NHL city, hanging with the guys, going to the bean, Pequods and riding the L. All part of his initiation to North America.

Anyway, whatever the Hawks do/did is just fine by Hockey Sensible.

Old
04-19-2014, 08:25 AM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Good luck to Teuvo. Hopefully he is ready for the NHL come October, the Hawks need him to be the second line center they've been lacking this year.

Old
04-20-2014, 06:52 AM
kelsier

Quote:

This is what "Hockey Sensible" wrote in the other Teräväinen thread on March 17th, when I told him Teuvo is not ready for the NHL just yet.

That is still horsecrap. Hawks fans, coaches or their grandmothers couldn't tell at this point wether TT was NHL ready or not. He didn't make any (or much) mistakes during that 3 game trial. He actually played very well for someone that just entered a new environment and a new league. This was actually the root of the problem. By avoiding the mistakes at his own end affected his offensive production. When he was asked to start shooting more, he did and got benched right after. If this was midseason it could have easily went the other way and we'd see Teuvo right there fighting in the playoffs. The timing was just not ideal. He never was given a proper chance to prove his readyness. You can take your greetings right back to Finland unless you actually provide some valid arguments along with your letter.

Old
04-20-2014, 07:10 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I remember being told Pirri was expendable this year because TT was coming over. Whoops.

Old
04-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Periwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsier View Post
That is still horsecrap. Hawks fans, coaches or their grandmothers couldn't tell at this point wether TT was NHL ready or not. He didn't make any (or much) mistakes during that 3 game trial. He actually played very well for someone that just entered a new environment and a new league. This was actually the root of the problem. By avoiding the mistakes at his own end affected his offensive production. When he was asked to start shooting more, he did and got benched right after. If this was midseason it could have easily went the other way and we'd see Teuvo right there fighting in the playoffs. The timing was just not ideal. He never was given a proper chance to prove his readyness. You can take your greetings right back to Finland unless you actually provide some valid arguments along with your letter.
I think Teuvo's NA journey was curious in that in his NHL games he showed readiness, but in his AHL games he was by most accounts underwhelming. Glad he ended with a high note of at least scoring in his final game.

It seems obvious a lot of his lack-of-readiness boiled down to physicality. He played sheltered minutes in his NHL games, yet reported his legs being tired -the sheltered minutes probably also hid away the physical toll bigger minutes might have shown. In his "goodbye" interview with Icehogs Teuvo straighforwardly said, that "hopefully his body is more ready next season" and that the AHL experince was "tough".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoJN1...eXG6xFUJH3fWjN

I doubt he actually would have been ready for the NHL playoff grind, especially with games with multiple OT periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I remember being told Pirri was expendable this year because TT was coming over. Whoops.
That, however, is entirely on management, and none on Teuvo, so I hope the sentiment doesn't turn against Teuvo when he couldn't live up to unrealistic expectations.

Interestingly though, with Pirri gone and the other C prospect with possible talent level for 2C, Kevin Hayes, likely gone, and TT proving not the immediate solution for 2C,I do wonder if the trade rumours for TT will come back in full force if the Hawks have a quick exit.

Old
04-20-2014, 12:34 PM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

the 2nd goal:

Old
04-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Pirri is still expendable. Regin would play before him as Center.

Old
04-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Pirri is still expendable. Regin would play before him as Center.

That is laughable.

Old
04-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Periwinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessflyingcord View Post
the 2nd goal:
Slightly off topic, but what is up with AHL broadcasts having such a terrible picture quality? I can see jack all. I actually paid for a stream and it looked it it was recorded with a potato and had these commercials with ugly graphics blocking replays. Some 1996 realness right there.

Old
04-21-2014, 02:34 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
That is laughable.
you don't think Regin with his defensiv sound game would play over Pirri with his bad D - in the POs.... with Q as coach?

Old
04-22-2014, 09:15 PM
slappipappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
That is laughable.
Yet very true.

Regin would most definitely play before Pirri, as he should.

Old
04-24-2014, 12:00 PM
Porkkan4
Hero

vCash: 450
Today first NT game for Teräväinen and 1+1 against Slovakia. Very impressive game by him.

Old
04-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwio View Post
Today first NT game for Teräväinen and 1+1 against Slovakia. Very impressive game by him.
Wait, what? I thought he was a black ace.

Old
04-24-2014, 12:33 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Wait, what? I thought he was a black ace.
Nope. He was sent to the World Championships to play for Finland.

Way better than having him sit in the press box.

Old
04-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Nope. He was sent to the World Championships to play for Finland.

Way better than having him sit in the press box.
Hmm, must of missed that news release. Definitely better for him.

Old
04-25-2014, 06:19 AM
Periwinkle

Teuvo (9+35) got nominated for Finnish Ice Hockey Players´ Association's (http://www.sjry.fi/en/sjry/) player of the year. Considering the he only really had great half a season, and the two other nominees, Michael Keränen (17+35) and Ville Vahalahti(20+32), had more points, Vahalahti being the overall goal scoring leader and Keränen was already selected as the hockey journalists' player of the year, I'm guessing one of the two will take it home. Winner will be voted by the players and will be announced next Wednesday.

In his first adult national team game Teuvo actually played center with Keränen on his wing, both having 1+1 in a 3-0 game against Slovakia. Teuvo had a nice game but I personally though Keränen was better in this game, together they created Finland's best offense though. Teuvo is currently speculated as probably making the World Championships team - will depend on which NHL players are available though, and of course how the rest of the practice games/camp goes.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:17 PM
HawksFan37

He's still a 19 year old kid who needs all the development he can get. Way too early to make any judgements on him based on his brief stint with the Hawks this year. Hopefully he makes the Finnish team, has a good World Championships and summer and comes back ready to play at the NHL level next year. If not, then some seasoning in Rockford is what he'll get.

It also was completely unfounded how his coming over this season was portrayed as some sort of saviour by the organization's PR department putting unneeded pressure on a 19 year old, but we know how the Hawks' PR department operates, and that's another discussion for another day.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:21 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan37 View Post
It also was completely unfounded how his coming over this season was portrayed as some sort of saviour by the organization's PR department putting unneeded pressure on a 19 year old, but we know how the Hawks' PR department operates, and that's another discussion for another day.
Seems like it was more of an issue with the fans and the media with the unrealistic expectations. Posters here were writing him into their lines for the playoffs without him playing a game in the NHL. I don't remember much coming out of the Hawks besides they'd be bringing Teuvo over once his season was done in Finland.

Old
04-25-2014, 02:47 PM
Sharp1024*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
Seems like it was more of an issue with the fans and the media with the unrealistic expectations. Posters here were writing him into their lines for the playoffs without him playing a game in the NHL. I don't remember much coming out of the Hawks besides they'd be bringing Teuvo over once his season was done in Finland.
FLATOUT...... Teuvo is not ready for the playoffs. His talent is there and we can call see that. But he seemed out of place and out of position/sync with the offense. He often run into other hawks while out on the ice. Playoffs is not the time to hammer out these kinks. Everyone else has been playing 30+ games and practices together. They all know where each other are... and where they should be.

His talent is there, just not good enough talent to overcome him out of position. Those cost games in playoffs. Plus it would hurt the financial salary cap game if he played 10 games.

He will be in the show soon enough, but this year is not the year.

Old
04-28-2014, 07:55 PM
burd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1024 View Post
FLATOUT...... Teuvo is not ready for the playoffs. His talent is there and we can call see that. But he seemed out of place and out of position/sync with the offense. He often run into other hawks while out on the ice. Playoffs is not the time to hammer out these kinks. Everyone else has been playing 30+ games and practices together. They all know where each other are... and where they should be.

His talent is there, just not good enough talent to overcome him out of position. Those cost games in playoffs. Plus it would hurt the financial salary cap game if he played 10 games.

He will be in the show soon enough, but this year is not the year.
Makes you realize how special Kane and Toews were at 19.

Old
04-28-2014, 08:04 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:

Seems like shining in the Finnish league didn't mean that much after all at the NHL level. A month ago many Hawks fans were asking why there are so many Finns telling you that you should not expect Teuvo to make much of an impact straight away. We were told that we don't understand North American hockey and some people even told us to leave the Blackhawks section alone. Well, I'll say again what I said a month ago: we've seen kids dominate the Finnish league before, and we know how well that domination usually translates into NHL level right from the get-go. Maybe we know more about North American hockey than you know about the difference between the FEL and the NHL.

If Teräväinen makes the team, he won't necessarily be playing center. Finland will probably have loads of options for that position: Mikko Koivu, Mikael Granlund, Olli Jokinen, Erik Haula, Jarkko Immonen, Jori Lehterä and Petri Kontiola are all players who might be in the team. Kontiola has some kind of an injury though.
Didn't watch the games over there in Finland, did ya?

Teravainen was solid in the games he played. He was good against Dallas, just fine against Boston and solid against Pittsburgh. More than his play went into him sticking with the Hawks at the end of the year. He showed he could play at this level, and flashed the offensive ability that Hawk fans are going to love going forward.

Old
04-28-2014, 08:21 PM
Taze em

What's Teuvo up to nowadays anyways?

Old
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taze em View Post
What's Teuvo up to nowadays anyways?
He went back to Finland. Last I heard he was playing in the euro hockey challenge and was probably going to play at the WC.

Old
04-28-2014, 08:54 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Pirri was just expendable. Period.

Old
04-29-2014, 05:19 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Pirri is still expendable

Closed Thread