HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Teuvo Teravainen to IceHogs

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Kathryn Tappen
yeah whatever ****

vCash: 500
Going to the Wolves game tomorrow. I've been to one before, but it was over 5 years ago. I know nothing of the team or AHL.

Should be fun I guess?

Old
05-01-2014, 01:00 PM
Periwinkle

^Random.

Some Teuvo tidbits for those of you keeping tabs:

-He finished third, as expected, in the Player association's FEL Player of the Year vote. He received 16 #1 votes, winner received 95 #1 votes. Players couldn't vote for a player in their own team.

-Teuvo has been asked a lot about his time in NA, the most interesting comments were about the media circus- doesn't seem like he was prepared for it. He said that after the first morning ice he saw all these reporters and thought they were interviewing Toews or something because of all the cameras. Then he had to give interviews in English ("my great English"). He was even asked about the Superman photoshop in the newspaper and said it was "quite something".

-on the topic of media interest, there's been a lot now in Finland too. Probably most out of all the NT players at the moment, although it's not circus level by any means. Just by going by the interest and speculations, the general feeling seems to be that a lot of people want to see him in the WHC's or at least are curious what he can show in the Euro Hockey Challenge/Euro Hockey Tour. One could maybe call it Teuvowatch, part 2.

-In the NT games he played with yet another number:24.

-In this season, he has played in:
Lake Placid tournament
Chicago training camp
FEL, (almost) full regular season
WJC's, being the captain and winning gold
NHL, three games
AHL, five games
Adult national team, 2 games so far

Quite a rollercoaster season for anyone.

Sources for Finnish speakers:

one
two
three

Old
05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Taze em

He needs a break.

Old
05-01-2014, 02:39 PM
Periwinkle

I can agree with that on principle but in his interviews he also says it's always been his dream to play in the WHC's and it would be a dream come true and it was also one of his goals for the season. He seems really humble about his chances of making it, though. He says that the knowledge that season is drawing to an end helps with having the energy levels even with the long season behind him.

So if he wants to play, I would be more than happy to see him play for a few more weeks. Crazy season and media scrutiny to have for such a young guy, though.
additional source for the info

Old
05-01-2014, 08:20 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
I can agree with that on principle but in his interviews he also says it's always been his dream to play in the WHC's and it would be a dream come true and it was also one of his goals for the season. He seems really humble about his chances of making it, though. He says that the knowledge that season is drawing to an end helps with having the energy levels even with the long season behind him.

So if he wants to play, I would be more than happy to see him play for a few more weeks. Crazy season and media scrutiny to have for such a young guy, though.
additional source for the info
Thanks so much for the update - very appreciated. Please keep us updated.

I've been reading the thread in the International Tournaments section on Team Finland and the latest has some announcers thinking he may not make the team, followed by someone posting an interview with the coach which sounded positive for TT - so it appears TT making the team is still in doubt. I'm with you and hope he makes it because it would be a good experience for him.

Old
05-02-2014, 06:57 AM
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron

If the NT coach (Westerlund) thinks about the future at all, he picks TT over more known and safe picks. As a coach he has little to loose because he was hired for the Olympics primarily and won't continue beyond '14 WHC regardless of results.

Old
05-03-2014, 03:00 PM
EverybodyLovesRay

Teuvo was selected in Liiga All-Star Team.

He also won President's trophy (No idea what it means )

Old
05-04-2014, 02:10 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverybodyLovesRay View Post
Teuvo was selected in Liiga All-Star Team.

He also won President's trophy (No idea what it means )
The President's trophy is from the Finnish Hockey Federation, I guess it's because his performance in the WJC along with his Liiga performance.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Erikfromfin

His doing "well" for the national team.

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/46F...MFTetFpIhlB9W9

Old
05-04-2014, 09:00 AM
mikko1995

From the looks of it Teräväinen was not named to the World Championship team.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:47 AM
Kurtosis
Trying Not To Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
Well that sucks.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Lepardi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikko1995 View Post
That's not exactly shocking news, although I personally thought Teräväinen would make the team, when Minnesota beat Colorado and took Granlund, Koivu and Haula out of Westerlund's reach for now. I still think that If the Wild gets knocked out quickly by Chicago, they should try to get Granlund and Koivu to come to the WC. I think Granlund in his current form could tear up the tournament.

Here is Hockey Sensible's take on Finnish national team selection (posted about six weeks ago):

Quote:
If Teravainen isn't a lock for the team this year, than that tells me more about the stupidity of their coaching/selection team than it does Teravainen. He was one of (if not the) best player in Finland after the WJC.
Erkka Westerlund picked the following centers to play in the tournament: Olli Jokinen, Petri Kontiola, Jori Lehterä, Petteri Wirtanen and Jarkko Immonen. It doesn't matter much if you're "one of the best players in Finland", when you're competing against players from Canada, Russia and Ukraine. Those players spent the season playing against competition that's far superior to the Finnish Elite League.

Michael Keränen was voted the best player in the Finnish league this season both by hockey writers and his fellow players. He didn't make the WC team either. As I tried to tell you before: shining in the Finnish league doesn't mean much at the international level, even when it's only the WC and not the Olympics.

Last edited by Lepardi: 05-04-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old
05-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Ace Rothstein
Aces High

Teuvo didn't make the team due to his poor line changes.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...162819683.html

Old
05-04-2014, 12:36 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Old
05-04-2014, 12:59 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Pretty funny. Made me think of Havlat.

Old
05-04-2014, 01:42 PM
Periwinkle

For those interested in Teuvo's NT performance/why he didn't make the team, the breakdown was basically this:

When playing center, he had two good games, he and his line being the best line in those games. He showed his usual good playmaking, albeit in flashes. Teuvo posted 1+1 (3-0 win) and 0+1 (2-1 SO win) in those games. One game as a center was weaker.

Team FIN has the issue that we have lots of C's available, but only a few quality wingers. So Teuvo was tried as winger in one game, and was invisible/didn't show anything/looked generally lost - he shared the line with two(!) other "love to keep the puck" centers, including our 1C (someone Chicago fans might remember- Petri Kontiola) so he barely got the chance to touch the puck. But it was enough to determine he wouldn't cut it as a winger. Looks like he's such a natural C now. Other glaring issue is that he simply doesn't have the physicality yet.

The 1C and 2C roles are for Kontiola and Olli Jokinen, so he wasn't going to overtake them, didn't cut is as a top 6 winger, and in FIN's system has no role in 3rd or 4th line which are filled with grinders mostly playing 0-0. He was actually one of our best players in today's game, so it's not like he failed to show anything, it's just how the roles are determined in the team. (Not all of us are happy with all the selections, but FIN thread in the International forum is the place for that discussion).

The good thing is, now he has time to rest, practise and build strenght, hopefully enough to be succesful in pursuing a spot in the Hawks next season.

Old
05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
For those interested in Teuvo's NT performance/why he didn't make the team, the breakdown was basically this:

When playing center, he had two good games, he and his line being the best line in those games. He showed his usual good playmaking, albeit in flashes. Teuvo posted 1+1 (3-0 win) and 0+1 (2-1 SO win) in those games. One game as a center was weaker.

Team FIN has the issue that we have lots of C's available, but only a few quality wingers. So Teuvo was tried as winger in one game, and was invisible/didn't show anything/looked generally lost - he shared the line with two(!) other "love to keep the puck" centers, including our 1C (someone Chicago fans might remember- Petri Kontiola) so he barely got the chance to touch the puck. But it was enough to determine he wouldn't cut it as a winger. Looks like he's such a natural C now. Other glaring issue is that he simply doesn't have the physicality yet.

The 1C and 2C roles are for Kontiola and Olli Jokinen, so he wasn't going to overtake them, didn't cut is as a top 6 winger, and in FIN's system has no role in 3rd or 4th line which are filled with grinders mostly playing 0-0. He was actually one of our best players in today's game, so it's not like he failed to show anything, it's just how the roles are determined in the team. (Not all of us are happy with all the selections, but FIN thread in the International forum is the place for that discussion).

The good thing is, now he has time to rest, practise and build strenght, hopefully enough to be succesful in pursuing a spot in the Hawks next season.
Unfortunately some of us do. I thought he had a decent shot to make the Hawks but I didnt know he didnt want to or like to work out, at least at that time. Another in a list of failed draft picks.

Old
05-04-2014, 05:46 PM
hisgirlfriday
Global Moderator

Too bad Teuvo didn't make it.

Does he come back to join the Black Aces then?

Old
05-05-2014, 12:40 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'd say go to vacation and prepare for the season.

Old
05-05-2014, 12:58 AM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:

Thanks for the info - gives us a clearer picture of what happened. It might end up being the best thing for him - to get away from hockey for a little bit and then get on a strength and conditioning regimen and be ready to go in Hawks training camp.

Old
05-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Lepardi

Quote:
The 1C and 2C roles are for Kontiola and Olli Jokinen, so he wasn't going to overtake them, didn't cut is as a top 6 winger, and in FIN's system has no role in 3rd or 4th line
This is what Westerlund said about cutting Teräväinen: "This might be a surprise to the media. Teräväinen was fighting for a spot with Olli Jokinen, Petri Kontiola and Jarkko Immonen. Had I picked him, I would have had to cut one of those guys."

http://yle.fi/urheilu/westerlund_ei_..._tassa/7220321

From that I take it that he could have been the 3rd line center, had he been able to beat Jarkko Immonen, but he was never going to be picked over Petteri Wirtanen. Immonen led the tournament in scoring and was an all-star when Finland took gold in the world championships three years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Unfortunately some of us do. I thought he had a decent shot to make the Hawks but I didnt know he didnt want to or like to work out, at least at that time. Another in a list of failed draft picks.
Well what do teams usually get with 7th round picks?

Last edited by Lepardi: 05-05-2014 at 03:49 AM.
Old
05-05-2014, 07:17 AM
ChiGuySez
#Team GammaRayBurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepardi View Post
Well what do teams usually get with 7th round picks?
It is extremely rare a low round pick is able to stick, however it did not look like Kontiola was a typical 7th round pick. Already had 1 season in Finlands top league Liiga, played 12 games with 5 pts for the Hawks in his brief call up when he crossed the pond. Also was close to a ppg player in his first year at Rockford. The thing was at least from what I read somewhere was that Kontiola didnt like to work out and was out of shape despite his skills. It was only after he was cut that he decided to do any physical training. Same deal with Granlund. Didnt train in ernest until last season and turned his game around.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:13 AM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post

His stint with the Hawks was almost a carbon copy of Pirri. Had a great year at Rockford, gets called up to play and played wing instead of C f, played decent sent down and shipped out. 5 assists in 12 games

Last edited by Hawkscap: 05-05-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old
05-05-2014, 09:43 AM
hisgirlfriday
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Thanks for the info - gives us a clearer picture of what happened. It might end up being the best thing for him - to get away from hockey for a little bit and then get on a strength and conditioning regimen and be ready to go in Hawks training camp.
Would the Hawks really just send him home though? The Hawks have included pretty much everyone else under contract on their Black Aces list and included them as part of the postseason, even if just from the pressbox.

Old
05-05-2014, 10:06 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
Would the Hawks really just send him home though? The Hawks have included pretty much everyone else under contract on their Black Aces list and included them as part of the postseason, even if just from the pressbox.
He's already back in Europe. It does no good for him to have to come all the way back to Chicago just to sit in the pressbox. His season's already been long enough. He should just rest then prepare for next season.

Closed Thread