HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oilers Going To World Hockey Championships (Petry, Marincin, Larsen, Scrivens)

Old
04-11-2014, 01:03 AM
Speed220BChalavan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Saying we should trade players because they won't fly halfway around the world to play in a meaningless tournament for free could be one of the silliest things I've ever seen on these boards.

It's even stupider when you take into account that this would be the first time any of them have ever said no to Team Canada in their careers.
Obviously you don't trade them, but it is disturbing if they're not going without any valid reason.

They're not tied to each other. Each of them should be making individual decisions, not collectively.

It would be something if they're accomplished veterans who needed some rest after playing in the playoffs in recent years. They're not. This is an opportunity for them to play some meaningful games, to exemplify leadership roles, to strive to improve their game. It's about character.

They've accomplished nothing in their career that makes them above playing in the world championships. Heck, just look at some of the seasoned accomplished veterans who have played in recent years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Championships

Martin St. Louis (2009, 2013), Eric Staal (2013), Jay Bouwmeester (2012), Duncan Keith (2012), Ryan Getzlaf (2012), Andrew Ladd (2012), Corey Perry (2010, 2012), Patrick Sharp (2008, 2012), Matt Duchene (2010, 2011, 2013), Jason Spezza (2011), Ryan Smyth (2012 Spengler Cup).

The evidence that the Oilers kids are coddled with no accountability is mounting.

Speed220BChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:09 AM
schutney

I don't personally care either way it doesn't change my opinion of the three.

But dont some of you find it odd that all three would decline at this point in their careers?

It does seem to be a bad PR move as evidenced by how pissed off some of the posters are.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:20 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
if they all go, they can probably stay together as a line

Good for Perron.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:20 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewafa View Post
Obviously you don't trade them, but it is disturbing if they're not going without any valid reason.

They're not tied to each other. Each of them should be making individual decisions, not collectively.

It would be something if they're accomplished veterans who needed some rest after playing in the playoffs in recent years. They're not. This is an opportunity for them to play some meaningful games, to exemplify leadership roles, to strive to improve their game. It's about character.

They've accomplished nothing in their career that makes them above playing in the world championships. Heck, just look at some of the seasoned accomplished veterans who have played in recent years:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._Championships

Martin St. Louis (2009, 2013), Eric Staal (2013), Jay Bouwmeester (2012), Duncan Keith (2012), Ryan Getzlaf (2012), Andrew Ladd (2012), Corey Perry (2010, 2012), Patrick Sharp (2008, 2012), Matt Duchene (2010, 2011, 2013), Jason Spezza (2011), Ryan Smyth (2012 Spengler Cup).

The evidence that the Oilers kids are coddled with no accountability is mounting.
You know who is really coddled and full of entitlement?

Jarome Iginla

He declined every WHC offer after 97, despite missing the playoffs the majority of the time while rarely being injured.

What a loser! No accountability what-so-ever.

Or, more realistically, it's an optional tournament that no one is obligated to play in unless they want to.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:48 AM
BleedingOil

They all have lives outside hockey and its a stupid tournment anyways.

BleedingOil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:50 AM
Speed220BChalavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
They all have lives outside hockey and its a stupid tournment anyways.
Yeah instead of a 4.5 months off-season, these guys need a full 5 months. They really earned it this year.

Speed220BChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:35 AM
LaGu

WHC is one of the biggest hockey events of the year for fans outside of NA. That is a fact. It is a chance for many fans in Europe to see some of the biggest stars of the game live and/or at a normal hour.

I think it is a damn shame that so many fans put on NA blinders when it comes to the WHC. You may not care one bit about the tournament, that's fine, but not realizing that it is important for fans who do not live in the "NHL time zone" shouldn't be that difficult.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
WHC is one of the biggest hockey events of the year for fans outside of NA. That is a fact. It is a chance for many fans in Europe to see some of the biggest stars of the game live and/or at a normal hour.

I think it is a damn shame that so many fans put on NA blinders when it comes to the WHC. You may not care one bit about the tournament, that's fine, but not realizing that it is important for fans who do not live in the "NHL time zone" shouldn't be that difficult.
That's fine, even great that European fans get a tournament where they can see high profile players in their time zones.

The issue is whether players are obligated to go(they aren't), and also whether it denotes some kind of selfish or entitled mentality to turn down the opportunity to play there(it doesn't).

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:07 AM
IAGTTAYM

vCash: 333
Quote:

I went to Canada's games last year in Stockholm and the arena wasn't even half full. And that is not abnormal for WC games, every year the attendance shows that the interest is low in Europe.

IAGTTAYM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:18 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
Anyone who's truly concerned over whether Hall and co. go to this thing should be on the first plane to Minsk to show their support.

I love the hysterics of the fans who bleat that players should go because it's a honour blah blah blah.
Who the **** wants to go to Minsk, especially when Russia is about to invade the Ukraine, to play in a tournament nobody here gives a **** about?

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Hammer8

Quote:

I don't give a **** about fans outside my postal code. Why should I give a **** about fans in Belarus?

Old
04-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingOil View Post
......its a stupid tournment anyways.
Yup. The tournament is a complete waste of time when the playoffs are on. It's not even close to best on best so how can it be called a World Championship? Canada should send the CIAU Champions.

Then I'd be interested.

Old
04-11-2014, 07:48 AM
Perfect_Drug

It would be nice for them to go.

As Smyth once said "I want to get used to playing hockey in the spring".

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:02 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAGTTAYM View Post
I went to Canada's games last year in Stockholm and the arena wasn't even half full. And that is not abnormal for WC games, every year the attendance shows that the interest is low in Europe.
They have had a couple of bad years, most likely because of ticket prices since they are competing with soccer where tickets are much cheaper. The problem with empty stands is something that has come up the last couple of years unfortunately.

People are still watching the games on TV though and looking at Europe in general I think you will have a tough time to find another hockey event with a bigger audience.

Old
04-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Hammer8

Then let them have a European championship. Everyone knows it's a sham tournament. The best players are still playing in North America.

Old
04-11-2014, 08:33 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
It would be nice for them to go.

As Smyth once said "I want to get used to playing hockey in the spring".
And I, who also doesn't give a crap about fans elsewhere want to see our special oilers win something or at least give it their all. Show me. Make me believe again. Or get on with your summer fun (this is what I fully expect).

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Saying we should trade players because they won't fly halfway around the world to play in a meaningless tournament for free could be one of the silliest things I've ever seen on these boards.

It's even stupider when you take into account that this would be the first time any of them have ever said no to Team Canada in their careers.
I'm not saying trade em because of this at all! I'm saying it is the last straw of their slack effort most nights and obvious entitlement and I need them to make me believe in them again.

I would have trade one of the fab four months ago without hesitation.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:48 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
That's fine, even great that European fans get a tournament where they can see high profile players in their time zones.

The issue is whether players are obligated to go(they aren't), and also whether it denotes some kind of selfish or entitled mentality to turn down the opportunity to play there(it doesn't).
I agree with this to a certain extent. Of course they are not obligated to go play in the WHC, there are many valid reasons why for players to decline, injury, fatigue, family, motivation, etc. I am ok with players declining but I think they should explain why so that people can judge for themselves what to make of it.

The thing is they are ice hockey players and despite the fact that they are under contract they have been brought up and developed by their countries from a very young age and I think they should suit up if possible when the country calls for them. I have never played hockey for a living but I don't think it is like working shifts at GM and when you come home you don't want to see or hear anything about your day-job. I think they love the game and that is why a player like Stamkos has joined when able to (shoulder injury in 2012).

Anyway, this is just re-hashing the same old over and over again. There will always be players who tend say no to the WHC and there will always be players who tend to say yes. I think it is easier to say no if you are in NA, in Europe the papers will always put you reason for declining into question.

Old
04-11-2014, 08:53 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindo View Post
Yeah, who cares really they're pretty meaningless. Rather have them train and stay healthy.
yeah, i could care less about the world championships... they don't mean anything to me.... so i'd rather have my oilers players recovering and then training.... also, i don't like the idea of them possibly getting hurt for games that don't mean *anything*

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You know who is really coddled and full of entitlement?

Jarome Iginla

He declined every WHC offer after 97, despite missing the playoffs the majority of the time while rarely being injured.

What a loser! No accountability what-so-ever.

Or, more realistically, it's an optional tournament that no one is obligated to play in unless they want to.

Shut down the thread.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:55 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
If those guys chose not to go then I'm 100% in favour of blowing up the rebuold and putting them all on the market, I'm serious, even Hall. Freaking losers, bailing have no clue what it takes to even get into the playoffs.

I'm sure they will show up after having their arms twisted.
so all the players who have said no in the past are losers? okaaaaaay

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:00 AM
LaGu

Oh, and I'd freakin love to see Smyth dress up for one last tournement. I'd put away my SWE jersey and buy a CAN / Smyth for the occasion.

Would they call him though?...

Old
04-11-2014, 09:03 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
lol hfoil is hilarious,

Hall, nuge, and eberle have been invited but are undecided.

"trade them"

"losers"

"no heart"

"hurt their chances at a olympic team invite"

etc etc

or maybe... they have injuries they have been playing through and want to recover properly. there is no way halls back doesnt hurt form carrying the team all season.

but this is HF oil so its probably more likely they have planned trips to all other NHL cities with their agents to see where they want to play when they demand trades in June.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:12 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post

Shut down the thread.
No need to shut down the thread, the topic is not "EDM players are classless if they don't go play in the WHC". It is simply about EDM players going/or not going to the WHC which at least I want to read about since I intend to watch it.

Old
04-11-2014, 09:14 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:

I think it's that on topof the fact we have finished last twice second last twice and seventh last once over the past 5years.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote