HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Going To World Hockey Championships (Petry, Marincin, Larsen, Scrivens)

Old
04-11-2014, 09:40 AM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Tons of high profile players decline the invitation every year from both successful and unsuccessful teams alike. Even Canada's golden boys Crosby and Toews have declined before. If you guys think this makes Hall/RNH/Eberle posionous or losers, than boy the 2014 Canadian Olympic hockey team must have been a toxic cesspool.
Yeah tons of guys decline that have went to international tourneys for years or you know actually had long play off runs or had legit injuries.

You'd think a bunch of 21 year olds coming of a pure shi* season would be asking what the 1st flight was rather than humming and hawwing. Yeah it shows something to me. No desire to make up for a terrible year, no desire to serve your country, pretty good idea why these guys are on a loser team. They appear to be content to be losers. As I said I'm sure they will have their arms twisted but it's pathetic there is even a hesitation.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:42 AM
schutney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Yeah tons of guys decline that have went to international tourneys for years or you know actually had long play off runs or had legit injuries.

You'd think a bunch of 21 year olds coming of a pure shi* season would be asking what the 1st flight was rather than humming and hawwing. Yeah it shows something to me. No desire to make up for a terrible year, no desire to serve your country, pretty good idea why these guys are on a loser team. They appear to be content to be losers. As I said I'm sure they will have their arms twisted but it's pathetic there is even a hesitation.
It really is bad optically. Who tells these guys what to do, they're a PR nightmare.

schutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
Yeah. The guy was one of the top scorers in the NHL last season and they treated him like a fourth liner. I don't know why people think he should be obligated to go back.
What bs, Hall was not selected because he didn't deserve to be on the team and would not have fit in with what they wanted to do. The last worlds he played terrible when he got the chance and thus sat or was not used.

Old
04-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
You know who is really coddled and full of entitlement?

Jarome Iginla

He declined every WHC offer after 97, despite missing the playoffs the majority of the time while rarely being injured.

What a loser! No accountability what-so-ever.

Or, more realistically, it's an optional tournament that no one is obligated to play in unless they want to.
So, you are 21 years old.
You have just played yet another awful season of being on a losing team.
You have the chance to put the maple leaf on, something that many players with lower skills would kill for.
You have a chance to end your hockey year as a winner instead of a loser.
You have the chance to show you belong internationally so you can get an invite to the next big show.
Your team has not made the playoffs since you started so you have NO CLUE what it is like to games in crunch time after the season.

Aww.....but I want to go to the lake or hit the links.

This kind of thing is a pretty clear indication why this team is weak, not prepared to commit and acts entitled. Hell if they asked 100 year old Ryan Smyth he's probably go no questions asked.

Old
04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
WHC is one of the biggest hockey events of the year for fans outside of NA. That is a fact. It is a chance for many fans in Europe to see some of the biggest stars of the game live and/or at a normal hour.

I think it is a damn shame that so many fans put on NA blinders when it comes to the WHC. You may not care one bit about the tournament, that's fine, but not realizing that it is important for fans who do not live in the "NHL time zone" shouldn't be that difficult.
This tournament means pretty much nothing to Canadians, it's a waste of time.

For a fan base that is always being praised for being one of the smartest in the league we sure have a bunch of idiots.

Suggesting that any of these guys be traded in reaction to them turning this invite down is asinine.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
Anyone who's truly concerned over whether Hall and co. go to this thing should be on the first plane to Minsk to show their support.
Personally I'm kind of grateful all the players on this club are leaning on declining to play. It kind of removes any temptation of having to watch these clowns play anymore this hockey season. I don't even know if I'll feel like watching this crew again in September.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
And tons of guys just didn't feel like going.

Quote:
You'd think a bunch of 21 year olds coming of a pure shi* season would be asking what the 1st flight was rather than humming and hawwing. Yeah it shows something to me. No desire to make up for a terrible year, no desire to serve your country, pretty good idea why these guys are on a loser team. They appear to be content to be losers. As I said I'm sure they will have their arms twisted but it's pathetic there is even a hesitation
Not going to a pretty meaningless tournament on the opposite end of the earth has nothing to do with being a loser. Pretty easy for you to say behind your keyboard.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
So, you are 21 years old.
You have just played yet another awful season of being on a losing team.
You have the chance to put the maple leaf on, something that many players with lower skills would kill for.
You have a chance to end your hockey year as a winner instead of a loser.
You have the chance to show you belong internationally so you can get an invite to the next big show.
Your team has not made the playoffs since you started so you have NO CLUE what it is like to games in crunch time after the season.

Aww.....but I want to go to the lake or hit the links.

This kind of thing is a pretty clear indication why this team is weak, not prepared to commit and acts entitled. Hell if they asked 100 year old Ryan Smyth he's probably go no questions asked.
Weren't Horcoff and Smyth perennial players in this tourney? I don't recall that doing the Oilers many favors. Don't necessarily see the benefit in players altering what their end year experience was through the WHC. Personally I'd rather them consider the year on the abject failure it was and perhaps do something about it. Not to go find some phony silver linings in Europe. **** that.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Weren't Horcoff and Smyth perennial players in this tourney? I don't recall that doing the Oilers many favors. Don't necessarily see the benefit in players altering what their end year experience was through the WHC. Personally I'd rather them consider the year on the abject failure it was and perhaps do something about it. Not to go find some phony silver linings in Europe. **** that.
PRV went one year and won MVP did he not? And look how much that benefited him!

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:08 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
PRV went one year and won MVP did he not? And look how much that benefited him!
Don't get me started..

But yeah, what does playing in the WHC have to do with learning to play in the WC? No comparison and very little transferable benefit experientially or otherwise.

Its gotten so bad here I could see where the Oilers brass don't even want the players experiencing a different, better, atmosphere and wondering..who really says its only the players saying no?

I wonder if its even being suggested not to go. I could see this insular org doing that right now.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:09 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
maybe they want to stay in the 780 area code so they dont have to get skyped by MacT

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
maybe they want to stay in the 780 area code so they dont have to get skyped by MacT
I would think the majority of the club would mirror Jones comments and welcome a different area code. This is a club playing like it wants out of town.

Seattle would be fine with me at this point..

Old
04-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
And tons of guys just didn't feel like going.

Not going to a pretty meaningless tournament on the opposite end of the earth has nothing to do with being a loser. Pretty easy for you to say behind your keyboard.
lol, If I had any real ability to play the game at a reasonably high level I'd be in my bosses office in 30 seconds telling him I'm taking time off for 3 weeks to go across the pond to play for my country.

People Complain about the team being near dead last again, complain in game threads about pathetic efforts on the ice. Pat them on the head for not going to an international event when they have no good excuse, other than perhaps some invented injury tweaks.

Lack of character, wanting to win something in hockey and actually be ready to play for something in mid april, all exposed.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:54 AM
Bank

So... Philip Larsen? Would they try and get him through waivers(He'd need to right?) to Oklahoma for a playoff run with the kids or would the Oilers be okay with him going to the WC?

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewafa View Post
Usually they are accomplished players or players with families/kids who decline such invites.

What exactly have these 3 accomplished yet? Nor should their decisions be collective instead of individual.
So just because you're less accomplished means you get less freedom of choice than others? Also, every year there are players under the age of 25 without Stanley Cups or anything that decline the invite, it's not like Hall/RNH/Eberle are the first ones to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
Has nothing to do with oweing anybody it shows character and drive. Fighter or slacker, this will show something for sure. Or put it this way they damn well owe oiler fans some meaningful effort.

It might be a bit strenuous. They played so hard this year.

I agree if they turn it down without a good excuse then my vote is to 100% get rid of all or break up the gang and keep one. Let the GM decide who to keep.

Tired of watching little effort and the same old.
Jonathan Toews lacks character and drive by your logic. Players reject the invite all the time simply because they want to rest up.
Quote:
lol, If I had any real ability to play the game at a reasonably high level I'd be in my bosses office in 30 seconds telling him I'm taking time off for 3 weeks to go across the pond to play for my country.

People Complain about the team being near dead last again, complain in game threads about pathetic efforts on the ice. Pat them on the head for not going to an international event when they have no good excuse, other than perhaps some invented injury tweaks.

Lack of character, wanting to win something in hockey and actually be ready to play for something in mid april, all exposed.
Well if you're so patriotic why don't you go back in time, get good at hockey, and play then? All 3 have played in WHCs before and it hasn't exactly benefitted them as players. They're also not the reason this team is full of losers. Hall especially is one of the few guys that bring it every night. Padding your stats against Latvia isn't going to suddenly make the rest of the team good.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank View Post
So... Philip Larsen? Would they try and get him through waivers(He'd need to right?) to Oklahoma for a playoff run with the kids or would the Oilers be okay with him going to the WC?
He's already been through, i think the idea is for him to go and play in the playoffs for OKC, sorry to the Danes.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
As long as the kids are healthy, I would love to see them go to the WHC, it's a good experience for them, imo, but it's their call.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Aerchon

Every player, coach, management, or generally employee of the oilers organization is literally part of the biggest losing organization current working in the NHL...

I don't care what any of these people do. They need a break, take it. They need more playing time, go for it. The world cup has no bearing on NHL success period. This organization needs to do whatever it can to become a true NHL team aka not a loser anymore. Anything else doesn't matter.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

Well if you're so patriotic why don't you go back in time, get good at hockey, and play then? All 3 have played in WHCs before and it hasn't exactly benefitted them as players. They're also not the reason this team is full of losers. Hall especially is one of the few guys that bring it every night. Padding your stats against Latvia isn't going to suddenly make the rest of the team good.
Here are the benefits.

You get to have a fresh start on a yet another turd year and win something and for anyone bleating about this thing doesn't matter take a look at when teams actually do win a gold in that tourney, hell even in the freakin spengler cup. Winning is a culture and you can a season on a higher note than being booed off home ice.

You get to play internationally and show that community that you deserve consideration for more important tourneys.

You get to play meaningful games after the year is over, as meaningful as playoff games? No but still there is something on the line.

You get to experience some hard travel and possible hard games in April and May, something foreign to any oiler player.

You give something to your fans, as much as people are sloughing this off oiler fans will be watching and be happy if their boys play well.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
For free? In Minsk? After just playing an 82 game season?

K bud.

Quote:
They don't need an excuse. There's no obligation for them to go.

Quote:
No one cares about the WHC. i wonder what you'd say if they went and one of them got injured. Probably "WHARGHARBBL! WHY ARE THEY PLAYING IN THIS DUMB TOURNAMENT ANYWAY?"

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Every player, coach, management, or generally employee of the oilers organization is literally part of the biggest losing organization current working in the NHL...

I don't care what any of these people do. They need a break, take it. They need more playing time, go for it. The world cup has no bearing on NHL success period. This organization needs to do whatever it can to become a true NHL team aka not a loser anymore. Anything else doesn't matter.
Yeah we need to take a break after starting our summers at our traditional time of April 15th each and every year. This team is soft, uncommitted, takes losing easily and has had no prep for playoff hockey and they need rest.

Old
04-11-2014, 11:29 AM
Natepollock92

Quote:
So just because you're less accomplished means you get less freedom of choice than others? Also, every year there are players under the age of 25 without Stanley Cups or anything that decline the invite, it's not like Hall/RNH/Eberle are the first ones to do it.
Jonathan Toews lacks character and drive by your logic. Players reject the invite all the time simply because they want to rest up.

GET OUT OF HERE WITH YOUR LOGIC!!

on a serious note i honestly don't want them to go to the tournament, NO ONE CARES, seriously why would you want them to go. Hall has went before and they buried him on the 4th line, i wouldn't go if i was him. I'd concentrate on the team that pays my bills and the fans that bleed copper and blue that haven't seen playoff hockey in 8 years.

Natepollock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:40 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Here are the benefits.

You get to have a fresh start on a yet another turd year and win something and for anyone bleating about this thing doesn't matter take a look at when teams actually do win a gold in that tourney, hell even in the freakin spengler cup. Winning is a culture and you can a season on a higher note than being booed off home ice.

You get to play internationally and show that community that you deserve consideration for more important tourneys.

You get to play meaningful games after the year is over, as meaningful as playoff games? No but still there is something on the line.

You get to experience some hard travel and possible hard games in April and May, something foreign to any oiler player.

You give something to your fans, as much as people are sloughing this off oiler fans will be watching and be happy if their boys play well.
I can't capture this part at all. Certainly wouldn't be choosing to watch more of the players on this team and certainly wouldn't be pleased if they played well elsewhere and not here. Anymore than I would with Ales Hemsky doing it. If anything it would piss me off.

Old
04-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Bank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He's already been through, i think the idea is for him to go and play in the playoffs for OKC, sorry to the Danes.
Wouldn't his 10+ games with the Oilers post-last waiver clearing make him eligible for another confirmation that no other NHL club wants him? Not that it matters. Thanks for the reply

Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 12:13 PM
backhandsauce

I'd like to see them go for the simple reason they will have actual NHL defenseman to move the puck to them.

backhandsauce is online now   Reply With Quote