HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Whispers of KHL pursuing Ovechkin

Old
04-11-2014, 04:03 PM
KuemperTantrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brog View Post
I hope he goes, I really, really do. Bum.
Yeah, the only guy to score 50 this year is such a bum, right? Lol, some people are so ridiculous it's incredible.

KuemperTantrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 04:45 PM
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Unless he has heard whispers that Ovi is inclined to follow the siren calls, this is not even news. Why would the KHL do anything other than pursue him? Everyone on her could make up that crap just as well.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 12:18 AM
madinsomniac

I honestly don't think Ovie would go... Kovy was a different case. Not everyone is chasing every penny and not everyone is in a mad rush to play in Russia, even if it is their home... He could easily have stayed and gotten the same paydays back when he came over originally

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 12:29 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
How so? The players make more money now than they ever did... all thanks to the cap. Average player salary today is at least twice what it was pre-cap (I believe 2.6m vs 1.3m). Additionally, now that the owners have a cap, there's not a chance in hell it'll ever get removed (and rightfully so). And the players trying to do so, would only result in another year lost.
Average players make way more. The best players have only just recently started making as much as they did pre-salary cap.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:17 AM
Halpysback

If I was Ovi I'd go for it. Nothing to gain playing in NA, having to stare down haters and incompetent management every day. He's a freaking entertainer and one of the best at what he does, might as well go somewhere where people appreciate it. "Eternal glory" my ass

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Callum
Kiwi

As they should be, can't see him leaving the NHL though.

Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
If I was Ovi I'd go for it. Nothing to gain playing in NA, having to stare down haters and incompetent management every day. He's a freaking entertainer and one of the best at what he does, might as well go somewhere where people appreciate it. "Eternal glory" my ass
Ovi has his fair share of detractors in Russia as well and he's not as universally adored by Russian fans as you suggest. One comment yesterday from a Russian fan on whether or not Ovi will play in the upcoming World Championship... "Stay in Washington you bring nothing of value to the National Team."

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
jeff leonard

Quote:
It's more than just money. Ovechkin is as famous as a person can be in Russia. I'm talking supermodels, lunches with Putin, red carpet treatment, etc.

In America he's just an ugly guy with a lot of money.

Ov is a primadonna, something tells me the allure of fame would be enticing to him.
lol what? You don't know the guy. you're making statements on his character based on generalizations and rumors. just stop. hfboards is ridiculous. if you dont like him, thats fine, but there's no need to pretend like your opinion of him is established fact. grow up

jeff leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:16 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff leonard View Post
lol what? You don't know the guy. you're making statements on his character based on generalizations and rumors. just stop. hfboards is ridiculous. if you dont like him, thats fine, but there's no need to pretend like your opinion of him is established fact. grow up
I really do think there is enough evidence to deem OV a primadonna. In fact, I'd argue that if you don't hold that opinion, you're either blind or just not paying attention.

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:56 AM
Dellstrom
We Like Eich

HFboards:

> "NHL is in the second dead puck era"
> "No PPG players, no great goal scorers"
> "The league needs to increase scoring"

> "I hope Ovechkin goes to the KHL"

????

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Ovi has his fair share of detractors in Russia as well and he's not as universally adored by Russian fans as you suggest. One comment yesterday from a Russian fan on whether or not Ovi will play in the upcoming World Championship... "Stay in Washington you bring nothing of value to the National Team."
Ovechkin has a lot of haters in Russia too, because he's so popular and marketed.
And he's definitely not the most fashionable Russian player, these are Malkin and (still) Datsyuk.

Quote:
I really do think there is enough evidence to deem OV a primadonna. In fact, I'd argue that if you don't hold that opinion, you're either blind or just not paying attention.
He's actually not enough of a prima donna, or he would tell his dumbass coach to G T F O after that idiot insisted on him playing on the RW.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Luca

vCash: 400
It could be win-win situation. Caps can start proper rebuild and Ovi gets league that is closer to his skill level.

Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:28 AM
AD1066

OV's never given any indication that he's unhappy or wants to leave. LeBrun just looking for page views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugray View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out if you choose money over eternal glory.
Eternal glory?

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Newfy IceCapd

vCash: 989
I'm sure the KHL is. I'd imagine there not whispers either, more like screams at the tone of 10+ Million a season. It's not really a secret the Russian Hockey League is after the best Russian player in the world. You'd be lost if you thought otherwise

Newfy IceCapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:47 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 50
this rumor is stupid. He can't leave if he wanted to. I doubt the caps would agree to terminate the contract Kovy style.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:53 AM
LOLKarlsson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
this rumor is stupid. He can't leave if he wanted to. I doubt the caps would agree to terminate the contract Kovy style.
What are they gonna do? Send some goons over to Russia to drag him back to America? Take him to international court?

LOLKarlsson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 12:51 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
It's more than just money. Ovechkin is as famous as a person can be in Russia. I'm talking supermodels, lunches with Putin, red carpet treatment, etc.

In America he's just an ugly guy with a lot of money.

Ov is a primadonna, something tells me the allure of fame would be enticing to him.
This one nails it. Not.

Ridiculously baseless post.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 12:52 PM
TAnnala

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
Kovalchuk says hi.
Not bigger than Bobby or Ovechkin.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:02 PM
Mr Positive

Quote:
What are they gonna do? Send some goons over to Russia to drag him back to America? Take him to international court?
We have non-poaching agreement with the KHL

The only reason that Kovy could leave was that New Jersey wanted him to go. They allowed it to happen. Why would Washington?

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
How has this thread even remained open for this long?

While it may give the KHL some cachet amongst their domestic fans to discreetly claim they'd be interested in pursuing Ovechkin, the fact of the matter is that the player is signed to an NHL contract that runs through the 2020/21 season.

http://capgeek.com/player/847

No transfer agreement exists between the leagues. He is bound to his NHL contract, period. If that contract was to be violated by the KHL then Ovechkin would be subject to an immediate suspension from international competition by the IIHF until NHL his contract was enforced. The KHL would also be at risk of a massive civil lawsuit in an international court.

In theory it sounds nice to float that a KHL team would like to sign Ovechkin, but in reality he is already under contract and his return to Russia is highly unlikely as such - at least until the 21/22 season.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:35 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

The collected northamerican NHL media is doing their part in trying to run him out of the league.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:40 PM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
How has this thread even remained open for this long?

While it may give the KHL some cachet amongst their domestic fans to discreetly claim they'd be interested in pursuing Ovechkin, the fact of the matter is that the player is signed to an NHL contract that runs through the 2020/21 season.

http://capgeek.com/player/847

No transfer agreement exists between the leagues. He is bound to his NHL contract, period. If that contract was to be violated by the KHL then Ovechkin would be subject to an immediate suspension from international competition by the IIHF until NHL his contract was enforced. The KHL would also be at risk of a massive civil lawsuit in an international court.

In theory it sounds nice to float that a KHL team would like to sign Ovechkin, but in reality he is already under contract and his return to Russia is highly unlikely as such - at least until the 21/22 season.
First I want to know what you mean by that, and then I want to know why the KHL would even care about that.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
First I want to know what you mean by that, and then I want to know why the KHL would even care about that.
What I mean by that is that the player is already under contract and that the two leagues have an agreement to respect each others contracts. If anyone intentionally violates contract law (which the league would be doing if they approved a deal for a player already under an existing contract) then they can be sued.

The KHL would care because:
* it could cost them a great deal of money if they were proven to have intentionally violated a contract that they previously agreed to respect

Ovechkin would care because:
* the IIHF would not allow him to play internationally for Russia

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 01:54 PM
Caspian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
This is why the other owners should be extremely mad that the cash strapped Devils basically colluded with Kovy to help him get to the KHL. You could see this coming, not that they weren't going to keep attempting, but the Caps will very much fight this in terms of a player violating the spirit of his contract and demand IIHF action. Not sure Ovie or the KHL would care, but this will likely go down very different and by the Devils deciding to betray the other 29 partners around the league they have opened this avenue up in a major way which is extremely unfortunate for everybody in the NHL.

Letting an exiting ownership group make that kind of decision and precedence was really astonishing when you think about it.
20+ of those owners pushed to further penalize all lifetime contracts and issued recapture rules, retroactively.

owners aren't in it together unless there's a lockout

Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 02:03 PM
Zine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
What I mean by that is that the player is already under contract and that the two leagues have an agreement to respect each others contracts. If anyone intentionally violates contract law (which the league would be doing if they approved a deal for a player already under an existing contract) then they can be sued.

The KHL would care because:
* it could cost them a great deal of money if they were proven to have intentionally violated a contract that they previously agreed to respect

Ovechkin would care because:
* the IIHF would not allow him to play internationally for Russia
Contract law? The NHL and KHL have a Memorandum of Understanding; it's not legally binding.
Even if it was, court rulings are essentially unenforceable in each others' countries anyways. The only ramifications for breaking a contract would be sanctions imposed by the IIHF.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote