HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

G.Reinhart to EDM

Old
04-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
For the Islanders, they get a top forward from this year's draft, like Bennett or Reinhart who can play right away for them, and they have defensive prospects in the pipeline (Mayfield just played his first game, Donovan looks close to ready, DeHaan impressed this year, Pokka looks good). Plus, this gives the Islanders a little flexibility in that they could get a high pick from Edmonton, then move their 2014 first to Buffalo, so as to not risk losing the 2015 one.
Boy would that EVER be horrible asset management. Giving up a top 5 pick two years ago to get an unknown 1st round pick next year. Really, that's bad and indicates no confidence the team will get better. Follow up that move with massive amounts of JT to Toronto rumor mongering. I think you've been reading too many Canadian hockey columnists. (To be fair, reading one more than Bobby Mac is probably too many.)

Islanders need G. Reinhart's size and steady play now. He is NHL ready. Donovan is extremely unsteady. Pokka is small and needs to adjust to North American Hockey. Mayfield is still raw and needs to fill out. Pulock is not ready to play defense in the NHL. G. Reinhart RIGHT NOW (de Haan is injured) would be a top pair D-man on NYI. (Okay, yeah, that does mean we suck... Still.)

Most likely scenario is Islanders pick Dal Colle or Draisaitl (preferably Dal Colle), and there won't be a thing to talk about. Chalk.

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:23 AM
sebsisles

no no no no no. NO

sebsisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Jacques Trap*

Ekblad will be there for the oilers and even if he isn't, I'd still take one of the Sam's over Reinhart.

Jacques Trap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:47 AM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I'd cry if we traded Griff. I'd cry a lot if we traded him for a draft pick.

Isles love him, have a glaring need for him, and see him as NHL ready. They are also pretty stacked with C prospects. They could use another high end wing, but they should have no problem finding that with their own 1st(Dal Colle, Ehlers, Ritchie).

I don't see the Isles considering this.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:59 AM
Macch

Nah we're good

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin25 View Post
Per @craigbutton

Edmonton will trade their first to NYI for G.Reinhart if Ekblad is taken before EDM picks

(Mod Edit) Button is speculating.
Wow. The arrogance of the Canadian media just does not stop

The isles need defensive upgrades, just as much as the Oilers do.
The isles have waited patiently for their top blueline prospect to get NHL ready, so now Button thinks they should trade him to Edmonton for a pick?

What a friggin moron. Hey, Button, newsflash....the isles want to make the p,layoffs just as badly as the Oilers.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
They will try to get Reinhart but they will fail, it would be beyond stupid for the Islanders to trade him now

Three years in a row with first overall and now they realize that when your team is just ****ing awful defensively that BPA isn't always the best move

Classic

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:16 AM
gabeliscious

how often are top 3 picks traded straight up - never.

if edmonton was willing to trade the 2nd or 3rd overall i would think they could get someone more established that could help them right away.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:21 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
They won't. The only thing the Oilers need worry about if they covet Ekblad is a team besides themselves or Buffalo winning the lottery and taking him.

Also, G Reinhart for the Oilers' pick would be brutal for Edmonton.
G Reinhart was a top 4 pick from all of 2 years ago who seems to be progressing nicely. How is the 2nd or 3rd round OA for G. Reinhart "brutal", especially when GR is closer to contributing immediately (which the Oilers need) than anyone who would be drafted this year?

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:32 AM
Halifaxhab*

I just don't see the Isles parting with Reinhart. He's likely in the lineup next season, and the need for Dmen in NY is pretty high, not as high as in EDM, but high enough to keep him. Even if Yakupov were offered for Reinhart I don't see the Isles moving him as they have some pretty solid talent up front for the top 6 that is homegrown in place already.

While what Button suggests makes sense for EDM, I just can't see it for the Isles

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:55 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
I just don't see the Isles parting with Reinhart. He's likely in the lineup next season, and the need for Dmen in NY is pretty high, not as high as in EDM, but high enough to keep him. Even if Yakupov were offered for Reinhart I don't see the Isles moving him as they have some pretty solid talent up front for the top 6 that is homegrown in place already.

While what Button suggests makes sense for EDM, I just can't see it for the Isles
Isles scout says the isles want to pair Reinhart and Pulock, they think their contrasting styles will work well together

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...134/story.html

Old
04-11-2014, 10:01 AM
The B3ast

If the Oilers are going to trade their 2nd/3rd overall pick, why not get a proven D instead of someone who has the potential.

How about 1 of Van D and ++ for EDM 1st 2014?

The B3ast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
The fact that fans of both teams are arguing against the trade tells you that the value isn't really that far off. I don't think it will happen, but the rationale is reasonable.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin25 View Post
Per @craigbutton

Edmonton will trade their first to NYI for G.Reinhart if Ekblad is taken before EDM picks

(Mod Edit) Button is speculating.
Why hasn't this been edited or just closed? The OP clearly edited Buttons tweet just to cause a **** storm

Quote:
So @NHLonTSN talk to @EdmontonOilers GM about trading 1st pick. My thoughts to Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. 4 yrs @OilKingsHockey. Know him well
That is the tweet(I edited the "thoughts bubble").

I can't believe this has been allowed to go on for 3 pages

04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
The fact that fans of both teams are arguing against the trade tells you that the value isn't really that far off. I don't think it will happen, but the rationale is reasonable.
It's really not. Button isn't thinking about the Islanders at in all in this "speculation." Our current defense is still ugly (outside of de Haan and Hamonic) and the Isles are hoping that Griff can come in and be that defensive rock. The only way I see Griff being moved is in a big trade for a proven defenseman, which is extremely unlikely to happen imo.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:16 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
G Reinhart was a top 4 pick from all of 2 years ago who seems to be progressing nicely. How is the 2nd or 3rd round OA for G. Reinhart "brutal", especially when GR is closer to contributing immediately (which the Oilers need) than anyone who would be drafted this year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
I m not arguing value.

Isles and Oiler have both been unsuccessfully shopping for needed blueline help. Neither team is attractive to ufas. Isles are reportedly very high on the NHL ready GR, their top blueline prospect.

Gong o to each of the last several drafts, except 2009, Snow has shopped his first for an older player, one further along in his development then the 18 year olds coming out if the draft.

Isles have 20-23 year old rookie forwards Strome/Lee/Nelson/Sundstrom fighting for NHL ice time.

Again. WHY would the isles trade the NHL ready GR for a pick?

Old
04-11-2014, 10:20 AM
Bosnyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreakers View Post
meh... Edmonton is drafting 2nd. I doubt Ekblad will be gone..
where is the basis on this edmonten is currently in 27th

Bosnyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Natepollock92

so thats 4 LHD prospects for us now......no way this happens and if it does Mact should lose his job.

Natepollock92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Roof Daddy

This is why Button is on TV instead of working in the NHL.

Someone explain how Reinhart is a need when Marincin, Klefbom and Nurse are all LHD and will be competing for spots next year. Meanwhile, we have experienced 7 seasons of Gagner at 2C and haven't sniffed the playoffs once in that time. So in a draft top heavy with centers, we should trade the pick for a young LHD?

Don't get me wrong, Reinhart will be an excellent shutdown Dman, I see him being similar to Chris Phillips who was one of the best shutdown D in his prime. That also happens to be a big area of need for the
Islanders.

Makes absolutely no sense for either team.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:28 AM
The B3ast

Big game for Edmonton vs Van and Florida vs CBJ. If Oilers win and Florida loses, Oilers would likely draft 3rd. Assuming they dont win the lottery pick.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnyi View Post
where is the basis on this edmonten is currently in 27th
Try again. Florida won last night, were in 29th.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:29 AM
The B3ast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Try again. Florida won last night, were in 29th.
Hope the Oilers dont win their last game.

Old
04-11-2014, 10:55 AM
DIBZ

any chance the isles are considering a trade like this, so they can forfeit there draft pick this year to buffalo, still draft in the top 5, add a prospect and still be in the McDavid race next year?

I am not sure why they would do that, when it's still prospect for prospect though

DIBZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I m not arguing value.

Isles and Oiler have both been unsuccessfully shopping for needed blueline help. Neither team is attractive to ufas. Isles are reportedly very high on the NHL ready GR, their top blueline prospect.

Gong o to each of the last several drafts, except 2009, Snow has shopped his first for an older player, one further along in his development then the 18 year olds coming out if the draft.

Isles have 20-23 year old rookie forwards Strome/Lee/Nelson/Sundstrom fighting for NHL ice time.

Again. WHY would the isles trade the NHL ready GR for a pick?
So if Buffalo takes Ekblad what/would the Islanders offer up for the second overall to grab Sam Reinhart? I know centre isn't a big concern but the marketing of Tavares and the brothers would be appealing. Assuming the Islanders are picking 4th; I might be tempted for "all your 2014 picks are mine" offer to move up

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 11:05 AM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIBZ View Post
any chance the isles are considering a trade like this, so they can forfeit there draft pick this year to buffalo, still draft in the top 5, add a prospect and still be in the McDavid race next year?

I am not sure why they would do that, when it's still prospect for prospect though
No way, they need to be a really good team going into Brooklyn. Tanking isn't going to help.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote