HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Green Traded To Boston.

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 10:23 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

vCash: 500
Green Traded To Boston.

link to follow....

Old
10-03-2003, 10:25 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch
link to follow....
yeah i saw that at tsn, poor guy 3teams in 24 hours.
I hope this doesnt bite us in the ass

Old
10-03-2003, 02:11 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinto80
yeah i saw that at tsn, poor guy 3teams in 24 hours.
I hope this doesnt bite us in the ass
It will.

This was a stupid, stupid move by the Leafs.

If Green is worth a 6th round pick, they should have traded him instead of exposing him in the draft. That's just common sense.

Also they could have traded him to a Western Conference team, or at the very least a team that's not in our division.

This better be part of a bigger plan because otherwise, I'm not very happy about losing a quality NHL player with nothing in return.

I didn't see teams like Colorado, Detroit or New Jersey giving up quality players. In fact, most of the other selected players are pretty much career minor leaguers.

Old
10-03-2003, 02:37 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
It will.

If Green is worth a 6th round pick, they should have traded him instead of exposing him in the draft. That's just common sense.

Also they could have traded him to a Western Conference team, or at the very least a team that's not in our division.

This better be part of a bigger plan because otherwise, I'm not very happy about losing a quality NHL player with nothing in return.
Please remind me ...What did we get for Svehla and Wesley??

They were pretty good players, and the return was nothing, with UFA you can always add without giving somethng up..

Who did we trade for Nieuwendyk who I would take on my team 10 /10 times if given the choice...

If I had a choice of 1.6 Million dollars or Travis Green I would take the Money as there is no love lost seeing Green go... and if you throw in a 26 year old prospect who has a real offensive flair as a sweetner to take the money than its a NO BRAINER..

. not to mention now a younger more deserving player can fill that spot of a aging vet whose best days are behind him, that had a rap of being a locker room problem and provided little other than 4th line/ face off presence...

Old
10-03-2003, 02:59 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Please remind me ...What did we get for Svehla and Wesley??

They were pretty good players, and the return was nothing, with UFA you can always add without giving somethng up..

Who did we trade for Nieuwendyk who I would take on my team 10 /10 times if given the choice...

If I had a choice of 1.6 Million dollars or Travis Green I would take the Money as there is no love lost seeing Green go... and if you throw in a 26 year old prospect who has a real offensive flair as a sweetner to take the money than its a NO BRAINER..

. not to mention now a younger more deserving player can fill that spot of a aging vet whose best days are behind him, that had a rap of being a locker room problem and provided little other than 4th line/ face off presence...
None of that explains why WE couldn't have traded Green for a draft pick.

And don't bring up Tenkrat. If the Leafs wanted him that bad, we could have easily exposed Renberg and no one would have even given him a sniff.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:01 PM
wasting time

Quote:
It will.

I didn't see teams like Colorado, Detroit or New Jersey giving up quality players. In fact, most of the other selected players are pretty much career minor leaguers.
JF is freeing up cash for a top D man trade.

I think Antropov is gone which is why Tenkrat may have been signed.

Look for a block buster soon.

With Green gone I figure they have around 3 million new payroll to take on - given that their payroll is likely $60M.

Lookl for the Leafs to land a top blue chip D man very soon. I think Millbury is the target - Antropov for Hamrlik straight up.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont mind losing green
but why not fill his spot with perrott or stajan or ponikarovsky ?

tenkrat has failed with losing teams, did they pick him just to punish columbus for taking green?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:05 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
JF is freeing up cash for a top D man trade.

I think Antropov is gone which is why Tenkrat may have been signed.

Look for a block buster soon.

With Green gone I figure they have around 3 million new payroll to take on - given that their payroll is likely $60M.

Lookl for the Leafs to land a top blue chip D man very soon. I think Millbury is the target - Antropov for Hamrlik straight up.
Please no!

But you may be right about the general idea. Perhaps JFJR is looking at freeing up salary for a deal.

Anyway, Green was okay but I wont miss him.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i dont mind losing green

tenkrat has failed with losing teams, did they pick him just to punish columbus for taking green?
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I heard that there is a rule which allows the team losing a player to take the player that the other team frees up from their protected list, without unprotecting a player themselves. Makes sense?

So it may be that Tenkrat was the only option. And he is better than nothing.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:07 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
i dont mind losing green

I don't think Tenkrat will be playing for us this year. I could be wrong, but won't he be playing Finland again?

Old
10-03-2003, 03:20 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
I'm not sure if this is accurate, but I heard that there is a rule which allows the team losing a player to take the player that the other team frees up from their protected list, without unprotecting a player themselves. Makes sense?

So it may be that Tenkrat was the only option. And he is better than nothing.

i dont know.

he was on the protected list, then unprotected when they took green.
we didnt have to take him.
he isnt even signed.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:26 PM
timlap

Quote:
i dont know.

he was on the protected list, then unprotected when they took green.
we didnt have to take him.
he isnt even signed.
According to my understanding we could either take a cash payment of some kind, or else we could take the player that Columbus moved off their list (I'm sketchy about this, remember). We chose to take Tenkrat. It doesn't matter if he's signed, he's still an asset. I don't imagine they envision him as a guy who will plug a hole for us right now, but I don't know about that (several people have said that he is going to play in Europe this year).

Old
10-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
None of that explains why WE couldn't have traded Green for a draft pick.

And don't bring up Tenkrat. If the Leafs wanted him that bad, we could have easily exposed Renberg and no one would have even given him a sniff.
Yah Yah your Renberg Bashing is getting old around here just like Sluggo and his Kaberle rants..

If Renberg was exposed he to would have probably been taken.. Maybe maybe not no ones because it didn't happen..

Just like your Green point... The only team that gave a 6th for Green was Boston and I can certainly understand why GM Fergy did not contact a division rival for his rights.. and if someone was going to give a 6th for Green before the waiver draft they would logically have to protect Green and expose another player which most teams would not be willing to do..

Not only would they be taking on a 1.6 million in Salary , they would give up a 6th and another of their own 18 player protected list.. I can tell you NOT MANY TEAMS would have done that... after the draft Boston was willing to do that, not before ..

So if Toronto's goal was simply to reduce salary and make room on the roster for a more deserving player ..Then they made a very smart move and one could agrue if they had more players ready for NHL service they should have tried to dump more Salaries..

Leafs just added Ken Klee for FREE....at 1.5 million and to make that happen they in essences cut Green to make that happen at 1.6 million..

If both players would have been under contract I can almost guarantee that Washington would not have traded Green for Klee straight up.. So if we believe Klee is more important now than Green is then again it was a good move and the Tenkrat was just a long shot icing on the cake that cost Leafs Zero right now..

Old
10-03-2003, 04:12 PM
Mike1

Green getting claimed leaves the Leafs with some options.They could sign a UFA defencemen.Yuskievich is the best guy left out there & the Leafs could probably get him with the 1.6 million if he wants to play in the NHL this year or they could wait until the deadline to pick up someone.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:47 PM
TheBudsForever

Nothing against Green but he can and will be replaced without fanfare. I always felt that he floated a bit during much of the regular season and would only truly show up come the the playoffs. The fact that he was unable to repeat his rookie Islander numbers in the NHL belies this fact IMHO. His part in the alleged problem troika of himself, Tucker and Corson also comes to mind. Quinn and Ferguson also used him to send a bit of a wake up message to some of the complacent vets on the Leafs = vets can and will be traded if they don't answer the bell. I wish him luck with Boston though.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:17 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

quinn never wanted to use him on a scoring line.
i thought that seemed odd, but i guess he prefered the hoglund's and tuckers

Old
10-03-2003, 05:53 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Thanks Travis Green for the good times

Good luck to you in Boston

Old
10-03-2003, 05:59 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmour's Way
Thanks Travis Green for the good times

Good luck to you in Boston
Green reminds me of one of those players that gets pumped up to play his old team and comes back top haunt them afterwards....I think Boston will give him a bigger role to play over there.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:41 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Green reminds me of one of those players that gets pumped up to play his old team and comes back top haunt them afterwards....I think Boston will give him a bigger role to play over there.
exactly what i was thinking when i first heard he was traded to a division rivle

Old
10-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Rand

Quote:
Why would anyone have bothered to deal with the Leafs for Green when they probably could have gotten him via waivers?

It's better grabbing him via waivers then trading picks for him.
If he wasnt left unprotected then they could trade for him if they were interested.
I doubt Toronto had much of a chance of trading Green.