HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers sign Pelletier

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2005, 05:59 PM
m2k2p

vCash: 500
Panthers sign Pelletier

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

our ahl goaltending depth signing

Old
08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
IceKatsRHot

Shall we start engraving the Stanley Cup?

Old
08-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Dont be so sure.. He could be our backup with McLennan as our #1 =)

Old
08-19-2005, 06:12 PM
Heimy

geez Mogo..don't even kid like that!

Old
08-19-2005, 06:22 PM
LumpenLouche

I think that kid is gonna be good. Nice pick-up.

Old
08-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Crossbar

Shame we don't have an AHL team to keep him in yet. Just a thought, since the Chicago Wolves should be losing Kari Lehtonen now, maybe they'll agree to take Pelletier and some of our prospects as long as we're paying for their contracts?

Old
08-19-2005, 06:50 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Heh, we'll i'll be damned. I had him on my list of AHL goalies we should sign.

Good pick Mr. K!

Old
08-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Dropkick Alex

Pretty sure he a goalie for the junior USA team back in the day

Old
08-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Shame we don't have an AHL team to keep him in yet. Just a thought, since the Chicago Wolves should be losing Kari Lehtonen now, maybe they'll agree to take Pelletier and some of our prospects as long as we're paying for their contracts?
Wow, I thnk I said something almost exactly like that a week ago when I brought up the lack of a third string goalie.

With that said, this kid is someone who couldn't produce in Phoenix behind Zak Bierk, Brian Boucher, and then Brent Johnson and lost his AHL job to David LeNeveu. Better hope what Mogo said doesn't come true.

Old
08-19-2005, 07:35 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Wow, I thnk I said something almost exactly like that a week ago when I brought up the lack of a third string goalie.

With that said, this kid is someone who couldn't produce in Phoenix behind Zak Bierk, Brian Boucher, and then Brent Johnson and lost his AHL job to David LeNeveu. Better hope what Mogo said doesn't come true.
The Phoenix defense hung him out to dry.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:25 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierX
The Phoenix defense hung him out to dry.
As did the Springfield defense.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Ah ok, I just went back and read your comments.

I don't think Pelts would get starter time in Chicago over Micheal Garnett (he was terrific last season), probably split duties with him at best. With the Toronto Maple Leafs recently signing Jean-Sebastien Aubin, Pelts would probably be backup at best there as well (Leafs also have J-F Racine in the pipeline). With the Wolves "playoff guarantee" slogan, I doubt they'd want to risk having a rookie prospect backing up Garnett, so maybe they'll be interested in a AHL vet like Pelts? Wonder what's became of Jani Hurme's injury?

I was wondering if 2 NHL teams can do this? Let's say the Panthers shared affiliates with Atlanta and the Thrashers wanted to send a AHL vet back down to Chicago, but didn't want to risk another NHL team claiming him off waivers. Can Florida claim him off waivers, attempt to send him down to the minors and then be automatically re-claimed by the Thrashers (since we didn't originally own his rights and he's not playing in the NHL) and sent to Chicago? That'd be a nice way for 2 teams to milk the system without losing their AHL vets, but I'm sure there is some sort of rule against this correct?

Old
08-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar
Ah ok, I just went back and read your comments.

I don't think Pelts would get starter time in Chicago over Micheal Garnett (he was terrific last season), probably split duties with him at best. With the Toronto Maple Leafs recently signing Jean-Sebastien Aubin, Pelts would probably be backup at best there as well (Leafs also have J-F Racine in the pipeline). With the Wolves "playoff guarantee" slogan, I doubt they'd want to risk having a rookie prospect backing up Garnett, so maybe they'll be interested in a AHL vet like Pelts? Wonder what's became of Jani Hurme's injury?

I was wondering if 2 NHL teams can do this? Let's say the Panthers shared affiliates with Atlanta and the Thrashers wanted to send a AHL vet back down to Chicago, but didn't want to risk another NHL team claiming him off waivers. Can Florida claim him off waivers, attempt to send him down to the minors and then be automatically re-claimed by the Thrashers (since we didn't originally own his rights and he's not playing in the NHL) and sent to Chicago? That'd be a nice way for 2 teams to milk the system without losing their AHL vets, but I'm sure there is some sort of rule against this correct?
Interesting scenario, but I have not interest in actually researching its legality. But I think something was done like that with Brookbank durin the last NHL season.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Dropkick Alex

Anyone think Mike Dunham would of signed for the minimum of 650K or Dafoe?

Old
08-19-2005, 09:57 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Interesting scenario, but I have not interest in actually researching its legality. But I think something was done like that with Brookbank durin the last NHL season.
LOL that's funny, because that's exactly who I had in mind when I was thinking of that!

Old
08-20-2005, 07:20 AM
pelts35.com

Well, I guess I now add the Florida Panthers to the teams that I follow!

Pelts will make a solid #3 goalie for the organization. The question becomes, which some have already raised, where exactly does he play since Florida does not have an AHL affiliate.

I certainly hope that it isn't Chicago. For one, they are in the west conference and I won't get a lot of chances to see him. For two, their game-worn jerseys go for obscene amounts of money.

I suppose it is also possible that Pelts could be sent to the Wildcatters, assuming that they still are the ECHL affiliate for the Panthers next season.

Obviously, I am somewhat biased, but he has played on some really bad AHL teams over the past few years. When he was called up to the Coyotes two seasons ago, the Coyotes were in one of their worst funks of the season. I would like to see what kind of numbers he could put up with a competant defense in front of him along with some goal support.

Unlike David LeNeveu, he was not signed by the Coyotes to be their goalie of the future. Quite the opposite, Phoenix resigned him to be a mentor for LeNeveu and for depth.

BTW, Dropkick Alex, Pelts did play on the Team USA World juniors team.

Let's not forget to add the Utah Grizzlies to the list of teams that hung Pelts out to dry!

Last edited by pelts35.com: 08-20-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old
08-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Dropkick Alex

Wait a minute, pelts35.com, your not the guy who married his wife at a game that Pelts played in that I saw in Hockey Beckett like last year, I read that artical and found it pretty intresting, I'm not sure though this is you or not but I was pretty sure they made their own web-site for him.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:55 AM
IceKatsRHot

Hey Pelts,

Good to have you on board with us for this year at least but what is the fascination with the goalie?

Old
08-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceKatsRHot
Hey Pelts,

Good to have you on board with us for this year at least but what is the fascination with the goalie?
I believe if this is the guy I'm thinking about, I'm pretty sure he met his future wife at an AHL game or something and Pelts was the goalie, and so they tracked his career since, if this is the the guy I'm thinking about, he should tell the story, I'll just shut up now.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:06 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Alex
Wait a minute, pelts35.com, your not the guy who married his wife at a game that Pelts played in that I saw in Hockey Beckett like last year, I read that artical and found it pretty intresting, I'm not sure though this is you or not but I was pretty sure they made their own web-site for him.
You are almost right. We did not get married at a game that Pelts played in, but our first date was a Phantoms/Bears game and Pelts was in net that night.

I'm glad that you found the article to be interesting, especially since I wrote it!

I hope that yet another group of fans enjoy the website.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:36 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
You are almost right. We did not get married at a game that Pelts played in, but our first date was a Phantoms/Bears game and Pelts was in net that night.

I'm glad that you found the article to be interesting, especially since I wrote it!

I think you have more Pelletier jerseys then Pelletier himself!

Old
08-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com

I feel so smart that I remembered that, it was an amazing read.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Alex
I feel so smart that I remembered that, it was an amazing read.
Bouw and his Homer Simpson impression "I am so smart. S M R T".
Just joshin you Bouw.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:57 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
Bouw and his Homer Simpson impression "I am so smart. S M R T".
Just joshin you Bouw.
No worries I know I'm smrat.

Old
08-21-2005, 06:58 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
I think you have more Pelletier jerseys then Pelletier himself!
You would be correct in that assessment. Actually, I have given Pelts two jerseys that he couldn't get on his own.

Closed Thread