HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malone arrested on DUI and possession of cocaine charges | Entered NHL's SA program

Old
04-12-2014, 07:42 AM
HoseEmDown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
would that have shown up on the page?
The refusing part? No. It's all suspicion right now but they don't need a breathalyzer or blood results to charge you. He most likely refused everything and they can't draw blood unless it's an accident anyway. By refusing a breathalyzer your pretty much admiting quilt and you lose your license for a year instead of 6 months.

With his money he'll get a top lawyer, pay a ton of fines and have the charges dismissed.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:44 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
The refusing part? No. It's all suspicion right now but they don't need a breathalyzer or blood results to charge you. He most likely refused everything and they can't draw blood unless it's an accident anyway. By refusing a breathalyzer your pretty much admiting quilt and you lose your license for a year instead of 6 months.

With his money he'll get a top lawyer, pay a ton of fines and have the charges dismissed.

If he has the money he spends freely we do not know his financial situation but I would bet is not that great with how much he parties.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:44 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:

We don't know the entire story obviously, but if he does have a coke problem, or alcohol, nobody will be doing him any favors by sweeping it under the rug.

Sad, the guys entire life just went to crap over the last couple of years.

ThunderAlleyNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:45 AM
Rschmitz
Yzermaned

This makes me sad, likeable guy with a play style that I enjoyed watching when he was on his game. I hope he can clean up

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:45 AM
cps230

Quote:
Originally Posted by newham89 View Post
Substance abuse aside, he's drink driving. He's gone.

Again, if found guilty. I assume with the DUI he must have been breathalysed.
Just because he's getting charged with a DUI doesn't mean it is automatically alcohol related. A DUI is driving under the influence of anything.. could be alchohol, but he could of also been just really really high.

cps230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Jacko95

I really hope the Lightning don't just send him out. If they do his problems will only get bigger.
If there is a chance we can fit him under the cap for next season, give him the chance to get out of this drug **** and get his live back on track. He has played quit long for this organization and IMO deserves the help, regardless how poor he has played the last two years.

Put him under strong rules (regular drug test), that he can't go back to the drugs and hope he keeps going that way after he will leave the org next summer. Maybe he can find a team willing to give him a 4th line job after.
Just getting ride of the problem is the wrong way, but I am confidant SY will handle this as good as he has all the problems before.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:49 AM
Callum
Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
If he has the money he spends freely we do not know his financial situation but I would bet is not that great with how much he parties.
I get where your coming from but he makes 4.5m a year before taxes + agent fees etc. I'd be extremely worried if he couldn't afford a decent lawyer.

Callum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:52 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I really hope the Lightning don't just send him out. If they do his problems will only get bigger.
If there is a chance we can fit him under the cap for next season, give him the chance to get out of this drug **** and get his live back on track. He has played quit long for this organization and IMO deserves the help, regardless how poor he has played the last two years.

Put him under strong rules (regular drug test), that he can't go back to the drugs and hope he keeps going that way after he will leave the org next summer. Maybe he can find a team willing to give him a 4th line job after.
Just getting ride of the problem is the wrong way, but I am confidant SY will handle this as good as he has all the problems before.
You are a good man.
However, if you break the rules you have to be punished, what image would this give to the organization if not?
"Hey, you can take cocaine we are going to do nothing to you"

He can be fired and still be helped, it is not like he has no money or friends in the organization.

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:53 AM
Bish Please
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
I get where your coming from but he makes 4.5m a year before taxes + agent fees etc. I'd be extremely worried if he couldn't afford a decent lawyer.
He makes 2.5M now. He is also going through/went through a divorce. I'm sure he's still wealthy but perhaps not as well off as you would think.

Bish Please is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertguess2013 View Post
you kill me man this is a little like too fast is funny in a sad devastating situation but man give it a couple days or something?
Nah. I feel for the guy. Or, maybe that's not the best way to put it. I recognize the seriousness of the situation. But it's never too soon for cocaine and DUI jokes if all parties are alive. (And Ryan Malone's parties never die.)

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeykshade

Quote:
That's his cap hit, not his actual salary. He's actually paid $2.5m, not that that's chump change. Just wanted to correct your numbers for clarity.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 07:57 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
I dont know what people think lawyers cost now a days lol. But mine for a civil suit cost 20k per hour about. Not kidding.

Good lawyers or the better ones cost a ton of cash I walked away from my civil case cause after one day in court was 100k.

Sure you can pay 5k for a decent guy but when jail is on line or your entire future? You want to spend what can to get the best.

I dont know his situation at all. Just saying have ran into him more than one time and I no longer go out. He really went at it hard imho when I saw him those times. Yes during season etc. This was before decline also so some time ago. I did not have a good feeling watching him like that. I have seen others out but not go as hard say cc sabathia stamkos derek jeter to name a few. Sabathia goes hard or did but not like malone.

As said hope and pray he can find himself use love of this sport this game to save himself. I was on a bad path and now pay with first liver now major heart issues at 45 and I quit primarily in early 30's and totally 8 years ago. Is just not worth throwing you life away and hope he comes to terms with that and is successful again while is still time

Old
04-12-2014, 07:59 AM
robertguess2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
You are a good man.
However, if you break the rules you have to be punished, what image would this give to the organization if not?

He can be fired and still be helped, it is not like he has no money or friends in the organization.
I would think the players association would help with the drug issues also even if we buy out or whatever happens cut contract etc?

Old
04-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

could the Lightning go both ways? fire Malone, but help him with the drug stuff?

Sends a message, cheaper than buying him out, and good PR.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:05 AM
Jrham15

vCash: 539
This is just surprising it really sucks to see a professional athlete do something that just doesn't make any sense to do... It makes me sad.

Jrham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:06 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
You are a good man.

I don't mean they should just take him back, but give him a chance if he does certain things ( addiction clinic (not sure if it is the right word), regular drug test). If he proves to stay away from cocaine (and other drugs of course) till next training camp, allow him to play.
Keep up the testing all season to make sure he doesn't fall back, if he does send him out of the org.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:06 AM
HoseEmDown

Lawyers can be expensive but for a first time offender with a DUI it usually costs 10k. Not sure of Hillsborough county's DUI process but he might even get the charges dropped just by taking certain classes and paying all the fines. Orange county has a diversion program for its first time offenders. The coke is gonna be the bigger issue. But still with a good lawyer and money he'll get it dropped, I don't think he has anything on his record so that always helps. He'll spend 25-50k which he should be able to pay no problem.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Felonious Python
TyJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
I don't mean they should just take him back, but give him a chance if he does certain things ( addiction clinic (not sure if it is the right word), regular drug test). If he proves to stay away from cocaine (and other drugs of course) till next training camp, allow him to play.
Keep up the testing all season to make sure he doesn't fall back, if he does send him out of the org.
what if he's not good enough? Cocaine saves his career?

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:13 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Lawyers can be expensive but for a first time offender with a DUI it usually costs 10k. Not sure of Hillsborough county's DUI process but he might even get the charges dropped just by taking certain classes and paying all the fines. Orange county has a diversion program for its first time offenders. The coke is gonna be the bigger issue. But still with a good lawyer and money he'll get it dropped, I don't think he has anything on his record so that always helps. He'll spend 25-50k which he should be able to pay no problem.
I don't know about the DUI stuff, but Hillsborough County has (or used to) a fairly good drug court, with a couple of judges that believed in rehab more than jail. I know at least one of those guys has retired though, so...

Old
04-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Jacko95

I know a guy that had huge alcohol problems, when it came out half his family broke up with it and he lost his k´job right away. Nobody gave him a chance or really helped him, so him came out of the clinic after a few months and nobody was there. He stayed away from it for another 6 months or so but then all started again because he had nobody to help him and had nothing to do. He was in a clinic twice in the last three years and he always fell back when something (death to his dad, ...).
Now he is just a mess and everybody just waits and hope he doesn't kill himself driving. If I would be as drunk as he is I would have difficulty walking, he even drives and he drives crazy fast and uncontrolled. He is around 60 by the way.

Knowing such things I really don't want to see it happen again, so I really hope the Lightning help Malone properly to get out of it.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:20 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
what if he's not good enough? Cocaine saves his career?
No it doesn't, but if we have no problems with the cap, keep him, IMO he is still a decent 4th liner. Even if he wouldn't have those problems and we could afford keeping him cap wise without any problems I would be for it. He does not take away a place any young guy could take except for Paquette and I really don't mind seeing Paquette another year in the AHL.
He has more place on this team than Purcell IMO, just because of the role he can play, we have plenty of options to replace Purcells production in the lineup, but only 1 to replace Malones physicality (again Paquette). Panik is above Malone on the depthchart anyway, who is the other young guy that can play the 4th line.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:21 AM
fulmine
troppo vincere

Feel really bad about this - for Malone and his family.

Just hope that the drug problem does not extend beyond Malone to other players on the team.

fulmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 08:22 AM
HoseEmDown

Was thinking we don't need to buyout Malone cause of this and we might not be able to do to him being in the substance abuse program. We should be able to LTIR him and say he's seeking medical treatment for a substance problem. I wouldn't buy out Purcell in that scenario as I think he's tradable but it might be an option.

Forever Malone!

Old
04-12-2014, 08:25 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBO View Post
Feel really bad about this - for Malone and his family.

Just hope that the drug problem does not extend beyond Malone to other players on the team.
Please don't even go there. What a nightmare that would be. As of right now, we don't even know for sure that there is a problem (as in an addiction issue). It could have just been a night of partying gone horribly wrong.

But, if there is a problem...it really should have been identified. Coke addiction is fairly obvious and easily diagnosed. You would have thought that somebody would have seen it.

Old
04-12-2014, 08:36 AM
Werewolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBO View Post
Yzerman should worry about the influence on all the younger players. Drug test the entire team...with Purcell's decline he would be the first on my list to test. And with Panik's sudden streak of games with energy...he would be second. Lindback too - all of a sudden he gets good? Yeah too much coincidence...drug tests for everyone including Cooper. Coop got the biggest bags under his eyes - probably hasnt slept for days!! Yzerman this team needs

I kid of course...but yeah I'd be worried about this too.

Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote