HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shayne Gostisbehere (signed ELC, terms in OP; debuted with Phantoms Apr. 19)

Old
04-14-2014, 01:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
as long as they are not paid "advisors" then its fine.
I still think people need to step back and relax. has the kid even had time to take a breath? I am sure he will think things out, talk it over with his family and make a decision. until then people should relax.
Agreed, I'm not really worried about it at the moment. I still wouldn't be surprised if he signs some time this week, waiting another year in college could really wreck his development & I'm sure the people in his camp are aware of that.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Hiesenberg

This could all just be word play, but I'm in the boat that his quotes don't sound particularly promising that he wants to join the Flyers.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I would rather him sign in the summer anyway when the season is over. I don't want him to burn a year on his contract playing a game or 2 in the playoffs.
I'd rather he just be signed. Better to have one less year on the ELC than nothing. If he said, burn ELC or I'm not signing... you burn the ELC year every single time.

As for the quotes in general, I think that once he comes off the high of winning and sees Bodie negotiating his deal and Carr and other seniors looking for options, he'll understand that what he has now isn't getting better. He has a ton of leverage, he's won the National Title, etc. I cannot imagine that any reasonable adviser looks at the situation and says, "You're better off taking the risk, jeopardizing your development and playing on a depleted team."

That said, if he goes back, he has solid incentive to wait out the Flyers control deadline and choose his team.

Last edited by Broad Street Elite: 04-14-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Yup but he does have "Advisors".
I hope those advisers haven't been watching the development of Gus very closely.

04-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Phunhog

Does anyone want to comment on the fact the the flyers have his rights till 2016?
I doubt his going to sit out a whole year.

Phunhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:49 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'd rather he just be signed. Better to have one less year on the ELC than anything. If he said, burn ELC or I'm not signing... you burn the ELC year every single time.
Yeah, I don't get that line of thinking. You do what you have do to get the kids signature if he makes any indications that he's comfortable with leaving you at the alter.

Calgary did that with Gaudreau & still got bashed for it despite there was a chance he was going to indeed leave them at the alter.

Is that extra year really going to kill you? I don't think so & I think the fans make more of a big deal out of it than the actual guys running theses teams in the NHL do.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:51 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Does anyone want to comment on the fact the the flyers have his rights till 2016?
Not quite

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1h
For those asking, #Flyers own Gostisbehere's rights until Aug. 15 of next year, per Homer.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:52 PM
MP92
G & V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post

Why is that?
Does it really need to be explained? If players are going to find ways to play for the team of their choosing, may as well let them do it from the get go instead of ****ing franchises over by basically wasting a draft pick.

You won't see a lot of parity in the league anymore that way, but whatever. You can thank these spoiled little ***** for that.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Hiesenberg

Retweeted by Dave Isaac
Calgary Flames ‏@NHLFlames 3m
.@johngaudreau03 will be finishing up his degree at BC over the next few summers - a promise to his mom. pic.twitter.com/xWIIBdzPtM

If Ghost uses "getting a degree" as an excuse, we know that he really as ulterior motives.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'd rather he just be signed. Better to have one less year on the ELC than nothing. If he said, burn ELC or I'm not signing... you burn the ELC year every single time.

well on the flipside can you see the Flyers playing him in a playoff game provided he signed very soon? that doesn't seem to me the way they do things. they are not going to stick him in there with very little practice time over guys who have been around all season. Hal Gill and even some of the kids in ADK would be playing over him.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunhog View Post
Yup, you are correct. He's only been property of the Flyers for two years now. He was drafted after his freshmen year so the Flyers don't get docked for that year.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Yup, you are correct. He's only been property of the Flyers for two years now. He was drafted after his freshmen year so the Flyers don't get docked for that year.
Holmgren doesn't think so, check out the tweet, Holmgren says its August of 2015 his rights expire.

Old
04-14-2014, 01:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Holmgren doesn't think so, check out the tweet, Holmgren says its August of 2015 his rights expire.
Homer's also been wrong his fair share of times in regards to the CBA so he's not exactly the most reliable source despite the position he holds.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

im pretty sure Holmgren is correct. next summer after his senior year.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Can you elaborate on that?
The Flyers own his rights until August of next year so they are the only NHL team he can play for until then. So the flyers are the only team for which he can burn a year off of his entry level deal. So he is 20 years old now. He will turn 21 in April. Here are the elc rules for length of elc per cap geek:

Quote:
Players younger than 25 as of Sept. 15 in the calendar year their first NHL contract is signed are subject to the terms of Article 9 of the CBA and must sign an entry-level contract (ELC). This means the amount of salary and team-paid performance bonuses is capped, depending on his draft year or the year he signs. The length of the ELC is also specified based on the player's age.
AGE LENGTH
18-21 3 years
22-23 2 years
24 1 year
25+ No Restriction *
Now what is interesting is the elc length situation. If he signs this year he will be bound to the 3 year length. The question is what happens next year. His birthday is April 20. He would still be 21 right after the college hockey season. So would he be under the 3 year level or could he wait until April 20 to be in the 2 year window? If he waits, the Flyers still could burn a year off of his deal but would have to play him in a playoff game if they are still in it. If the flyers are eliminated by April 20 or won't play him in a playoff game, then it really doesn't matter financially what he does because it would be 2 years no matter when or where he signs.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:01 PM
Stizzle

Is Holmgren wrong? This is actually a really huge advantage for the Flyers if it is 2016.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Homer's also been wrong his fair share of times in regards to the CBA so he's not exactly the most reliable source despite the position he holds.
It's the same situation as Kevin Hayes is going into this year where he will be a UFA after August 15 since he didn't sign with the Blackhawks.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Is Holmgren wrong? This is actually a really huge advantage for the Flyers if it is 2016.
He could be right but for reasons I stated above I wouldn't take his word as gospel.

I may tweet CapGeek & see if they'll respond.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:04 PM
BillDineen

As we get further into summer, my worry will grow. The only reason to go back next season is temptation of the UFA possibility considering:

1- He dominated the league already and would play fewer games than with the Phantoms (or Flyers), so he could not say it was for development. What does he need to prove?

2- As another poster pointed out, getting credit towards a degree over summers is not difficult. Getting a degree would be a BS excuse.

3- "For my teammates" would be another BS excuse.

There is really nothing that would justify his decision to go back other than the UFA opportunity.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:05 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
As we get further into summer, my worry will grow. The only reason to go back next season is temptation of the UFA possibility considering:

1- He dominated the league already and would play fewer games than with the Phantoms (or Flyers), so he could not say it was for development. What does he need to prove?

2- As another poster pointed out, getting credit towards a degree over summers is not difficult. Getting a degree would be a BS excuse.

There is really nothing that would justify his decision to go back other than the UFA opportunity.
he wants the money $$$$$

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
It's the same situation as Kevin Hayes is going into this year where he will be a UFA after August 15 since he didn't sign with the Blackhawks.
Kevin Hayes was drafted out of high school though not BC. The Hawks held his rights for all four of his years there.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post

I agree with this, if he doesn't sign the Flyers before this year and plays college hockey, its to avoid signing with the Flyers so he can be a UFA and sign wherever.

Not saying this is wrong from his POV, but any other "reason" is a lie at this point.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
he wants the money $$$$$
Would he make more as an undrafted FA? I wouldn't think so.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Would he make more as an undrafted FA? I wouldn't think so.
No, there's still a max salary on ELC's.

Old
04-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
No, there's still a max salary on ELC's.
Exactly, the only reason he bails on the Flyers is to play somewhere else of his choosing, after the showcase he put on, he'll have all 30 teams (or actually 29) to attempt to sign him.

Basically, the biggest risk is injury.