HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Hayes not signing with Hawks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2014, 01:01 PM
  #51
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
I'm sure it was tongue in cheek. Easy killer. For somebody who constantly complained about people going on about Pirri when he does well you don't hesitate to discredit him given half a chance.
Ya whatever, Pirri can go play on a basement team and do well, I could care less. Don't miss him one bit.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 01:03 PM
  #52
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they were a big part of why he might not sign here. And I'm not saying because anyone's pissed (though that is possible too). It's just opportunity. Those guys making NHL paychecks on a bad team is far better for them than making Rockford paychecks in the Cup champion's system. Kayes is going to know he faces the same hurdles if he signs here.

What the Hawks can get from this is it's probably not wise to sign or trade for one of your better prospects' siblings. That's no different than why many employers don't want to hire their employees relatives in the normal/real working working. Also it's an extra risk you take when you sign NCAA players as opposed to CHL players.
CHL players can refuse to sign too. It's absolutely no different. The only difference is that they re-enter the draft as a 20-year-old, as long as they're not an over-ager.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/pro...raft-Works.htm

Quote:
A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.
It's not a lesson in not drafting NCAA players.. all the Hawks can do is treat their draft picks well and hope no one puts any ideas in their heads about going somewhere else.

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 01:12 PM
  #53
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 9,139
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
CHL players can refuse to sign too. It's absolutely no different. The only difference is that they re-enter the draft as a 20-year-old, as long as they're not an over-ager.

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/pro...raft-Works.htm



It's not a lesson in not drafting NCAA players.. all the Hawks can do is treat their draft picks well and hope no one puts any ideas in their heads about going somewhere else.
It just seems to always happened with NCAA players. At least from what I've noticed.

Sarava is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 01:18 PM
  #54
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,582
vCash: 400
Well he is friends with Pirri and his brother was traded after failing in Chicago as well

There is a lot of benefit to playing in Florida together ,,, Get NHL salary while knowing that your schedule from mid April thru June is free of any hockey distractions

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 01:36 PM
  #55
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Ya whatever, Pirri can go play on a basement team and do well, I could care less. Don't miss him one bit.
You're awfully worked up over a guy you could care less about.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
  #56
TwistedWrister90
Registered User
 
TwistedWrister90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,532
vCash: 500
Bringing up Pirri should be banned from now on

TwistedWrister90 is online now  
Old
04-14-2014, 02:02 PM
  #57
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if they were a big part of why he might not sign here. And I'm not saying because anyone's pissed (though that is possible too). It's just opportunity. Those guys making NHL paychecks on a bad team is far better for them than making Rockford paychecks in the Cup champion's system. Kayes is going to know he faces the same hurdles if he signs here.

What the Hawks can get from this is it's probably not wise to sign or trade for one of your better prospects' siblings. That's no different than why many employers don't want to hire their employees relatives in the normal/real working working. Also it's an extra risk you take when you sign NCAA players as opposed to CHL players.
This is what a lot of people are forgetting and/or don't realize. And ones who say "oh he should just be grateful to be in that position and have the opportunity" aren't thinking in reality. If you're in his shoes, a 22 year old kid, you know damn well making $800,000+ immediately as opposed to $70,000 is a huge thing to consider, and honestly, I don't blame him for a second. That's not to say there isn't some educated, calculated risk in taking a paycut for a season or two for a chance to be on a contending roster, but, I certainly understand where he's at. I'm disappointed as a Hawks fan as I'd like to have him aboard, but I don't blame him at all for at least considering his options, and lord knows his agent feels the same way and is telling him the same thing.

Blue Liner is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:08 PM
  #58
Hawkscap
Registered User
 
Hawkscap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Look what TT's demotion cost him. $4743 a day to $359 a day

Hawkscap is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:09 PM
  #59
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
You're awfully worked up over a guy you could care less about.
It has more to do with him saying what he said, I could care less about him as a player.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:19 PM
  #60
Hawkscap
Registered User
 
Hawkscap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
It has more to do with him saying what he said, I could care less about him as a player.
Players can talk to players. There is nothing wrong with that.

Hawkscap is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:20 PM
  #61
BronYrAur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
This is what a lot of people are forgetting and/or don't realize. And ones who say "oh he should just be grateful to be in that position and have the opportunity" aren't thinking in reality. If you're in his shoes, a 22 year old kid, you know damn well making $800,000+ immediately as opposed to $70,000 is a huge thing to consider, and honestly, I don't blame him for a second. That's not to say there isn't some educated, calculated risk in taking a paycut for a season or two for a chance to be on a contending roster, but, I certainly understand where he's at. I'm disappointed as a Hawks fan as I'd like to have him aboard, but I don't blame him at all for at least considering his options, and lord knows his agent feels the same way and is telling him the same thing.
Thank you.

The "we want guys with character who want to win" crowd is hilarious. If they had the choice they would do the same thing and jump for the chance to make a million dollars on a ****** team.

Fans like to think that these guys they cheer for should be these beacons of altruistic virtues, playing to WIN and with CHARACTER. Realistically, you take your chance to make the payday and help set yourself for life with a few million bucks because you don't know how long your chance will be to play in the NHL.

BronYrAur is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:31 PM
  #62
Hawkaholic
Registered User
 
Hawkaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,189
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
Players can talk to players. There is nothing wrong with that.
Actually, they can't. That's called tampering.

But whatever, it was early on a Monday morning that I read it. Those 2 can go to their Cubs game and then bask in the Sun next winter on their terrible team.

Hawkaholic is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
  #63
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,571
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronYrAur View Post
Thank you.

The "we want guys with character who want to win" crowd is hilarious. If they had the choice they would do the same thing and jump for the chance to make a million dollars on a ****** team.

Fans like to think that these guys they cheer for should be these beacons of altruistic virtues, playing to WIN and with CHARACTER. Realistically, you take your chance to make the payday and help set yourself for life with a few million bucks because you don't know how long your chance will be to play in the NHL.
Don't get me wrong, there is something to be said for character and wanting to win, you need those things and want those kind of players, but it's also a business (for all involved; the teams and the players). I have no reason to doubt that Kevin Hayes will be a player of good character, good teammate, and want to win, he just may choose to do it somewhere where he's more assured of being with the NHL club and I don't fault him for that at all. It's not a lack of character for a guy to want to contribute to an NHL team, albeit a lesser one, and want to make the NHL salary also.

Blue Liner is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:33 PM
  #64
Toews2Bickell
Registered User
 
Toews2Bickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkscap View Post
Players can talk to players. There is nothing wrong with that.
Pirri knows he's trolling Chicago by talking about this over twitter. He can easily ask Hayes on a text message if he wants to go to see a team that will lose 100 games this year. He knows exactly what he's doing. And I don't miss the guy one bit. I always got the sense Q disliked him for a reason....I don't know exactly what that reason may be, but he looks like a moron trolling Hawks fans on twitter knowing the situation.

Toews2Bickell is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:41 PM
  #65
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Actually, they can't. That's called tampering.

But whatever, it was early on a Monday morning that I read it. Those 2 can go to their Cubs game and then bask in the Sun next winter on their terrible team.
Unless Florida management actively encouraged Pirri to tap up Kayes I don't think it's tampering.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:43 PM
  #66
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,582
vCash: 400
Players are allowed to talk to each other ,, If this was any member of Panthers coaching/management talking to Hayes then Hawks would be able to file a tampering claim

As for Pirri ,, He is simply bitter that he wasn't good enough to become a regular part of what is the NHL's finest organization

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
  #67
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
That last bit is total conjecture/speculation on your part that's really not fair. He's a kid making a tongue in cheek comment about a past supervisor he didn't get along with.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:54 PM
  #68
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,582
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
That last bit is total conjecture/speculation on your part that's really not fair. He's a kid making a tongue in cheek comment about a past supervisor he didn't get along with.
Probably

But usually when guys go away they don't act like this

You don't see Jimmy Hayes or Dylan Olsen complaining and taking shots like that

Either way Pirri wont be a C in Florida in longrun and the Hawks wing depth flipping him to wing role not viable

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:57 PM
  #69
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 23,093
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Probably

But usually when guys go away they don't act like this

You don't see Jimmy Hayes or Dylan Olsen complaining and taking shots like that

Either way Pirri wont be a C in Florida in longrun and the Hawks wing depth flipping him to wing role not viable
Taking shots like that? He said lets go to a Cubs game this year and made a flippant comment about not tampering.

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:58 PM
  #70
Toews2Bickell
Registered User
 
Toews2Bickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Taking shots like that? He said lets go to a Cubs game this year and made a flippant comment about not tampering.
So what are his intentions by contacting him on twitter about going to a cubs game? Do you think he couldn't do it privately via phone? He knows exactly what he's doing. Fact of the matter is in a situation like this he should steer clear of trolling and making comments about tampering. It's showing up Chicago's management in my opinion.

Toews2Bickell is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 03:59 PM
  #71
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 9,139
vCash: 500
I think it was said best above. What he did was fine and/or legal, but it was trolling. I don't think he was trolling Hawk fans. I think he was trolling Hawks management. Anyway, who cares about Pirri.

Sarava is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 05:12 PM
  #72
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,634
vCash: 500
I can't believe people are making so much about Pirri's tweets. Who cares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Actually, they can't. That's called tampering.

But whatever, it was early on a Monday morning that I read it. Those 2 can go to their Cubs game and then bask in the Sun next winter on their terrible team.
I'm sure they're happier on a bad NHL team than they would be on an AHL team

UsernameWasTaken is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 06:16 PM
  #73
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Probably

But usually when guys go away they don't act like this

You don't see Jimmy Hayes or Dylan Olsen complaining and taking shots like that

Either way Pirri wont be a C in Florida in longrun and the Hawks wing depth flipping him to wing role not viable
Actually Dylan Olsen did have a tweet about it a day ago, but it's since been deleted. Something to the effect of: "UFA? Wanna go see a Marlins game this summer?"

HockeySensible is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 06:36 PM
  #74
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 109,582
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySensible View Post
Actually Dylan Olsen did have a tweet about it a day ago, but it's since been deleted. Something to the effect of: "UFA? Wanna go see a Marlins game this summer?"
Well that wont help attract UFA's

Its on par with offering someone the opportunity to watch Chris Conte play safety

Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
04-14-2014, 06:38 PM
  #75
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,963
vCash: 500
I still haven't lost all hope that he'll sign with Chicago.

HockeySensible is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.