HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Duhatschek ranks us 24th

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 10:06 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

vCash: 500
Duhatschek ranks us 24th

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...sts/Columnist/

Quote:
24. Toronto Maple Leafs: GM John Ferguson Jr. took a wholly defensible path in the early days of free agency, making decent buys -- Jason Allison and Eric Lindros -- but mostly operating with a view to freeing up salary-cap space for next summer, when some tantalizing, in-their-prime, unrestricted free agents are scheduled to hit the market. Oops, sorry, Ferguson. Iginla, Thornton and Lecavalier, the three most attractive commodities, were all signed to long-term contract extensions by Calgary, Boston and Tampa Bay, respectively, meaning they aren't going anywhere any time soon. Suddenly, the idea of locking up Wade Belak and Tie Domi, but allowing Nieuwendyk and Roberts to get away, doesn't seem like such a sound strategy after all.
Thoughts? Do you think that Ferguson made a mistake by not doing what teams like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia did?

Old
08-20-2005, 10:07 AM
Original6

Does anyone read the globe for sports? ...

Old
08-20-2005, 10:09 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Leafs: 90-100 pts

quinn will find a way to make it work
he always does

remember this no name lineup (it was at the start of the season) we had that did so well?

modin sundin thomas
berezin perreault valk
d.king mccauley m.johnson
k.king sullivan domi

kaberle karpovstev
y.tremblay s.cote
markov yushkevich
mcallister

Old
08-20-2005, 10:16 AM
mooseOAK*

Uh, Roberts and Nieuwendyk wouldn't play for the money that Belak and Domi got.

It will be fun watching this season play out differently than all of these people are predicting.

I never thought that guys like Iginla and Thornton wouldn't be signed so I wasn't counting on them being available next year anyway. But a lot of good players will.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:17 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

without a coach or defense pittsburgh should struggle

Old
08-20-2005, 10:24 AM
wasting time

I do not want to appear like an apologist, but:

If the Leafs had not have blown the bank at signing the Nolans, the Leetches, the Mogilnys etc. in past years then they would have been rightfully scorned by their fans. They had the money and the opportunity to spend it to their advantage, so they took it. Everyone knew this year was going to be at issue because of the spending.

Dismantling the entire team like Simmons suggested would have been foolish. Much like Steve himself.

So, JFJ did what he could, and it was not bad. But this team will be competitive. It has a good, mobile D. strength a center and great goaltending. It still can make the playoffs.

While Iginla et al. will not be available next year, there still will be a lot of talent, and the Leafs will be buyers next year, much like Calgary and Edmonton was this year. However, the cap will be smaller which will give JFJ the advantage -- the teams in the market this year spending the money on Lapointe and Pronger and Satan are not going to be in the market much at all next year. Whereas, all teams were in the market this year.

JFJ is going to have less purchasing competition and potentially better negotiating strength to pay less thereby strengthening the team over time. We are doing fine.

Lindros, Allison and Oneill for $5 million? come on.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.

he always does

remember this no name lineup (it was at the start of the season) we had that did so well?

modin sundin thomas
berezin perreault valk
k.king sullivan domi

kaberle karpovstev
y.tremblay s.cote
markov yushkevich
mcallister
That was the lineup that led the league in scoring, right?

Old
08-20-2005, 10:34 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
rings a bell
it was the yr you couldnt stand in the crease so it was an all skill no toughness D

Old
08-20-2005, 10:46 AM
Platapie

I don't think JFJ was trying to save money for next year, he simply didn't have the cash to blow this year, plain and simple. The Leafs lack the fundamental youth contracts that make up the base of the new CBA. Take a look at the Flyers, outside of the big names they signed, they're running with a crop of rookies/youngins, not a full squad of vets.

I think JFJ is doing what he can.. making the team look decent whilst trying to get it back on track for the new system. The idea that his grand scheme has been screwed over is, in a word, asinine.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:49 AM
joecool

Fair analysis

Nice article !

Eric is evaluating the performance of each teams' GM, and I think he's roght about the Leafs. JFj made a decision to "soft rebuild", not going all out this year, and as a result the leafs are mostly treading water in terms of talent movement.

If the Leafs are going to get better it will have to come from roster players elevating their game.

I applaud other posters being positive, but the goal of an nhl season is not to score the most goals.

I think JFJ made a mistake in terms of being more competitive for this year. It's too hard to tell what will happen next year - maybe we'll have cap room for trades ?

Old
08-20-2005, 10:54 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
rings a bell
it was the yr you couldnt stand in the crease so it was an all skill no toughness D
The year that ended with Brett Hull scoring to win Dallas the cup over Buffalo.

Old
08-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yup 1998-99 .. 268 goals for ..

Check it out ..

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...l19271999.html

Old
08-20-2005, 10:56 AM
MacDaddy TLC*

The year we knocked out Philly thanks to John "Leave it to Beezer" and Cujo.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:09 AM
The_Puck_Hog

Quote:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...sts/Columnist/

Thoughts? Do you think that Ferguson made a mistake by not doing what teams like Pittsburgh and Philadelphia did?
The only real mistake that I can see now is the fact that Eddie wasn't bought out of his contract. Hind sight is 20/20 but consider this for your lineup.....Would you rather have Belfour in goal OR...........Cujo and a decent shot at one of the better defencemen that were signed in this pre-season mess.

Belfour -------- 4.6 mil
Cujo----------- 900K + Bonuses which could equal 1.5 mil

To me thats 3.1mil of extra cap space that really could have been utilized.....I belive we have somewhere in the neighborhood of around 2-3mil left after the RFA's sign??? That would now leave approx 5-6 mil left to spend on a UFA, and we could have either got 1 solid D- man or even 2 quality players...Wingers...ala Ray Whitney and Adam Foote (5.5 mil combined) OR....How about Peter Forsberg???

Forsberg & Cujo

or

Belfour

I just think we would have been better served by buying Eddie out...as much as I think he still has what it takes. Cujo may have been a small step backwards in goal but consider the possibilities if this had taken place.........

Thats the only mistake I feel he's made. Other Teams Ala (Philadelphia) will feel the cap squeeze harder in years to come when the cap drops. Mark my words these Teams who lock players up for like 4 to 5 years for fear of losing them(Tampa...Lacavalier(overpaid huge!!)...) will feel the pain when they start loosing players like St. Louis or Richards.

Time will tell but I think there will be good free agents available almost every year in the New NHL. The gamble's that JFJ has taken could pay HUGE dividends when it's all said and done. On the other hand it could blow up in his face.....but really what choice did he have? He's trying to remain competitive now while having the ability to build a strong future with free agency and for a change not dealing away our draft picks.........I'm somewhat satisfied save for the Belfour thing....

Old
08-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loose Cannon
The year we knocked out Philly thanks to John "Leave it to Beezer" and Cujo.
Toronto scored only 9 goals in the 6 game series as the NHL highest scoring team and won the series 4 games to 2 .. Wins of 2-1, 2-1, 2-1 and 1-0

Philly got 11 by Cujo too bad for them 5 came in 1 game for a win and the other game they won was by 3 - 0 .. They only scored 3 goals against Cujo in the 4 Toronto wins.

In round 2 Gary Valk beat Pittsburgh's goalie in OT to advance on to the conference finals against Buffalo, where we soundly got our heads handed to us verses Hasek ..

Old
08-20-2005, 11:18 AM
serdy

It seems Eric forgot about the salary cap. We didnt go out and get a 7 million dollar player BECAUSE WE CANT AFFORD ONE..Simple logic..But then he would recommend trading a bunch of players away..First of all, whos going to take some of our bloated contracts, and second of all, is getting rid of 3 or more players really worth one player, and an overrated one at that if you talk about Lecavlier?

Old
08-20-2005, 11:30 AM
wasting time

Quote:
The only real mistake that I can see now is the fact that Eddie wasn't bought out of his contract. Hind sight is 20/20 but consider this for your lineup.....Would you rather have Belfour in goal OR...........Cujo and a decent shot at one of the better defencemen that were signed in this pre-season mess.
Don't agree at all about Belfour. While it would have been nice to have $3.1 million this year, Cujo sucks. He is in Phoenix to back up Boucher. That says it all. Well, that and the fact that Garth Snow is paid $150,000 less and has a has a long term contract says even more.

In Belfour we have an elite goaltender for the next 2 years. Next year under $3 million a year, I believe. This gives the Leafs time to develop Rask, Pogge, Tellqvist, Aubin, Ford, and Racine. Someone from that bunch is bound to step up in a couple years. And he'll be ours! For cheap!

Old
08-20-2005, 11:33 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Puck_Hog

Belfour -------- 4.6 mil
Cujo----------- 900K + Bonuses which could equal 1.5 mil

To me thats 3.1mil of extra cap space that really could have been utilized.....I belive we have somewhere in the neighborhood of around 2-3mil left after the RFA's sign??? That would now leave approx 5-6 mil left to spend on a UFA, and we could have either got 1 solid D- man or even 2 quality players...Wingers...ala Ray Whitney and Adam Foote (5.5 mil combined) OR....How about Peter Forsberg???

Forsberg & Cujo

or

Belfour

I just think we would have been better served by buying Eddie out...as much as I think he still has what it takes. Cujo may have been a small step backwards in goal but consider the possibilities if this had taken place.........

Thats the only mistake I feel he's made. Other Teams Ala (Philadelphia) will feel the cap squeeze harder in years to come when the cap drops. Mark my words these Teams who lock players up for like 4 to 5 years for fear of losing them(Tampa...Lacavalier(overpaid huge!!)...) will feel the pain when they start loosing players like St. Louis or Richards.

Time will tell but I think there will be good free agents available almost every year in the New NHL. The gamble's that JFJ has taken could pay HUGE dividends when it's all said and done. On the other hand it could blow up in his face.....but really what choice did he have? He's trying to remain competitive now while having the ability to build a strong future with free agency and for a change not dealing away our draft picks.........I'm somewhat satisfied save for the Belfour thing....
Cujo's not the same player he used to be. There's a reason why Sean Burke was signed before he was, and was signed to more money. Cujo would have been a huge downgrade. Signing a Forsberg or a Foote or a Whitney wouldn't have made any kind of net improvement to the team because we'd be crap in goal.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Leaf Army

Duhastshek is always clearly biased towards the Western teams. Is anyone truly surprised that he ranked Calgary/Edmonton first and second respectively?

Trying to do what Duhastshek did (rank all 30 teams based on their signings) is a monumental and confusing task. Really it doesn't mean much. The reasoning he used for ranking teams the way he did causes him to condradict himself more than once.

But the perhaps the dumbest thing is criticizing Ferguson because Iginla, Lecavalier and Thornton were signed. Does anyone actually think that the success of Ferguson's plan was totally reliant on signing one of these guys?

Please use your brain Eric.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Macman

It's too early to say who did well or not. Time and injuries will decide. I usually respect Eric's work, but I feel he's way off the mark in this article. He doesn't seem to take into account how much teams paid for players and for how long and that's what's going to determine in the long run who did well and who didn't.

I don't know how he can talk about the Flyers signing the "injury-prone" Forsberg and whether or not Hatcher can "regain his old form," yet he ranks them among the "good" signings while labelling the Leafs as losers after they signed guys with exactly the same questions marks but with contracts that won't cripple Toronto for years if they don't work out. Makes no sense.

Old
08-20-2005, 11:51 AM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess
Yup 1998-99 .. 268 goals for ..

Check it out ..

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagu...l19271999.html
Problem with that team was only six teams in the whole league surrendered more goals!

Old
08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
Problem with that team was only six teams in the whole league surrendered more goals!
Wasn't that much of problem considering the Leafs were one of the last four teams standing that year.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:

he always does

modin sundin thomas
berezin perreault valk
k.king sullivan domi

kaberle karpovstev
y.tremblay s.cote
markov yushkevich
mcallister
Actually Jason Smith was in the lineup Kabby Tremblay and Markov were rotated into the lineup. McCallister was aquired of waivers in the mid-season from Vancouver. Note that all the players were good skaters except for Perrault.

Anyone remember who the goaler was.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
No claim was made about their defence, only that they led the league in scoring.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Wow, this is one crappy piece of writing. Why are the Kings under 'the ugly' when they got more talent than they lost (keeping in mind that Deadmarsh and Allison didn't even play last season)? Why is Minnesota above the Leafs? Are you telling me Nazarov and Ferguson are better acquisitions than Lindros, Allison, O'Neill and Khavanov? I didn't expect this kind of brain-dead drivel from Duhatschek, but I guess that's sports journalism for you.

Closed Thread