Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 02:50 AM
774EVER
DR. SILLYPANTS...

vCash: 500
Bruins interested in Therien?

THERIEN A GONER IN WAIVER DRAFT?

PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEW: Edward Moran reports Chris Therien's nine-year tenure with the Flyers - the only NHL club he's played for - could come to an end today if he's picked up by another club in the waiver draft. Moran reports "Boston, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Columbus and Chicago have expressed interest" in Therien, but the veteran is disappointed that he's become the odd man out on the Flyers blueline.

Spector's Note: I'll bet he's hoping either Boston or Toronto selects him. At least with those clubs he's got a legitimate shot at playing for a playoff contender.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/

Old
10-03-2003, 02:53 AM
neelynugs

we really have no room for an overpaid traffic cone.

Old
10-03-2003, 03:08 AM
sagginb

Would I not like to have Chris Therien on the B's..well no and yes.
He could help the team but at the saem time he is what he is...like "nug's" said...a traffic cone...slow moving pilon!
We already have a few of them in place here in Boston with our man Gill leading the way.
I would pass on him myself...if I was to select anyone it would be a center for depth or maybe move up to try for T.Simpson to add his edge to the lineup.
I can see the Bruins doing nothing...but to trade for a higher pick to obtain T.Green would really balance this team out alot.
They have to see the unbalance situation at center...heck we use guys like Bergeron and Zinovjev as key parts already to make up line pairs.
There should be some strong parts already in place as for the youngs guys to out play for the spots.

So if I am GM....I do what I have to to obtain T.Green and his faceoff skills...why...because my team needs the help in that area!!!

Old
10-03-2003, 03:41 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagginb
Would I not like to have Chris Therien on the B's..well no and yes.
He could help the team but at the saem time he is what he is...like "nug's" said...a traffic cone...slow moving pilon!
We already have a few of them in place here in Boston with our man Gill leading the way.
I would pass on him myself...if I was to select anyone it would be a center for depth or maybe move up to try for T.Simpson to add his edge to the lineup.
I can see the Bruins doing nothing...but to trade for a higher pick to obtain T.Green would really balance this team out alot.
They have to see the unbalance situation at center...heck we use guys like Bergeron and Zinovjev as key parts already to make up line pairs.
There should be some strong parts already in place as for the youngs guys to out play for the spots.

So if I am GM....I do what I have to to obtain T.Green and his faceoff skills...why...because my team needs the help in that area!!!
I'm with you. The Bruins have enough size on defense. Instead, they need mobility and puck skill. If they want another d-man, they should get Berard. At least that way they will have one full-blooded run & gun player who can carry the puck up ice and help set the play.

Other than that, I agree, Travis Green should be the top target. I already said it before, but if the Bruins can make a good line out of Rolston, Samsonov and Knuble or Lapointe, then they have the chance for 2 legit scoring threats. All they would have to do is put together a decent 2-way third line and they could perhaps spread out their offense enough to have a balanced attack:

(one of Huml/Hilbert/Knuble)-Thornton-Murray
Samsonov-Rolston-(one of Lapointe/Knuble/Zinovjev)
Axelsson-Green-(one of Zamuner/Lapointe/Zinovjev/Samuelsson)

By the way, it was a given that McCarthy can't skate. But his presence, intangibles and hockey sense are a welcome change over Belanger & Oliwa. Still, his shortcomings make it tough for him to get in scoring position and transition effectively with the play -- and with Lapointe, Zamuner and Knuble ahead of him, his play will probably be limited mostly to the 4th line. I could see him substituting on other lines when a little extra "presence" is needed.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:51 AM
brianscot

I have to concur with the above postings.

Therien types already populate the bruins backline.

Acquiring another 4-5 type defenseman would be a lateral move similiar to the revolving mediocre goalie door.

It also presents another body needed to be moved once (and if) the defensive prospects are ready to step in.

Therien, no doubt, will still have an NHL job, perhaps on a strong team looking for complimentary role players.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:48 AM
John Flyers Fan

Actually Therien is a pretty good skater, especially for someone of his size.

He provides very little offense, and isn't as physical as you would like him to be, but a good solid NHL defenseman. Drawback is that he makes $2.5 million, but only for one year.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:22 AM
bwunderlich

agree with you meister on mccarthy. where i think he will surprise is when he gets the odd shift with thornton. look for him to grind out some goals with spot duty on the 1st & 2nd line.

therien - thanks but no thanks

Closed Thread