HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Top-5 Pick to Toronto

Old
04-13-2014, 09:44 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
Doubt Colin Wilson or Nikita Filatov woulda got us JvR.

Great trade up! nabbed us a great player
Oh I don't know. With the way the fanboys in the media pump up the players, I am sure Wilson or Filatov would have been budding, young stars according to the Toronto press.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Avec Fromage*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
If Burke felt that Ritchie would be there at 8, I could see a deal like 8th + Gardiner + Reimer for 5th and a 3rd rounder.
Are you insane?

Avec Fromage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 10:24 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
I'd be willing to trade anything except for Rielly and Bernier to get Sam Reinhart.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 10:51 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana View Post
If the Canucks get 6th (Which is likely) and Draisaitl is still on the board, what would you Leafs fans offer for it? Just curious.
I don't want LD, too slow for the NHL and lacks high end HockeyIQ.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Sterling31
YNWA

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Oh I don't know. With the way the fanboys in the media pump up the players, I am sure Wilson or Filatov would have been budding, young stars according to the Toronto press.
likely.

Makes sense- because everyone (including fans and haters of the leafs) have em labelled as a bust before they leave jr.

Gotta find a happy median

Sterling31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Swagger17

I would like to see the Leafs move into the top 4; I think it is possible to do with the expendable roster players that we have that may interest Edmonton or the Islanders (without moving Gardiner like many are proposing).

As much as Oil fans are hating on Phaneuf right now, I bet their management wouldn't mind a #2 which they don't have. Not sure if Islanders would like Lupul on JT's wing (could be a lethal combo if Lupul can stay healthy), which I imagine will require another + due to health concerns. I feel that both teams could use big roster pieces to make a jump in the standings next year that they could sacrifice a higher pick to expedite their growth. These trades obviously include our, most likely, 8th overall pick.

Swagger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avec Fromage View Post
Are you insane?
Dont think an awful backup goalie + a hype project is enough to move top5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I'd be willing to trade anything except for Rielly and Bernier to get Sam Reinhart.
Are you insane ?

I know you aren't used to seeing a decent goalie, but that's all Bernier is. It's rather easy to find another one just as good as him, just think of what you had to give up to get him in a trade. Rielly is a good prospect, but Reinhart has franchise potential. Franchise center vs offensive d-man. I understand you need to find some guys to love in this not-so-likeable group since you're pipedreaming anyway though.

Last edited by Connor McJesus: 04-13-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Connor McJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
XxJammingxX

Phaneuf + 2014 1st for Edmonton 1st.

Honestly it may seem like overpayment on Edmonton's part, but look at MacTavish's place. He NEEDS to make the playoffs next season. I honestly think a guy like Phaneuf can get them there and trading down in the draft will be worth it than risking ruining the rest of the younger players confidence.

XxJammingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:34 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJammingxX View Post

Honestly it may seem like overpayment on Edmonton's part, but look at MacTavish's place. He NEEDS to make the playoffs next season. I honestly think a guy like Phaneuf can get them there and trading down in the draft will be worth it than risking ruining the rest of the younger players confidence.
What about Nonis' place?

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:35 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Quote:

Overpayment on Edmonton's part?

When in the past have teams trade their top pairing defenseman to move up 6 spots in a draft?

The leafs are in no shape to be handing out favors to other hockey clubs.

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
Dont think an awful backup goalie + a hype project is enough to move top5.

Are you insane ?

I know you aren't used to seeing a decent goalie, but that's all Bernier is. It's rather easy to find another one just as good as him, just think of what you had to give up to get him in a trade. Rielly is a good prospect, but Reinhart has franchise potential. Franchise center vs offensive d-man. I understand you need to find some guys to love in this not-so-likeable group since you're pipedreaming anyway though.
I know you're purposefully being an idiot, like the majority of your other posts.

But I would LOVE to see you prove to me that Bernier is only a "decent" goalie, or even that Reimer is a "terrible back-up"...

Gardiner a "hype project" What kind of project plays top 4 minutes?

ADD SOME SUBSTANCE to your crap posts, please.

I'll be waiting.

Old
04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
For discussion's sake, lets assume the draft order remains as-is in the standings:
  1. Buffalo
  2. Florida
  3. Edmonton
  4. New York Islanders
  5. Calgary

What do you think it would take to entice any one of those organizations to move down to 8th in draft?

TML's 8th overall + ? Other ideas? I don't think Buffalo or Florida would move their picks at all but 3-5 could be in play
What information do you have to say that the Leafs guy is likely going to be available at one of those picks, while one of those team's guy is likely going to be available at the Leafs pick?

If that situation does end up being the case, the Leafs would likely have to throw a prospect or two, depending on how far they want to move.

Either way, it's probably in the Leafs best interest to try and move down a couple of times, while restocking some 2nd rounders.

Last edited by seanlinden: 04-14-2014 at 04:05 PM.
seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Doublechin

Kessel to the Islanders for the 5th overall pick, Ryan Pulock and perhaps another 2nd round pcik or a lower end prospect .

The Isles are in a sticky situation regarding the 1st pick, they wouldn't wanna forfeit a 5th overall pick and they should try to get better in order to make sure and not to forfeit a 1st overall pick next year, that would be a disaster.

With the loss of Moulson acquiring Kessel is the best thing they could do and honestly Kessel is better off in a market where he woul be over shadowed by another star player, I also think him and the Leafs are both better off by this separation.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
XxJammingxX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Overpayment on Edmonton's part?

When in the past have teams trade their top pairing defenseman to move up 6 spots in a draft?

The leafs are in no shape to be handing out favors to other hockey clubs.
I don't think thats doing Edmonton a favour. Toronto can now draft a #1 center (which Edmonton already has). Getting rid of Phaneuf allows them to name a new captain and get some proper leadership. Sure you lose Phaneuf on the blueline, but improving the leadership and accountability of ALL players (through a new captain and system), while gaining a #1 center in the process leaves Toronto in a much much better position. Plus they have some D they can call up (Granberg, Biggs) who can keep the depth on the blue line. If needed they can go after guys hitting free agency (Mezardos, Orpik). Or they can put together a trade and try to pry Marc Staal away from the Rangers.

Making this trade opens so many doors for the Leafs to take this team in a different direction. I am a leaf fan and I don't see them doing this as a favour to Edmonton.

XxJammingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
I don't think thats doing Edmonton a favour. Toronto can now draft a #1 center (which Edmonton already has). Getting rid of Phaneuf allows them to name a new captain and get some proper leadership. Sure you lose Phaneuf on the blueline, but improving the leadership and accountability of ALL players (through a new captain and system), while gaining a #1 center in the process leaves Toronto in a much much better position. Plus they have some D they can call up (Granberg, Biggs) who can keep the depth on the blue line. If needed they can go after guys hitting free agency (Mezardos, Orpik). Or they can put together a trade and try to pry Marc Staal away from the Rangers.

Making this trade opens so many doors for the Leafs to take this team in a different direction. I am a leaf fan and I don't see them doing this as a favour to Edmonton.
No.

First of all, Biggs is a winger.

Second, how in the hell will trading Phaneuf, our captain, help our leadership and accountability? Obviously that will only hurt it, being that he was named captain for a reason. I know how much HF posters like to think they know whats going on in the dressing room, but truthfully, they don't have any clue. The blame shouldn't be set on Phaneuf all by himself, every single player in that room should be held accountable.

How are we getting a new system though this trade? Are you guys firing Carlyle and co for us?

Making this trade makes our defense substantially worse, which is our biggest need, and we move up 6 spots in a weakish draft. Edmonton gets a veteran top pairing defenseman, and move down 6 spots, where they can still pick up a potential 2nd line centreman.

Yes, this is doing Edmonton a huge favor, and would most likely take them from a basement team, to a bubble playoff team.

Old
04-14-2014, 04:23 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
IMO, the Islanders could be interested because they HAVE to be better next year and will be looking to gain players.
what the cost to go from 8th to 4th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
If Burke felt that Ritchie would be there at 8, I could see a deal like 8th + Gardiner + Reimer for 5th and a 3rd rounder.
thats pretty steep. it would need to be for a specific player who is 100% on the board (ie: leon). i think the 3rd would need to be a 2nd. gardiner is more then a throw in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublechin View Post
Kessel to the Islanders for the 5th overall pick, Ryan Pulock and perhaps another 2nd round pcik or a lower end prospect .

The Isles are in a sticky situation regarding the 1st pick, they wouldn't wanna forfeit a 5th overall pick and they should try to get better in order to make sure and not to forfeit a 1st overall pick next year, that would be a disaster.

With the loss of Moulson acquiring Kessel is the best thing they could do and honestly Kessel is better off in a market where he woul be over shadowed by another star player, I also think him and the Leafs are both better off by this separation.
kessel isnt getting moved for that package.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:31 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Moving up 6 spots in the draft will not take a NHL top pairing defeseman, nor, Gardiner and Reimer.

Some recent trades where teams moved up:

(I realize majority of these were later in the 1st round, but it still should put into context how ridiculous some of the proposals are)

2012 - Buffalo Sabres trade No. 21 and No. 42 to Calgary Flames for No. 14 overall (Zemgus Girgensons)
2011 - Maple Leafs trade No. 30, No. 39 to Anaheim Ducks for No. 22 overall
2010 - Kings trade No. 19, No. 59 to Panthers for No. 15 overall (Derek Forbort)
2008 - Maple Leafs trade No. 7, No. 68 and No. 37 (2009) to Islanders for No. 5 overall (Luke Schenn)
2008 - Predators trade No. 9, No 40 to Islanders for No. 7 overall (Colin Wilson)

Last edited by Hennig: 04-14-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old
04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Moving up 6 spots in the draft will not take a NHL top pairing defeseman, nor, Gardiner and Reimer.

(I realize majority of these were later in the 1st round, but it still should put into context how ridiculous some of the proposals are)

2012 - Buffalo Sabres trade No. 21 and No. 42 to Calgary Flames for No. 14 overall (Zemgus Girgensons)
2010 - Kings trade No. 19, No. 59 to Panthers for No. 15 overall (Derek Forbort)
2008 - Maple Leafs trade No. 7, No. 68 and No. 37 (2009) to Islanders for No. 5 overall (Luke Schenn)
2008 - Predators trade No. 9, No 40 to Islanders for No. 7 overall (Colin Wilson)
there is a difference in value as you move further and further down in the draft. the earlier in the draft the better chance of getting a quality player. i think the best example would be the luke schenn trade. to go from #7 to #5 leafs gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. based on that to go from #8 to #5 would be slight more? maybe the value of two 2nd round picks?

there is also a big difference between #5 and #3. top 3 picks are going to cost. a team would be well in their right to ask for something like gardiner to go from #8 to #3. sure its steep but imo reinhart/bennet/ekblad is going to be better then gardiner + whatever is taken with the 8th.

Old
04-14-2014, 05:00 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeliscious View Post
there is a difference in value as you move further and further down in the draft. the earlier in the draft the better chance of getting a quality player. i think the best example would be the luke schenn trade. to go from #7 to #5 leafs gave up a 2nd and a 3rd. based on that to go from #8 to #5 would be slight more? maybe the value of two 2nd round picks?

there is also a big difference between #5 and #3. top 3 picks are going to cost. a team would be well in their right to ask for something like gardiner to go from #8 to #3. sure its steep but imo reinhart/bennet/ekblad is going to be better then gardiner + whatever is taken with the 8th.
Yes, I realize that.

The team may want Gardiner, but I don't think the leafs would do it. Especially considering defense is a bigger need for us than a centerman. The leafs will be better off just drafting and developing their own player they pick @ 8, and keeping Gardiner who is already a top four D for us.

Old
04-14-2014, 05:12 PM
Djp

Quote:

How many of these trades involved top 10 picks??? generally 2 spots will mean a 2nd round pick...3 spots will mean more.

the best toronto could do picking at 8 or 9 would be to move up to 5.

That would still cost them. tthe teams in the top 5 will not trade down. Bufalo , and Calgary will not. Edmonton may be willing to but the trade down would likely involve a player who can play in the NHL next year coming back instead of picks. The Islanders may be willing to trade down or trade their pick entirely for the same reason--bringing in a young NHL ready player for next year instead of waiting for this pick to develop. Florida likely stays because they fell their team is turning a corner so this should be the last year the team finishes in the top 5.

Among the top 5 teams there can be trades where teams move up/down 1-3 spots.

If Buffalo was sitting at #1 they may try to generate a bidding war between Florida and Edmonton to get the #1 pick and see what they give up. Buffalo's willingness to trade down will depend on what their internal draft board looks like.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:17 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
How many of these trades involved top 10 picks??? generally 2 spots will mean a 2nd round pick...3 spots will mean more.

the best toronto could do picking at 8 or 9 would be to move up to 5.

That would still cost them. tthe teams in the top 5 will not trade down. Bufalo , and Calgary will not. Edmonton may be willing to but the trade down would likely involve a player who can play in the NHL next year coming back instead of picks. The Islanders may be willing to trade down or trade their pick entirely for the same reason--bringing in a young NHL ready player for next year instead of waiting for this pick to develop. Florida likely stays because they fell their team is turning a corner so this should be the last year the team finishes in the top 5.

Among the top 5 teams there can be trades where teams move up/down 1-3 spots.

If Buffalo was sitting at #1 they may try to generate a bidding war between Florida and Edmonton to get the #1 pick and see what they give up. Buffalo's willingness to trade down will depend on what their internal draft board looks like.
Isles have NHL ready or almost NHL ready youngsters Strome/Lee/Reinhart/Pulock/Pokka . Not counting on the 2014 pick to be NHL ready.

Isles also have three second rounders this draft. No interest in trading out of the top five for a sweetner like a second or third.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Markov is getting up in years, which is why we might be able to outbid a few teams by giving extra years(maybe 4?). All that being said only way we most likely will get a top end defenseman is trade for one and it's not like they grow on trees. I don't think Phaneuf will be traded personally but if he does come on the market we have to kick tires. Yandle probably won't be put on the market as well but he is the only defenseman I could see be put up for grabs
Not to side track this thread, but Markov did ask for 4 years back when reports were coming in about an extension.

2 years would be great, 3 is alright. Just adding Markov if Montreal let's him walk/trades his rights would make every Islanders dman a little better just from what he can teach them.

However, given his age and injuries he's slow as hell.

Montreal tried really hard last season to move up quite high but were unable to. It's not as easy as people think it is.

Analyzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:23 PM
gabeliscious

Quote:
Yes, I realize that.

The team may want Gardiner, but I don't think the leafs would do it. Especially considering defense is a bigger need for us than a centerman. The leafs will be better off just drafting and developing their own player they pick @ 8, and keeping Gardiner who is already a top four D for us.
i disagree. i think the with the amount of defenseman the leafs have in their system vs centers the center is the bigger need. to be clear i was suggesting gardiner and 8th for #3, not for another pick. reinerhart/bennet are a clear tier above the other centers projected to go in the top 10-15 picks.

Old
04-14-2014, 05:38 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
How wonderful, they move 3 spots down to pick the player they want yet gain a 23 year old top 4D and a 26 year old starting goalie?

Who is this Top 4D and Starting goaltender you talk about?

Bernier and Gunnarsson? Cause its certainly not Reimer and Gardiner.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Ricky Bobby

For reference in 2008:

The New York Islanders' first-round pick (5th overall) went to the Toronto Maple Leafs as the result of a trade on June 20, 2008, that sent the 7th-overall pick and either the 60th-overall pick and a third-round pick in 2009 or the 68th-overall pick and a second-round pick in 2009 in exchange for this pick.

Ricky Bobby is online now   Reply With Quote