HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick & Puck being taken over by ********** wanting to play pick-up

Old
04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Sykora|39
Anaheim Ducks

vCash: 500
Stick & Puck being taken over by ********** wanting to play pick-up

So I work nights 3 days a week and every one of those mornings I go to my local rink for stick & puck - the last few weeks have been awesome. It's been just me and 3 or 4 older guys who keep to themselves on the other side of the ice.

Lately though there has been this one guy, probably 23 years old - looks just like a young Iginla - who tries to gather everyone on the ice for a scrimmage or pick-up game.

Mind you, this place does drop-in games from 7am-10am and S&P from 10:30am-1pm.

Sometimes they have local teams practice on one side of the ice and have the 3 or 4 stick and puck guys do their thing on the other half.

So this kid goes around and begs everyone to play a mini 3 v 3 or 2 v 2 scrimmage game.

90% of the time everyone agrees which leaves NO ice for me to just mess around before work.

If I wanted to play pick-up I would have showed up 2 hours earlier and so should everyone else.

It is 100% AGAINST the rules to scrimmage during stick & puck as well.

This kid only does this because he thinks he is so good and wants to show off - he is ok but nothing special. His face is the kind of face you want to punch, his attitude makes you want to ask him why he is the way he is. I totally realize I sound like the dbag here. But it's so frustrating paying money and not being to work on skating, shooting, drills etc.

Should I tell the attendants and be THAT guy?

If all the others agree it makes ME look like the jerk.

I do not know what to do...

Sykora|39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 10:32 PM
MattGTI

Stick and puck does devolve into a glorified pickup game a lot of the time(at least in my experience).

Usually though, guys are cool enough to let the guys that don't want to scrimmage have half the ice to themselves to do what they are there to do.

If the rinks rules are no scrimmaging during stick/puck, you have every right to bring it up to the rink manager. The rink clearly has times designated for each thing. Your not "that guy" unless they are giving you a place to do your thing, while they do theirs at the other end.

Coaches should really know better than running practice at open stick/puck or open hockey as well.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2014, 11:25 PM
silkyjohnson50

We end up playing mini pick up games every time I've skated at S&P as well. I understand your frustration, but that seems to be the way it just is unfortunately.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 01:52 AM
Terry Yake

i rarely go to sticktimes anymore but what bothers me the most about sticktimes is when the rink allows coaches to conduct lessons and drills for kids at the same time, leaving just a small corner of the ice for players who are just there to shoot around. that's the worst

as for pickup during sticktimes, i remember it used to happen from time to time at the rink i used to attend at but i never really had an issue with it. If a player didn't want to play in the game they'd usually just shoot at the opposite end

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 02:38 AM
scryan

So what did they say to you when they asked if everyone wanted to play a game, and you said you were just trying to get some solo practice before work?

scryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:08 PM
Jive Time

Personally, I love half ice pickup. Especially 3 on 3 so I'm one of the first guys to jump in but I definitely understand your frustration.

A little consideration goes a long way and beer league teams need to know when to give up some of the space they are holding when crowds increase. Pickups are just going to happen because that's what a large percentage of players want.

Generally the middle of the ice is reserved for guys who work on skating or they bring out extra nets for shooting. When it's really crowded, we stop playing tag up on change of possession and opt for one pass (keeps guys inside the blue line and keeps the play moving).

Coaching at stick time is also going to happen and that's the way it is at every rink I've been to. I've learned to deal with it and for the most part, they are pretty reasonable.

You have to speak up if you want changes. Can't hurt to ask.

Jive Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:20 PM
SillyMe

I usually don't mind, and have actually joined in, but sometimes I too just want to work on moves/stickhandling/shooting at the other end.
Stinks when you get there a lil later and they don't have goalies though, as the whole ice will be gone while they play post.
Guys are all cool, and would like you to play, but sometimes I have other ideas.

SillyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Caps2Fan

I understand the frustration, this is a daily occurrence at the rink I go to. I think the more frustrating scenario is when there are two goalies (unbelievably rare), and one of them is a part of the half-ice pickup game and the other one is working on his positioning and doesn't want anyone shooting at him. I feel like those goalies should just set up a net along the boards near center ice and work on things there. Stick and pucks are weird, cliquish events at my rink.

Caps2Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2014, 04:29 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
sounds like you need to drop your mitts and start throwing bombs

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:19 PM
mistrhanky

Why don't you just tell them no and ask them to keep it to half ice? If they don't then complain. There is no reason 3v3 should be anything more than half ice anyway.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 11:45 AM
goonx

I agree, just say you want half the ice to practice unless they are d-bags.

goonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 04:42 PM
Canadiens1958

Reminder

Just a reminder the thread does not need name calling or unnecessary descriptive phrasing. Very basic topic that has merit for all.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 05:20 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Why don't you just tell them no and ask them to keep it to half ice? If they don't then complain. There is no reason 3v3 should be anything more than half ice anyway.
This would be my suggestion, too. The folks who want a mini-game can play half-ice, the guys who just want to noodle about with the puck and what have you can play on the other half. Everyone wins.

04-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
sounds like you need to drop your mitts and start throwing bombs

I dunno, to me it sounds like your the fun police. I wouldnt do anything or say anything, so what...kids want to play hockey. I love playing pickup at stick and puck, especially if there is only one goalie. There is only so much shooting on an empty net or waiting for guys to take shots in a line you can do.

Find another rink or ice slot

Last edited by Kevin Danko: 04-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2014, 08:55 PM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Danko View Post

I dunno, to me it sounds like your the fun police. I wouldnt do anything or say anything, so what...kids want to play hockey. I love playing pickup at stick and puck, especially if there is only one goalie. There is only so much shooting on an empty net or waiting for guys to take shots in a line you can do.

Find another rink or ice slot
Hahahahaga!
Ge just told you that there is a DEDICATED pickup time period before stick, so what's the problem?

Old
04-07-2014, 08:23 AM
redbranch

this drives me crazy as well. If I want pickup hockey, I'll go to the time slot for it.

I used to cave in, but I don't have a lot of time, and I genuinely enjoy practicing and working on something.

At this point I'm friendly, but completely blunt. "Thanks, but I came here specifically to work on stuff rather than play at the pickup time slot an hour from now. If you guys want to play, you take half the ice and I'll work on this half"

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Devil Dancer

It doesn't bother me, and sometimes I join in, if it's only half ice and there's another half I can use to practice, but it sounds like that's not the case for the OP.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:31 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Yeah as long as they don't try to play full ice I wouldn't mind too much.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 10:40 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

3-on-3 should not be a full ice event. That's just silly...

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 07:37 PM
scryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMe View Post
Hahahahaga!
Ge just told you that there is a DEDICATED pickup time period before stick, so what's the problem?
Im pretty sure there is NO problem. Like, anywhere.

OP even said they asked him... I dunno I feel like if he can't say "Sorry guys, but I made a point to come to stick time not pickup, can you all leave me ice to practice solo on?" that is his fault.

I get that "its against the rules", but a lot of the time everyone there would prefer game type practice... and if that is true why shouldn't they do that? That is why they ask, so that the people who want solo practice can speak up.

I've been on the other side of this, where I was one of the guys asking if anyone minds a game... Only for EVERYONE to be into the idea.... Then find out later someone was pissy they had to play a game. THIS IS WHY I ASKED YOU DIRECTLY WHAT YOU ARE OK WITH! SPEAK THE **** UP.

Old
04-10-2014, 09:34 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

from what I've dealt with here, stick time is usually 4:30 to 5:50. Usually nobody starts asking about 3v3 until about halfway into the session and in most cases there's a vote. Even then it's usually kept to half-ice.

My biggest beef is what Yake mentioned. Stick time isn't a coaching session for Little Jimmy. I remember a few years back I bought a new stick with a pattern that I wasn't used to, so I spent the better part of the stick time trying to get a feel for the stick. This also included ripping a few shots from out past the circles, with lots of the shot sailing high and wide. As one shot rings off the crossbar, bounces out to the side, a dude in a track suit starts skating towards me and pushes the puck back to me. He then tells me "would you mind not shooting like that?" I looked around like maybe I almost missed somebody behind the net (new stick, shots were missing a lot) or if maybe I came close to clipping somebody. I ask what he means and he tells me "I have a couple of kids on their way out and we're gonna need this end." First, no, you don't NEED this end. You can ask, especially since there were a few more skaters that would swap in and out of the 3v3 after 5 goals. You don't show up a half hour in and start laying claim to the ice. Second, the ice has already been cut in half. At least the 3v3 going on in the other end had the courtesy to ask if I was in. I'm not dropping $10 to skate on a fraction of ice. Eventually I ended up joining the 3v3 because coach had one of his kids bring cones with him and littered them all throughout the end that he claimed.

(sorry for the rant)

iamjs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:49 PM
scryan

Round here the coaching IS obnoxious at times... But its always run by the rink so its a bit of a "What are you going to do?" I mean you can deal with it and pay for the portion of the ice they give you, or you can not use their ice/ask for refund... But I want ice.

A bit easier as goalie though, but really sucks when other goalies are there and suddenly you can't get a net because coaching.

Old
04-11-2014, 01:27 AM
Terry Yake

it just got so bad at the rinks around here that i stopped going to stick time altogether. nothing would make me more mad than paying 15 bucks and getting dressed only to get out on the ice and find that they've crammed 10-15 players on a tiny corner of the ice because the rest of the ice is filled with coaches doing lessons. to make matters worse, there were many times where there would be only 3 pucks for 10 players because the coaches would refuse to let players use a few of the million pucks they had, like they actually would use all those pucks for lessons

if i'm paying 15 bucks i'd like at least one half of the ice to shoot on

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 01:48 AM
Fanned On It

I'm usually one to partake in the pick-up but we always keep it to half-ice so that the ones that don't want to play can do their thing. The only times I've ever played full-ice was when literally every single person there was down to scrimmage and that rarely happens. So, yeah... just speak up, bro. Do your thing.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 07:46 AM
SillyMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by scryan View Post
Im pretty sure there is NO problem. Like, anywhere.

OP even said they asked him... I dunno I feel like if he can't say "Sorry guys, but I made a point to come to stick time not pickup, can you all leave me ice to practice solo on?" that is his fault.

I get that "its against the rules", but a lot of the time everyone there would prefer game type practice... and if that is true why shouldn't they do that? That is why they ask, so that the people who want solo practice can speak up.

I've been on the other side of this, where I was one of the guys asking if anyone minds a game... Only for EVERYONE to be into the idea.... Then find out later someone was pissy they had to play a game. THIS IS WHY I ASKED YOU DIRECTLY WHAT YOU ARE OK WITH! SPEAK THE **** UP.
Like I said, there is a DEDICATED time slot for PU, if they wanna play 3v3 on 1/2 the ice while folks practice shooting/skating/sh, then fine.
Just don't show up at ST and EXPECT that you can take the whole ice for a pu game, while people are there to practice stuff instead.