HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OLN on Cablevision Basic Cable Package before the Season?

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 01:16 PM
DaBadGuy7

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DaBadGuy7
OLN on Cablevision Basic Cable Package before the Season?

I have Cablevision basic cable and some premium channels so since the first game on OLN involves the Rangers and will be blackout on MSG. So will Dolan put OLN of Cablevision's basic cable package before the season starts?

Old
08-20-2005, 01:19 PM
free0717

I hope so. I will be bummed if he doesnt get it on basic cable.

http://cablevision.com/index.jhtml?p...d=38&digital=1

Old
08-20-2005, 01:22 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
how about with IO?

i will be really mad if I dont get to see the game on October 5th

Old
08-20-2005, 01:26 PM
nyr7andcounting

Why do they black out the game on the local channel, that doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it be easier to black out the OLN coverage, since most people in NY don't get that anyway.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:39 PM
nrf83

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
Why do they black out the game on the local channel, that doesn't make any sense. Wouldn't it be easier to black out the OLN coverage, since most people in NY don't get that anyway.
I have dish. Its channel 608. Thank god I will be able to watch NYR.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717

That line up is pathetic.. Why don't you change your cable provider.

Old
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
Fletch

Change cable provider?

I think it many areas, that's impossible. WHere I am in Brooklyn, I have one choice, and that's Time Warner. I'm lucky enough to have a house and could get sattelite, but I'm too lazy.

Old
08-20-2005, 02:08 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Wait , MSG is not going to be airing all the Ranger games, i dont have OLN. Do this mean when ever OLN plans to show a NYR game MSG is gonna black out NYR games? I dont get it what the hell is going on. I know there will be no hockey on espn which is horrible. I guess now Im going to have to spend $150 for that package on IO, choose 10 teams and its 10 channels. Thats alot of money to waste, and it is alot of hockey. I mean I love hockey but i think my girlfriend will want to watch TV occasionally.

Old
08-20-2005, 02:16 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

NHL Center Ice

How do you buy the NHL Center Ice if you have IO. I had DirectTV for the last 3 yrs or so for the yankees. I just switched to IO, so how do you get the hockey package? Help would be much appreciated.

Also I know games used to be on Metro and now that I've switched to IO, I heard that the Rangers wont be on Metro anymore, is this true?

Old
08-20-2005, 02:18 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
That line up is pathetic.. Why don't you change your cable provider.
Yes, I live in jersey and have no choice of Cable provider. I would get Direct TV but there are always a half a dozen games on Metro which other cable companies cant get. If I got direct TV, then I wouldnt get the Metro games.

Furthermore, in January, Howard Stern is coming to On Demand, so I dont want to give up Cable TV.

Old
08-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

free, I spoke to Cablevision today. You can add OLN to iO digital service. Click on Channel 401 on that listings and you get: http://www.io.tv/index.jhtml?pageType=sports_tier

Charges:
  • standard cable package
  • + $9.95 for iO digital upgrade
  • + $4.95 for the iO box
  • + $4.95 for the sports package that includes OLN

Bascially, add $20/month to your existing cable bill. I may hold off until I see if Dolan is going to add to OLN to either basic service or basic iO service first.

Old
08-20-2005, 02:35 PM
Fire Sather
4 MORE YEARS!

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
I guess I'll have to upgrade to that package. I'm waiting to see what Dolan will do, too.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:32 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Given Cablevision's track record, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Dolan to add OLN to their basic cable package. Especially since Comcast owns the channel.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:43 PM
Original6

Quote:
Yes, I live in jersey and have no choice of Cable provider. I would get Direct TV but there are always a half a dozen games on Metro which other cable companies cant get. If I got direct TV, then I wouldnt get the Metro games.

Furthermore, in January, Howard Stern is coming to On Demand, so I dont want to give up Cable TV.
Get the regional sports pack from either Dishnetwork or Directv. In my short stint in the US I worked for Dishnetwork and Turner as an independant contractor and I'll tell you right now that Directv offers more sports than any other service out there. If you get the regional/ more sports pack (whatever they call it now) you will be able to view atleast 18 or so games a week with NESN, MSG, FSN pittsburg, Comcast Philly, FSN south, etc.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:46 PM
ap215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch
How do you buy the NHL Center Ice if you have IO. I had DirectTV for the last 3 yrs or so for the yankees. I just switched to IO, so how do you get the hockey package? Help would be much appreciated.

Also I know games used to be on Metro and now that I've switched to IO, I heard that the Rangers wont be on Metro anymore, is this true?
Yep there's no more Metro TV,they replaced it with those channel program scrolls where they show you what programs are on each channel,personally if i was Dolan i would replace it for either OLN,The NHL Network or something but i doubt it.

Old
08-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Graveytrain

not going to pay an extra 5 bucks month for a handful of a games... rather have the oppurtunity to watch them all...Hopefully the NHL center ice package will be drastically reduced in price this season, for their own sake... 150+ bucks will not do it this time around.. better be more like 75 or that may be it for this NHL fan...some good will might go an awful long way here...

Old
08-20-2005, 03:59 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Dolan??? Putting a competitor on his channel lineup????

Ya, that ain't happening

Old
08-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain
not going to pay an extra 5 bucks month for a handful of a games... rather have the oppurtunity to watch them all...Hopefully the NHL center ice package will be drastically reduced in price this season, for their own sake... 150+ bucks will not do it this time around.. better be more like 75 or that may be it for this NHL fan...some good will might go an awful long way here...
Center Ice is GREAT, but it's for watching the rest of the league. They blackout local teams (so if you're in the NYC area you don't get Ranger, Isles or Devils games) and if OLN has "exclusive" rights to a game, it can't be on Center Ice either. However, it's worth every penny because it gives the ability to turn on an interesting game/several games just about every night of the week. I'll definitely be getting it again, although I wouldn't mind an reduction in price for being crazy enough to still be a hockey fan.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:20 PM
Fish

Exactly what Brook said...in the past ESPN exclusives were not shown on Center Ice. The regional exclusive games (like with ABC last time around) would be on center ice, and often times ESPN2 games would have an equivalent MSG feed.

There was an article in Newsday today that said the opening night game against Philly will ONLY be on OLN and will not be on MSG because it's an exclusive. This is actually good for me, because I have DirecTV with the sports pack and I normally would not get a Flyers game (living hear near Philadelphia).

Old
08-20-2005, 04:22 PM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
Center Ice is GREAT, but it's for watching the rest of the league. They blackout local teams (so if you're in the NYC area you don't get Ranger, Isles or Devils games) and if OLN has "exclusive" rights to a game, it can't be on Center Ice either. However, it's worth every penny because it gives the ability to turn on an interesting game/several games just about every night of the week. I'll definitely be getting it again, although I wouldn't mind an reduction in price for being crazy enough to still be a hockey fan.
I doubt OLN will black out NHL centre ice games since they will most likely be giving out the feed to CI. Ratings from Center ice are still counted on the network.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:31 PM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
this is total bs, most people don't get OLN and they won't play it on MSG, i will be very pissed off if i can't watch the opener on October 5

Old
08-20-2005, 04:34 PM
BigE

I'm glad I live in Canada and don't have to worry about any of this.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:41 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHockey
I doubt OLN will black out NHL centre ice games since they will most likely be giving out the feed to CI. Ratings from Center ice are still counted on the network.
That's what the contract between the NHL and OLN calls for--why wouldn't OLN excercise it's exclusive right to show a game? Games carried exclusively on ESPN were blacked out, I'm sure OLN demanded (and received) the same right. OLN needs eyeballs watching hockey. That is the only thing that gives them leverage with cable providers that don't carry their network. They will not give up that right.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Original6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
That's what the contract between the NHL and OLN calls for--why wouldn't OLN excercise it's exclusive right to show a game? Games carried exclusively on ESPN were blacked out, I'm sure OLN demanded (and received) the same right. OLN needs eyeballs watching hockey. That is the only thing that gives them leverage with cable providers that don't carry their network. They will not give up that right.
Ya but when someone tunes in to the Broadcast through center ice the rating goes to whomever's feed it is.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:51 PM
Graveytrain

If the opening game is blacked out on MSG I give up

Closed Thread