HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors of Trotz going out.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2014, 05:48 PM
Flgatorguy87

vCash: 500
Rumors of Trotz going out.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/b...83&src=desktop

Rumors of Trotzy's demise.

Old
03-26-2014, 05:58 PM
RomanEmpire

Both parties need a fresh start. Trotz definitely wouldn't have a problem getting a job though..widely considered one of the best coaches in the league.

Old
03-26-2014, 06:17 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think it's time. The roster is also evolving away from Trotz's style. The centers are getting younger, Trotz loves his older C's.

Old
03-26-2014, 06:32 PM
Marty Party
@ The Bridge

I'm for it as well as both parties should know that the time has finally arrived for a change. Another bonus is that the next coach, whenever and whoever, won't have a great deal of pressure on them from following a 'legend'.

Plus they'll be in Nashville. Not exactly known for being a NHL pressure cooker for players, coaches and a general manager.

The picture below is from last nights game during a TV timeout. Snapped it because Roy caught my attention with the way he was getting with his team. They were probably down two goals at that time as well...so there's that.

Last edited by Marty Party; 03-26-2014 at 06:40 PM..
Old
03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
ChesterCopperpot1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Both parties need a fresh start. Trotz definitely wouldn't have a problem getting a job though..widely considered one of the best coaches in the league.
Agree. Sometimes, both parties need a fresh start.

Old
03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I think it's time. The roster is also evolving away from Trotz's style. The centers are getting younger, Trotz loves his older C's.
And what talented young centers has he passed up exactly?

If Trotz goes and Poile stays, nothing will change -- it will likely get worse. The forward talent disparity between us and the good teams is as wide as an ocean. No coach will fix that.

Needs to be Poile or Poile & Trotz. Just Trotz ain't gonna change a thing.

But if Poile is trying to buy time for himself....

Old
03-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Drake744
Tennessweden

vCash: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post

If Trotz goes and Poile stays, nothing will change -- it will likely get worse. The forward talent disparity between us and the good teams is as wide as an ocean. No coach will fix that.
You don't honestly think that some of our forwards aren't stifled offensively because of a coach who will gladly bench you if you don't focus as much defensively as offensively do you?

Old
03-26-2014, 07:14 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
You don't honestly think that some of our forwards aren't stifled offensively because of a coach who will gladly bench you if you don't focus as much defensively as offensively do you?
Whose words are those? I think some forwards might experience a slight decrease under Trotz, but the end results are offset because the focus is on the team game as a whole. That's why were were a good team with mediocre talent on our scoring lines like SK, Goc, Fisher, Legwand, Ward, etc. When Trotz has had better than mediocre talent at forward, he adapts his system to their talent level. That's why guys like Kariya, Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan, Harntell, Radulov, etc had good years under Trotz.

Yes, we could let Colin Wilson run around aimlessly like Sergei Krivokrasov and I'm sure he'd put up a few more points, but that wouldn't be being a good coach.

The difference the past two years is we've have the worst or 2nd-to-worse forward talent in the league. No coaching is going to overcome that.

Old
03-26-2014, 07:37 PM
PFL615

The Preds desperately need a culture change. It would be best for Trotz and the Preds. I would say it's almost certain Trotz is done at the end of the season. 75% chance Poile is gone to. Should be a summer for the record books

Old
03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
Flgatorguy87

I'm ok with this decision on ice. Off the ice I hate it. Trotz has established himself so much in the special needs community. He really does a great job for the Nashville area.

Old
03-26-2014, 08:26 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Pleaseeee

Old
03-26-2014, 08:39 PM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Excellent coach, great guy on and off the ice. Trotz has done a lot for the community in terms of charity and an unbelievable amount in the community in terms of hockey education. He is a huge reason that Nashville has gone from "I don't care anything about that game on ice that they sling that burnt piece of sausage around?" to a legitimate hockey town. Those who have followed this team from the beginning can certainly relate with that, being pretty much an outcast in the early days if you were seen wearing hockey gear, to now being stopped by strangers to talk about last night's game if someone sees your Preds shirt/hat. Trotz deserves so much credit for that.

However, it seems that the maturation of the franchise is also why he doesn't belong here anymore. I've been saying we need to move on for probably seven years now and each season there's a growing segment of the fanbase who agree. He was an unbelievably great choice for an expansion team, a great choice to build an identity for a team that doesn't have one. His work got them to the playoffs after six seasons, but after that it seems like the team hit it's ceiling. The players changed, the philosophy changed to fit the roster from season to season and really you just never got the feeling that a Preds team had the ability to win it all (aside from the fans who think the playoffs are all crapshoots and hot goalies).

I think a coaching change and hopefully GM change as well will not only signify but jumpstart the next phase of this team. The ties to the expansion team will be severed and we can move onward and upward. Yes there is the possibility that the next coach will have similar or worse results (Munchak), but that's part of sports and being a legitimate, big league team. The next coach could just as easily be an improvement and help the team take the next step.

Trotz will always be remembered fondly as a builder of the franchise and a great leader in the community. His games coached record will likely never be broken. But the time is well past due for the next era of Predators hockey to begin.

Old
03-26-2014, 08:42 PM
alexmanu

Laviolette would be good for us going forward, he trusts young players and let's them develop. Also he plays nice exciting hockey, may not win us more games but I'd like to see some more exciting hockey.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
kivaerijo

This will hurt bad in my opinion. This will put us back about three years. No coach will do a better job with this team...we have seen this team play more offensive game, and score goals, that turns into us forgetting defense and losing once again by one goal.

I'm fine with it, but if yo think this will make us a contender in the next year, your sadly mistaking. I bet we go through 3 more coaches before we start winning again. Heh, few losing seasons, and bad coaches, draft picks pile up, we get good again...sounds like a plan. Maybe then the so called "die hards" will buy tickets again and jump,on the band wagon saying they have been a fan since day one.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:49 PM
hockey diva

So we continue with a known quantity which has been unable to get it done in the playoffs?

I don't think a change would make us a contender next season but maybe the season after that we can start making some noise in the playoffs.

And it gives fans hope that maybe things will get better.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmanu View Post
Laviolette would be good for us going forward, he trusts young players and let's them develop. Also he plays nice exciting hockey, may not win us more games but I'd like to see some more exciting hockey.
Laviolette would be a disaster here. There is not one player on the roster or in the system that would accept his fireball type coaching. He is an @ss eater like Torts. This bunch is accustomed to the laid back style Trotz brought. The few times Trotz has called players out they did not last long here see Tootoo for one example.

Replacing Trotz and DP would totally shake the whole system massive trades the fan fav's would be top of the list. Now im not so sure that that would not be the right thing to do really the team is put together terribly.

Old
03-26-2014, 10:55 PM
RomanEmpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kivaerijo View Post
This will hurt bad in my opinion. This will put us back about three years. No coach will do a better job with this team...we have seen this team play more offensive game, and score goals, that turns into us forgetting defense and losing once again by one goal.

I'm fine with it, but if yo think this will make us a contender in the next year, your sadly mistaking. I bet we go through 3 more coaches before we start winning again. Heh, few losing seasons, and bad coaches, draft picks pile up, we get good again...sounds like a plan. Maybe then the so called "die hards" will buy tickets again and jump,on the band wagon saying they have been a fan since day one.

Umm I'm not sure anybody on this board thinks getting rid of Trotz will make us a contender next year..at least nobody with half a brain.

Really you think we'll go through THREE more coaches before we could ever win again? Lulz.

Old
03-26-2014, 11:06 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

What is wrong with giving Housley a shot?

Old
03-26-2014, 11:48 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
What is wrong with giving Housley a shot?
He doesn't have enough coaching experience at the NHL level, or any level really, for me to be comfortable with that. And while he has done a great job with the D this season on the offensive side...they haven't been all that stellar in their own end. That's probably more due to lack of experience for the corps as a whole, rather than coaching, but I'd still rather see Housley get a few good years in as an assistant before we considering passing the reins to him.

Old
03-27-2014, 05:59 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Trotz was a coach in the IHL before Nashville. He didn't have NHL experience.

Old
03-27-2014, 06:01 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
He doesn't have enough coaching experience at the NHL level, or any level really, for me to be comfortable with that. And while he has done a great job with the D this season on the offensive side...they haven't been all that stellar in their own end. That's probably more due to lack of experience for the corps as a whole, rather than coaching, but I'd still rather see Housley get a few good years in as an assistant before we considering passing the reins to him.
Trotz never coached in the NHL yet people adore him. Patrick Roy says hi with his little coaching experience.

You never know how a guy is going to do until he is behind the bench. Some guys are born coaches while others who you think would be great are horrible at. Some guys have to coach a few teams before they put it all together and win something.

There is no magical answer. There is no sure answer. You put a bunch of guys on the ice coached by someone and hope you've made the right decision from all the data and knowledge you have as a GM. We may keep Trotz. We may replace him. We could keep on sucking either way or we could start winning. Who knows, we may even become a contender but only the future knows this. I'm just happy it seems like a possibility.

Old
03-27-2014, 06:48 AM
Legionnaire11
#2 Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
Really you think we'll go through THREE more coaches before we could ever win again? Lulz.
You didn't know that a coaching change will guarantee that the Preds will be the worst team in the league for years and years, or that there is no way possible that any other coach could ever do any better than Trotz?

Old
03-27-2014, 07:28 AM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 242
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Poile didn't let this rumor get out to see how the players respond. If they get upset and play with fire these last few games it would mean Trotz still has the room and might get to stay, versus if they act apathetic or relieved then its obviously time for a change.

Old
03-27-2014, 07:56 AM
darth5
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
The conspiracy theorist in me wonders if Poile didn't let this rumor get out to see how the players respond. If they get upset and play with fire these last few games it would mean Trotz still has the room and might get to stay, versus if they act apathetic or relieved then its obviously time for a change.
You know, stranger things have happened. Not like this story is implausible, either.
I said weeks ago The Peg would love Trotzy, and I think he could improve that team's record immensely. And I could even see giving Poile some titular role upstairs to let someone else be GM as part of it, if it really comes to that. However you feel about those two, they are a class act in the community and the Preds club owes them a great deal.

Old
03-27-2014, 08:39 AM
Persona5

Losing Trotz will turn out to be a mistake. The grass is almost always not greener on the other side.

Closed Thread