HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Martin Brodeur Appreciation Thread

Old
04-14-2014, 02:56 AM
Rob Nieds work ethic
Swarm it up Devils!

vCash: 500
Just take the backup spot, Marty. Don't leave us.

Rob Nieds work ethic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 03:25 AM
NJDevils7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
This was just shown today during the game telecast. I haven't been able to ever find it on YouTube though. Steve said his footage guy claimed it was from 1999 but he's wrong. Mario was retired during 1999. That was from the 2000-2001 season when Mario came out of retirement. I was there and remember the game. I'm pretty sure that was in overtime too.
Hmmm. Seems to be a missing clip, anyone tape the game that could upload it?

NJDevils7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 04:06 AM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

theres a good chance we'll never see him clown out another teams forward by clearing the puck up around his head on the glass to his defenseman and that makes me very sad.

schoenfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 05:23 AM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 06:58 AM
MadDevil

I've only been a Devils fan since 1999, but Marty was one of the main reasons I became one. Him and Stevens. Something about those two just made me want to follow the Devils, and 15 years later here I am. The duel he had with Belfour in the 2000 Cup Final was, as a new fan, simply incredible to watch. Marty pretty quickly became my favorite hockey player, and still is. It's been so much fun watching him over the years. His unorthodox style, his puckhandling, his laid back attitude, it was all rather unique for a goaltender of his era.

The records speak for themselves. I don't give a damn what people say about playing in the dead puck era, or the trap, or his decline in recent years, or any of that ****. The man was a winner, pure and simple. Without him, who knows where this franchise is. It will be an incredibly sad day when he finally does hang them up. I'm hoping he doesn't go somewhere else, but if he does I wish him nothing but the best.

Thanks for the memories Marty. You are truly one of the best ever.

MadDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 07:13 AM
GoodKnight
QOTSA

Respect from pittsburgh. It will be strange to think of the nhl without Marty. I can't say I'll miss hearing "crosby on a breakaway....great save brodeur!!!!" But I'll definitely miss the greatest goalie in nhl history and all he did for the game.

GoodKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:55 AM
tr83
Booster shots 4 all

I hope this isn't the end.

What I'm going to miss about Marty is his style. I don't think you will see another player of his caliber play the way he does. The stand-up/butterfly style. I'm going to miss how he would casually taunt and dare the opposition to shoot glove side when he shaked his glove like he was waving goodbye. No more kick saves. No more popping to his feet after a spectacular save. No more casual laid-back interviews.

He's, without a doubt, the greatest goalie of all time and I had the fortune to watch him play for 20 years. They didn't invent a rule for Patrick Roy but they had to invent a rule to keep him from doing something he did too well. You know you have to something special.

tr83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:31 AM
indfin

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwing View Post

And only one.

Going to miss you. The part about you watching kids grow up is special. Have a photo of you with my kid, a Mite, on your shoulders on the ice. Brought him today and reminded him his kids - now not that far off - are going to be in awe that he was able to grow up with you.

Sincerely, thank you.
I have a picture of Marty holding my (then) 4-year old son (who turns 20 next month) on the ice at CAA. Pretty crazy when you think of it in those terms

indfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
forceten

Send a message via AIM to forceten
I'd like one more year -- he'll be 43 at the end of next year. By any reasonable standard he has to see he's already at career's end -- with us as backup. I'd like him to get #700 with us. Then transition into management here.

He was screwed out of at least 100 wins -- a couple lockouts, a couple of longer injuries later in his career. He should have or be chasing #800 (how crazy is that?) but #700 should happen and should be here. But 30 games maximum. Mentor Kinkaid. Pass the torch to Schneider. And retire to assistant GM or whatever he wants to do.

He wants a contract with a team where he will play 50-60 games. What team is going to hire a 42 year old goaltender with average statistics for one season? I can understand it's especially hard for an athlete of his calibre to let go and take a back seat, but it's that or retirement; why tarnish the legacy you've worked so hard to build?

forceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:43 AM
njdevilsjds
#CoryDays

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post
I'd like one more year -- he'll be 43 at the end of next year. By any reasonable standard he has to see he's already at career's end -- with us as backup. I'd like him to get #700 with us. Then transition into management here.

He was screwed out of at least 100 wins -- a couple lockouts, a couple of longer injuries later in his career. He should have or be chasing #800 (how crazy is that?) but #700 should happen and should be here. But 30 games maximum. Mentor Kinkaid. Pass the torch to Schneider. And retire to assistant GM or whatever he wants to do.

He wants a contract with a team where he will play 50-60 games. What team is going to hire a 42 year old goaltender with average statistics for one season? I can understand it's especially hard for an athlete of his calibre to let go and take a back seat, but it's that or retirement; why tarnish the legacy you've worked so hard to build?
This infuriates me the most. Stupid lockouts!

njdevilsjds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:50 AM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Yeah Marty missed two seasons because of lockouts but that's also two years of less wear and tear, he's already a marvel of durability having played the sheer # of games he has as it is.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:00 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah Marty missed two seasons because of lockouts but that's also two years of less wear and tear, he's already a marvel of durability having played the sheer # of games he has as it is.

I honestly don't think the cumulative effect/wear and tear of extra games from 1995 or 2005 would have effected Marty. Not one bit. The guy was just a warhorse....70+ games over and over and the only thing that slowed him down was time.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:49 AM
Devils1029

Quote:
Originally Posted by forceten View Post

The Islanders...

Devils1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:15 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
The Islanders...
The idea of having to face that crappy team(that seems to find ways to beat us when they shouldn't) *with* Marty in goal just turns my stomach.

Please let him go out west so we won't see him often.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:26 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

something about yesterday's game bothered me. I know Marty's expressions pretty well at this point, as do we all. he seemed...unhappy I guess is the best word. not 'missed the playoffs' unhappy...although I can't really put my finger in it.

the whole thing seemed a bit awkward almost...I didn't get the feeling he was doing this his way.

either way, I'm not ready for this thread until he's officially moved on. until then, I hope so much he is back with us for at least 1 more year.

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:39 PM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

I'll ignore this for as long as I can

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote