HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Handzus for a winger

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2005, 03:41 PM
hockeyphan25

vCash: 500
I would never trade Handzus in order to sign Bondra, at this point Handzus is just as good offensively and much better defensively even if he was to play at wing. Edmonton and Colorado have nothing good to offer for Handzus.

How about: Justin Williams (I'd love to have him back)
Morozov(available) and Fata (wouldn't play unless he proves himself)
Mark Parrish
Mike Johnson (Pheonix is a common trading partner)
Cammelleri or Frolov (they owe us future considerations)
ZETTERBERG (we would have to add in something else but not too much

Josh Langfeild an unrestricted free agent from Ottawa was in the top ten of points per minute played in 03. I think it would be worth giving this guy a try.

I would also consider trading Desjardins or Stevenson before Handzus.

Old
08-28-2005, 04:11 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25
I would never trade Handzus in order to sign Bondra, at this point Handzus is just as good offensively and much better defensively even if he was to play at wing. Edmonton and Colorado have nothing good to offer for Handzus.

How about: Justin Williams (I'd love to have him back)
Morozov(available) and Fata (wouldn't play unless he proves himself)
Mark Parrish
Mike Johnson (Pheonix is a common trading partner)
Cammelleri or Frolov (they owe us future considerations)
ZETTERBERG (we would have to add in something else but not too much

Josh Langfeild an unrestricted free agent from Ottawa was in the top ten of points per minute played in 03. I think it would be worth giving this guy a try.

I would also consider trading Desjardins or Stevenson before Handzus.
Williams- No, not even close. It would take a lot more then Justin to get Handzus.
Morozov and Fata- Fata=absoultely no interest, Morozov wouldn't fit, no thanks
Mark Parrish-Possibility, comparable value, i'd give the edge to Handzus
Mike Johnson- I'd want more
Camalleri or Frolov- Big difference between the two, LA would laugh if we asked for Frolov. Plus, he just signed a contract that will pay him more then Handzus
Zetterberg- Here, i'd be interested. If we could get him under contract and Detroit could afford Handzus, this is one i'd explore.

I would trade Stevenson if we could get Bondra for 1.5 mil, other then that I wouldn't be interested.

Old
08-28-2005, 06:09 PM
hockeyphan25

To Gags1288

Williams- I thought Carolina wouldn't want to give him up. I'd take him.
Mark Parrish - I think Handzus is a better player but Parrish is a winger and can score goals.
Mike Johnson- He is a very good player I'd take him in a second but if we can get more I'll take it.
Camalleri or Frolov- It was said that the Flyers asked for Frolov in the Roenick trade, so I think if we gave them Handzus plus the considerations we could get him but I'd take Camalleri just as quick as I would Frolov. TSN has him listed has Frolov at $2m this year.

Old
08-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Brad*

I'd probably trade Handzus for Parrish, I wouldn't be overly excited if Handzus were trade for any of the others.

Old
08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd probably trade Handzus for Parrish, I wouldn't be overly excited if Handzus were trade for any of the others.

There's a rumor the isles have had talks with the Canucks about Cooke,dangling Blake.Supposedly Milbury would prefer to move Blake before moving Parrish.

any interest in a Blake for Handzus exchange?Blakes scored 22 and 25 goals the last 2 seasons played,is very good on the pk and makes $1.5m.

Old
08-28-2005, 06:48 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyphan25
To Gags1288

Frolov- It was said that the Flyers asked for Frolov in the Roenick trade, so I think if we gave them Handzus plus the considerations we could get him but I'd take Camalleri just as quick as I would Frolov. TSN has him listed has Frolov at $2m this year.
It'd take more then Handzus plus the owed considerations to pry Frolov out of LA.

Old
08-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
If we were to trade Handzus to one of those teams I'd want Hemsky or I suppose Dvorak+ for Handzus.
*snip*
I'd want someone under the age of 27 who as scored at least 20 goals and isn't a one way player.
If you want to win now Dvo is the better player by far at this point in time and Ales is a one-way player who has never scored 20 (12 was his best).

Old
08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
There's a rumor the isles have had talks with the Canucks about Cooke,dangling Blake.Supposedly Milbury would prefer to move Blake before moving Parrish.

any interest in a Blake for Handzus exchange?Blakes scored 22 and 25 goals the last 2 seasons played,is very good on the pk and makes $1.5m.
I don't think I would make that trade "straight up" but if the Flyers found themselves in a situation where they needed to dump salary I could see it as a possibility. Rather have Parrish though, I think he'd be a great fit.

Old
08-28-2005, 07:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAE2
We will give you D-vo and a pick for Zeus.
No thanks.
I want no part of Dvorak. Sorry. it would be Jan Hlavac all over again.

Old
08-28-2005, 08:57 PM
FlyerFire

On OIL boards

Zues to EDM as early as MONDAY!!! for what??LOL

Old
08-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellionhellion2002
Zues to EDM as early as MONDAY!!! for what??LOL
I am pretty sure they got that from ****** so....

Old
08-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Boozers

Quote:
If we were to trade Handzus to one of those teams I'd want Hemsky or I suppose Dvorak+ for Handzus. From Colorado, I'd love to get my hands on Tanguay, but that would take Handzus + something very significant. I don't think Colorado will has anyone else that would interest me. I'd want someone under the age of 27 who as scored at least 20 goals and isn't a one way player.
Your not going to get Smyth or Hemsky maybe Dvorak, but I doubt it your looking at a prospect and a draft pick or a player with a small salary, as Philly has limited cap room.

I still think Edmonton is maybe the front runner to get Handzeus well see or Philly may still find a way to keep him

Old
08-28-2005, 10:21 PM
mercury

Wouldn't we lose salary by trading Zeus for someone on the Oilers, or stay about the same? The few Oilers who make more $ than he does won't be moved for him.

Old
08-28-2005, 11:08 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers
Your not going to get Smyth or Hemsky maybe Dvorak, but I doubt it your looking at a prospect and a draft pick or a player with a small salary, as Philly has limited cap room.

I still think Edmonton is maybe the front runner to get Handzeus well see or Philly may still find a way to keep him
The thing is that the flyers don't need to trade Handzus. There payroll is at 37.5 mil, but they have a full roster. If the flyers move Handzus, it will likely be for a comparable player who happens to play on the wing. The other possibility would be if the flyers sign Bondra as ****** seems to think they will and then move Handzus. Under those circumstances, I'd expect a wing prospect and a pick. At any rate, Dvorak really wouldn't do it for me. I know Hemsky hasn't put up the numbers, but he's the guy i'd want. If a deal of Handzus + could be worked out for Smyth, I'd investigate that as well.

Old
08-28-2005, 11:37 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury
Wouldn't we lose salary by trading Zeus for someone on the Oilers, or stay about the same? The few Oilers who make more $ than he does won't be moved for him.
Here is a list of Edmonton's roster for '05/'06 season with payroll. The only player missing is a still unsigned Ryan Smyth.

Edmonton Oilers Player Contract Notes 2005-2006 Salary (US)

Chris Pronger Re-signed RFA acquired in trade with St. Louis $6.25 million
Michael Peca Acquired in trade with NY Islanders $3.99 million
Jason Smith $1.976 million
Steve Staios $1.615 million
Radek Dvorak $1.596 million
Ty Conklin $1.14 million
Ethan Moreau $1.102 million
Georges Laraque $1.083 million
Shawn Horcoff Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $1 million
Ales Hemsky Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $901,740
Igor Ulanov Re-signed UFA (Edmonton) $900,000
Cory Cross $874,000
Jussi Markkanen Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $850,000
Raffi Torres Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $825,000
Alexei Semenov $760,000
Marty Reasoner Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $650,000
Fernando Pisani $611,800
Marc-Andre Bergeron $608,000
Todd Harvey $528,200
Jarrett Stoll Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $501,600
Jani Rita Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $450,000
Brad Winchester Re-signed RFA (Edmonton) $450,000

22 Players $28,662,340

As you can, the Oiler's have many players who might be of interest for a team looking to lose some payroll to get under the cap, or give them some more wiggle room for possible moves later on in the season. Recent deals show KLowe is willing to add picks and higher-end prospects to the list of trade bait as well.

Old
08-29-2005, 01:31 AM
mikedifr

Oh wait, wait, Pittsburgh now has a problem at center, lets trade Handzus for a pair of gloves, one sock, a left skate and half of a helmet.

Here is one for you all .................................................. .................................................. ..................................How about lets not trade Handzus and win a cup!!!!!!!!!!

Old
08-29-2005, 11:25 AM
stanley

Quote:
Williams- No, not even close. It would take a lot more then Justin to get Handzus.
If I were a wagering man, I'd guess it was the other way around.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:05 PM
stanley

I'm a little concerned that they don't have enough money coming off the books next summer to resign Johnsson, Gagne, and Pitkanen. Having Handzus play out the year and walk away as an unrestricted free agent seems like a loss, but they gain quite a bit of cap space. It's not as though he doesn't fit well or isn't liked on this club. It might be their best option. We've discussed the idea that the Flyers might entertain offers for a young, cheap winger, but that most likely would make them a poorer team this season. Maybe waiting to see how the team fares with the young guys would be an even better option.

I really hope they have enough in the kitty to resign those three next summer (although Pitkanen still won't have arbitration eligibility I believe).

------------------------------------

For what it's worth, I don't believe Justin Williams matches Handzus at this point in career, but his relatively cheap price and level of production make him a nice asset, and therefore, by my way of thinking, a tough player to pry away. The new financial landscape of the NHL dictates that our thinking values financial flexibility as an asset, not simply players, prospects, or picks.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Brad*

Handzus has another year on his contract after this season. If the Flyers felt that they needed to remove his contract, they'd be best suited to trade Handzus for another cheap, young center next summer.

I'm not sure what they're going to do with Gagne and Johnsson next season. They do have some salary coming off the books with Desjardins, Brashear, and Kapanen so that will help. I think the amount of money that Johnsson and Gagne command will depend on how well they play this season. If Forsberg plays 70 games with Gagne, Simon will be rolling in the dough.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
If I were a wagering man, I'd guess it was the other way around.
I know we all love Williams and the way he plays, but he hasn't proven he's capable of even being a quality top 6 forward. Thus far, he has been unable to top 17 goals or 40 points. He is an extremely hard worker and a very good intangibles guy, but does he have the hands to be a 25-30 goal guy? At this point, I don't think so.

In a deal in which the flyers don't need to drop salary and salary certainly isn't a concern for Carolina, I'm not sure how much of a factor that would be. The thing is that neither team would likely be interested in the deal. While Handzus is a large upgrade at this point (imo), they know they're not going to compete for a few years and probably prefer the younger player. The flyers would be getting worse in a deal like this and don't need to get younger. So looking back at it, it seems like a very bad deal for both parties involved.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:55 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
I know we all love Williams and the way he plays, but he hasn't proven he's capable of even being a quality top 6 forward. Thus far, he has been unable to top 17 goals or 40 points. He is an extremely hard worker and a very good intangibles guy, but does he have the hands to be a 25-30 goal guy? At this point, I don't think so.

In a deal in which the flyers don't need to drop salary and salary certainly isn't a concern for Carolina, I'm not sure how much of a factor that would be. The thing is that neither team would likely be interested in the deal. While Handzus is a large upgrade at this point (imo), they know they're not going to compete for a few years and probably prefer the younger player. The flyers would be getting worse in a deal like this and don't need to get younger. So looking back at it, it seems like a very bad deal for both parties involved.
I would never suggest we trade Handzus for Williams one for one. I dont want to trade Handzus at all. I do disagree however in that I think Williams is a more than capable top 6 winger. He had 44 points last year which ended up being 2nd on the canes. He played a lot on the 3rd line in Philly with Primeau or even on the 4th line. If given the ice time, and he stays healthy he can esily put up 20-40 in my opinion. He is more of an assist man and needs a good goal scorer on his line.

Old
08-29-2005, 12:59 PM
stanley

Quote:
For this year, they'd be fine and still be able to add a pro-rated salary at the deadline. I'm sure we'd all agree that we've discussed that ad nauseum around here. The problem comes in next summer. Among others, he has to resign Pitkanen, Gagne, and Johnsson, and they're all going to command raises, particularly the last two. Clarke can walk away from Desjardins, Brashear, and Therien, although he's going to have to fill their positions, and that's going to cost money.

I think that if Rutherford called Clarke today offering Williams and his $1.2M for Handzus, Clarke might propose to the man. I certainly would, and while I think that's illegial in Pennsylvania and at least offensive enough to give Ricky Santorum fits, it's certainly illegial in North Carolina. For the long-term financial health of the organization, having cheap players that can contribute at the NHL level, which Williams certainly can, is an invaluable asset. I love Handzus like a man can love another man and still go to Rick Santorum's church on Sunday (should I get banned for that?), although I'm not above considering him or most anybody else for a trade if it helps the organization financially.

The other option is that they can allow Handzus to play out his current contract and walk away next summer. The trade would be Handzus for financial flexibility. For this season, that would give them a player that is a known quantity and is probably going to be better than anything they'd get in return. It would also give them money to resign Pitkanen, Gagne, and Johnsson, and resign or find replacements for Desjardins and Brashear.

Financial flexibility is a commodity. At least that's the way I'd consider running the ship were I GM. Regardless of how it happens, some hard decisions are going to have to be made as long as the league has a salary cap. Right?

Old
08-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

FYI: As far as Parrish is concerned - He did not, as originally reported, sign his qualifier. He still does not have a contract. So, you can assume at this point that he is working on a longterm deal. If his intent was to test UFA next summer (which, incidently, is what I would have predicted) he would have signed his QO. I'm guessing he'll get a 2 - 3 year deal, in the range of 2.5 million a year.

Either way, I don't think a major deal between the Isles and Flyers was ever a real possibility.

Old
08-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Fan-of-#9

Not interested in Ales Kotalik or JP Dumont? How about Kotalik + 4th round pick?

Kotalik's salary is minimal and he is pretty young and talented. Unfortunately for him there is no use for him on our squad.

Or maybe a bigger deal?

TO PHILLY:

JP Dumont/Ales Kotalik/Maxim Afinogenov
Jay Mckee/Henrik Tallinder
2nd round pick

TO BUFFALO:

Michal Handzus
Kim Johnsson
3rd round pick

Old
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
MojoJojo

#9,that is just a brutal trade. Zeus is the best forward of the bunch and Johnson is the best defenseman. If we were trying to dump salary its passable, but we arent, so it isnt.

Closed Thread