HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gordie Howe almost a NYR ?

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2005, 04:45 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Gordie Howe almost a NYR ?

Basically I brought the new edition of the Beckett Hockey book at a card show earlier in Westchester. In the back is an article about G.Howe almost being a NYR.

Since I cant copy and paste it and its a bit long I will summarzie it.

Howe could have been a NYR from the get go. In 1943 a 15 year old Howe attended his first NHL camp, in Winnioeg,Man. with the NYR's. There was no draft then to determine where a player would go or play. So scouts went across canada looking for the next best star. Gordie howe says" I was there just 4 days and im wondering if I would have signed how my life and career would have turned out"

G.H -" MY first day in training camp I watched the guy besides me get dressed to see where everything went",

G.H - " Lester Patrick spoke to me 4 times and at the start of camp he said " Whats your name son? " he then wrote the name and pinned on the back of the sweater.

G.H-" the first day I hit a NYR vet anmed Grant Warwick with a pretty good body check and MR.Patrick called me over and asked, Whats your name son, two other times when i did something on the ice, called me over agin and asked what your name son and I politley replied its on the back of my shirt sir.

After showing interest and knowing him by name Patrick made a fatal decision not to sign Howe to a NYR contract. A dejected Howe went hometo saskatoon and the following Fall was invited to Wings camp in Windsor, ONT. The Det brass quickly recognized his potential.
He was asigned to Detroit Ontario Hockey Association junior club in Ontario but wasnt allowed to play because Saskatchewanass wouldnt permit him a transfer.

Howe turned pro in 1945 and made the Wings the next season.

1.787 games played 801 goalsand 1,850 points during a 26 season career playing all but the last in Det.

In 1949 the Wings won the first of four Stanley Cups they would securee with Howe on the roster taking a 7 game series from , you guessed it the NYR's. After that the NYR's wouldnt win another Stanley Cup series until 70-71, Howes farwell season in Detroit.

Fans of the Broadway Blueshirts can only dream about how things might have been different had Patrick signed Howe to the NYR's, and Detroit fans can only shudderat the thought of how easily Howe could have been a star on Broadway.

Written by Bob Duff who is a hockey historian and a veteran columnist for the Windsor Star.

this article came out of the Sept 2005 Hockey Beckett Book.

Just figured this would be good for a read, I also basically summarized the whole thing just leaving out some useless lines of info.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:48 PM
free0717

vCash: 500
Thats a great story, now tell me the story of how Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard, and Stan Mikita were almost Rangers.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
When I saw the title of this thread I thought maybe Sather tried to sign him.

08-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717
Thats a great story, now tell me the story of how Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard, and Stan Mikita were almost Rangers.
The story about Gordie Howe is true--I've known about it for years, there have been several articles (including one in the old Blueshirt Bulletin) relating the story over the years. I don't know why you're doubting it.

Old
08-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Wouldn't put it past him!

Old
08-20-2005, 05:16 PM
CrookedRain

this story is 100% true.

Old
08-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Islanders4Life*

Quote:
haha thats what I thought

I am surprised Howe hasnt suited up with a minor league team during the 2000's he suited up for 1 shift of a game in the 90's to say he played professionaly in the 40's 50's 60's 70's 80's and 90's...

Old
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
nyr34

Send a message via AIM to nyr34
Quote:
Here you go straight from "The Rangers: Brian McFarlane's Original Six", by Brian McFarlane

Quote:
To set the record straight, Howe was invited to the Rangers camp in 1942 and stayed about a week before going back to Saskatchewan -- primarily because of homesickness. The next year, Jack Adams, manager of the Detroit Red Wings, had Howe in his camp, and was sure to have a few more Saskatchewan boys around to keep Howe company. Bobby Hull suited up for the Rangers in 1959 when the Blueshirts went on a tour of Europe with the Boston Bruins. Hull popped in 14 goals for the Rangers during the 23-game tour.

Old
08-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
He'd still be better than a bunch of players in the NHL today...

Old
08-20-2005, 05:40 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Whats so funny, Hull played 23 games as a NYR and the Howe story is very true, so what are you laughing about ?

Old
08-20-2005, 05:59 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Sather traded our next 2 first and ALMO for him but Howe failed the medical exam. The reason he failed was the doc said he had a heart something most Rangers have been missing

Old
08-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Dropkick Alex

Quote:
So did I

Old
08-20-2005, 06:59 PM
pld459666

what's funny is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Aim 4588
Whats so funny, Hull played 23 games as a NYR and the Howe story is very true, so what are you laughing about ?

alot of posters at HF don't remember Craig MacTavish as a Bruin let alone something that happened 50 years ago.

While I was not born when the Howe story originated, I do know about the regional aspects of securing players when there was only 6 teams.

I also didn't know about the Hull thing either, but wouldn't doubt it out of hand either.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:24 PM
eco's bones

I'm sorry Hull never played for the Rangers. The only NHL teams Hull played for were
Chicago and-- Winnipeg and Hartford the year the WHA teams joined the league.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Wetcoaster

I posted this about 2 years ago.
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.p...ick#post554925

Worst all-time - not even close.

It is failing to sign a player by the Rangers' GM Lester Patrick in 1943. I rank this as the greatest blunder of all time - maybe in any sport. The only other one which comes close is the sale of Babe Ruth to the NY Yankees by the Red Sox.

The New York Rangers were holding their pre-season camp in Winnipeg that year and they had invited a prairie boy to come to their camp. After watching him throughout camp Patrick decided he was too scrawny and deemed him injury prone and not worth signing. He sent him back home which may have been just as well because the kid was homesick and had not been away from his rural Saskatchewan home for any length of time. He would play that year for the Saskatoon Lions of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League.

The following year he tried out with the Detroit Red Wings and was signed. He was later assigned to one of their minor league affiliates in Omaha, Nebraska. In 1946-47 he made the big club and for 32 years Mr. Hockey, Gordie Howe would prove he not only belonged in professional hockey but would be an elite player and IMHO the greatest of all-time (apologies to Orr and Gretzky). After retiring for two years, he returned to play in the WHA. He would play one more season (1980-81) in the NHL for the Hartford Whalers at the age of 51. He would play in all 80 games and score 15 goals, 26 assists for 41 points and being Gordie he added 42 PIM for good measure.

Not too bad for a scrawny, injury prone kid. If Lester Patrick had signed him, think of what NY Ranger history might have been.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:28 PM
shoothepuck

It was nice to read about a 15 year old attending an NHL camp. Maybe some of the young Ranger prospects could get some motivation out of a story like this and play harder, but then again we are talking about Gordie Howe here, and Sather is far from signing the likes of him.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr34
Here you go straight from "The Rangers: Brian McFarlane's Original Six", by Brian McFarlane
And that is where Hull (and Mikita) who was also along on that Eurpean tour learned about curved stcik blades - from Andy Bathgate. Mikita would take the curve to new heights (angles?? bends???).
http://www.pgoha.com/curved_blade.htm

Old
08-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I'm sorry Hull never played for the Rangers. The only NHL teams Hull played for were
Chicago and-- Winnipeg and Hartford the year the WHA teams joined the league.
It was 23 exhibition games on a European tour with the Rangers. Mikita was along as well.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:49 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
It was 23 exhibition games on a European tour with the Rangers. Mikita was along as well.
Now that might be right. Rings a bell anyway.

Old
08-21-2005, 10:49 AM
DarthSather99

So, was Gordie Howe kinda like the curse of the Bambino.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:50 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
[QUOTE=eco's bones]Now that might be right. [QUOTE]
Its a fact, it says so in the link

"Prince George OldTimers Hockey Association"

For many years the blades on sticks were completely straight, but New York Rangers star Andy Bathgate began experimenting with a curve in the late 1950s. During a European tour of Ranger and Blackhawk players, Bathgate showed his innovation to Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita, and they began playing with one themselves. And it wasn't long before most NHL players had done the same thing.

Old
08-21-2005, 03:21 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Bobby Hull technically *was* a Ranger, mind you he was well passed his prime at the time...

Hull retired following the 1979-80 season, his first back in the NHL since he had signed with the WHA's Winnipeg Jets. Hull's return to the NHL had not been what he'd hoped as he suffered through a horrible campaign where the ravages of time had clearly started to catch up to him. He had played just four games the season before due to injury, and was hoping for a clean slate and wanted to be a factor for the Jets, who he had been the franchise player for the previous eight seasons in their NHL debut. Again, injuries slowed Hull, and after just 18 games with the Jets Winnipeg traded their marquee player to Harford for future considerations. Hull finished out the campaign playing on a line with Gordie Howe then hung up his skates that spring.

After a year away from the game, Hull felt his health was back where it needed to be and began to explore the possiblity of an NHL comeback. The 43 year-old had a hard time finding people willing to give him a chance but finally he was given a chance by the New York Rangers.

The Rangers were playing a mini-tournament before the season began in Sweden. The tourny, known as the Dagen Nyheter Cup Challenge was a seven day event involving Swedish club teams that the Rangers were attending to represent the NHL on a good will tour. Hull was signed to an emergency contract and was effectively auditioning for a job with the Blueshirts.

Hull played four games as a Ranger and scored a goal and an assist in the tournament. For at least the first game, Hull was centred by an old WHA rival in Mike Rogers. At the end of the tourny, Hull was ulimately not offered a contract and his brief time with the Rangers faded in obscurity.

But there was a time, even if it was just four games, where Bobby Hull wore the red white and blue of the Rangers and even scored a goal for them.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...tsawards&list=

Old
08-22-2005, 11:19 AM
Edge

This is the sad story of the Rangers.

The Rangers being a circus is nothing new, in fact for 80% of their history it's the only way they've been run.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Come on! This is Lester Patrick we're talking about here. A true Hockey God and a damn good goalie to boot.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Edge

The Rangers history is riddled with could have's and should have's and almosts.

It seems like both stanley cup wins in the last 65 years came as a result of someone selling their soul only to be punished with years of futility.

Closed Thread