HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sid wins the Art Ross!

Old
04-14-2014, 08:36 AM
Til the End of Time

vCash: 500
Sid wins the Art Ross!

why is there no thread about this? congrats to sid for this accomplishment. sad it is only his second.

it really is quite amazing that he was able to come back and still be the best player in the game after his career was in jeopardy.

people should enjoy this because sid's art ross/hart trophy are going to be the only things worth remembering from this season.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Shady Machine

+1 for Sid's legacy.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:44 AM
87and71
Wheat, not Chaff!!!!

As long as the current "leadership" structure is intact, Sid winning awards is about the only thing we have going for us.

I think a healthy lineup and Sid would have cakewalked to 120. PP really sucked down the strech and he played such a long stretch without any talent on the RW.

87and71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:46 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
why is there no thread about this? congrats to sid for this accomplishment. sad it is only his second.

it really is quite amazing that he was able to come back and still be the best player in the game after his career was in jeopardy.

people should enjoy this because sid's art ross/hart trophy are going to be the only things worth remembering from this season.
I think its being talked about very little because we knew he was winning it about 2 months ago

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Richard

Honestly I feel that this season was literally the worst I've ever seen Crosby play. I guess it bodes well for him being effective in his early 30's because he seemed on cruise control 90% of the year.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 08:48 AM
penguins2946*

Crosby got his 89th point in his 66th game I believe. That's why no one is making a big deal out of it, he has had it locked up for a month.

penguins2946* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
I was really worried that Getzlaf would have had the 20 point game last night...

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:14 AM
AquaticBirdman

As happy as I am about Sid winning, this was probably the least exciting season in terms of the scoring race in recent memory. Actually, aside from Sid hitting 100 pts and Ovie hitting 50 goals, this season offensively in general was a huge dud.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Waffle Fries

Just because we knew he was going to win doesn't mean we can't be excited about it. It really is okay to be happy about something regarding this team.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:17 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
+1 for Sid's legacy.
There's no way he doesn't take home the Lindsay (again), so it'll be +2 for sure. Should be +3 but you never know what those Hart voters are thinking.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:18 AM
OilerPensfan94
Connor McGretzky

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vokouna Maattata View Post
Crosby got his 89th point in his 66th game I believe. That's why no one is making a big deal out of it, he has had it locked up for a month.
Hehe. Crosby pummelled everyone pretty good .

Congrats Sid .

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Let's hope the voters don't **** up again and he gets the Hart along with the Lindsey.

Ragamuffin Gunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:31 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Just because we knew he was going to win doesn't mean we can't be excited about it. It really is okay to be happy about something regarding this team.
I wasn't saying we shouldn't be happy about it. But we pretty much already discussed him winning this in the big thread we had a month ago. Not much left to say about it.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post

I agree with the sentiments generally.

However I wouldn't get my expectations up regarding the Hart. I have this suspicion that they will screw him out of it again. I just don't think that the sport writers like him and/or some think that they are being cool voting for someone other than him.

As for this season, honestly we accomplished what we needed to signing our core long term over the past couple of years. We knew, especially when coupled with the cap going down, that as a result this would be a crunch year and that depth was going to suffer. We can and hopefully will address that this off season.

My regret is not that we will not win a cup. My only regrets are how frustrating it is to see this team consistently get out coached in the playoffs. Losing is no sin, feeling like your team is, and should be, being laughed at is another.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:46 AM
Get To Our Game

No, I'm pretty sure Crosby will win the Hart and will win it in a landslide. I'd be absolutely stunned if somebody else even comes close.

Get To Our Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:15 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
As happy as I am about Sid winning, this was probably the least exciting season in terms of the scoring race in recent memory. Actually, aside from Sid hitting 100 pts and Ovie hitting 50 goals, this season offensively in general was a huge dud.
The only thing I would say is that it seemed like there were a lot more guys getting over 20 goals this year. I'd have to look into it but it seemed that way. Of course scoring in general was weak as usual so maybe I'm in correct.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:59 AM
flaneur

Congrats to Sid! He really should get both the Hart and Lindsey on top of the Art Ross. As much as voters will try to think of ways to deny him the Hart, I would be shocked if he doesn't win it by a large margin this year.

(one of my least favourite arguments from people who don't think he should win the Hart is that the pens have shown they can win without him. this is ridiculous because these awards are based on the current season's achievements and not on seasons past.)

flaneur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBirdman View Post
That's what happens when the league decides it prefers to go back to the clutch and grab era and ignore 90% of infractions.

In any case, I was relieved the second Sid recorded his 100th point. One more Art Ross to add to his trophy case, and the only player with 100 points this season.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 12:25 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Truthfully 80% of people don't give two ***** about individual awards. They mean nothing. I don't care if Crosby ends up w/ 100 awards or 0. Only one I care about is the Stanley Cup. He's edged his name on there once. I want to see one more time. Then I can be happy with his career.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:04 PM
MeticulouslyDishevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
Let's hope the voters don't **** up again and he gets the Hart along with the Lindsey.
Sportsnet magazine just dropped through my mail slot (I don't buy it, it comes with my cable package) and the cover story is about how Sid isn't the best player in the world. The article uses stats to show that Toews is.

I don't get caught up in arguments about who is the best player, and I'm not saying that Toews isn't up there, but every year there seems to be some sort of effort to diminish Sid's accomplishments. Last year they parsed words (emphasis on who is the most important player "to his team") to deny him the Hart. Because being a very good player on a horrible team is apparently more worthy of an award. It's all subjective, but it still makes me mad. I guess some people got sick of all the praise he got at the start of his career and now the pendulum is swinging to the opposite end.

MeticulouslyDishevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:07 PM
madinsomniac

Yeah he had this wrapped up for months... On a lesser note, Id love to see him play with a top talent winger for a full season... and I really hope they axe the obstruction at least in half

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:09 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 126
Congrats Sid.

Here's to Art Ross #3 next year

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:10 PM
LetangInTheSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeticulouslyDishevel View Post
Sportsnet magazine just dropped through my mail slot (I don't buy it, it comes with my cable package) and the cover story is about how Sid isn't the best player in the world. The article uses stats to show that Toews is.

I don't get caught up in arguments about who is the best player, and I'm not saying that Toews isn't up there, but every year there seems to be some sort of effort to diminish Sid's accomplishments. Last year they parsed words (emphasis on who is the most important player "to his team") to deny him the Hart. Because being a very good player on a horrible team is apparently more worthy of an award. It's all subjective, but it still makes me mad. I guess some people got sick of all the praise he got at the start of his career and now the pendulum is swinging to the opposite end.
It's borderline comical the way sports writers try to tear him down. The writers have already made an absolute mockery of the Norris (Subban is one of my favorite players but he didn't earn that award last season). If the Hart goes to anybody other than Sid this season, I literally won't bother following who wins it in the future. There should be absolutely no debate about it this season.

LetangInTheSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:13 PM
canadianguy77

Congrats Sid. Nice to see something go his way.

canadianguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 02:26 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Sad to think about the fact he would likely have around two or three more of these if it weren't for the concussion problems and the broken jaw. Now I'll just wait for the voters to somehow not name him the MVP despite him winning the scoring title by a laughable margin.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote