HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pelle Lindbergh -- 20 years later

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2005, 11:34 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Pelle Lindbergh -- 20 years later

With the 20-year anniversary of Pelle Lindbergh's death approaching this November, how would you choose to remember him if you had the authority to do so? Would you have an on-ice presentation/feature, would you not even acknowledge it?

Old
08-18-2005, 11:35 AM
Brad*

vCash: 500
On ice ceremony, retire #31.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
With the 20-year anniversary of Pelle Lindbergh's death approaching this November, how would you choose to remember him if you had the authority to do so? Would you have an on-ice presentation/feature, would you not even acknowledge it?
A zombification. Zombie Pelle can play one more game in goal for the Flyers and follow the game by beating the crap out of that other guy using his name.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:53 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
On ice ceremony, retire #31.
Ceremony, not retiring the number, more deserving players which is not a knock against him at all.

Old
08-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
Ceremony, not retiring the number, more deserving players which is not a knock against him at all.
It's out of respect. No one will ever wear his number again anyway - and most players aren't killed in their prime when they're playing for the team.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
It's out of respect. No one will ever wear his number again anyway - and most players aren't killed in their prime when they're playing for the team.
Agreed.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:12 PM
Flyers26

The Flyers won't have any special memorial or anything like that, to commerate the date.
Us as fans, remember him in ways like this, a thread on a site, or kicking back a few beers amongst friends talking about what could have been.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Pelle31

Eventhough I can't see them retiring his number, making sure no one else ever wears the number again would be tribute enough. Maybe a video montage showing hi-lites of his short career before a game on or near the anniversary of his death. As a big Pelle fan, I always wonder if he would have led the Flyers to the cup in the late 80's.

Old
08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
stanley

Based on the circumstances that caused his death, I can't see the Flyers ever ceremoniously retiring his number. A montage of his career? Definitely. Keeping his sweater on the unavailable list? You bet. Ceremony such as a number retirement for a great guy and loved personality who did a really, really stupid thing that caused his own death and that of another person? Doubtful. It would be viewed as many as condonation, and would ultimately lead to dragging his memory through the mud in the subsequent debate. The Flyers don't need that type of publicity and Pelle Lindbergh's memory doesn't need it.

In general, I don't think the organization would go too far for the same reasons that our mothers always told us to leave scabs alone - opening them hurts. I think a memorial would be perfectly acceptable.

Old
08-21-2005, 01:49 AM
lushj

Number 31

I wear his # in my street hockey and roller hockey leagues as a goalie. I'm not the only one either, I ran into a Toronto native who, when he was an amateur goalie, wore 31 for Pelle also.

That's probably the best way regular players (non-NHL, of course) can show respect.

Old
08-21-2005, 09:37 AM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyp
A zombification. Zombie Pelle can play one more game in goal for the Flyers and follow the game by beating the crap out of that other guy using his name.
I don't follow

Old
08-22-2005, 09:04 AM
AG9NK35DT8*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
The Flyers won't have any special memorial or anything like that, to commerate the date.
Us as fans, remember him in ways like this, a thread on a site, or kicking back a few beers amongst friends talking about what could have been.
I think im going to cry

Closed Thread