HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

Old
04-15-2014, 09:01 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Sorry but a guy who consistently scores over 20 a year over his career does not have scoring issues. Regardless of how it happens it does. He consistently puts the puck in the net, that's all that matters. Id' love for them to be highlight reel goals but he's a dirty type of player that plays in a deadly place on the ice and gets results. Some guys are snipers, Smith, some guys have the big shot, Weber and some guys play clean up, Hornqvist. They all have value.
I wondered when we were ever going to agree on something again

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:04 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I wondered when we were ever going to agree on something again
I wondered too. Glad we finally found some common ground.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 10:05 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yes. We need a player like him.

What frustrates people is that he has no creativity or stick handling skills. He relies on everyone else to create chances for him. Which sucks cause none of our forwards can really create chances consitistnely

Our defense is another story. They carried our offense
The same can be said for our "goal scorers". As a Hornqvist fan I don't enjoy watching him enter the zone with the pick but I do enjoy watching him in the crease and surrounding areas. He has been a vital part of this team the last few years, like it or not. Wilson/Smith can take it in the zone but they aren't putting away the dirty goals.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 10:10 PM
Armourboy

Frankly Horns is perfect for this team. Why? When you have defensemen that shoot as well and as much as ours do, you need that guy that stands in there and does the dirty work.

One things is for sure though its a good thing he is good at that, cause dude has some serious issues handling the puck.

Armourboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 10:44 PM
dulzhok

Hornvqvist is fine.

But should not be counted on to consistently produce offense. Neither should Smith. Neither have the skill level to put up consistently good numbers (60+ points) in the NHL.

They both had fine seasons, but those are complementary type players, not go-to players on a contender.

Not sure who Poile is referring to ("4 or 5 guys") who should have put up more goals. Only realistic one should be Wilson-- who still lacks maturity. Staalberg... reaching... there's a reason he couldn't crack the Blackhawk's fourth line when it mattered most.

Poile is delusional if he thinks the talent is there.

And how many times as did he say "Give me a healthy Rinne"? He's putting most of our playoff hopes in Pekka as usual. Here's three things he's forgetting 1) Pekka has only been an elite goal for 2 years-- which is not all that uncommon of a peak for many goalies, 2) Mitch Korn is likely gone and is the best goalie coach in the NHL-- he'd be a major to key to getting Pekka back to a high level of play 3) A new "more wide open" system will expose our goalies more. 4) And oh yea, we still have bottom 3 forward talent in the NHL and aren't going to sniff being a playoff threat with that.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 10:50 PM
Nitrous Mafia

We're going to miss Trotz. How many expansion teams have gone on to win the cup after a coaching change? Face it, we're a small market team that isn't going to make it to the promised land. Show me a team that has? The next 10 years are going to be a barren wasteland.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Adz
Eudora Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
yes, trotz had a presser of his own, it's a tear jerker.....

adz just only wants to see him once a year, that's all..... it's too emotional and weird. edit...... at least that's how I feel, I don't want to speak for her...

wow... can hear the tears in poiles voice
Kind of late in my response but yeah, that was what I meant. What he has earned and what I want may be two different things, but I can still want it, right?

I will admit that after the Trotz press conference the emotions kind of got to me. I haven't been able to watch or listen to the Poile presser. Reading comments on the boards is about all I can handle.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:05 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
We're going to miss Trotz. How many expansion teams have gone on to win the cup after a coaching change? Face it, we're a small market team that isn't going to make it to the promised land. Show me a team that has? The next 10 years are going to be a barren wasteland.
The expansion excuse is over. There are only a handful of players who were drafted before 1998 who are still relevant.

ANA, FLO, TBL all made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They all experienced a dip after that, but that's not expansions fault.

I'm not so upset at losing Trotz, though he has overachieved most of his time in Nashville. I'm just upset we are not addressing the root of our problem, and some (Poile included) think this is going change things.

Poile is naive, passive, uncreative, and will never build an elite team.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:01 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Hornvqvist is fine.

But should not be counted on to consistently produce offense. Neither should Smith. Neither have the skill level to put up consistently good numbers (60+ points) in the NHL.

They both had fine seasons, but those are complementary type players, not go-to players on a contender.

Not sure who Poile is referring to ("4 or 5 guys") who should have put up more goals. Only realistic one should be Wilson-- who still lacks maturity. Staalberg... reaching... there's a reason he couldn't crack the Blackhawk's fourth line when it mattered most.

Poile is delusional if he thinks the talent is there.

And how many times as did he say "Give me a healthy Rinne"? He's putting most of our playoff hopes in Pekka as usual. Here's three things he's forgetting 1) Pekka has only been an elite goal for 2 years-- which is not all that uncommon of a peak for many goalies, 2) Mitch Korn is likely gone and is the best goalie coach in the NHL-- he'd be a major to key to getting Pekka back to a high level of play 3) A new "more wide open" system will expose our goalies more. 4) And oh yea, we still have bottom 3 forward talent in the NHL and aren't going to sniff being a playoff threat with that.
1. Wilson

2. Hornqvist. He really packed on the stats at the end. 40 games without an even strength goal.

3. Bourque.. December 23 to March 18 without a goal.

4. Stalberg

Whether it's right or not they expected a lot more out of Stalberg and Wilson.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 07:04 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
The expansion excuse is over. There are only a handful of players who were drafted before 1998 who are still relevant.

ANA, FLO, TBL all made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. They all experienced a dip after that, but that's not expansions fault.

I'm not so upset at losing Trotz, though he has overachieved most of his time in Nashville. I'm just upset we are not addressing the root of our problem, and some (Poile included) think this is going change things.

Poile is naive, passive, uncreative, and will never build an elite team.
Mostly if not entirely true.

04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brah View Post
I can think of two right away - Tampa and Anaheim.

How many expansion teams won a cup with thier original coach - none.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:01 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I'm starting to get some Green Day in my brain for some reason.

"Wake me up when September ends."

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:24 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhouk View Post
Definition of "Does well"?

Makes the playoffs in his first season?

Makes it to the conference finals? The Cup finals?

Heaven forbid, win the Stanley Cup?
"Does well" in this context means "his hypothetical new team finishes ahead of the Preds."

Quote:

That's been a staple of my world for years and years and years.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Preds33

Well Winnipeg is out for him. They just gave Maurice a 4 year deal.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:04 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Well Winnipeg is out for him. They just gave Maurice a 4 year deal.
Shows you what I know. Maybe he does have a chance at Toronto

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:23 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

Oh dear GOD NO.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
Pretty calm thus far in coaches being fired. Its not surprising the Jets have extended Paul Maurice. I still think Trotz will end up in Canada.

Vancouver- Torts you can see them replacing him
Toronto - Im amazed they have not let Carlyle go yet.
Ott - Paul Maclean has ran his course there

The best for for Trotz now absent the Jets may well be the Sens.

If it does fall that way You add Torts, Carlyle, Maclean to Lovilette to the Preds short list. With Carlyle and Maclean to logical choices given the make-up of the roster currently under contract. Torts or Lov would be a disaster here. There are a number of asst coaches out there that may get a look by DP as well but Mr Comfort zone is not likely to go that route.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:55 AM
Nothing Is New

I don't know if Trotz fits in Toronto. I could see him in a smaller market area where the fan base is supportive -regardless of the style of hockey played (ahem). That could be Ottawa. Could Edmonton be an option or are there too many offensive divas there?

Nothing Is New is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:12 AM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
I don't know if Trotz fits in Toronto. I could see him in a smaller market area where the fan base is supportive -regardless of the style of hockey played (ahem). That could be Ottawa. Could Edmonton be an option or are there too many offensive divas there?
I cant imagine, if the divas are all averse to playing defensively responsible hockey, that Trotz would want to fight that battle.

I could see him holding off to see if Pittsburgh is going to fire Bylsma... assuming he and Shero have a good realtionship

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:15 AM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I cant imagine, if the divas are all averse to playing defensively responsible hockey, that Trotz would want to fight that battle.

I could see him holding off to see if Pittsburgh is going to fire Bylsma... assuming he and Shero have a good realtionship
hat is a very interesting thing in Pittsburgh. If they do not win it all its probably gonna cost the coach his job. And Shero would consider Trotz for sure. But Trotz head may explode dealing with that set of forwards.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:17 AM
PFL615

Toronto just doesn't seem like Trotz style.
He was asked somewhere if he could handle a bigger media market that has more than 1 traveling media member and the pressure of a bigger market. His response was something to the effect of 10 years ago no. Today i think so i have experienced it all in the league now. Mentioned Canucks series.

Old
04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
Quote:

Hey now September 9th should be the release date for NHL'15 can't wait to play NHL on my PS 4.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Trotz did fine with offensive players that were already established like Arnott, Dumont, Kariya, Sullivan, etc.

Just don't ask him to develop young offensive talent.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwtGlads2013 View Post
Hey now September 9th should be the release date for NHL'15 can't wait to play NHL on my PS 4.
I can't wait either. NHL14 for my PS3 randomly stopped working yesterday. I was pissed..

Old
04-16-2014, 11:26 AM
NSHPreds1835
Glads/Preds

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
I can't wait either. NHL14 for my PS3 randomly stopped working yesterday. I was pissed..
I skipped on 14 because I wasn't sure if i'd get to play my PS 3 when I got a PS 4 and I haven't been able to because I don't have a tv stand big enough. Looking forward to getting back into EASHL.

NSHPreds1835 is offline   Reply With Quote