HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

Old
04-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Nitrous Mafia

vCash: 500
It's a sad day.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 09:53 PM
KingPuckChoo
Go kinGs Go !

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montross View Post
This statement is 99% wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFL615 View Post
I agree with the first bold on many years. He had a few years where he didn't do that and got blown out early in the playoffs.

Never tried anything aggressive at the deadline. Do you even follow the Preds?
you guys mean when they acquired Kostitsyn?

am i missing something??

have they landed pominville? moulson? vanek? gaborik? nash? voracek? carter? j. staal? kunitz? neal? i'm not following

other than maybe Mike Fisher...(which isn't a big move at all)

i can't recall a time where the Preds made a huge trade to bolster their lineup

and as far as i know, they've always been more than a couple of mil under the cap...if not always than 9/10 of the time

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:01 PM
Preds33

Some comments from the players. Most of the players are blaming themselves.

Quote:
Captain Shea Weber: “Only time will tell if a change was needed. … It is exciting to think about something new and heading in a new direction, but it’s still tough right now because it’s still fresh that the only head coach I’ve ever know here is gone.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/spor...trotz/7720351/

Last edited by hatterson: 04-15-2014 at 10:43 AM. Reason: You cannot post entire articles
Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:03 PM
hockey diva

It usually helps if you have something to trade with. We don't. Columbus was not going to trade Carter, Nash etc to us a division rival at the time. Some of those guys were not interested in coming here, no matter what you paid them.

Poile 's downfall has been poor forward drafting.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:06 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
I just could not disagree with this more- whoever the new coach is, he is going to have great talent on defense (quite possibly could be the most talented d in the whole NHL the next 2-3 year). Also set at goaltender IF Pekka returns to his old form (a big if at this point I admit).

We absolutely do NOT need to blow it up...........
Here is one thing people forget (including POILE).... scoring goals happens to be big part of winning hockey games. I don't care how good our defense and not-so elite goaltender are.

Poile has said from Day One that he's building from the goal out. While that has some merit, that does not mean you totally crap the bed at forward-- which is what he has done his entire 30 year career.

Barry Trtoz has had the worst offensive talent in the league over the past 15 years. He has over achieved most years given our talent level.

So long as Poile is the one bringing in the talent, this team will not get better, and likely worse. And he'll continue to fail with our star player relations as well.

Overall the last 15 years we would have been worse without Trotz, no doubt. The only other guy the league who overachieves as much is Dave Tippett.

This is not a team on the brink of being anywhere near a contender.

Last edited by dulzhok: 04-14-2014 at 10:12 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:08 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
He has not had the worst forwards in the league for 15 years. Good Lord people.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:12 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
overall during the period, yes. Yeah you can throw in 2 or 3 years of the 15 where he wasn't in the bottom 5 but over all, yes he has had some of the worst talent.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:12 PM
hockey diva

Copied from another thread.

I am just not getting all the Trotz love. Yes, he is an excellent coach for the regular season. Was not a playoff coach. How long was he supposed to coach here? Forever? Another mediocre season just missing the playoffs? What would it have taken for him to be let go in your minds?

Last edited by hockey diva: 04-14-2014 at 10:20 PM.
Old
04-14-2014, 10:20 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
If we aren't the worst, we are easily one of the worst. Even Phoenix had Doan, Thachuck, Roenick at one point in that span. David freaking Legwand is our franchise leading scorer. Even the couple years we had decent foward talent, all acquired players were deemed expendable by their previous club-- someone body else's leftovers.

Don't care how good Rinne looked for a couple years playing Trotzs system which has made a lot of goalies look good, including Mike Dunham.

Poile has crapped the bed at forward. That is this franchise's main problem.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:25 PM
PredsV82
Fancy Stats Denier

vCash: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Some comments from the players. Most of the players are blaming themselves.
Interesting that a player we would assume wouldn't be sad at all to see Trotz go(Wilson, permanent dog house resident) seemed to take it the hardest

My take of reading between the lines in those comments was the defensemen mostly were ok with him leaving(exception being Ellis, another doghouse resident ), every one else not so much

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 10:26 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
I am just not getting all the Trotz love. Yes, he is an excellent coach for the regular season. Was not a playoff coach. How long was he supposed to coach here? Forever? Another mediocre season just missing the playoffs? What would it have taken for him to be let go in your minds?
A first line player to start would have been nice for Trotz. He hasn't had one in at least 6 years, unless you count the 9 games Radulov came back to play Poile for a fool again.

In 15 years, Trotz has had 4 1st players for short periods:
- Kariya on the downside of his career for 2 years
- Forseberg with bum ankle for 20-ish games
- Sullivan, only because he couldn't make the 1st line on a real contender
- Radulov was a 1st-line player on the rise.

The year our first line of SK-Fisher-Erat everyone was thinking we had a "chance"-- Newflash... that is a joke of a first line compared to true contenders.

If anyone expected more, they aren't paying attention to the talent of other teams winning Stanley Cups.

Again, Poile has crapped the bed a forward and can't get the pulse of his players. That's the primary problem.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:39 PM
hockey diva

So it's all on Poile? Seriously? So Trotz is completely blameless in our playoff failures? Why aren't you answering the question. What would have justified letting him go?

Old
04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
So it's all on Poile? Seriously? So Trotz is completely blameless in our playoff failures? Why aren't you answering the question. What would have justified letting him go?
Getting to 2nd rd with SK-Fisher-Erat as a "first line" isn't a failure in my mind.

You expecting a Stanley Cup from one of those guys? Riight.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:45 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Simple, when he has a roster where he consistently underachieves.

Problem is.... he's overachieved most of the time.

Trotz isn't perfect, but he's not the root of our problem.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:47 PM
hockey diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Getting to 2nd rd with SK-Fisher-Erat as a "first line" isn't a failure in my mind.

You expecting a Stanley Cup from one of those guys? Riight.
I actually expected a western conference final, no one was going to beat LA that year.

Yes, Poile deserves to be gone as well and I have said that. Trotz is not blameless however.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:51 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
I actually expected a western conference final, no one was going to beat LA that year.

Yes, Poile deserves to be gone as well and I have said that. Trotz is not blameless however.
Not blamless, but not the root of the problem.

Phx got blown out by LA as would we. Even if Pekka outplayed Smith and we got to WCF and blown out by LA, it wouldn't quiet the people who think changing Trotz is going to dramatically change our fortunes.

Old
04-14-2014, 10:57 PM
hockey diva

Never said it would. I am okay with a changing of the guard so to speak.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:00 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Never said it would. I am okay with a changing of the guard so to speak.
We don't need to change the guard, we need to change the king. Poile has run this franchise into the ground the past 2 yrs when we had a chance to turn into an elite team.

Old
04-14-2014, 11:02 PM
Predsboro

Quote:
You know it's OK for us to feel bad about this today ... lighten up for a bit. A very good man lost his job today and was as classy as classy could be in doing so.

#ThankYouTrotz

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:17 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 50
Quote:
ONE franchise in the entire NHL has never, ever, not one time, had a 40 goal scorer. How close has that franchise come? Arnie - 33 goals. Our talent up front, as a whole, has not been very good, even when you jettison the first 5 expansion/building years.

Trotz had to go - sure, someone has to be accountable. BUT...... trotz is not the one that assembled this roster or did the drafts or signed the free agents that have led us to having Arnie's 33 as our best.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:25 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsboro View Post
You know it's OK for us to feel bad about this today ... lighten up for a bit. A very good man lost his job today and was as classy as classy could be in doing so.

#ThankYouTrotz
Blood in the water, and the hunger has not yet been satisfied.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 11:46 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
Interesting that a player we would assume wouldn't be sad at all to see Trotz go(Wilson, permanent dog house resident) seemed to take it the hardest

My take of reading between the lines in those comments was the defensemen mostly were ok with him leaving(exception being Ellis, another doghouse resident ), every one else not so much
It is funny, how a bunch of people who sit behind a keyboard think someone is in a doghouse and hates the coach and it becomes gospel.

I understand it, however I think this past season was Trotz's best as coach considering what all he had to work with.

I understand moving on, and it may be like Legwand, a very sad day, but a necessary one.

BUT, until proven otherwise, the wrong guy got the ax today.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 01:16 AM
dulzhok

Why did Poile wait?

4 things from today's press conference:

1) Poile talking more passionately than I've ever seen. He's fighting for a job.

2) No one can watch Trotz' press conference and not like the guy.

3) Poile repeated several times Phoenix series was the turning point... thought we had a team that could go all the way.

Wake up Poile. SK-Fisher-Erat is crap first line. All those deadline moves (asset burning) for AK-Gill-Gaustad-- those are depth additions to any real Stanley Cup threat-- not moves to propel you to the SC. We do not have a GM that knows how to get a team to elite. He's naive in many ways.

4) Both Trotz and Poile made it known that this decision was made weeks ago.

Poile, WhyTF did you wait? You had a perfect chance to promote Lambert or Housely to interim coach... a perfect chance to give someone a "tryout"... a perfect chance to give players a wake-up call and see how they jive with a new coach... Meanwhile, you let a guy you know you were going to fire just keep showing up to work, delaying the inevitable?

THIS is a major reason why Poile can't build elite teams. He sits on things too long. He does things "in time".

Meanwhile, successful GMs are quick on their feet, go in a make the move that needs to be made, they get things done.

What's one thing Poile had to gain by waiting until season's end?

... Add it to long list of ways Poile has screwed the pooch the last 2 years.

Old
04-15-2014, 01:21 AM
dulzhok

Sounds like we are losing Korn with Trotz.

Replacing Trotz will be hard enough.... you don't replace the best goalie coach in the world.