HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Apr. 15, 2014) Flyers extend Andrew MacDonald [six years $30 million, per media]

Old
05-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

vCash: 500
Don't forget Matt Green, who has become pretty awful as well as injury prone.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...I would much prefer 1-2 years of Gus on the cheap to trading picks for 6 years of MacD at this cap hit.

05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
I don't mind MacDonald the player. Just don't like that contract. especially the term.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:34 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I don't mind MacDonald the player. Just don't like that contract. especially the term.
Six years was a little extreme...would have been a better contract at 3 years...the amount per year doesn't bother me.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Yeah, the contract is troublesome. Is there really enough difference between Gus and MacDonald to justify 6 years of him at 3 or 3+ million dollars more than Gus would get? That's the difference between having or not having another decent depth player.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:48 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Six years was a little extreme...would have been a better contract at 3 years...the amount per year doesn't bother me.
Bang on. 3 years would have been ideal.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
3 years likely doesn't get it done tho. I would of let him walk into free agency if he wanted more then 3. there was really no need to give the guy a 6 year contract.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 12:57 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
He wasn't signing a contract anywhere for less than 5 years probably. This guy was making peanuts for most of his 20's. He was going to get paid, and I don't really blame him. This is the last relevant contract he'll have in the NHL.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, the contract is troublesome. Is there really enough difference between Gus and MacDonald to justify 6 years of him at 3 or 3+ million dollars more than Gus would get? That's the difference between having or not having another decent depth player.
What good does another decent depth player do if you've already got enough of them? I imagine the hole left behind by taking out a better player would be more significant.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
What good does another decent depth player do if you've already got enough of them? I imagine the hole left behind by taking out a better player would be more significant.
Would you prefer MacDonald and Rinaldo on the roster in that 4th line wing spot, or Gus and someone like Max Talbot?

That extra 3 million dollars could buy a significant upgrade over Rinaldo on the 4th line...perhaps two players who are better than Rinaldo.

I'm skeptical that MacDonald is so much better than Gus to justify the extra cap space that could be employed elsewhere to improve the team.

Old
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Would you prefer MacDonald and Rinaldo on the roster in that 4th line wing spot, or Gus and someone like Max Talbot?
Can't make up my mind, to be honest.

Quote:
That extra 3 million dollars could buy a significant upgrade over Rinaldo on the 4th line...perhaps two players who are better than Rinaldo.
But you can only use one. Again, it does you no good to have those extra guys just waiting around.

Quote:
I'm skeptical that MacDonald is so much better than Gus to justify the extra cap space that could be employed elsewhere to improve the team.
I think it just really depends on who else is going to be in the defensive corps next season, you can't really isolate it. If we, say, replace Grossmann with someone small, then I think the extra cap space does justify it, but if we go for someone in his mould (Stralman would be damn awesome), then perhaps we could get away with having Gus in the lineup.

It's hard for me to critically evaluate these things at times, though, since I like Gus so much more than MacDonald, so I'm kind of biased.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 08:03 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:

I agree with this. He is better than Gus, but likely won't be the 3-4 million extra dollars over Gus but it is obvious the organization doesn't see Gus as a top 6 defender on this team

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Curufinwe

A lot of work went into this article. There are gifs of every regular season goal conceded by the Flyers with MacDonald on the ice.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...drew-macdonald

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

What was he doing there!?

Old
08-07-2014, 01:22 PM
Curufinwe

Yeah, I picked the worst one they had as an example.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
What was he doing there!?
Looked like bad communication between MacDonald and Brayden Schenn. MacDonald was covering the low guy, but when Schenn moved down towards the corner, MacDonald went to cover the guy in the slot, and then Schenn lost the guy in the corner. I'd say that one is on both of them.

55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus

Complete cluster**** between the two, I didn't think to watch the center, I tunnel visioned onto MacD. Meanwhile, Lecavalier appears to be doing the right things.

I can't wait to get Schenn out of the center position.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:47 PM
tymed

Lol @ blaming this one on Brayden. That was ALL AMac. Dman in front of the net doesn't leave the net open, end of story. If the C is already in the corner and the netfront Dman is feeling pressure in the high slot.... that is then Lecavalier's man to cover. Vinny has himself isolated from the play here entirely. If you wanna rag on Brayden do it somewhere else because he did nothing wrong on this play. He could have done more to make up for the mistakes of the others here but that's about it.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Curufinwe

The article writer gave Mac 8/10 of the blame for that goal. I think that's fair.

Old
08-07-2014, 01:59 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymed View Post
Lol @ blaming this one on Brayden. That was ALL AMac. Dman in front of the net doesn't leave the net open, end of story. If the C is already in the corner and the netfront Dman is feeling pressure in the high slot.... that is then Lecavalier's man to cover. Vinny has himself isolated from the play here entirely. If you wanna rag on Brayden do it somewhere else because he did nothing wrong on this play. He could have done more to make up for the mistakes of the others here but that's about it.
You have absolutely no idea what they're coached to do in that situation. Schenn goes over towards Zajac and then gets beat by him to the net (in large part because he got caught off balance trying to reach for the puck), while AMac over pursued Jagr, who was left wide open. It was pretty poor defensive coverage all around.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:01 PM
hockeyfreak7

If Schenn stays on Jagr, that leaves a very low percentage play for Zajac to make out of the corner.

BSchenn made the initial **** up, and MacDonald did a poor job making up for it.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
tymed

Fair enough but if AMac isn't getting 100% of the blame here, which he really should, then Vinny gets the rest for being completely useless and putting himself outside of the entire play going on.

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:05 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Fair enough but if AMac isn't getting 100% of the blame here, which he really should, then Vinny gets the rest for being completely useless and putting himself outside of the entire play going on.
Wait, you're blaming Lecavalier?!

He was the LW. He's actually in pretty solid position for once in his life. That was a 3 on 3 down low-- not Lecavalier's responsibility as the winger.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 02:05 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
So just leave Jagr wide open at the faceoff dot for a prime scoring chance? If anything, it should be Streit getting some **** for chasing the play way up to the top of the circle along the boards. Let the winger, or even the center, handle that guy in the cycle.

Schenn could have definitely made a better play on that one though. At that point, it basically becomes man on man. If he had an ounce of hockey IQ in the defensive zone, he would have been able to read the play based on MacDonald's decision and cut off the passing opportunity from Jagr.

Let's also not forget that it was still a pretty damn nice play by one of the best players of all time. Sometimes you just get beat, even if you're in good position.

Old
08-07-2014, 02:06 PM
flyershockey

Lol at blaming Vinny there. Scapegoat, indeed.

Old
08-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Schenn needs to either be at 1LW or at C but with two actual wingers. Every time he's been at C he's been given **** tier players like Briere or Lecavelier who ruined every line they played on. It's easy to say that he should be able to be productive even with them, but he's still very young. He needs time to play on a line where he's not responsible for completely carrying it.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote