04-30-2014, 09:20 PM
jefferoni
mother was a hamster

vCash: 777
Jets selling game-used equipment this weekend

Buff's game-used socks? Ewwwww...

link

Quote:
If game-used hockey equipment is your thing, the Winnipeg Jets have a deal for you this weekend.

The Jets announced today they'll be putting on sale this weekend their supply of sticks, helmets, gloves, skates & socks, used by players like Andrew Ladd, Blake Wheeler and Dustin Byfuglien. All available gear will be marked down between 25 and 50 per cent.

The game-used equipment will be on sale only at the team's merchandise store at the MTS Centre. Store hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday.

jefferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferoni View Post
Buff's game-used socks? Ewwwww...

link
Oh man I would be all over this. Premium equipment at a good discount. Pro stock you can't get anywhere else.

When I lived in Edmonton Totem Sports used to carry all of the Oilers stick returns and extras. I would get $250 or even better, unavailable to the public sticks for $60

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:31 PM
wpgsilver

The reality is that Jets Gear almost always has Jets stuff on sale. I know a couple buddies that rock Jets players skates.

As for the OP, its the hockey socks, which are far better than the regular ones on the markets.

04-30-2014, 09:40 PM
broinwhyteridge

At least they aren't selling used jocks.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:43 PM
jefferoni
mother was a hamster

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Oh man I would be all over this. Premium equipment at a good discount. Pro stock you can't get anywhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
As for the OP, its the hockey socks, which are far better than the regular ones on the markets.
Don't get me wrong guys, I see these sales the same as you do... quality equipment at a good price. It's the collectability spin they try to put on the used socks that makes me scratch my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
^^^ bro gets where I'm coming from...

jefferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 09:56 PM
wpgsilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferoni View Post
Don't get me wrong guys, I see these sales the same as you do... quality equipment at a good price. It's the collectability spin they try to put on the used socks that makes me scratch my head.

^^^ bro gets where I'm coming from...
Haha try the socks!!!
My buddy still uses Moose socks he has.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:02 AM
koth

My brother in law uses James Wright's stick.

He's scored more goals with it than Wright ever did, so at least it's getting some good use.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:09 AM
Romang67
BitterSwede

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broinwhyteridge View Post
They're not?

Damn, that sucks. I was gonna buy Hutchinson's. Just to show that, unlike Pavelec, I can hold Hutchinson's jockstrap.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:21 AM
LadyJet26
WHITEOUT

Why would anyone want used equipment? Ewww

LadyJet26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 09:54 AM
seasontixholder*

Anyone know what the used sticks go for? That would be the only hockey equipment I would use used. Wearing someone else's gear is just gross.

seasontixholder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll probably check it out.

I saw Monty's skates for sale at one of the games, same size as me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
Other than gloves, I don't see what's so gross about it. That's the only piece of equipment that would be in direct contact with your skin.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:38 AM
TheDeuce

vCash: 367
Pavelec's equipment will have a premium price. Fewest puck marks of all NHL goalie pads.

m.

TheDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:54 AM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Question from the clueless goalie: aren't those pro sticks typically stiffer than what you'd normally use for rec hockey?

Always figured that you'd want to use a whippier intermediate stick instead of a pro shaft.

Old
05-01-2014, 11:02 AM
GoldenJet89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Question from the clueless goalie: aren't those pro sticks typically stiffer than what you'd normally use for rec hockey?

Always figured that you'd want to use a whippier intermediate stick instead of a pro shaft.
Typically yes... But that is only because the average pro is usually bigger than the average rec hockey player (more height/weight/strength etc)

For someone like me (5'9) a pro stick from most players wouldnt be a good idea, it'd be too stiff and i wouldnt get any benefit, but the bigger and stronger guys definitely could make it work

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:15 PM
cbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJet26 View Post
They do wash / clean / disinfect them you know.

In my playing days I always bought socks and gloves from the Jets 1.0 and Moose. Bought a pair of Jets pants once too.

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:24 PM
koth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post

There aren't many rec hockey guys that use intermediate sticks. I tried one once, but my slapshot went to hell because it was just too flexible. I'm 6'2", 185 lbs. and I use a 90, which I think is pretty standard for NHL forwards. Most defencemen in the NHL use 100s or up, I believe. There are guys on my team that use 100s too, so I don't think there's too much difference between rec hockey stiffness and NHL level stiffness.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
tbcwpg

I use intermediate but that's more of a size thing than a preference. I'm about 5'6" so the senior composites are a bit too tall for me, and if I cut them down the flex factor goes even higher.

tbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 02:06 PM
cutchemist42

I know on another board (goaliestore.com) lots of people grab used goalie gear that is amazing quality.

cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
wpgsilver

At people thinking buying the equipment is so gross. People go to sports traders all the time and get used gear that isn't taken care nearly as well.
Its all cleaned and disinfected. Its also taken care of far better during the year then the average Joe takes care of their stuff. If I needed gear I'd stock up.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 03:09 PM
ajmidd12
Know-It-All

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
Typically yes... But that is only because the average pro is usually bigger than the average rec hockey player (more height/weight/strength etc)

For someone like me (5'9) a pro stick from most players wouldnt be a good idea, it'd be too stiff and i wouldnt get any benefit, but the bigger and stronger guys definitely could make it work
Pretty much this, I have a heavy shot and have always used 110 Stiff sticks (talking back 10-15 years ago), until they switched to that stupid stiffness step system, I like playing with a longer stick.

I picked up a pro stock stick from my buddy on the Devils, used it the first game, haven't looked back. MUCH better control and responsiveness than the stuff you can buy at the store.

I personally don't see what's wrong with used gear, I might just try and pickup a good set of skates if they have any left, I'm due for an upgrade.

ajmidd12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 03:46 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post

At people thinking buying the equipment is so gross. People go to sports traders all the time and get used gear that isn't taken care nearly as well.
Its all cleaned and disinfected. Its also taken care of far better during the year then the average Joe takes care of their stuff. If I needed gear I'd stock up.
Yep. Also the fact that NHL'ers usually use the stuff a lot less than the stuff you'd find at a second market store.

Some guys only skate 5 games in a pair of skates. A lot of that used equipment is barely used.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 01:37 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Checked it out today.

Nearly all of the equipment is 25% off, there are a few items priced at 50% off. Great deals on some Setoguchi twigs and a pair of Antropov skates!

Worth noting, the game-worn jerseys are 25% off as well. Depending on the player, that means savings of anywhere between $125 and $375. Not too shabby.

All of the Moose stuff is 75% off. Couldn't tell if there were any Moose gamers there, but they had all their Moose pro weight jerseys at 75% off. $60-$70 for a pro weight jersey is a pretty solid deal.

Old
05-03-2014, 05:53 PM
mondo3

Sticks are priced between 150 and 250 (take 25% off those numbers). Most of the stars were around 190 pre discount. I picked up a Little stick for $150+tax.

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:49 AM
bodybreak
Whiteshell Wild

vCash: 720
I had never been to anything like this before, and was like a kid in a candy store yesterday! Snagged a Montoya game-used stick for $100 and a Moose pro weight goalie cut jersey for $75. Both were equipment that I would have end up buying elsewhere had this sale not been on, except that it would have been a goalie stick of lower quality and a blank (no logo) replica NHL jersey (if those still exist), for the same price or likely more. This was after spending an hour poring over everything, much to the amusement of the staff.

(Hank: There were replica and pro weight Moose jerseys but nothing customized or game worn)

Some interesting tidbits:
* Pretty much the only helmet I could fit into was Patrice Cormier's
* Kane & Slater's gloves were both pretty good fits
* Yes, of all the equipment, you could still smell the "hockey" on the gloves... and while most were in really good shape, there was one pair where the palms were shredded away to almost nothing (don't know whose they were)
* Some gloves had players #s stitched on the sides, while a few had players names
* Game used gear was originally going to be on display for about 10 games a year, but the Jets have shifted it to every game, realizing that a lot of STHs split tickets
* There was a lot more Moose gear there than I would have expected, including a lot of jerseys with their last logo. I got there late yesterday, and they had also just brought up a couple of jerseys with the final Mick E Moose logo on them. Makes you wonder what else is hiding in the basement!

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote