Notices

HF Jets Lounge: We Like King Tut Because He's So Damn Fly

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2014, 04:40 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
I have told myself that I am getting better shape this summer. I'm not in terrible shape, but I know I could be better.

I just need to be pushed to do so, which is my hardest thing to do. I can never seem to do it by myself. I go hard at it for a few days, including dieting, I feel great, and then I just give up.

I would also like to know what Hank asked about the training sessions. I would LOVE to do them with a diet plan.

Old
04-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5585
I don't go to the gym, but I still work out at home every single day. I find that to be the best motivator - no excuses you have to work out every day. I used to do one day on one day off, but the off days would stretch from laziness.

Old
04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

vCash: 69
Yep I usually work out at home when I'm in the zone. No close gyms as I live outside the city and don't feel like driving for it nor do I feel like hauling around spare clothes at the university.

Lynk, or someone who has one, what do you guys think of those doorframe chin-up bars? I want to buy one (price isn't the issue) but are they sturdy/would you use one?

Old
04-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
I love running, but that's more from the enjoyment it provides. Agree that it's probably not the greatest expenditure of time and energy from a body composition standpoint.

@Lynk: what would you consider to be a fair price for personal training sessions? $50 per hour session sound about right?
Generally $50 a session is the standard, unfortunately with this industry it's tough to know what you're spending your money on as some people can become certified overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irunthepeg View Post
Yep I usually work out at home when I'm in the zone. No close gyms as I live outside the city and don't feel like driving for it nor do I feel like hauling around spare clothes at the university.

Lynk, or someone who has one, what do you guys think of those doorframe chin-up bars? I want to buy one (price isn't the issue) but are they sturdy/would you use one?

They're actually not bad, despite the multiple workout fail videos I've seen with people who have been using them. If you use it safely and as it's intended it should be just fine.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:24 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

And to clear up, I wasn't really "taking jabs" per se.

When you work in the industry I do and am constantly asked by people how to get to their goals and spending the time with them explaining exactly how to do it, you tend to get a little aggravated when you see the majority of them right back on their comfy treadmill wasting away.

When people ask me for my advice, I no longer use kid gloves because people just don't respond to it unless I talk about it in a "come at me bro" manner

Old
04-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
doorframe chin-up bars? I want to buy one (price isn't the issue) but are they sturdy/would you use one?
I have one. It supports me fine and I never feel it is going to give, but I weigh 160-165 lbs.

Two issues: With my particular model, you can't really do a wide-grip pull up on them because of the way they sit on the doorframe/wall. The second is that you often forget that you have it attached, and when closing the door of the frame it's attached to, it dislodges and comes crashing down into your floors/against walls/you! It's happens a lot actually.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:28 PM
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!

Trying to claim my tuition for my 60% back on turbo tax

It kept saying I had to put the year I graduated and I did so I just said **** it and I'll claim it next year.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

When you work in the industry I do and am constantly asked by people how to get to their goals and spending the time with them explaining exactly how to do it, you tend to get a little aggravated when you see the majority of them right back on their comfy treadmill wasting away.

When people ask me for my advice, I no longer use kid gloves because people just don't respond to it unless I talk about it in a "come at me bro" manner
Yeah like I said I'm sure you didn't intend to. You were probably giving advice as if it were a prospective client who was specifically asking for a body transformation. Like you wouldn't be addressing a group of people that may have endurance athletes mixed into it in that same way. Thing is you never know the types of people you are meeting on the internet...

Old
04-22-2014, 05:35 PM
KillEmAll83

Battle.net username: EvilVoices#1359

---
Old
04-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I have the best body for running ever. I hate running, and every time I start running for exercise, a different part of my body just breaks down and causes me excruciating pain for about a week. Leading to me not having to run. I love my body for that.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:41 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
They're actually not bad, despite the multiple workout fail videos I've seen with people who have been using them. If you use it safely and as it's intended it should be just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbofan View Post
I have one. It supports me fine and I never feel it is going to give, but I weigh 160-165 lbs.

Two issues: With my particular model, you can't really do a wide-grip pull up on them because of the way they sit on the doorframe/wall. The second is that you often forget that you have it attached, and when closing the door of the frame it's attached to, it dislodges and comes crashing down into your floors/against walls/you! It's happens a lot actually.
Thanks guys! And I can see myself doing that hahahahahaha. I'll do my best to be careful with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I have the best body for running ever. I hate running, and every time I start running for exercise, a different part of my body just breaks down and causes me excruciating pain for about a week. Leading to me not having to run. I love my body for that.
I should have been a hockey player (I can hardly skate), I have a body built for it. I have a bigger lower half and that's where most of my fat accumulates or muscle builds. Would have been great at getting big legs ready for skating.

Old
04-22-2014, 05:44 PM
Jet
Buff Basher

Quote:

Hey man,

I appreciate all of the advice. I think for people who are really motivated to look and/ or feel better it's great to know what works and what doesn't.

You've seen my insta and you know I am pretty close to the way I want to look. I feel pretty healthy and great but I would still like to have a 6 pack (the dream).

I had to stop doing Insanity. Not because I couldn't take it but because with all of the damage I have done to my joints through hockey it would be a matter of when not if I injure myself. I do plan on continuing with my plan which is:

Working out 3 days a week: Upper body weight training and trying to switch it up

Hockey 3-4 times a week

HIIT at home when I can't play hockey. What I found gets me dying (and therefore consider effective) is 15 seconds of jumping from squats as quickly as I can with no breaks, followed by 15 seconds of side to side mini hurdles again as fast as possible with no break. Rest for 30 seconds and then repeat 8 times. The workout is less than 10 minutes but man do I feel it and it exhausts me. I fall asleep on the couch early after doing that. It's also great for me as a hockey player because those exercises are designed to improve your explosiveness, your agility and how long you can skate full out.

I watched a very interesting documentary about this guy who was doing HIIT intervals on a stationary bike. High tension, balls to the wall for 15 seconds, resting for 30, doing that 8 - 10 times. They did a bunch of blood sugar and vo2 max tests before and a month after he did this I believe 4 times a week for a month and the results were stunning. He didn't change his diet or do any other additional exercise and he lost 20 lbs and moved out of a type 2 diabetes risk with his blood sugars. His Vo2 max improved dramatically too.

That's what got me really motivated to do HIIT and I think it did me good but then I started to play a lot of hockey and I kinda stopped.

My biggest enemy is food. I behave for a while but I love things like pizza, fro yo, and other starches. If I could convince myself to consistently cut that stuff down even more I bet, even at my age I could get a 6 pack.

04-22-2014, 05:45 PM
LadyJet26
BACK TO BACK CHAMPS!

I don't get boys and their video games.

*proceeds to talk about Sims 3*

Old
04-22-2014, 06:28 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

I only have a handful of games on PS3 and I love them all: NHL 14 (and 13 which now just sits there), Just Cause 2 and Driver: San Francisco. All games I can just pick up when bored and don't have to spend a ton of time with completing a story. That said, my dad bought me AC3 last Christmas as a surprise and I think I got about half way through. Maybe I should complete it.

Old
04-22-2014, 06:40 PM
Repoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Now that I'm installing D3 again, gimme yer battle.net account names!
I'm installing D3 now as well.

Repoman#1312

I find it funny that half the talk is Video games, the other Health/Fitness. I find it sad that I should be more concerned with Health/Fitness than Video games...

YOLO?

Old
04-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

Looks like Zachary Fucale isn't the winner we all thought he was.

Val d'or has been wrecking him this entire playoff series. Just got pulled after 3 minutes and 28 seconds after he gave up 3 goals on 4 shots.

Scared to think he'll be team Canada's starter for the WJC.

Old
04-22-2014, 06:53 PM
chaos4
Mr.Scratch

vCash: 615
Quote:

By all means don't use kid gloves with me. So if I walk uphill all over to Hell's half acre, I am wasting my time? I want to be rid of muffin top.I don't need to lose weight, but cannot no way, no how get rid of the spare. Insanity videos? Trouble is I have arthritis in Lumbar 3-5. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:08 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
Looks like Zachary Fucale isn't the winner we all thought he was.

Val d'or has been wrecking him this entire playoff series. Just got pulled after 3 minutes and 28 seconds after he gave up 3 goals on 4 shots.

Scared to think he'll be team Canada's starter for the WJC.
REALLY? Wow. That's not good to hear.

Wait, what's his defense like? Are the goals all his fault or is his defense just terrible.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:12 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

Quote:
REALLY? Wow. That's not good to hear.

Wait, what's his defense like? Are the goals all his fault or is his defense just terrible.
He's the winningest goaltender who's ever won. Who needs defense?

Plus giving up 3 on 4 shots in a shootout is considered bad for a goalie.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos4 View Post
By all means don't use kid gloves with me. So if I walk uphill all over to Hell's half acre, I am wasting my time? I want to be rid of muffin top.I don't need to lose weight, but cannot no way, no how get rid of the spare. Insanity videos? Trouble is I have arthritis in Lumbar 3-5. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Actually uphill walking is a perfectly acceptable form of cardio in terms of helping with body composition and fat loss. It's more of the jogging/elliptical etc where you sit at your 50-70% max heart rate for an extended period where body composition improvements will stall.

If you're looking to really get rid of the fat, find some steep hills/stairs and go up them as hard as you physically can for anywhere from 10-20 seconds. But it must be your absolute 100% effort. Do it once, then rest for about 1-2 minutes (if you're doing it right you will need this rest), then do that 10-20 second interval again, then rest etc. Repeat about 8-10 times, by the end you should be absolutely destroyed.

That's when the fun stuff happens, you've torn your body down and depleted your energy systems so much that your body is in a state called EPOC. Which is excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, which essentially means this is the time (which usually ranges anywhere from 6-12 hours) your body will be in full fat burn mode for hours after you've completed this work.

Do that about 3-4 times a week, keep your diet as clean as you can and you will see the fat start to melt off.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

I am digitalhero#1707

Old
04-22-2014, 07:25 PM
CorgisPer60
Barking at the net

vCash: 279
I'm DespoticNewt#1197.

Old
04-22-2014, 07:36 PM
chaos4
Mr.Scratch

vCash: 615
Quote:
Actually uphill walking is a perfectly acceptable form of cardio in terms of helping with body composition and fat loss. It's more of the jogging/elliptical etc where you sit at your 50-70% max heart rate for an extended period where body composition improvements will stall.

If you're looking to really get rid of the fat, find some steep hills/stairs and go up them as hard as you physically can for anywhere from 10-20 seconds. But it must be your absolute 100% effort. Do it once, then rest for about 1-2 minutes (if you're doing it right you will need this rest), then do that 10-20 second interval again, then rest etc. Repeat about 8-10 times, by the end you should be absolutely destroyed.

That's when the fun stuff happens, you've torn your body down and depleted your energy systems so much that your body is in a state called EPOC. Which is excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, which essentially means this is the time (which usually ranges anywhere from 6-12 hours) your body will be in full fat burn mode for hours after you've completed this work.

Do that about 3-4 times a week, keep your diet as clean as you can and you will see the fat start to melt off.
I throw spinach, kale, cucumbers, zucchini, water, and a chunk of banana in nutribullet
daily. Grapefruit, eggs, etc. My weakness is Tim's coffee. 4 cream & 4 sugar. I know it's not coffee, it's dessert. I have to give it up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will let you know how it goes.

Old
04-22-2014, 08:11 PM
irunthepeg
Mark ScheifELITE

**** wrong thread!

In any case, I was gonna post that I'm glad I never got hooked on coffee. I may be sluggish in the morning but it's another sugar intake I just don't need.

Old
04-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

Lynk,

What kind of exercises can I do at home for my back/shoulders?

Closed Thread