Notices

HF Jets Lounge: We Like King Tut Because He's So Damn Fly

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2014, 09:22 AM
YWGinYYZ
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Bandwagon avatars for the teams remaining in the playoffs, for those who might want 'em - these incorporate the IceCaps logo. If you want one without the IceCaps logo, let me know via PM. Larger one (150x150) is for sponsors, and the smaller one (125x125 - more like 100'ish in order to get them below the file size limit for non-sponsors) is for non-sponsors.

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_hawks_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_hawks_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_wild_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_wild_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_pens_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_pens_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_rangers_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_rangers_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_habs_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_habs_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_ducks_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_ducks_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_kings_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_kings_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_bruins_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_150x150.gif
http://www.twitchmedia.com/jets/avatars/bandwagon_2014/jets_bruins_icecaps_bandwagon_2014_125x125.gif

Old
05-03-2014, 09:54 AM
Jet
GO JETS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I've never understood this obsession with getting a ton of your own money back from the government. Congratulations! You lent money to the government interest free!
The way I look at it is it's a savings plan. Also, I know it's cool to hate the government but they do lots of amazing things for us as citizens. Of course, it's far from perfect but when I think of the hundreds and hundreds of other countries we could live in, there aren't many that top Canada. I don't mind paying taxes and doing my part.

Having that extra 1 or 2G every April to go on a trip, or get yourself a treat is really nice.

PS YWG it's your move on the thread title. I already have another one in mind

Old
05-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
The way I look at it is it's a savings plan. Also, I know it's cool to hate the government but they do lots of amazing things for us as citizens. Of course, it's far from perfect but when I think of the hundreds and hundreds of other countries we could live in, there aren't many that top Canada. I don't mind paying taxes and doing my part.

Having that extra 1 or 2G every April to go on a trip, or get yourself a treat is really nice.

PS YWG it's your move on the thread title. I already have another one in mind
I mean, just look at our beautiful roadways and fantastic health care system...

Old
05-03-2014, 01:39 PM
irunthepeg
SJQ EPMBOE ‎a

vCash: 69
I'm pretty damn good at FreeCell.

Old
05-03-2014, 05:18 PM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

There sure is a long run-up to the Kentucky Derby...

Old
05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
No mistakes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
There sure is a long run-up to the Kentucky Derby...
Of course. Need time to admire all the weird hats.

Old
05-03-2014, 06:29 PM
buggs
#freeTrouba

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunthepeg View Post
I'm pretty damn good at FreeCell.
The beauty of FreeCell is that there is always a solution, as opposed to solitaire which depending on the shuffle may not be solvable much at all.

Old
05-03-2014, 06:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
The beauty of FreeCell is that there is always a solution, as opposed to solitaire which depending on the shuffle may not be solvable much at all.
I believe something like 2 of 10000 or 100000 different games have never been solved. Random fact I read once ha.

Old
05-03-2014, 06:45 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
I don't do Solitaire anymore. I realized that once I start playing it, I can't end on an unsolved shuffle.

So I've been stuck playing it for hours and hours, while I really had more important things to do.

Old
05-03-2014, 11:47 PM
irunthepeg
SJQ EPMBOE ‎a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
I don't do Solitaire anymore. I realized that once I start playing it, I can't end on an unsolved shuffle.

So I've been stuck playing it for hours and hours, while I really had more important things to do.
Same with me and FreeCell I can't quit until I've solved the current game

Old
05-03-2014, 11:57 PM
allan5oh
Has prospect fever

vCash: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
...better than NOT getting the money back, no?
How about not paying it in the first place? But that's not always possible.

Old
05-04-2014, 12:11 AM
spiny norman
Mod Supervisor
Dinsdale !!!

Quote:
If you're referring to Windows Freecell, try game #11982.

Old
05-04-2014, 01:10 AM
irunthepeg
SJQ EPMBOE ‎a

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiny norman View Post
If you're referring to Windows Freecell, try game #11982.
**** you man, now I'm trying this one!!!!

-3 and -4 give you auto win games

Old
05-04-2014, 05:44 AM
Smelling Salt

Send a message via MSN to Smelling Salt
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Yes it is weird but real. When I work with my accountant I tell him to make sure I over install throughout the year because I hate the top up notice and love the refund . On an intellectual level it is laughable but on an emotional level for some reason I need to trick myself to keep sane as I cut my quarterly checks knowing how many wasteful ways governments spend.
I know what you mean. It feels like a bonus to me - unexpected money. If I had just been paid it throughout the year I wouldn't notice it as much.

On a related note, this was my first year claiming daycare. It's a nice perk at tax time to have a kid. But seriously, my wife and I aren't hurting financially and I actually feel guilty claiming things like daycare. I feel that's something that should be stopped at a certain income level and left for the people who really need it. My wife is a Chartered Accountant and when I told her my opinion on this she basically gave me the treatment.

Old
05-04-2014, 07:41 AM
ps241
Gordie Baby ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smelling Salt View Post
I know what you mean. It feels like a bonus to me - unexpected money. If I had just been paid it throughout the year I wouldn't notice it as much.

On a related note, this was my first year claiming daycare. It's a nice perk at tax time to have a kid. But seriously, my wife and I aren't hurting financially and I actually feel guilty claiming things like daycare. I feel that's something that should be stopped at a certain income level and left for the people who really need it. My wife is a Chartered Accountant and when I told her my opinion on this she basically gave me the treatment.
That is very Canadian of you to feel guilt for receiving the same tax benefit you are entitled to as others. Don't blame your wife she wakes up early in the morning working for clients to help them realize all legal taxable benefits and besides she is 100% right in this case

Old
05-04-2014, 11:06 AM
KCjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I mean, just look at our beautiful roadways and fantastic health care system...
I don't ever want to hear a Canadian living in Canada complain about health care. Take it from a Canadian living in the US. I won't elaborate, so as to not get politics too involved in here.

Old
05-04-2014, 01:45 PM
Gm0ney
Wet roads cause rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCjetsfan View Post
I don't ever want to hear a Canadian living in Canada complain about health care. Take it from a Canadian living in the US. I won't elaborate, so as to not get politics too involved in here.
Oh I'm sorry...did you die on a waiting list?

Old
05-04-2014, 02:00 PM
buggs
#freeTrouba

vCash: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCjetsfan View Post
Yeah, sorry, Canada's system has a great many advantages over the U.S. system, no question there. But when you watch a family member denied a drug (not expensive) because "they've had it before", "it's their third time with cancer" and "there's no point now" - all phrases from Canadian medical practitioners mouths - then you tell me not to ***** about it. That's just one story, being older than most on this board I've got plenty more.

Old
05-04-2014, 06:07 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Okay so I have a question...

My iPhone has finally broke. After over a year of a broken power button/lock button, and it continuously crashing it has packed it in. I sent a text and apparently that was all it took. Its been garbage for a year. I can go into more detail if needed

But I have this Apple protection plan warranty. Covering all damage not caused by me. The problem is, the back of the phone is cracked, so they may relate that to the problems I've been having (even though I had been having them before the crack) to the back and say sorry I cant help you.

Anyone have experience with anything like this? Will they turn it away? Because if they do, I will probably have to pay $600 for a new one

Old
05-04-2014, 10:57 PM
irunthepeg
SJQ EPMBOE ‎a

Is it a 5? I saw an article the other day saying they were recalling iPhone 5s (not 5S) with faulty power buttons and ****. I think Apple, in my experience and in many of my friends, is great with customer service and I'd expect them to fix it.

I'm loving my 5S. Had it since October and it's given me no trouble except since this latest iOS update, a lot of times when I get messages, it won't update until I go into my messages app and then it will vibrate and show the blue dot for new messages but it will take a minute before actually showing the new message.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:09 PM
JC Numminen
#goldrush

vCash: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by irunthepeg View Post
Is it a 5? I saw an article the other day saying they were recalling iPhone 5s (not 5S) with faulty power buttons and ****. I think Apple, in my experience and in many of my friends, is great with customer service and I'd expect them to fix it.

I'm loving my 5S. Had it since October and it's given me no trouble except since this latest iOS update, a lot of times when I get messages, it won't update until I go into my messages app and then it will vibrate and show the blue dot for new messages but it will take a minute before actually showing the new message.
Its a 4S.

I've had the opposite experience. The phone has been terrible and I haven't had the best costumer service experience on top of that.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:12 PM
Potrzebie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJet View Post
Okay so I have a question...

My iPhone has finally broke. After over a year of a broken power button/lock button, and it continuously crashing it has packed it in. I sent a text and apparently that was all it took. Its been garbage for a year. I can go into more detail if needed

But I have this Apple protection plan warranty. Covering all damage not caused by me. The problem is, the back of the phone is cracked, so they may relate that to the problems I've been having (even though I had been having them before the crack) to the back and say sorry I cant help you.

Anyone have experience with anything like this? Will they turn it away? Because if they do, I will probably have to pay $600 for a new one
If there's physical damage like that they will usually use it as an excuse to blame you and not cover the repair. They're kind of like insurance companies in that way.

Only one way to find out and doesn't cost anything to ask.

Old
05-04-2014, 11:38 PM
ps241
Gordie Baby ❤️

Flew air Canada a few times lately and as such have been catching up on some movie watching and here are quick reviews:

American Hustle. very well done although I have about 15 minutes of movie left to see....as advertised with a rich plot and great acting. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence were both spectacular and although Chrsitan Bale is a weird flake dude is a genius.

Lone Survivor: saw the 60 minutes documentary on the real life guy and it made me tune in. I have acquired the yips on War movies ever since Saving private Ryan and I often have to leave the theatre from stress (weird). This one is prettty well done considering its limitations of following a true narrative. some pandering but on balance very intense and suspenseful.

True detective: I only saw the first 15 minutes of the pilot episode before my plane landed and I can tell this one is a home run. Not sure when it will be out on NetFlix

Grudge Match: "because I has seen everything else". Kevin Hart and Alan Arkin were both very funny in the movie.....nice light watching after the other material. Kind of a 5 or 6 out of 10 type.

Rush: is a home run effort about the James Hunt Niki Lauda formula 1 rivalry in the 70's. I am by no means a race car fan but this is a must see movie.

Last edited by ps241: 05-05-2014 at 03:21 AM.
Old
05-05-2014, 12:02 AM
StronGeer
Nvr tell me the odds

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
American Hustle. very well done although I have about 15 npminutes of movie left to see....as advertised with a rich plot and great acting. Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence were both spectacular and although Chrsitan Bale is a weird flake dude is a genius.

Rush: is a home run effort about the James Hunt Niki Lauda formula 1 rivalry in the 70's. I am by no means a race car fan but this is a must see movie.
Really? I did not enjoy American Hustle. Mind you I watched it right after watching Wolf of Wall Street so that may be why

And I agree, Rush was fantastic.

Old
05-05-2014, 03:20 AM
ps241
Gordie Baby ❤️

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Really? I did not enjoy American Hustle. Mind you I watched it right after watching Wolf of Wall Street so that may be why

And I agree, Rush was fantastic.
I get where you are coming on from American Hustle because it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea. I wasn't sure I liked it for the first half of the movie but it all started to come together for me as the movie wound down.

Closed Thread