HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ottawa/Pittsburgh Trade Proposal

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
Sting

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman

I wouldn't trade Malone for Redden straight up, let alone Orpik tossed in the mix.

Kraft maybe, Orpik maybe... but Malone?

Way too much crack smoking going on up in Ottawaville.
That crack smoking has at least got us to the playoffs lately

Redden or Malone. Hmm, I wonder who people would rather have on their team in a heartbeat. The answer doesn't start with an M

Old
08-21-2005, 11:08 PM
sensens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryfan29
Now can we please have a intelligent trade disscussion, I (so would alot of other PENS fans) would very much like to have Redden in the Black and Gold next season.
With all due respect, both of those trade offers are simply terrible. Even if we assume that Orpik, Malone & Whitney out of the equation (and I'm really not sure that's the case), Pittsburgh has other attractive young players like Noah Welch and Colby Armstrong that would almost certainly have to come into play.

Again, Chris Pronger was traded for Brewer, Woywitka and Lynch, PLUS he cost Edmonton over $6M/year. I'm not saying that Redden would fetch that much, but it would be considerably more similar to that than the deals you've been proposing.

Old
08-22-2005, 12:31 AM
Release The Lehner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
That crack smoking has at least got us to the playoffs lately

Redden or Malone. Hmm, I wonder who people would rather have on their team in a heartbeat. The answer doesn't start with an M
OOOO OOOO OOOO .... lemme guess! Hmmmmmmmmmmm ....

Could they want the player who led his team with 22 goals and had 43 points (btw last time todd white played 80 games he put up better numbers than that and all he was worth was a 4th round pick)?

Or, could they want the player who had 43 points, and also quaterbacks the powerplay, while logging 30 mins a game and shuts down the oppositions top lines. Lets not forget he's also an assistant captain who plays for the olympic hockey team of the strongest hockey nation in the world.

You know, this is a reluctant choice here, but I think I'm gonna have to give the extremely slim, slight, razor thin, miniscule edge to Redden on this one.

Old
08-22-2005, 03:06 AM
Fleuryfan29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
Try something more like this:

To Ottawa:
- Ryan Malone
- Brooks Orpik

To Pittsburgh:
- Wade Redden
- 3rd round pick
I could up the deal to something like this with out Orpik and Malone.

To Ottawa:
Noah Welch
Colby Armstrong
Rico Fata
3rd rd pick

To Pittsburgh:
Wade Redden**(sign and trade deal)
Jan Platil

**Ottawa would have to sign Wade Redden to a 3 Year Contact with Ottawa picking up the 1st year and Pittsburgh taking on the last 2 years.

Old
08-22-2005, 05:33 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:

To Ottawa:
Noah Welch
Colby Armstrong
Rico Fata
3rd rd pick

To Pittsburgh:
Jan Platil

**Ottawa would have to sign Wade Redden to a 3 Year Contact with Ottawa picking up the 1st year and Pittsburgh taking on the last 2 years.
Well if Ottawa gets Reddens name on a 3 year contract then he is going nowhere. You can take your package somwhere else because I can assure you there would be many teams out there that would give up atleast double what you are offering for Reddens services if he was on the block. And we all know Redden is not on the block.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:26 AM
Safir*

All the sudden Pittsburgh has a team and all the sudden the fans get crazy.

Redden is among the untouchables in Ottawa and you better prepared to let loose one of your untouchables.

When I trade Redden, I expect at least one of the following players in Ottawa.

- Malone (yet to be signed)
- Orpik
- Whitney

BTW Fata and Melichar are crap (I tend to read your board from time to time.)

Old
08-22-2005, 08:36 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
shuts down the oppositions top lines.
Small quibble. Phillips and Chara are the shutdown pairing.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

STOP TRYING TO DUMP RICO FATA.

Remember, he played Junior hockey up here in the OHL.

We know that he's a flashy offensive punk with some of the worst defensive instincts in the game.

If he can't play a regular shift on PITTSBURGH of last season without getting benched, why the heck would you expect him to make our team?

Given the cap constraints the Sens have, he's not worth the half-million of cap space you're paying for him.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:00 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:

To Ottawa:
Noah Welch
Colby Armstrong
Rico Fata
3rd rd pick

To Pittsburgh:
Jan Platil

You're an embarrassment - I'm begging you to stop posting this garbage on this. Ottawa picks up the first year of the deal - are you on freaking crack? None of the players to mention above would even make the Sens.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:02 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Fleuryfan29: your offers simply stink. If you don't want to give to get, then why not you hold on to your players while we enjoy Wade Redden's services, even if it is just for a year.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Bytown

More likely this.

To Pittsburgh
Redden
Smokes

To Ottawa
Leclair
Jackman
2nd rd pick
-------------------------------------

Old
08-22-2005, 09:16 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog2005
More likely this.

To Pittsburgh
Redden
Smokes

To Ottawa
Leclair
Jackman
2nd rd pick
-------------------------------------
John Eclair, the large, lumbering left winger with a big salary and no skating ability?

Jackman, the Maple Leafs cast-off?

Great deal.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Pangu

Yeah, lets give Redden away for Leclair and Jackman. We really need an old LW and a 5th Dman for one of the best Dmen in the game. Even Orpik and Malone together are not worth Redden in my eyes. If you don't think that Redden could put your team over the top or you don't think that he will sign long term, than why would you trade for him?

Old
08-22-2005, 09:21 AM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman

I wouldn't trade Malone for Redden straight up, let alone Orpik tossed in the mix.
Then you are a massive Homer. Reden is easily a top 10 defenseman in the league. Malone is not even close to a top 50 forward, probably not even top 100; Basically a second line player on a weak team.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:36 AM
shadoz19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
Redden for Fleury straight up.

and that's lopsided in favour of Pitt still.
In a cap age thats gotta be pretty close, not if this was the free spending days though.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:17 AM
sensfan18

I'm of the opinion that Whitney would absolutely have to be included, trading a stud d'man like redden, you need to get another d'man back.

Old
08-22-2005, 11:17 AM
Pancake Repairman

How about Brian Pothier, Phillipe Seydoux, Shawn Weller, 3rd round pick, and a 7th round pick for Malkin? Cause that's what these deals look like to me.

Old
08-22-2005, 11:30 AM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake Repairman
How about Brian Pothier, Phillipe Seydoux, Shawn Weller, 3rd round pick, and a 7th round pick for Malkin? Cause that's what these deals look like to me.
Change that to Crosby or we're getting ripped off big time. I wouldn't trade Pothier for Malkin straight up!

Old
08-22-2005, 12:08 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Change that to Crosby or we're getting ripped off big time. I wouldn't trade Pothier for Malkin straight up!
Oh come on...Malkin AND Crosby.

Old
08-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
Oh come on...Malkin AND Crosby.
Now we're talkin!

But really, its funny to go over to their boards and see them talking about Redden as just an average defenseman...average at best in his own zone, etc. Funny, they don't have a d-man even close to Redden and probably never will. Orpik/Whitney in my mind will never be as good, and we all know how Gonchar does in his own zone

So yeah, the trade talks should probably stop.

Old
08-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Now we're talkin!

But really, its funny to go over to their boards and see them talking about Redden as just an average defenseman...average at best in his own zone, etc. Funny, they don't have a d-man even close to Redden and probably never will. Orpik/Whitney in my mind will never be as good, and we all know how Gonchar does in his own zone

So yeah, the trade talks should probably stop.

I never said anything like that. My point was that our dollars are and should be focused on a core of Crosby, Malkin, Mario, Ziggy and Gonchar. Redden is a luxury that we do not need and this team would be stepping back if we committed the type of salary that Redden would command in this cap environment when we have Gonchar, Tarnstrom and Jackman filling the offensive defenseman role. We would be far better served getting a defensive defenseman who is not of Redden's quality but who can fill in and do his job for far less money. In this environment of a Cap the Pens may be among your worst trading partner option for Redden. We can spend the cap space much better elsewhere.

Old
08-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
I never said anything like that. My point was that our dollars are and should be focused on a core of Crosby, Malkin, Mario, Ziggy and Gonchar. Redden is a luxury that we do not need and this team would be stepping back if we committed the type of salary that Redden would command in this cap environment when we have Gonchar, Tarnstrom and Jackman filling the offensive defenseman role. We would be far better served getting a defensive defenseman who is not of Redden's quality but who can fill in and do his job for far less money. In this environment of a Cap the Pens may be among your worst trading partner option for Redden. We can spend the cap space much better elsewhere.
This post is accurate and quite informed.

Old
08-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Sting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
No doubt. I'm a firm believer that no team should express interest in Redden because he'll be here for a long time in my opinion. I just had a bit of a laugh at how people were trying to make Redden look like a bad player...because you can't

Old
08-22-2005, 01:37 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Redden as just an average defenseman...average at best in his own zone, etc.
So why are they so "hot to trot" about getting Redden then if he's only an average dman?

Old
08-22-2005, 03:38 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
Small quibble. Phillips and Chara are the shutdown pairing.
not necessarily true. Redden and his partner were usually used against the faster, smaller top line units, where as phillips and chara would always be used against the thorntons and forsberg types. They shared the shutdown role depending on the lineups thrown at them.

Closed Thread