HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Draft Watch and Discussion V: Sam or Leon?

View Poll Results: Who do you choose at #3(assuming Ekblad is picked)?
Reinhart 93 28.27%
Bennett 146 44.38%
Draisaitl 81 24.62%
Dal Colle 3 0.91%
Ritchie 6 1.82%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2014, 06:24 PM
FlyingV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdayz15 View Post
I'm curious can someone tell me why everyone keeps saying the Oilers are in love with LD was there an interview or something that I missed where this was said?
Pretty sure it was just the edmonton media/radio talking him up because of his "size". Which isn't really a huge asset (aside from his weight) on Bennett (Reinharts just as tall as LD). I think a lot of edmonton media and fans have become obsessed with size and don't realize that LD doesn't actually play with much of a physical edge. He uses his frame to shield the puck and dominate vs much smaller players in Junior. If anyone actually thinks thats going to translate to the NHL (right away at least) they are mistaken. He's basically the same size as Taylor Hall is right now so solid size, but not dominating size like Lucic or Thornton.

Old
04-18-2014, 06:25 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
I'm curious can someone tell me why everyone keeps saying the Oilers are in love with LD was there an interview or something that I missed where this was said?
Have you heard Bob Stauffer for the last month he's only basically talked Drasaitl. Hardly any mention of Bennett or Reinhart. If he brings on "experts" they all conveniently say that Edmonton should take Drasaitl above the other two based on RNH's game.

Last edited by raab: 04-18-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old
04-18-2014, 06:29 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
It's every bit as much as a reach that Draisaitl ends up as a player in the mold of Kopitar. Who else is truly on the same level as Toews and Bergeron in terms of two-way play at that size? Datsyuk? If that's what he is expected to become, he would be a unanimous 1st overall pick in this draft. These comparisons aren't expectations, they are merely just ceilings if everything goes right.

You can nit pick it all you want, but I still stand by it--speed, hockey iq, competitiveness, wrist shot, playmaking abilities, defensive game are more or less similar. 50-60 points while offering a two-way game. Not saying it's cut in stone that this is how he ends up, he could end up better, but it's a more realistic expectation than Toews or Bergeron.

Idk maybe I just hold Toews and Bergeron in higher regard than you

It's not like Bennett doesn't play with anyone either. Ikonen, McKeown, Watson, Kujawinski are no slouches themselves.
I said a less offensive Toews. I think a faster Mike Richards is the perfect comparison. So who makes more sense as a center behind RNH, a Mike Richards or an 50-70 point Jokinen?

Old
04-18-2014, 06:31 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Have you heard Bob Stauffer for the last month he's only basically talked Drasaitl. Hardly any mention of Bennett or Reinhart. If he brings on "experts" they all conveniently say that Edmonton should take Drasaitl above the other two based on RNH's game.
Stauffer was also very sure that we'd take Murray over Yakupov.

Old
04-18-2014, 06:36 PM
FlyingV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Stauffer was also very sure that we'd take Murray over Yakupov.
I was always on the fence about taking Murray, but with the emergence of Marincin and Klefbom of late and the promising looking future of nurse (and the small chance that ekblad falls), I'm quite happy we took Yak. Unlike a lot of people I still think Yak will be a 30+ goal scorer for a long time, I just think he might take a few years to fully figure out his all around game.

Old
04-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I really like the idea of Perron-Bennett-Yak as a line. My god that would be a handful to deal with.

Old
04-18-2014, 06:38 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
It depends on who you talk to, but generally the consensus seems to be that the OHL is slightly stronger than the WHL, which is again slightly stronger than the QMJHL. I think that there is quite a bit of parity between the three in the CHL. If you look at the Memorial cups and where the best teams have come from for the past 15 years, there is no difference in terms of championships:

OHL 5 championships
WHL 5 championships
QMJHL 5 championships

The OHL gets the most attention from the media and scouts. According to Paul Krotz (2011), "In total since 1969 the CHL has had 4,886 players selected representing over 50% of all players drafted with 2,072 from the OHL (21.2%), 1,795 from the WHL (18.4%), and 1,019 from the QMJHL (10.4%). Source:http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...-draft-numbers

My question: I'd be interested to know if the relative size of the leagues (i.e., the number of teams) has had anything to do with the numbers of NHL drafted players, as opposed to the actual quality of the leagues themselves. I know that the WHL is now, with the recent expansion, currently the biggest league with 22 teams (17 Canadian) and the OHL has 20 teams, while the QMJHL has only 18 teams. Historically, I think the OHL has had the most teams, which may account for the historical percentages of NHL drafted players.
Excellent post and thanks for the perspective. I have watched a bunch of junior hockey across Canada and based on what I've seen my personal opinion is that the OHL is a cut above.

I would discount the Memorial Cup argument because you're taking single team from the league. Depending on the league, sometimes the team is completely loaded up, sometimes the talent is distributed throughout the league. I'm not surprised that there is equity on that front - the host league has two entries - that's double the chance to win, especially when you're talking about single elimination games (which as a format doesn't necessarily mean the best team will win). Finally, the path a team takes to the Memorial Cup can wear them down. Our friends from London will tell you that's why they haven't performed well in the last two cups.

I think your statistics prove my point - over a period of time 2.8 basis points (15.2%) more is significant. Moreover the very best players out of the CHL are usually from either the OHL, with the outliers coming from the QMJHL. I think it has to do with two things:

a) The size of the population feeding the leagues. There are probably 5X as many people feeding the OHL than the other two leagues that are probably similar population bases.

b) The style of play. The WHL focuses on physical play more than the other two leagues, perhaps to the detriment of the other skills. Without exaggeration, I will usually see two - three hits a game at the Oil Kings that would have not only been penalties in the OHL, but suspensions, go unpunished (no penalty at all) in the WHL.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:02 PM
bdayz15

This really reminds me of the RNH-Landeskog draft.. We took the more cerebral in RNH and I still think in the long run he'll turn out to be better than Landeskog but for Colorado Landeskog brings the intangibles and a demention that the Oilers just don't have right now. I'm not saying Bennett will bring that next year but if we have the chance to take a player that brings it every night it's a no brainer. All I've been hearing everyone talk about (mainly Ferraro) is the forward mix is way off in Edmonton and now we have a great opportunity to add a player our organization just doesn't have right now.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
I'm liking the idea of Bennett, too. Seems safer than Draisaitl. But, I don't really have a clue. Only hearsay.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:29 PM
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

vCash: 665
Quote:
I said a less offensive Toews. I think a faster Mike Richards is the perfect comparison. So who makes more sense as a center behind RNH, a Mike Richards or an 50-70 point Jokinen?
I still don't think Bennett will ever match (or at least it is very unlikely that he ever does) the defensive prowess that Toews and Bergeron possess.

Jokinen still isn't the best comparison imo, I liken him more to someone like Thomas Vanek.

Now who makes more sense behind RNH? Both work, both offer things that RNH doesn't. What's more important, imo, is who can bring the best out of Yakupov to give us some scoring from the second line.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:31 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
This really reminds me of the RNH-Landeskog draft.. We took the more cerebral in RNH and I still think in the long run he'll turn out to be better than Landeskog but for Colorado Landeskog brings the intangibles and a demention that the Oilers just don't have right now. I'm not saying Bennett will bring that next year but if we have the chance to take a player that brings it every night it's a no brainer. All I've been hearing everyone talk about (mainly Ferraro) is the forward mix is way off in Edmonton and now we have a great opportunity to add a player our organization just doesn't have right now.
Precisely why I lean more towards Bennett than Reinhart, even tho the latter is probably the better offensive player.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:35 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
I still don't think Bennett will ever match (or at least it is very unlikely that he ever does) the defensive prowess that Toews and Bergeron possess.

Jokinen still isn't the best comparison imo, I liken him more to someone like Thomas Vanek.

Now who makes more sense behind RNH? Both work, both offer things that RNH doesn't. What's more important, imo, is who can bring the best out of Yakupov to give us some scoring from the second line.
Your comparing Drasaitl to an elite goalscorer? Also I think Drasaitl's game would look better on the wing which I already said. Won't be surprised if he's converted over from center.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:48 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I really like the idea of Perron-Bennett-Yak as a line. My god that would be a handful to deal with.
Are they playing hockey in a rink made for ants?

Old
04-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
I'm liking the idea of Bennett, too. Seems safer than Draisaitl. But, I don't really have a clue. Only hearsay.
I would agree. The size isn't enough to pick Draisaitl over Bennett IMO. If Bennett was like 5'10 170 right now it's a different story. Draisaitl's skating worries me a bit and Bennett plays a tougher game than him anyways. It's so obvious who we should be taking.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:57 PM
desperateblue

Maybe this yr is the year to trade the pick.
Considering the best players available are goin to be forwards and you need some d.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:58 PM
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow

vCash: 665
Quote:
Your comparing Drasaitl to an elite goalscorer? Also I think Drasaitl's game would look better on the wing which I already said. Won't be surprised if he's converted over from center.
Yes, mostly because of size and the way they use it--they protect the puck in a very similar way. They also aren't the greatest skaters. They also both have good shots, capable of nifty little passes, good hands. Still not the greatest comparison as Vanek is shoot first, and Draisaitl is pass first, but I could see Draisaitl having a similar impact in the NHL. Mostly 60 point (25g35a) seasons, flirt with 70-80 points a couple of times. It's difficult coming up with a realistic comparable for Draisaitl.

Old
04-18-2014, 07:59 PM
JamalKingsbury

The trouble with Drafting Ekblad is the amount of rookie-ish D we have on the backend. Could be big or could be a HUGE learning season -again.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by desperateblue View Post
Considering the best players available are goin to be forwards and you need some d.
Let the eastern media convince you some more. Like has been said a billion times our Center depth is anemic and we are VERY happy to be able to grab one of the centers in this draft, we have plenty of Top 6 D prospects but no player looking like a top 6 C.

Plus another D prospect does nothing we need experience.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:03 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
It's amazing how much this gets thrown around on hf boards The oilers actually have a much deeper stable of D prospects than forward. Now they're not gonna turn down ekblad mind you, but we need some high caliber center prospects as well.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:19 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Included in a package for a top established D, definitely. For a possible top pairing D with potential, absolutely not. Our prospect pool sucks for C depth, our NHL D sucks, so let's address the NHL team. Our D prospects need some decent NHL D to shield them.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:23 PM
desperateblue

I wasnt tryin to start anything or rip on your team.
Just saying as a non oilers fan that has watched alot of oulers games and tv specials that this might be a good time to trade a pick and get more than one nhl ready asset.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:30 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
I wasnt tryin to start anything or rip on your team.
Just saying as a non oilers fan that has watched alot of oulers games and tv specials that this might be a good time to trade a pick and get more than one nhl ready asset.
Suggesting to most Oilers fans on this board to part with the teams top prospects/youth usually results in a lot of hate. Verbeek made a great point though that the mix is really bad and some deals need to be made. Moving the pick would be a great start as this years pick won't be a big help for likely 2-3 seasons.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:35 PM
GMofOilers

The thing is this draft really isn't that great. The top end is a lot weaker than previous years.

I'm not expecting a Getzlaf or a kopitar or a toews. These players are a long ways from that.

Now anything could happen but I'm not really that excited, I have always been a BPA but we gotta pick a player this year that helps our team in the future.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:38 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
The thing is this draft really isn't that great. The top end is a lot weaker than previous years.

I'm not expecting a Getzlaf or a kopitar or a toews. These players are a long ways from that.

Now anything could happen but I'm not really that excited, I have always been a BPA but we gotta pick a player this year that helps our team in the future.
I'll be excited if we get Ekblad or Bennett. If we have to choose Reinhart, it'll be alright, but I won't be particularly excited. If the Oilers do something stupid, and trade down for lesser prospects, then, well, I definitely won't be surprised.

Old
04-18-2014, 08:42 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
In 2-3 yrs when yak and Bennett are ready Perron will be a UFA.....I hope and pray that MacTs answer to the #2C spot is not a 18yr old or someone in the organization other then RNH".......we need to start letting these kids grow up and become men in the CHL and AHL and not the NHL?...it will be better for all involved to stop rushing players to the NHL and hoping they can compete against men

Closed Thread