HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason edition v1.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
And by that time Sal will be off the books (at least on this deal) and Volch will only have one year left if he's still here. They really have very few people signed beyond '15-16 total atm (just Henrique and Zajac I think), they can remake the team whatever way they want.
Having a few people signed is not a good thing...it is uncertainty. It's not like there are tons of kids waiting to fill positions. A Ufa means 1 of 3 things...1. You resign him 2. You replace him with a UFA 3. You replace him with a kid.

1 and 2 are always more expensive and we don't have much of 3, at least not at forward...if Merrill can play top 4 minutes on his ELC over the next 2 years that would help a lot.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:35 PM
TaiMaiShu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I just don't see how Lou doesn't supplement the roster next year.

It doesn't make sense to roll with what they have. Don't fire the coach and don't bring in anything new? For a team that missed the playoffs? I don't believe it.
He will. My optomism right now is a Gelinas trade. Even though he's only had 60 games, remember Bergfors had something like 52 games before he was traded. Unfortunately, Waddell isn't around anymore right?

Also, its becoming more evident that Clowe won't outlive his contract.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:39 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Let's see if Lou moves bodies at the draft...if he doesn't then the head scratching begins.

Without CBGB resigning there is currently ONE spot available in the top 9 if Zubrus moves to the 4th line.
There's going to be at least 1 more spot open. I would be shocked if both Ryder and Brunner are on this team next fall. I'm not discounting Zubrus getting moved either.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:39 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Having a few people signed is not a good thing...it is uncertainty. It's not like there are tons of kids waiting to fill positions. A Ufa means 1 of 3 things...1. You resign him 2. You replace him with a UFA 3. You replace him with a kid.

1 and 2 are always more expensive and we don't have much of 3, at least not at forward...if Merrill can play top 4 minutes on his ELC over the next 2 years that would help a lot.
I'm not saying it's a good thing entirely (although if the currently roster clearly isn't good enough to win why would it be a bad thing not to be tied down with crappy long-term deals?), I'm saying we're not going to be tied down by a couple 'extra' million on one contract since there's obviously payroll space enough to sign Schnieder/Greene and fill in ELC's and other outside acquisitions.

And I forgot about Clowe, he's signed for four more years too so that makes three...sadly HE probably won't last beyond 14-15 for cap purposes though.

Last edited by NJDevs26: 04-16-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old
04-16-2014, 09:40 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Clowe at all next season.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
TaiMaiShu

Which really sucks. He's basically reached Savard status with his latest concussion.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyk9 View Post
Let's see if Lou moves bodies at the draft...if he doesn't then the head scratching begins.

Without CBGB resigning there is currently ONE spot available in the top 9 if Zubrus moves to the 4th line.
Well Ruutu can go 4th line as well imo.

But I think the future of CBGB will be a good bellweather. Those guys were a major disapointment this past season, and all are UFA's so imo it makes so much sense to let them walk, sign top 6 guys and then move current top 6 guys down the ladder.

But yeah, I expect some trades also.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
He will. My optomism right now is a Gelinas trade. Even though he's only had 60 games, remember Bergfors had something like 52 games before he was traded. Unfortunately, Waddell isn't around anymore right?

Also, its becoming more evident that Clowe won't outlive his contract.
I'm not sure Gelinas is a lost cause. I think it was evident long before Bergfors was traded that he was going to have a problem staying in this league.

But I'd listen to offers ...I'm just not sure he could return much.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:48 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
It'd also be pretty bad payroll management to move guys like Ruutu/Zubrus down to the fourth line, fourth-liners don't make $3 million plus and realistically nobody else is moving down there. You're not replacing CBGB with top-liners, you gotta have some cheap grinders as your last forwards (as much as we make fun of Pete overusing them).

Old
04-16-2014, 09:48 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Parisechuk View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see Clowe at all next season.
I concur. Just the way he plays the game, throwing his body around and dropping the gloves, HE WILL get another one.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:52 PM
TaiMaiShu

Quote:
It'd also be pretty bad payroll management to move guys like Ruutu/Zubrus down to the fourth line, fourth-liners don't make $3 million plus and realistically nobody else is moving down there. You're not replacing CBGB with top-liners, you gotta have some cheap grinders as your last forwards (as much as we make fun of Pete overusing them).
With Clowe's uncertainty we might have to keep them.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:54 PM
TaiMaiShu

Quote:
I'm not sure Gelinas is a lost cause. I think it was evident long before Bergfors was traded that he was going to have a problem staying in this league.

But I'd listen to offers ...I'm just not sure he could return much.
Well I think it's safe to say he would be the one preferred to be traded out of all the young defenseman. I'd dangle him, the 1st, Boucher/Matteau and any existing contract outside of Zajac/Henrique/Greene/Schneider/Elias.

Old
04-16-2014, 09:59 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
If you can find cheap options at other spots in the lineup, then we can manage. And Jagr at $4 mil leading point scorer, and Henrique at $4 mil leading goal scorer are good examples. As would be young players if JJ could ever gain a foot hold, or if Boucher or Matteau make the jump, or if we trade a young d-man for a young fwd.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
Well I think it's safe to say he would be the one preferred to be traded out of all the young defense man.
Sure, but I do find his skill set combined with his size so enticing that I'm really fearful to give up on him too soon. There is too much raw talent there to not be patient and be wrong.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:03 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Well I think it's safe to say he would be the one preferred to be traded out of all the young defenseman. I'd dangle him, the 1st, Boucher/Matteau and any existing contract outside of Zajac/Henrique/Greene/Schneider/Elias.
I still see Gelinas as having a real high ceiling. And with all the young two way d-men in the org, as well as defensive first options I'm a little reluctant to trade the dynamic offensive force that is Gelinas.

And it also depends on the potential return of each of the respective d-men. If Merrill or Larsson bring back a significantly better return then maybe it makes sense to trade either of those guys.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:05 PM
devilsblood

Quote:
Sure, but I do find his skill set combined with his size so enticing that I'm really fearful to give up on him too soon. There is too much raw talent there to not be patient and be wrong.
ya, saying the same above, and given his size and skating, very possible he becomes a solid d-man. combine that with his offensive capabilities and you really have something.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

If it were up to me the only two players I would consider untouchable are Henrique and Merrill.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:08 PM
TaiMaiShu

It's a tough situation but my rationale is to take a gamble on a trade that can give us a relatively established forward. As opposed to overpay for someone like Stastny.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
It's a tough situation but my rationale is to take a gamble on a trade that can give us a relatively established forward. As opposed to overpay for someone like Stastny.
Well I bet you would be able to lure a few GM's with Gelinas' skill set but to what extent is the real question.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:16 PM
TaiMaiShu

Another problem we might see is waiver problems with these 3. I doubt this team will ever try to work in 3 kids on defense so another reason for the trade route.

Old
04-16-2014, 10:20 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

Quote:
Another problem we might see is waiver problems with these 3. I doubt this team will ever try to work in 3 kids on defense so another reason for the trade route.
That is a real good point. One or more would probably have their own seat in the pressbox.

Old
04-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Devs4L

I wouldn't trade Merrill for, really, anything. He's going to be a top pairing d-man for us for a lot of years. Besides him, I'd be willing to trade any one of the other young d-men in a deal for a young, at least somewhat established forward.

I wouldn't let what Gelinas, or any of them, might become with another team scare me off from trading one of them. I look at our own defense, without Gelinas for example - hopefully we can keep Greene and Fayne around for the next 4-5 years - and combined with Merrill, Larsson, and then possibly Severson and Santini in a few years...there's still enough their to form at least an excellent top 4. Pieces could still be added via free agency or trade if we needed bottom pairing d-men or depth guys too.

So if you're confident with your own d, and the future of it, and you're getting a potential top 6, young forward back in a deal, what a d-man becomes for another team wouldn't bother me.

Last edited by Devs4L: 04-16-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old
04-16-2014, 11:18 PM
CerebralGenesis

I don't think Gelinas would return enough to make that risk of losing out on his offense worth it.

Merrill and Larsson are both open game though.

Old
04-16-2014, 11:29 PM
TaiMaiShu

Quote:
Originally Posted by devs4L View Post
I wouldn't trade Merrill for, really, anything. He's going to be a top pairing d-man for us for a lot of years. Besides him, I'd be willing to trade any one of the other young d-men in a deal for a young, at least somewhat established forward.

I wouldn't let what Gelinas, or any of them, might become with another team scare me off from trading one of them. I look at our own defense, without Gelinas for example - hopefully we can keep Greene and Fayne around for the next 4-5 years - and combined with Merrill, Larsson, and then possibly Severson and Santini in a few years...there's still enough their to form at least an excellent top 4. Pieces could still be added via free agency or trade if we needed bottom pairing d-men or depth guys too.

So if you're confident with your own d, and the future of it, and you're getting a potential top 6, young forward back in a deal, what a d-man becomes for another team wouldn't bother me.
This I agree with, and would gladly take the risk.

Here's some fun history:

Colin White- 96 2nd rounder
Sheldon Souray- 94 3rd rounder
Mike Commodore- 99 2nd rounder

Not exactly back to back to back drafts like we have currently but Lou was able to make good in keeping Whitey while trading Souray for Malakhov and Commodore as part of the Sykie trade for Friesen and Tverdosky.

Even going back further we had Jason Smith, 1st rounder in 92 that helped us land Doug Gilmour.

Lou has done pretty well when it comes to trading, no?

Old
04-16-2014, 11:30 PM
TaiMaiShu

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I don't think Gelinas would return enough to make that risk of losing out on his offense worth it.

Merrill and Larsson are both open game though.
If it helps us get a guy like Kane, it's worth it. What if Gelinas turns into Foster, or MAB, or a Cam Barker? I'd rather keep the safer prospects that can log big minutes, than someone who can just rack up points from the backend.

Last edited by TaiMaiShu: 04-16-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Closed Thread