HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Discussion (All Team/Player News/UFA Talk) - Offseason edition v1.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2014, 11:56 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

vCash: 500
see thats the problem, you guys are expecting Cory Schneider to be Martin Brodeur (arguably the best goalie ever) in his prime. That is not going to happen. The sooner you can all realize that, the happier you'll be.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:04 PM
DevilsJunkie

And that's a valid criticism. But, how about expecting him to make saves like Crawford, Quick, and other make? At the times those goaltenders make them? Is that unreasonable?

Old
04-17-2014, 12:11 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsJunkie View Post
And that's a valid criticism. But, how about expecting him to make saves like Crawford, Quick, and other make? At the times those goaltenders make them? Is that unreasonable?
I'm not even sure what "at the times those goaltenders make them" even means. you're just making things up for the sake of being vague.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Devils86

Here are the goalies I would personally take over CS...Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Bobrovosky, Quick, Miller. So thats 6 IMO. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to pay him 6 mil..and yes you are paying a bit for potential than performance but that goes with the territory.

And I would look into a trade that began with Kane for Larrson, both were 4th overall choices and both really need a change of scenery. Those who don;t think that both sides aren't to tally frustrated with the Devs/AL situation has not been paying attention

Old
04-17-2014, 12:16 PM
RSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Here are the goalies I would personally take over CS...Rask, Price, Lundqvist, Bobrovosky, Quick, Miller. So thats 6 IMO. Can't see why anyone wouldn't want to pay him 6 mil..and yes you are paying a bit for potential than performance but that goes with the territory.

And I would look into a trade that began with Kane for Larrson, both were 4th overall choices and both really need a change of scenery. Those who don;t think that both sides aren't to tally frustrated with the Devs/AL situation has not been paying attention
Jets need LHD not RHD. Can't see them wanting Larsson. Gelinas ++ for Kane maybe. No way I'd trade Merrill though.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
vtdevils2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zajacs Bowl Cut View Post
see thats the problem, you guys are expecting Cory Schneider to be Martin Brodeur (arguably the best goalie ever) in his prime. That is not going to happen. The sooner you can all realize that, the happier you'll be.
That's the issue. People can't get over the fact that Martin Brodeur has aged and that anyone who takes over will "live up to him."

Look at the stats and his play minus the shootouts which he got better at the last game and I still think no matter who was in net, we would have lost the same number because the team could NOT score period.

How many people from other teams especially Canucks fans have come on here telling us Devils fans how fortunate we are to have the guy? Why do people hate on him so much? I don't get it? Are people thinking that with Pete's system and how we play defense, we could put in Ray Emery or Pavlec and they'd become top 10 goalies too and we wouldn't miss a beat?

Old
04-17-2014, 12:17 PM
DevilsJunkie

Didn't realize I was being vague. Especially since I specifically called out a time in the game (the shootout) when a save needed to be made. Guys like Crawford, Quick, and Rask have won in the recent past. While the teams in front of them are better than the teams in front of Schneider, there are still those moments in a game - due to a turnover or missed assignment, etc. - that they are called upon to make a save. Schneider wasn't nearly consistent in this regard.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:18 PM
vtdevils2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeen View Post
Jets need LHD not RHD. Can't see them wanting Larsson. Gelinas ++ for Kane maybe. No way I'd trade Merrill though.
Good thinking though. Lou's gotta be creative and get top, young talent in here this summer.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:20 PM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSeen View Post
They are going to try hard to move Dustin B...the other RH D are ave players....Larrson could def step in. Plus RHD are kinda like LHP..even if you dont need them you need them

Old
04-17-2014, 12:21 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Didn't realize I was being vague. Especially since I specifically called out a time in the game (the shootout) when a save needed to be made. Guys like Crawford, Quick, and Rask have won in the recent past. While the teams in front of them are better than the teams in front of Schneider, there are still those moments in a game - due to a turnover or missed assignment, etc. - that they are called upon to make a save. Schneider wasn't nearly consistent in this regard.
so you're saying you hate schneider?

Old
04-17-2014, 12:26 PM
Big PP

Corey's a fine goalie. If he stays with the devils, i think he can win a few Vezina's in his prime. He's never going to be as good as Marty but he has a the mental make up and skill of a top flight goalie in this league. I know Lou wouldnt have traded such a high pick if he didnt think otherwise.

Personally i would only take Rask, Price and Lundqvist over him if age and everything else was taken into account.

I hope Lou can resign him quick. Anything around 8/50-56, i would be fine with.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:26 PM
RSeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
They are going to try hard to move Dustin B...the other RH D are ave players....Larrson could def step in. Plus RHD are kinda like LHP..even if you dont need them you need them
Buf has been playing forward. They already have Trouba and Bogosian as their top 2 RD's. Guessing they would prefer a LHD but who knows.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:33 PM
TaiMaiShu

Only goalies clear cut above Cory is Lundy Quick Miller and Rask.

Guys like Bob Price and even Varlomov are all in the same tier ad Cory.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Smitty426

Cant move the 1st round pick ... but

... I know Lou would get skewered by the league, but if made a pick @ 30 and then traded that pick before the season started with a pkg of other assets for a top line winger. Its skirted what they are allowed but within the rules. Yes I know it wont happen but it is so Lou!

Old
04-17-2014, 12:40 PM
DevilsJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
so you're saying you hate schneider?
Absolutely not. I agree with the poster that states very few goalies are clearly superior to Schneider at this time. Schneider did fairly well in a difficult situation. I just think he can be even better.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:43 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Quote:
when we go 4 for 45 or whatever the hell it was in the shootout, I'm not blaming the goalie, sorry.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Oneiro

I think Schneider will be one of the top three goalies in the league for a long time.

Then again, I was happy we did that trade as soon as Bettman announced it.

There are a lot of potential UFAs in the summer of 2015. Might be wise to not lock ourselves into someone this summer. Maybe Statsny, but no one else of that magnitude.

Last edited by Oneiro: 04-17-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old
04-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

theres nothing the NHL can do to prevent us from trading whomever we select at 30.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:50 PM
DevilsJunkie

Quote:
when we go 4 for 45 or whatever the hell it was in the shootout, I'm not blaming the goalie, sorry.
C'mon now. There were certainly instances where Schneider was atrocious; where it wouldn't have mattered if the shooters scored 1 or a couple.

Old
04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

sure Schneider sucks in the SO but I wouldn't go rushing out to find a starter who is specifically good at a gimmick.

Old
04-17-2014, 01:01 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
I've been against bringing Zidlicky back, but putting up 42 points in 81 games from the backend on this dumpster fire of an offense is impressive.

If we can somehow get rid of BOTH Volch and Salvador, I have no problem bringing Zidlicky back.
Compliance-Buyout Volch
Regular Buyout Salvador.

Problem solved.

Old
04-17-2014, 01:06 PM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Compliance-Buyout Volch
Regular Buyout Salvador.

Problem solved.
would very much like that

doubt it though

Old
04-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Wingman77
Glory Days

Quote:
C'mon now. There were certainly instances where Schneider was atrocious; where it wouldn't have mattered if the shooters scored 1 or a couple.
You dont win games if you dont score goals

I cant believe this is even a discussion

Only on hf

Old
04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
NC107*

Quote:
Wasn't that the same for Marty. Both had bad games but most losses were due to lack of scoring because of lack of offensive talent.

Why are we debating this now?

Old
04-17-2014, 02:04 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Absolutely not. I agree with the poster that states very few goalies are clearly superior to Schneider at this time. Schneider did fairly well in a difficult situation. I just think he can be even better.
sooooo...you hate him. got it.

(this time I'll include a lol)

Closed Thread