HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New laces nightmare!

Old
04-11-2014, 03:33 PM
AntsSheffield

vCash: 500
New laces nightmare!

So, I thought my old laces were looking a bit raggy and I bought some new Prolace ones. I put em on my skates tonight for LTP, and what a nightmare! Simultaneously made my skates too rigid and too loose and restricted my ankle flexibility a load.

Basically I reckon what had happened was my old laces had stretched and gained some elasticity and made my skates feel really well worn in. The new laces had no give and made my skates feel brand new.

Who'd a thunk it'd make so much difference?!

Anyone else had this? Tell me I'm not crazy.

AntsSheffield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Pacifist Goon

Never had a problem with any laces per se, new or old, just how I do them up or tighten them. Some days it's spot on and other days I just don't seem to get them right; and my skating is affected accordingly. You can play around and sort it if you are just skating, but it's harder to adjust, fix it or get it right during a game.

That's the biggest part of my pre- game ritual, getting my laces right; and I pretty much know how my day is going to go from my walk out to the ice from the locker room.

Tried wax laces after perusing these boards and they made a big improvement in that there's less change or slippage in the tightening while you're skating, so don't need to adjust or re-tighten once you do get it right.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 03:59 PM
AntsSheffield

I shoulda tested em out on a few public skates before trying to play in em, I guess.

Might be the biggest problem was that they were really tight across the top hole, which I wasn't used to, and it really affected my ankle flex.

Old
04-12-2014, 12:42 AM
intangible

Same thing happens to me when I have to replace my laces.. it's like I forget how it was all nicely tight or loose in areas, and it takes me 5-10 skates to figure it all back out. Drives me nuts.

intangible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 09:44 AM
damack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
I shoulda tested em out on a few public skates before trying to play in em, I guess.

Might be the biggest problem was that they were really tight across the top hole, which I wasn't used to, and it really affected my ankle flex.
I had the exact same issue. The new laces didn't have any give. Now when I'm lacing them up, I flex my ankle so my knee is over my toe (without shinpads) and do them up tight there. That gives me enough movement.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Did you replace unwaxed with waxed laces? That would screw me up.

I know it's silly, but I like to find the Bauer unwaxed laces because they don't have as much stretch to them, and are more predictable when lacing up.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 11:09 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Did you replace unwaxed with waxed laces? That would screw me up.
I went from waxed laces that had lost their wax to new waxed ones. The old ones had got pretty stretchy and I needed to use a lace puller, tightening them 2 or 3 times to get them right. The new ones have no give at all and could be done up by hand. I went back to the old laces after my experience last week. I'll get the new ones in again and give em another go, but this time leave plenty of public skates before playing to get used to them.

Old
04-16-2014, 11:16 AM
damack

I recently used Elite Prolaces and at the recommendation of my LHS when I bought my last pair of skates went to Lowry waxed laces. I found the Elite laces to be thin and very rigid especially after a month of so of use. The guy at the LHS said they tend to cause issues digging in, whereas a wider lace is a bit more compliant. I'm using the Lowry laces now and find them much better, they are indeed wider, don't feel as stiff but still stay tensioned as you'd expect from a waxed lace.

damack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 10:42 PM
JulianHopper*

I've used E-lite Pro laces before and they are a little thin for my liking.

I like the Lowry ones cause they're thicker and give you that better tightness. I replace my laces when they start to stretch to much.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote