HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Upgrading skates

Old
05-05-2014, 11:01 PM
mzungu

vCash: 500
Upgrading skates

Hey guys!

It's been 3 months of learn-to-play and learn-to-skate for me. Very significant improvement has been noticed and I'm so in love with playing hockey that my wife is getting jealous, but whatever.

My questions is: I'm skating in Bauer Vapor X2.0, which I got on clearance on hockey monkey. More experienced players told me to upgrade my skates so I could feel the difference between cheap and not so ceap skate. So far those cheap Bauers worked great for me, but I've never skated in skates over $100. I'm considering to get Reebok 16K (one dude at my practice told that they are pretty awesome). So any advice on Reeboks or any other brand would be much appreciated. I plan to spend 250-300$.

Thank you.

mzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 11:25 PM
AIREAYE

Why don't you read over the skate thread.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:11 AM
Pacifist Goon

I upgraded today. Went in with some idea of what I was after and after getting measured up and speaking with the guy came out with something I hadn't contemplated or considered. Under budget and no complaints.

Feels like Christmas, I get to be the big kid but I have to be the Santa too.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 10:15 AM
mzungu

Sounds awesome! What did you get? And what you were using before that?

mzungu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:09 PM
PlayoffBeard365

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzungu View Post
Hey guys!

I'm considering to get Reebok 16K (one dude at my practice told that they are pretty awesome). So any advice on Reeboks or any other brand would be much appreciated. I plan to spend 250-300$.

Thank you.
I too have been playing for only 3-4 months and just upgraded from used Reebok 7k to new Reebok 16k skates. Bought them yesterday from HockeyMonkey. $180.00 plus shipping ($198.00 total with ground) with a 20% OFF code I can't recall the code I used. It was something like SPRINGCLEAN… Do a google search and and you will find one that works. Also google Reebok skate fit guide to match up your shoe size.

Ive been very happy with my 7k's and the use of the pump. Everything I read from HFB and gear websites are uber positive on the 16ks so I jumped on them at that cost.

Im keeping my 7k's for the break-in period and for back up. Also, I have heard mixed reviews on baking Reeboks because of the bladder. Im not going to bake as my 7ks are very comfy without. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by PlayoffBeard365: 05-06-2014 at 01:15 PM.
PlayoffBeard365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 01:31 PM
Pacifist Goon

X70's. Have reasonably big feet and read that the Vapor range were pretty narrow fitting, so they weren't even on the radar. The 11EE felt pretty comfortable and seemed to address all my reasons for upgrading. The good thing is I told the guy what I was prepared to spend and he didn't try to go to or exceed my limit, but went a few hundred under. Have an inkling he may have been wanting to clear some old stock, but that's a win/win by any measure.

Was on a pair of new but older Custom 3000's that I picked up for a song at the start of the year. They were super stiff and just didn't want to break in right for me so had been taping the inside if my heels and finishing up in discomfort when skating.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2014, 04:48 PM
doobie604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzungu View Post
Hey guys!

It's been 3 months of learn-to-play and learn-to-skate for me. Very significant improvement has been noticed and I'm so in love with playing hockey that my wife is getting jealous, but whatever.

My questions is: I'm skating in Bauer Vapor X2.0, which I got on clearance on hockey monkey. More experienced players told me to upgrade my skates so I could feel the difference between cheap and not so ceap skate. So far those cheap Bauers worked great for me, but I've never skated in skates over $100. I'm considering to get Reebok 16K (one dude at my practice told that they are pretty awesome). So any advice on Reeboks or any other brand would be much appreciated. I plan to spend 250-300$.

Thank you.
If Vapors fit you well, you should stick with that line, RBKs fit wider. The Vapor X6.0 is on sale at hockey monkey, it's almost top of the line at a pretty good price if you can find your size. X7.0 is on sale as well, it's same as the old X60 or new X:90 or 100 can't remember which, but it might be too stiff for somebody just starting out.

doobie604 is offline   Reply With Quote