HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > Mock Drafts
Mock Drafts Mock drafts for fun and fantasy here.

The Canucks have the most difficult pick in the 2014 draft

Old
04-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Gamble9

vCash: 500
where they are they certainly have the most options imo making it a harder pick. That being said I think their in a position where options isn't a bad thing I've heard that they think Boston will be their mold if so I expect them to draft Virtanen or Ritchie. if I'm making the pick though I'd go with Nylander

Gamble9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 11:22 AM
Nuck This

I think the Canucks will end up with Ott's 10th. Kesler will be a Duck. It'll make the choice a little easier. Ritchie with the 6th and then with the 10th they take the skilled guy. Nylander/Ehlers/Virtanen or Kapanen

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

There's no way the top 5 are set. Every team's draft board is going to look drastically different.

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 11:10 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sartorial View Post
There's no way the top 5 are set. Every team's draft board is going to look drastically different.
I tend to agree. The Canucks may actually end up with one of the easier picks as it is unlikely that the top 5 goes as predicted. If it does go as predicted then the choice will likely be between Ehlers, Ritchie and Nylander with not a lot of separation between those three.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
I think the Canucks will end up with Ott's 10th. Kesler will be a Duck. It'll make the choice a little easier. Ritchie with the 6th and then with the 10th they take the skilled guy. Nylander/Ehlers/Virtanen or Kapanen
based on what? hfboard approved trades?

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:44 PM
VoicexOfxReason
you cant do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosnyi View Post
though I agree with you on Ritchie not being boston's two-way, grind it out hockey because he makes far too many dumb penalties etc; I don't like ehlers either, he's small and his numbers are inflated by drouin (40 points while drouin was part of the play) but I still see van taking him out of the risk for high reward.
Ehlers' numbers are not inflated by Drouin. This is an indication you dont know much about this prospect.

In any case Vancouver would be wise to draft Ehlers.

VoicexOfxReason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 09:47 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
Exactly. Every team has their own board and they may look quite different from each other. "Consensus picks" exist on HFboards and in the media not for GM's. The Canucks will pick the next available player on their board at 6th, no more difficult than any other pick.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:54 AM
arsmaster

Unpopular opinion, but since it's been speculated that they'll move Kesler to the DUcks for 10th overall, I'd have no problems loading up on beef.

Ritchie 6th and Virtanen 10th.

You start out with this, while adding on to Horvat, Kassian, Gaunce, Fox, you can afford to take big swings in later rounds. Such as your Brayden Point's, Tkachev's.

The "Boston Model" being all about size is completely overblown. but that said the best teams in the West are lead by huge bodies. Sharks have Marleau, Thornton,Hertl and Burns in their top 6....which to me is the foundation for the success Couture and Pavelski. Good players but extremely favourable situation to be put in.

Ducks as well, they only get to where Getzlaf and Perry lead them.

Kings - Kopitar, Carter, and Brown plays a lot bigger than he is (or at least used to).

Speed and skilled size is the name of the playoffs so far for me.

I'd love a chance to add both burgeoning PWF's to a lineup that has turned the other cheek for far too long.

It's easier to make it as a smaller player when you're surrounded by skilled size.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:46 PM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

I think it obviously comes to someone falling. Or Ritchie, Kapanen, Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers. I think Nylander and Ritchie are the best of the group though Ehlers is enticing.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Chan790

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Unpopular opinion, but since it's been speculated that they'll move Kesler to the Ducks for 10th overall, I'd have no problems loading up on beef.

Ritchie 6th and Virtanen 10th.
If you take Ritchie 6th, I suspect Carolina takes Virtanen 7th.

Actually, while Canes fans prefer Ritchie and Ehlers and I want Fleury...I wouldn't be surprised if the Canes FO preferred Virtanen. He's everything they said they wanted this off-season in the end-of-year interviews.

Chan790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 03:01 AM
skyo
CanucksCorner

Quote:
That's what I'm hoping for...IF not I'd be happy with one of Ritchie, Nylander or Ehlers.

skyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 06:39 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Nylander may be smallish, an his stats don't tell a huge story, but if he's still there at #6, the Canucks would be nuts not to take him! scouts and media seem to really like this guy's talent, and i have heard before, sorry can't remember which scout said it, that Nylander may actually be the most offensively gifted player in the draft.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Bankerguy

vCash: 633
IMO Sam Sam Ekblad MDC and Draisaitle will all be gone by number 6.
I'm not sure what order they'll go in..but i''d bet 20 bucks that those 5 are gone by 6.

The ONLY guy that could sneak into the top 5 is Nick Ritchie.. i say this because powerforwards usually are a pretty hot commodity at the draft.
Ritchie also put up WELL over ppg pace ..so its not like he lacks offense... He might get into the top 5 but i think not.

Bankerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Jesse Joensuu

vCash: 450
I see Nylander being the next Naslund in Vancouver. Yes I understand that is a bold statement. Also with Florida actively shopping the 1st overall would the Canucks move 6 and Kesler to Florida?

Jesse Joensuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:10 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Joensuu View Post
I see Nylander being the next Naslund in Vancouver. Yes I understand that is a bold statement. Also with Florida actively shopping the 1st overall would the Canucks move 6 and Kesler to Florida?
That would be a horrible trade for the Canucks

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:20 PM
dogbazinho

As a bitter Cane's fan I'd say it's almost a sure thing a top 5 falls to Vancouver.

dogbazinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Sedinsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbazinho View Post
As a bitter Cane's fan I'd say it's almost a sure thing a top 5 falls to Vancouver.
The fact that there is a "consensus" top five is going to make this draft uber interesting. From a fan standpoint, I think we have the most interesting position at the draft which makes for some great entertainment- can't wait to watch every pick in the top 5 like watching game 7 in a playoff series just hoping for an "off the board" pick.

Sedinsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:31 AM
biturbo19

I would say it certainly looks like the toughest pick right now. Though if one of those "top-5" does fall...it probably becomes one of the easiest picks. So who knows.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 10:18 AM
Kuolema83

I think the draft completely hinges on what Florida does with the first overall.

If they draft Ekblad then I can see Buffalo taking Reinhart, Edmonton taking Draisaitl/Bennett, Calgary taking Draisaitl/Bennett, Islanders taking Dal Colle.

If Florida takes Reinhart, I can see Buffalo taking Bennett, Edmonton taking Ekblad, Calgary taking Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Ritchie, Islanders taking Dal Colle/Draisaitl/Ehlers.

Or Florida could trade down and completely mess with the order.

Kuolema83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 05:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuolema83 View Post
I think the draft completely hinges on what Florida does with the first overall.

If they draft Ekblad then I can see Buffalo taking Reinhart, Edmonton taking Draisaitl/Bennett, Calgary taking Draisaitl/Bennett, Islanders taking Dal Colle.

If Florida takes Reinhart, I can see Buffalo taking Bennett, Edmonton taking Ekblad, Calgary taking Draisaitl/Dal Colle/Ritchie, Islanders taking Dal Colle/Draisaitl/Ehlers.

Or Florida could trade down and completely mess with the order.
I don't see why either option changes the potential of the 6th pick other than for some reason in your second scenario you included Ehlers.

The swing for me is still pick 6. Unless someone goes outside the consensus in the first 5 picks.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
keslercrosby*

One of the Sams(probably reinhart) might fall to #6 and it's probably up to CGY's choice if sam falls or not.

If no one trades up or down:

FLA - Ekblad
BUF - Bennett
EDM - Draisaitl (If ekblad is gone, they'd rather go for a center with size over reinhart)
CGY - **It will be in the flames hands if reinhart falls to canucks or not. Would Burke and managment go off the boards and draft size ie: Ritchie.
NYI - Dal colle (With tavares and strome in the system, they'll want a winger more to play with tavares)

keslercrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
hollywood99
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCerebral1 View Post
I think it obviously comes to someone falling. Or Ritchie, Kapanen, Virtanen, Nylander and Ehlers. I think Nylander and Ritchie are the best of the group though Ehlers is enticing.

I'd actually lean Ehlers and Virtanen.

hollywood99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

I have a feeling that Ehlers cracks the top 5, if so, the Canucks will have the easiest selection of the first round.

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Kuolema83

Even Ritchie could crack the top 5.

Kuolema83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 03:50 PM
ForeverFlameFan

Tough decision for the Canucks.. Was actually thinking about this exact topic. Poll worthy, but I think the Canucks should take Ehlers if the other top 5 are taken. You'd be lethal to grab Dal Colle or Draisaitl if they dropped.

ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote