HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part X

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2014, 12:11 PM
  #1
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,733
vCash: 500
2014 NHL Entry Draft - Part X



Rankings

Bob McKenzie's Mid-Season Rankings (January): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=9593
Bob McKenzie's Draft Lottery Top 12 (April): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=117185
Bob McKenzie's Final Rankings (June): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95289
ISS Rankings (June): http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/
McKeen's top 30: http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft/
Hockey Prospect's Final Rankings: [http://www.hockeyprospect.com/nhl-draft-rankings/
Craig Button's List (June): http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649
Central Scouting's Final Rankings (March): http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=712854

Key Dates

Draft Lottery: April 15, 2014
NHL Combine: May 26-30, 2014
NHL Draft Day(s): June 27-28, 2014

Picks Available

1st Round - 6th Overall
2nd Round - 36th Overall
3rd Round - 66th Overall
5th Round - 126th Overall
6th Round - 156th Overall
7th Round -186th Overall

**4th Round Pick traded for Welsh & Dalpe

Past Draft threads: One; Two; Three; Four; Five; Six; Seven; Eight; Nine


Last edited by thefeebster: 06-24-2014 at 02:35 AM.
thefeebster is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 12:25 PM
  #2
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,240
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Jumping the gun here, but if we manage to get the 10th overall, does anyone think we should go for Virtanen, Fabbri, or Barbashev? Those are the three I'd go for at that spot outside of an obvious faller.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 12:26 PM
  #3
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,851
vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Jumping the gun here, but if we manage to get the 10th overall, does anyone think we should go for Virtanen, Fabbri, or Barbashev? Those are the three I'd go for at that spot outside of an obvious faller.
Fabbri, Virtanen, Barbashev in that order.

shortshorts is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 12:32 PM
  #4
arsmaster
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,384
vCash: 500
Depends who gets taken at 6th for me to provide a Good answer.

If it's ehlers or Nylander I'd prefer to take Virtanen. If it's Ritchie I could handle taking Fabbri over virtanen.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
06-17-2014, 01:07 PM
  #5
fancouver
Registered User
 
fancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Fabbri, Virtanen, Barbashev in that order.
If we have the 10th, definitely Virtanen.

fancouver is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
  #6
LiquidSnake*
Agent of Chaos...
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,519
vCash: 500
Was curious if we are allowed/should make a thread to predict how the draft or maybe just the top 10 shakes out just for fun and see who's closest

LiquidSnake* is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 02:57 PM
  #7
bo2shink*
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Was curious if we are allowed/should make a thread to predict how the draft or maybe just the top 10 shakes out just for fun and see who's closest
A separate thread of just guessing sounds great.

bo2shink* is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:00 PM
  #8
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Fabbri, Virtanen, Barbashev in that order.
Depends on who they draft @ 6 (for me).

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:04 PM
  #9
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,299
vCash: 500
Really starting to think Benning is trying his best to move up to #1 for Reinhart.

If that's the case, and the Nucks do acquire the #10, I see them taking Virtanen if available.

Be nice regardless if Benning can acquire another 1st. Time to start buffing up the prospect pool.

Just A Bit Outside is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:12 PM
  #10
Nuckles
Bim Jenning
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Benning's empty head
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,735
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Jumping the gun here, but if we manage to get the 10th overall, does anyone think we should go for Virtanen, Fabbri, or Barbashev? Those are the three I'd go for at that spot outside of an obvious faller.
If we draft a center with the 6th (or 1st *cough*) overall pick then I don't really have a preference.

If we draft a winger with the 6th pick then I'd want to get a center with the 10th pick.

__________________
Richer's Ghost made my avatar

Fire Benning. Fire Linden. Fire Desjardins. Hire competent people.
Nuckles is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:15 PM
  #11
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,171
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Bit Outside View Post
Really starting to think Benning is trying his best to move up to #1 for Reinhart.

If that's the case, and the Nucks do acquire the #10, I see them taking Virtanen if available.

Be nice regardless if Benning can acquire another 1st. Time to start buffing up the prospect pool.
It seems crazy, but that story from Angus they put up on the website was just weird and fishy. The pessimistic Canuck fan in me saw it as them trying to generate hype for Reinhart, to soften the blow of what might be given up. The optimist in me GOT SO JACKED BY THE HYPE. Number 1 overall baby! Woooo!

PRNuck is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:16 PM
  #12
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 51,028
vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
It seems crazy, but that story from Angus they put up on the website was just weird and fishy. The pessimistic Canuck fan in me saw it as them trying to generate hype for Reinhart, to soften the blow of what might be given up. The optimist in me GOT SO JACKED BY THE HYPE. Number 1 overall baby! Woooo!
Honestly I don't care what we give up to get the 1st overall pick. I want Sam Reinhart on this team.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 03:48 PM
  #13
fancouver
Registered User
 
fancouver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Honestly I don't care what we give up to get the 1st overall pick. I want Sam Reinhart on this team.
Sam here

fancouver is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 05:30 PM
  #14
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem
Another guy I like is Edgars Kulda. Though I get the sense another overager might be unpopular...
From the old thread, I actually don't mind guys that have been passed over. There's some good ones in this draft, especially from the USHL. But Kulda is a favorite too, I love his energy and attitude. He looks really good in all situations. There's definitely some pro potential there, moreso than the other well-known overager, H.Smith.

Another one to look out for is Brandon Montour. Twice passed over, but his first season in the USHL. As a rookie, he became the highest scoring D man in over 13 years. Very high praise from HP, McKeens has him as a sleeper. Here's a recent blog article on him: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...randon-montour

Sounds like a kind of player to roll the dice on, but i wish he was going to a better school.

Other overagers i'd consider looking at: Helewka, Valiev, Savage. But probably only in the late rounds.

thefeebster is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 05:37 PM
  #15
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Honestly I don't care what we give up to get the 1st overall pick. I want Sam Reinhart on this team.
I'd rather not trade Horvat to get there. Anything else I could live with. Edit : Also would not trade 2015 1st Round Pick.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 05:41 PM
  #16
Baby Shinkaruk
Moderator
 
Baby Shinkaruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,391
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Honestly I don't care what we give up to get the 1st overall pick. I want Sam Reinhart on this team.
To bad Luongo still isn't around. We could have swapped him with Reinhart.

I agree with LTE. I would not trade Horvat or any other valuable future piece.

Baby Shinkaruk is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 05:53 PM
  #17
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,840
vCash: 500
Well, I would trade just Horvat. I wouldn;t trade Horvat and Ehlers for Reinhart...

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 05:55 PM
  #18
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Shinkaruk View Post
To bad Luongo still isn't around. We could have swapped him with Reinhart.

I agree with LTE. I would not trade Horvat or any other valuable future piece.
I could live with some of the other future pieces (depending on the full details) but Horvat and the 2015 1st are probably my only untouchables. Horvat isn't really but I wouldn't move 6th + Horvat for Reinhart.

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:01 PM
  #19
DoubleTrouble
Registered User
 
DoubleTrouble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fraser Valley
Country: Canada
Posts: 567
vCash: 500
BIG BIG BIG mistake trading Horvat

He is going to be a Very Good NHL'er

I'm ok with trading any of our Prospect except Horvat and no way we move our 2015 1st overall

Anything else is fine with me

DoubleTrouble is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:08 PM
  #20
Baby Shinkaruk
Moderator
 
Baby Shinkaruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,391
vCash: 500
The only thing I dislike about trading for Reinhart is that IMO it increases the chances of one of the top 5 falling.

My theory is that Florida wants Ekblad and Buffalo will take a Sam. Therefore if we take Reinhart, Ekblad falls to Edmonton, I can see NYI passing on Draisaitl. I don't know. Just a theory I have...

Baby Shinkaruk is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:15 PM
  #21
Reverend Mayhem
I would be awesomer.
 
Reverend Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,240
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
From the old thread, I actually don't mind guys that have been passed over. There's some good ones in this draft, especially from the USHL. But Kulda is a favorite too, I love his energy and attitude. He looks really good in all situations. There's definitely some pro potential there, moreso than the other well-known overager, H.Smith.

Another one to look out for is Brandon Montour. Twice passed over, but his first season in the USHL. As a rookie, he became the highest scoring D man in over 13 years. Very high praise from HP, McKeens has him as a sleeper. Here's a recent blog article on him: http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014...randon-montour

Sounds like a kind of player to roll the dice on, but i wish he was going to a better school.

Other overagers i'd consider looking at: Helewka, Valiev, Savage. But probably only in the late rounds.
Story sounds a bit like Tanev...wow, he was playing in the OJHL as an 18-year old? Sounds like he's had exponential growth since then. Scouting report makes me imagine his playing style very similar to Ehrhoff.

I wouldn't mind at all taking him in the 5th round or beyond. Though his school isn't one of the most reputable in college hockey, wasn't Rochester Institute of Technology seen in a similar light in that they were fairly new to the AHA?

But just Montour's progression in the past two years or so is extremely intriguing to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I'd rather not trade Horvat to get there. Anything else I could live with. Edit : Also would not trade 2015 1st Round Pick.
Horvat is an untouchable to me. I wouldn't see him gone for anything other than gross overpayment. I really think he's going to be a Selke candidate some time down the road.

Reverend Mayhem is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:20 PM
  #22
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,840
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Shinkaruk View Post
The only thing I dislike about trading for Reinhart is that IMO it increases the chances of one of the top 5 falling.

My theory is that Florida wants Ekblad and Buffalo will take a Sam. Therefore if we take Reinhart, Ekblad falls to Edmonton, I can see NYI passing on Draisaitl. I don't know. Just a theory I have...
The devil in me would rather just pick at 6th than see Edmonton get Ekblad...

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:48 PM
  #23
jammyrft
Registered User
 
jammyrft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Up North eh
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
I value BoHo like I value Schneider considering that's what we paid to get him. BoHo is literally the most crucial prospect we have going forward.

Schneider (BoHo) + Ehlers is not worth Reinhart. And this is coming for a guy who wants homegrown talent and loves Reinhart.

jammyrft is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 06:53 PM
  #24
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows
 
LickTheEnvelope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 28,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Horvat is an untouchable to me. I wouldn't see him gone for anything other than gross overpayment. I really think he's going to be a Selke candidate some time down the road.
I love Horvat, but I'd trade him for a top 3 pick this year. I like Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad better (in that order).

LickTheEnvelope is offline  
Old
06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
  #25
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,967
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
I love Horvat, but I'd trade him for a top 3 pick this year. I like Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad better (in that order).
nobody here would suggest trading horvat for the #1 is a bad deal (though they can still be against it). trading horvat + 6 for 1 is a bad deal.

Verviticus is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.