HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Change coaching style poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2003, 03:24 AM
Joey24

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Change coaching style poll

Should Quinn implement a new system on defense such as the trap or should we stay with the free wheeling system we currently have or maybe adopt a different system?

for some reason my poll option is not working so simply state yes or no.
and possibly state why you think they change stay or stay with the current system.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:04 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

im all for a trap of some sort

who cares about doing whats right, or being entertaining, we want to win.

burns bent the rules when he was here, clutching and grabbing with an aging team, and those were our fondest memories, because we were winning!

Old
10-03-2003, 04:23 AM
GeckoGreene

vCash:
If the Leafs become just one more of the many cookie-cutter, cowardice-as-virtue, all-players-are-just-a-cog-in-the-wheel system teams infecting the league, well, they'll win, but they'll win without me tuning in. Better to lose with honour than to win the Cup through cheap-ass shortcuts and have it not mean anything. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I feel very strongly about this- what is good about this team is its life, its fire, its sense of honour, and its dynamic, aggressive, creative, exciting on-ice style. If it gets rid of these virtues and becomes another "disciplined" systems-team, then all the wins in the world wouldn't replace what they lost, or the fans have lost. So, um, "no", I guess. Like I said, not claiming to speak from or for the majority here, just MHO on the subject...

Old
10-03-2003, 04:31 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

i dont think they can believe they can win without a trap of some sort, unless the league dramatically changed things., like..

bigger rinks
smaller goalie pads!
4 on 4 hockey

:rocket:

Old
10-03-2003, 04:58 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
I'd like to see him imply the same kind of system that Hitchcock has in Philly. Not so much of a trap as a solid defensive forechecking system. At least there's still entertainment in watching.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:02 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGreene
If the Leafs become just one more of the many cookie-cutter, cowardice-as-virtue, all-players-are-just-a-cog-in-the-wheel system teams infecting the league, well, they'll win, but they'll win without me tuning in. Better to lose with honour than to win the Cup through cheap-ass shortcuts and have it not mean anything. I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I feel very strongly about this- what is good about this team is its life, its fire, its sense of honour, and its dynamic, aggressive, creative, exciting on-ice style. If it gets rid of these virtues and becomes another "disciplined" systems-team, then all the wins in the world wouldn't replace what they lost, or the fans have lost. So, um, "no", I guess. Like I said, not claiming to speak from or for the majority here, just MHO on the subject...
Nope that's cool Gecko that's your opinion. I do see what you mean and I would hate to be watching a trap system like the devils and others have made famous but on the other hand I would love to see a cup com to Toronto and I honistly think this may be a last chance for a few years if JP decides to go into rebuilding phaze after this season sooooo I don't think a trap would be that bad if it ment bringing the cup back to Toronto.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:05 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Nope that's cool Gecko that's your opinion. I do see what you mean and I would hate to be watching a trap system like the devils and others have made famous but on the other hand I would love to see a cup com to Toronto and I honistly think this may be a last chance for a few years if JP decides to go into rebuilding phaze after this season sooooo I don't think a trap would be that bad if it ment bringing the cup back to Toronto.
Oops! Wrong "J".

Old
10-03-2003, 05:14 AM
Leaf Army

As I mentioned in another thread, I think the Leafs ARE starting to play some sort of defensive system.

Not for the whole preseason, but in their last game against Ottawa, I thought it was becomming noticeable.

To me it looks like they're trying to develop some sort of variation on the left-wing lock.

Maybe I was just seeing things though. I guess the games against Detroit will give us a better idea.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:30 AM
Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoGreene
I think they would rather win the Cup than worry if you are tuning in. Personnally I want to see them win the Cup and if you aren't watching when they do I won't lose sleep over it.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:37 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Oops! Wrong "J".
Lol thanks for point that out.. I was looking over some Jays stats just before posting that.. ;p lol

Old
10-03-2003, 02:41 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
They definately have to address their defensive system. But Id be pretty upset if it was what the Devils or Wild employ.

Old
10-03-2003, 04:52 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Should Quinn implement a new system on defense such as the trap or should we stay with the free wheeling system we currently have or maybe adopt a different system?

for some reason my poll option is not working so simply state yes or no.
and possibly state why you think they change stay or stay with the current system.
With the horses Toronto has up front I think they should go all out and play offence.......just like the Oilers use to do........Oilers playing this style use to also rely HEAVILY on Grant Fuhr's heroics in the net....The Leafs have a solid Goalie in Belfour and I think because of it they can afford to play this style.....they should be the trend-setters in the NHL for others to go back and play this style of hockey.

Old
10-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
With the horses Toronto has up front I think they should go all out and play offence.......just like the Oilers use to do........Oilers playing this style use to also rely HEAVILY on Grant Fuhr's heroics in the net....The Leafs have a solid Goalie in Belfour and I think because of it they can afford to play this style.....they should be the trend-setters in the NHL for others to go back and play this style of hockey.
The Oil also had the best player in the world...
forward
Gretzky vs Sundin ------- Winner Gretzky
Kurri vs Mogs ------------ Winner Kurri
Anderson Vs Nolan -------- Winner Anderson
Messier Vs Nieuwendyk -- Winner Messier
Tikkanen vs Tucker ------- Winner Tikkanen
Simpson vs Roberts ------- Winner Roberts
Semenko vs Belak -------- Ole Cement Head
MacTavish vs Reichel ----- Winner Mactavish
Krushelnyski vs Antropov-- Winner Krushelnyski, but give Nik time.
Courtnall vs Renberg ----- Geoff Courtnall

Defence
Coffey vs Kaberle ------ Winner Coffey
Smith vs McCabe ------ Winner Steve Smith
Beukeboom vs Klee ---- Winner Beukeboom
Low vs Berg ----------- Winner Low
McSorley vs Marchmant- Winner McSorley
Huddy vs Jackman ----- Winner Huddy

goal
Fhur vs Belfour -------- Winner Belfour
Ranford vs Kidd -------- Winner Ranford

Sure I would run this style if I were Toronto and the guys in the leafs uniforms were 10 years younger. When those guys played for the Oilers they were in there primes there is really no way in hell the leafs could get away with what the Oilers did back in the 80's I don't think any team in the league could not even the Avs.

Old
10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2394
The biggest problem with our current style is a combination of a lack of speed to recover from a good breakout while forechecking combined with a shortage of commitment from all our players.Our ability to play defense after everyone has plodded back to our zone is fine,its defending against the rush that is the big problem.
Quinn needs to make an adjustment to allow time for some of the slower players to recover and also we need to do a better job of closing down or at least tightening up the passing lanes.Alterations need to be made to defend against the various offensive systems utilized by other teams.Far too often our defensive adjustments (if made at all) are made much too late.
Like many leaf fans i enjoy the wide open style we play but without a better system of team defense and less PP opportunities for the opposition we wont get the results that match the talent level of this team.We have the talent to be serious contenders now lets employ a system that will make the most of it.

Old
10-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Mike1

If it helps us finish higher in the standings & go farther in the playoffs then why not.The Leafs definitely have to have a better game plan in their own end then what they have done as a team in the past.

Old
10-03-2003, 09:32 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1
If it helps us finish higher in the standings & go farther in the playoffs then why not.The Leafs definitely have to have a better game plan in their own end then what they have done as a team in the past.
I find our defensive zone coverage sufficient.We do spend alot of time there but most often we can keep the quality scoring chances to a minimum.One change i would like implemented into our defensive zone coverage system is to just ice the puck when up against sustained pressure.It drives me crazy when i see guys trying to chip it out instead of just hammering it down the ice.We have good enough centers that we can win most of the draws that result from icings which is why the hesitation to relieve the pressure by icing the puck is so frustrating for me.

Old
10-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
I find our defensive zone coverage sufficient.We do spend alot of time there but most often we can keep the quality scoring chances to a minimum.One change i would like implemented into our defensive zone coverage system is to just ice the puck when up against sustained pressure.It drives me crazy when i see guys trying to chip it out instead of just hammering it down the ice.We have good enough centers that we can win most of the draws that result from icings which is why the hesitation to relieve the pressure by icing the puck is so frustrating for me.
I agree 100% nothing makes me more angry then the leafs defence trying to chip it out of the zone and the point men picking off the clearing attempts for a hign percentage scoring chance. Or the one that peavs me off is when a player tries to carry the puck out of his zone when the other team is all over them and they end up caughing it up.
I think Quinn has to run some more drills with these guys I mean this is pee wee mistakes these guys are making out there

Old
10-04-2003, 08:32 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
The Oil also had the best player in the world...
forward
Gretzky vs Sundin ------- Winner Gretzky
Kurri vs Mogs ------------ Winner Kurri
Anderson Vs Nolan -------- Winner Anderson
Messier Vs Nieuwendyk -- Winner Messier
Tikkanen vs Tucker ------- Winner Tikkanen
Simpson vs Roberts ------- Winner Roberts
Semenko vs Belak -------- Ole Cement Head
MacTavish vs Reichel ----- Winner Mactavish
Krushelnyski vs Antropov-- Winner Krushelnyski, but give Nik time.
Courtnall vs Renberg ----- Geoff Courtnall

Defence
Coffey vs Kaberle ------ Winner Coffey
Smith vs McCabe ------ Winner Steve Smith
Beukeboom vs Klee ---- Winner Beukeboom
Low vs Berg ----------- Winner Low
McSorley vs Marchmant- Winner McSorley
Huddy vs Jackman ----- Winner Huddy

goal
Fhur vs Belfour -------- Winner Belfour
Ranford vs Kidd -------- Winner Ranford

Sure I would run this style if I were Toronto and the guys in the leafs uniforms were 10 years younger. When those guys played for the Oilers they were in there primes there is really no way in hell the leafs could get away with what the Oilers did back in the 80's I don't think any team in the league could not even the Avs.
Sorry you misunderstood me..........I wasn't saying that the current Leafs roster was as good as those Oilers teams cause they're not....that Oilers team was probably the best that's ever played in the League after the 1970s Montreal Canadiens.........all I meant to say here is that the Leafs have a good core group of offensive stars on their team and should be playing the style that best suits the type of players that they have on their team.

Old
10-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Joey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Sorry you misunderstood me..........I wasn't saying that the current Leafs roster was as good as those Oilers teams cause they're not....that Oilers team was probably the best that's ever played in the League after the 1970s Montreal Canadiens.........all I meant to say here is that the Leafs have a good core group of offensive stars on their team and should be playing the style that best suits the type of players that they have on their team.
Oh ok sorry misunderstood you. I still think that the leafs would get demolished playing the open style the Oilers played back then.

Old
10-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Rand

IMHO the Leafs free wheeling offensive style of play fits in extremely well with their deep and talented group of physically intimidating forwards.

I'd like to see our forwards focus a bit more on backchecking, but besides that I'm comfortable with the system Quinn has in place now.