HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rene Bourque

Old
04-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Sthabs

vCash: 500

Sthabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 11:17 PM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
What if he played like this all season long...

What a waste of skills.
props to therrien dealing with him the way he did.

I could not believe how well bourque played tonight. outmuscling defenders, deking the goalie ... just wow.

but props to therrien on this one. He set him up for the playoffs... if you look at how he dealt with him all year...same for briere, same for eller .... same for emelin .... that's the coaching staff right there. They are the ones who get flaked for playing him on the 3rd line all years .... they should be the ones to get the tap in the back now. they believed, we did not.

he really pushed the right buttons ... if people deny that they are blind. what a great peak timing from our support players.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Mike8

I don't understand. How is this Therrien's doing?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 03:25 AM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
What if he played like this all season long...

What a waste of skills.
He is always hot and cold. Be something if he gets hot all playoffs.

How many posters wanted him kicked off team this year? Along with Briere and Gionta

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 04:30 AM
Neutrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post
props to therrien dealing with him the way he did.

I could not believe how well bourque played tonight. outmuscling defenders, deking the goalie ... just wow.

but props to therrien on this one. He set him up for the playoffs... if you look at how he dealt with him all year...same for briere, same for eller .... same for emelin .... that's the coaching staff right there. They are the ones who get flaked for playing him on the 3rd line all years .... they should be the ones to get the tap in the back now. they believed, we did not.

he really pushed the right buttons ... if people deny that they are blind. what a great peak timing from our support players.
If you look very closely on the ice during a match, you will notice it is in fact Rene Bourque playing and not Therrien.

Neutrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 04:46 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
has this guy always been clutch like this? it's the second playoffs with us where he's ****ing beast

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 06:21 AM
Habstract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
If you look very closely on the ice during a match, you will notice it is in fact Rene Bourque playing and not Therrien.
But according to some posters on here, Subban struggles are due to Therrien even though if you look very closely on the ice during a match, you will notice that it is in fact Subban playing !

Habstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 06:45 AM
the

I don't care about the season, Bourque is bringing it during the playoffs and that's all that matters.

the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:22 AM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
According to this board (not you I know), Therrien was responsible for the poor play of Briere, Bourque, Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk and all the others. It stands to reason he gets credit for their good play now?

I am not sure I understand either. This board can be hard to follow at times.

E = CH˛ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:24 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I don't care about the season, Bourque is bringing it during the playoffs and that's all that matters.
I see some problems with this attitude. What if everyone on the Habs played like Bork during the season? We would have no post season if that happened.

Also, how much money do you make a year? For three million don't you expect more?

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:29 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
I see some problems with this attitude. What if everyone on the Habs played like Bork during the season? ...
Well said! If everyone on the Habs had played like Bork during the season then we would have finished lower in the rankings than the freakin' LEAFS !

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 07:54 AM
Yep

I agree that credit should be given to Therrien.

Well above any individual performance, even Bourque's, it's obvious from the first two games that the players are stepping on the ice as a unit playing the coaches' system.

Yep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:33 AM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Give credit to Bergevin for not getting rid of him at the deadline. Most people around here, including myself, laughed when Bergevin apparently wanted a quality forward in return for him.. seeing how much he's picked up his play in the playoffs shows that management and our coaches believed he would turn it around.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:49 AM
yoyo999

Quote:
Originally Posted by the View Post
I don't think you'd be posting this if we missed the playoffs.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
I think it's all a mental thing with Bourque. He gets benched and plays low minutes and he loses all his confidence. Some players have a harder time dealing with that stuff.

Now it's the playoffs and he pushed the reset button, so hopefully he can keep it up.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:53 AM
yoyo999

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMCMBeaulieu View Post
Give credit to Bergevin for not getting rid of him at the deadline. Most people around here, including myself, laughed when Bergevin apparently wanted a quality forward in return for him.. seeing how much he's picked up his play in the playoffs shows that management and our coaches believed he would turn it around.
I think in this case Bergevin went with the mantra 'The Devil you know, is better than the Devil you don't'

Bergevin knows what he's going to get out of Rene Bourque. For arguments sake, let's say it was PA Parenteau as reported. He could have been much worse, with an extra year.

yoyo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 09:58 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH˛ View Post
According to this board (not you I know), Therrien was responsible for the poor play of Briere, Bourque, Subban, Eller, Galchenyuk and all the others. It stands to reason he gets credit for their good play now?

I am not sure I understand either. This board can be hard to follow at times.
I don't think anyone has claimed Bourque not playing well has to do with Therrien. Just like nobody would claim Parros was bad because of Therrien.

What's wrong with taking it on a case by case basis? And if we are looking at general impact of coaching it's most felt by the lesser players. Elite players like Subban are going to do well no matter the coach, that's why even in a down year he had over 50pts. It's the lesser talented players who can be good with the right system/structure but are exposed without one.

As for the topic at hand, Bourque's two problems are hockey sense and motivation. So it's not surprising that his play seems to pick up in the playoffs, the atmosphere helps motivate him, and the grind it out style of playoff hockey suits his hockey sense more.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I think it's all a mental thing with Bourque. He gets benched and plays low minutes and he loses all his confidence. Some players have a harder time dealing with that stuff.

Now it's the playoffs and he pushed the reset button, so hopefully he can keep it up.
Work ethic is also another. The guy doesn't move his feet in the season as much as he does the playoffs

It was said numerous times by many : Bourque has all the physical tools ti succeed in the NHL and he proved it in the past when he scored 30. The problem with him is mental and attitude.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:08 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post
Work ethic is also another. The guy doesn't move his feet in the season as much as he does the playoffs

It was said numerous times by many : Bourque has all the physical tools ti succeed in the NHL and he proved it in the past when he scored 30. The problem with him is mental and attitude.
But he's a really good guy, does lots of great charity work behind the scenes for youth in native communities, and when the playoffs come around he goes into beast mode. Accept who he is, and let the team reap the rewards when it matters most!

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 04-19-2014 at 11:11 AM.
hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:15 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 131313 View Post

True,
I've watched him in games where he had everything going except his brain.
Often the smallest details go unnoticed and they are so simple to fix.
A perfect example is watching him go hell bent up the ice to get on the forecheck only to take a bad angle and take himself completely out of the play. Or worse having a good angle but getting his stick in a bad spot or tied up. That one slays me the most ya just might need your stick
Hope he takes some lessons from TV who protects his stick like it's his firstborn...

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:19 AM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Good show Bourque,and beauty goal that will go down in the highlight reel for a long time .

You show up when it really matters...5 pts in 7 playoffs games with Habs
4 goals in 7 games.

Next 2 years are at just 2.5 million a year....He is well worth that .

Last edited by Habaneros: 04-19-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Habaneros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post

Next 2 years are at just 2.5 million a year....He is well worth that .
We don't care about his salary, we have boat loads of cash. The problem is the 3.3 cap hit that's preventing us of resigning Vanek. Anyways, pretty sure "operation buy-out" is cacelled, yesterday was a kind of performance that sky rockets a player's value.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Rapala
Chasin'TheCup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
We don't care about his salary, we have boat loads of cash. The problem is the 3.3 cap hit that's preventing us of resigning Vanek. Anyways, pretty sure "operation buy-out" is cacelled, yesterday was a kind of performance that sky rockets a player's value.
Not quite in my mind.
He needs to do this game in game out for the duration.
Then we would be in an excellent quandary

Rapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:56 AM
CHwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
He is always hot and cold. Be something if he gets hot all playoffs.

How many posters wanted him kicked off team this year? Along with Briere and Gionta
Still want him gone. Yes it's nice he wants to play now, but I have no use for a player that lets team mates carry the load all season and then decides he'll show up in the play offs. I'll take what he'll give me but I would look at shipping his sorry butt out at the draft.

CHwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:01 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino View Post
So how come this thinking isn't used when it comes to Subban and Eller going through rough patches?

onice is offline   Reply With Quote