HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rene Bourque

Old
04-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
3.3mil is a LOT of money against the cap. Could be the difference between losing and retaining our good young players. We're handicapped enough as it is with taxes.
Given that the cap is going up, or at least should be, Bourque's cap hit takes up less percentage wise. In a sense, he'll become cheaper.

Habs will likely and hopefully still look to move him. Craig MacTavish is pretty stupid. He's looking for size in the top 9 and a veteran presence. Hopefully he thinks it's the same Bourque that played in Calgary.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 04:08 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
ITT: People finally realizing why Bourque gets paid 3million and we got him as a salary dump for Cammalleri. Only took you a couple years but you guys made it.
He had an awful year though. Really, really bad.

The problem with Bourque, I touched upon it earlier in this thread, is completely mental and has to do with confidence. I'm certain he can be a regular 50pt guy but he needs to be driven and pushed every day and the world doesn't work that way, unfortunately. There are no quartermasters overlooking one, specific guy.

Could this be a turning point in his career? I doubt it, but I'd like it if it were, he's an asset to any team when he's on.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 04:25 PM
Bryson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Bourque was a badass for 4 games, but we should still probably take the first offer we get for him in the off-season. Unless he wins the Conn Smythe or something.
Crazy talk. The man plays like a man possessed in the playoffs and you want to trade him? Bourque showed up last playoffs too! And 3M on a 70M cap is peanuts. Habs need to get bigger. Who are you going to replace him with when guys like Clarkson are going for 5.25M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
He had an awful year though. Really, really bad.
EVERY player on the team had a down year! It was the system. Look at how much better guys like Bourque and Eller are playing now that the leash is off.

Bryson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Some night he played very well and showed hustle and when i came here all i read were cheap jokes against him.

Bourque is good in the playoffs and at 2.5M real money and 3.3M cap hit he's a keeper.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 06:38 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
ITT: People finally realizing why Bourque gets paid 3million and we got him as a salary dump for Cammalleri. Only took you a couple years but you guys made it.
A team full of Bourque type players will have you competing with the Edmonton Oilers for last place.

Thank you Rene Bourque for finally deciding to show some effort for the first time this season. Please keep it up during the playoffs so we can find a team to trade you to.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:07 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Right, of course.

Now let's extend him at 8 x 8.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:15 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryson View Post
Crazy talk. The man plays like a man possessed in the playoffs and you want to trade him? Bourque showed up last playoffs too! And 3M on a 70M cap is peanuts. Habs need to get bigger. Who are you going to replace him with when guys like Clarkson are going for 5.25M?

EVERY player on the team had a down year! It was the system. Look at how much better guys like Bourque and Eller are playing now that the leash is off.
How about we wait and see what happens next round before crowning a guy who has had 37 points in 128 games with the team as a long term keeper. He's been amazing but he was good last playoffs too and look what happened in the regular season. With all the players up for re-sign and Vanek likely needing an overpayment, Habs can't afford to have 2 playoff only regular season no shows taking up 7.3M in cap.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 07:38 PM
MarcBergevin*

This thread is why there are REAL NHL gm's, and then there are HF posters.

MarcBergevin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:00 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
A team full of Bourque type players will have you competing with the Edmonton Oilers for last place.

Thank you Rene Bourque for finally deciding to show some effort for the first time this season. Please keep it up during the playoffs so we can find a team to trade you to.
I agree his inconsistency is not only troubling, but awful to witness.

I've always believed that he's not lazy, but really needs work with a good sports psychologist.

He has the grit, heart and skills, but has a tough time getting it all together.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

Quote:
... wut

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 08:44 PM
vfactor

Bourque is playing fantastic right now but I have no hope he stays at this level. This is the story of his career. He has all the tools but seems to lack the determination to use them all night in and out, to get to the next level and stay there. If he has the drive of a Crosby, Subban or even a White or Weise he's probably a top 6 in any team in this league.

Eller is a different story, the effort was never lacking but he seems to lack the hockey IQ which matches his physical tools. He doesn't play the game to maximize his skillset

vfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 04:58 AM
Mr. Hab

We have players that can help us in the regular season (Markov...when healthy).

And then we have players who can help us BIG TIME in playoffs (Subban, Bourque, Briere, and many many more).

I'll always be a huge fan of the players who show up in playoffs.
(I don't think players are complaining about Bourque!! everyone knows he's just more pumped up during playoffs...only natural and at 2.5 or 3.3...Bourque is a bargain). IF Bourque played like this during all year he'd cost 5 or 6mil... I prefer it the way it is.

GO Bourque GO!! (playoffs warrior...that's all I need)
Go Briere Go!! (still awesome in playoffs, awesome for our Habs)
Go health Go!!

p.s.: if it were up to many Hab fans here...Briere and Bourque would have been traded for a bag of pucks and then we'd have TWO huge HOLES to fill (more pressure for Galchenyuk to come back in a hurry...more pressure on Moen and White,etc).

Briere is one of the best in NHL playoffs' history scoring...and he still has some magic left. Bourque shows up when it counts...BIG TIME!! (loving it and at a discount price!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-25-2014 at 05:21 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 05:58 AM
hockeyfan2k11

I love how every Habs player is now the greatest thing since sliced after 4 games in the playoffs. Bourque has been a poor player since coming here and should be moved in the off season.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 06:18 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
I love how every Habs player is now the greatest thing since sliced after 4 games in the playoffs. Bourque has been a poor player since coming here and should be moved in the off season.
He should be traded, however it's fantastic that he's stepping up at the right time.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:03 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
He should be traded, however it's fantastic that he's stepping up at the right time.
Absolutely.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Fantastic for his trade value too

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
CHaracter79

Let's not forget that a player like bourque playing this way can only help and not hinder us in a series against the B's not too many players with his size, speed and skill available at 3m a year.

and ya... about cammy. look.. i liked the guy. He was clutch in the '10 run. but lets face the truth. We happen to play two of the softest teams that playoff run and thats when he shined. he didnt fair too well with Philly in the EF.

Its no wonder not one of the playoff teams looked to pick him up at the deadline this year.

CHaracter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:07 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
You're talking about a 9 game sample size, which doesn't erase all the regular season games where he's basically a waste of a roster spot.

If you think the Habs are deep enough at forward and have enough wiggle room on the cap to afford to keep him around for the handful of games per year where he does play well, then okay. I'm not sure it's a luxury we can afford, personally.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:23 AM
Smoky Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You're talking about a 9 game sample size, which doesn't erase all the regular season games where he's basically a waste of a roster spot.

If you think the Habs are deep enough at forward and have enough wiggle room on the cap to afford to keep him around for the handful of games per year where he does play well, then okay. I'm not sure it's a luxury we can afford, personally.
Well they did it this season with the cap at it's lowest in years and they still had the cap space many other playoff teams did not have to acquire Vanek.

Every playoff team has that player that costs a lot relative to his regular season production but who steps it up in the playoffs. $3.3m and the guy outplayed freaking Steven Stamkos lol. He been our more entertaining forward and is part of one of the best 3rd lines we've had in years.

Like I said in an earlier post, considering his low cap hit I'd expect Bergy to keep him unless he gets offered a nice Overpayment due to his playoff performance.

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 09:29 AM
MarkovsKnee

The great thing about Bourque's playoffs (other than helping us win round 1) is that it should raise his trade value. I just think he's going to be traded in the off-season no matter how these playoffs go.

He'll be of interest to a lot of teams. He doesn't have that high of a cap hit at $3,3m and his actual salary is ridiculously decent over the next 2 years at $2,5m per, which means he is extremely affordable for any team in the league including floor teams like Nashville, NYI etc.

He has been an off-and-on again solid depth player for us, and when he's good he's very very good, but Habs should move on from him. With Patches, Galchenyuk, Prust, Moen and Bournival we have more than enough depth on that wing. We will also have DLR in Hamilton, mostly likely.

I don't see much of a future for him with this team.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2014, 11:37 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky Thompson View Post
Well they did it this season with the cap at it's lowest in years and they still had the cap space many other playoff teams did not have to acquire Vanek.

Every playoff team has that player that costs a lot relative to his regular season production but who steps it up in the playoffs. $3.3m and the guy outplayed freaking Steven Stamkos lol. He been our more entertaining forward and is part of one of the best 3rd lines we've had in years.

Like I said in an earlier post, considering his low cap hit I'd expect Bergy to keep him unless he gets offered a nice Overpayment due to his playoff performance.
Well realistically, we are getting away with carrying two of those types if you include Briere, and Subban's absurdly low cap hit gave us more flexibility this year than we "should" have. I don't think the situation will be the same next year, but we'll have to see how much the cap goes up by. Even if it does go up a lot...I would still rather trade Bourque and try to fill his spot with someone who gives a damn for the other 82 games.

Again, with the "outplayed Stamkos" and "most entertaining forward" and "best 3rd line in years" stuff - 4 games. 9 if you include last year's playoffs. Will your opinion change if he reverts to regular season Bourque for the rest of the playoffs?

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 05:56 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Go Bourque Go!!

Not all Hab fans have to agree with each other, but...

For me (just my opinion!)...there's nothing (nothing!) like a player who can perform super well in playoffs (but, it's funny...I wanted Cammalleri out of here when he slacked like a turtle/sloth out there in regular season and had so much crappy attitude in interviews, plus he was so small and slow...but Bourque has great height/size and is currently playing like an awesome $6mil power forward...gotta be happy!!!!). So...why still so bitter about Bourque?? I really don't get it... I'd take a playoffs' performer VS a regular season performer...anyday...any ****ing day!).

Go Bourque Go!!!! (keep it up...keep playing like a playoffs' beast...two more seasons? darn right!!!! just keep it up in playoffs when it really counts!!).

Those of you who want Bourque traded....you must want Markov traded as well??!!??!! 'cause imo he's a regular season dman... I'm just happy Markov is staying healthy...FOR ONCE!! not exactly excited about his playoffs performance (but not that unhappy either), then again...he's not exactly a playoffs' dman like Subban or Gorges, but I always want him to prove me wrong...etc,etc!!!! bah! I'm just happy Markov is not injured...but that should not be reason enough...etc,etc!!).

Go Markov Go!! (just keep staying healthy!).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
It's a though call for sure, but trading a player who overperformed in the playoffs is often a good move. I guess the Habs will still keep him.

Had he been a UFA, he would be on his way to overpricing himself out of town, tough.

Brainiac is offline   Reply With Quote