HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2014, 07:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1175
For those interested, the Reading Royals released their regular season schedule:

http://royalshockey.com/royals-annou...ason-schedule/

Quote:
Reading, PA – The Reading Royals of the ECHL today announced the team’s 2014-15 regular season schedule. The Royals will open the team’s fourteenth season on Saturday, October 18, at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling, West Virginia, where the team will face the Wheeling Nailers. This marks the eleventh time in team history that the Royals have opened on the road, and the first time Reading has opened the regular season at WesBanco Arena, since October 11, 2002, when the Royals beat the Nailers, 7-3.
And here is how the operation works:

http://royalshockey.com/royals-ink-a...elphia-flyers/

Quote:
Reading, PA – The Reading Royals of the ECHL and Philadelphia Flyers of the National Hockey League today jointly announced that they have entered into an affiliation arrangement under which the Royals will receive players designated for assignment within the professional hockey operations development system of the Flyers. This marks the first time that the Royals and Flyers have entered a formal affiliation relationship.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-04-2014 at 07:28 PM.
Old
06-05-2014, 07:15 PM
royals119

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by highflyer2 View Post
Forgive my ignornace but how will this work? Did the players on the Royals have ties with Washington and are now off of a team, or will we inherit the team as is? New to learning how the ECHL works, but super excited since I only live 20 minutes away!
Quote:
So I should be seeing players in the Flyers pipeline, if I'm understanding correctly?
The players who were on Washington/Hershey contracts and assigned to the Royals last year will likely not return to Reading, unless the Royals sign a secondary affiliation with them. Most of the Royals last year were on ECHL only contracts though. The Royals press release said the Flyers/Phantoms are expecting to assign 8 players to Reading, including two goalies, to start the season.

These are the players that Reading holds the ECHL rights to:
Mike Banwell, Evan Barlow, Brandon Blandina, Tyler Brenner, Nick Bruneteau, Matt Campanale, Louie Caporusso, Julien Cayer, Adam Comrie, Ethan Cox, Ryan Cruthers, Marvin Degon, Adrian Foster, Aaron Gens, Dominic Jalbert, Ryan Kavanagh, Ned Lukacevic, David Marshall, Mark Mitera, Bryant Molle, Domenic Monardo, Ian O’Connor, Brock Shelgren, Yannick Tifu, Jesse Todd, Denny Urban, Kevin Walrod, Ian Watters, and Sean Wiles.

Some of these are going to retire, some will sign in Europe, some will sign AHL contracts with other teams (or already have), and some will go to other ECHL teams.

Molle, Monardo, Walrod, and Wiles will probably be back, and might get a callup to Allentown if they get shorthanded during the season. Barlow, Comrie, Marshall, and O'Connor already have contracts elsewhere in the AHL. Tifu and Cox are ECHL vets who will likely be in Reading if they play another year. Banwell, Blandina, Bruneteau, Campanale, Gens, and Todd are solid ECHL players unlikely to get called up.

I think Brenner, Caparusso, Cayer, Cruthers, Degon, Foster, Jalbert, Kavanagh, Lukacevic, Shelgren, Urban, Mitera and Watters are either retired already, will retire or go to Europe.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:12 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 555
Quote:
So I should be seeing players in the Flyers pipeline, if I'm understanding correctly?
I'd actually be surprised if we saw anything worth a damn in Reading this season with. Some 13-14 Phantoms would have gotten bumped down because of (probably) Ghost, Laughton, Leier, Stolarz, and Hagg probably starting in LV have contracts up this season. Heeter, Flanigan, Brown, Manning, Bourdon, Eddy, Hostetter are UFAs. Gervais, Danis, Newbury, VandeVelde, Holmstrom are RFAs.

I think Brown, Gervais and Hostetter (would have been a lock for REA) are definitely gone. I wouldn't mind seeing Newbury, Holmstrom, Eddy, and maybe Bourdon let go, MAB pending his health...but it wouldn't shock me to see them keep them as AHLers.

Mathers, Johnston, LaMarche, maybe Noebels and Konan since they've been kinda buried since arriving in ADK/LV may see time in REA this year, and I guess maybe Goulbourne, Vasilev, and Wilcox depending on their contract and eligibility situations.

If you're going to attend Royals games, cross your fingers that Yannick Tifu sticks around. One of those guys who is REALLY good in the ECHL and can't cut it at the next level.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I'd actually be surprised if we saw anything worth a damn in Reading this season with. Some 13-14 Phantoms would have gotten bumped down because of (probably) Ghost, Laughton, Leier, Stolarz, and Hagg probably starting in LV have contracts up this season. Heeter, Flanigan, Brown, Manning, Bourdon, Eddy, Hostetter are UFAs. Gervais, Danis, Newbury, VandeVelde, Holmstrom are RFAs.

I think Brown, Gervais and Hostetter (would have been a lock for REA) are definitely gone. I wouldn't mind seeing Newbury, Holmstrom, Eddy, and maybe Bourdon let go, MAB pending his health...but it wouldn't shock me to see them keep them as AHLers.

Mathers, Johnston, LaMarche, maybe Noebels and Konan since they've been kinda buried since arriving in ADK/LV may see time in REA this year, and I guess maybe Goulbourne, Vasilev, and Wilcox depending on their contract and eligibility situations.

If you're going to attend Royals games, cross your fingers that Yannick Tifu sticks around. One of those guys who is REALLY good in the ECHL and can't cut it at the next level.
Well for these two, I can not see Vasilev coming from the KHL to the ECHL. They would most likely, if he did sign, guarantee in a sense him a spot in the AHL. Wilcox I can not see leaving until his 4th year. He is progressing extremely well so I would be reluctant stopping it.

Old
06-05-2014, 10:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Vasiliev signed a 1 year deal with Avangard Omsk (same team as Gus) back in may so he won't be an option for next year but maybe the year after.

Old
06-06-2014, 01:23 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Vasiliev signed a 1 year deal with Avangard Omsk (same team as Gus) back in may so he won't be an option for next year but maybe the year after.
Probably for the best. Another year in the KHL on a quality team this time around should be good for him. Buy another year on his ELC. I would also think Gostisbehere will have probably graduated (or close) by the time he gets here so that opens up a little space. Hagg and/or Morin will be ahead of him in the pecking order for AHL minutes on the left side.

Old
06-06-2014, 09:37 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Old
06-06-2014, 10:23 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
By the time Vasiliev wants to come over here, he's not going to want to screw around in the AHL.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
06-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Nice that we are finally not one of the three (well, five now) teams that don't have an ECHL affiliate anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
By the time Vasiliev wants to come over here, he's not going to want to screw around in the AHL.
Fully agreed.

Old
06-08-2014, 11:45 AM
Phillyfan28

Samuel Morin talk in here? Anyone have any credible feedback on his season or care to offer their opinion? Seems as though his point production almost doubled with only 8 more games played
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=126391
His ppg in the playoffs seemed to have gone down, but 4 goals in 11 games seems promising

Found this article from 2 months back, not familiar with the site
http://broadstreetbuzz.com/2014/04/0...-samuel-morin/

Points don't always tell the tale, which I am fully aware of but not much to go off of. I am curious of the opinions of those who know hockey and watched him play, if there were promising improvements this past season and more reasons to be optimistic.

I would assume he has another year with his current team before moving up to the Phantoms in 2015, then maybe 1-2 years there.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:10 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Morin had a very good year. He was Rimouski's best overall defensemen. His point totals would have been higher if he was given more offensive opportunities there. He filled in for Jan Kostalek on the 1st PP unit twice last year & went on a tear with points both times.

I think he goes back to juniors this year but I don't think he spends that much time in the AHL after that.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:49 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Hopefully they give him PP time next season so we can see how many points he can put up when given offensive opportunities. He was great when given time last year so it's disappointing they replaced him when the other guy came back.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Hopefully they give him PP time next season so we can see how many points he can put up when given offensive opportunities. He was great when given time last year so it's disappointing they replaced him when the other guy came back.
Yeah. I think this was especially telling in the playoffs. He had like what, 6 points in the first 6 games, until they took him off? Definitely hope he gets an extended look there next year, and can work on his release.

Old
06-08-2014, 12:59 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf View Post
Yeah. I think this was especially telling in the playoffs. He had like what, 6 points in the first 6 games, until they took him off? Definitely hope he gets an extended look there next year, and can work on his release.
I don't know, I didn't get a chance to watch any of their playoffs. If you're right and that was what happened it makes me wonder about their coach... why take a a player out of a position if he's producing and playing great?

Old
06-08-2014, 12:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He played a lot of tough assignments last year so they were likely trying to manage minutes. Their other top defender won't be back next year after graduating so he'll be the unquestioned #1 next year for Rimouski.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Funf

Quote:
I don't know, I didn't get a chance to watch any of their playoffs. If you're right and that was what happened it makes me wonder about their coach... why take a a player out of a position if he's producing and playing great?
I didn't watch either, just telling what I heard on here. The series was a quick one, if I recall, and Rimouski blew them out in a few of the games. So there's that. Don't know if it means much at all, if anything.

Old
06-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
He played a lot of tough assignments last year so they were likely trying to manage minutes. Their other top defender won't be back next year after graduating so he'll be the unquestioned #1 next year for Rimouski.
That makes sense, but I'd think even then if he's putting up points consistently just leave him where he is until he slows down. It'll be interesting to see how he does next season. Hopefully he keeps progressing like he has been because that would be huge.

Old
06-08-2014, 02:06 PM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
That was my next question, thanks. Can't help but be excited with the potential i guess. I realize its a longshot to reach the lofty Chris Pronger comparisons but on one of the popular junior/whatever hockey pages they have his potential at a 7.5 which based on their scale i expected at least an 8 (with obviously the C as far as chances he ever reaches it)

Old
06-08-2014, 06:24 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfan28 View Post
That was my next question, thanks. Can't help but be excited with the potential i guess. I realize its a longshot to reach the lofty Chris Pronger comparisons but on one of the popular junior/whatever hockey pages they have his potential at a 7.5 which based on their scale i expected at least an 8 (with obviously the C as far as chances he ever reaches it)
His absolute peak is through the roof. However, his chances of reaching that peak aren't as great.

Old
06-09-2014, 02:43 AM
AFTeRMaTH
41st-78th-17th-11th

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
His absolute peak is through the roof. However, his chances of reaching that peak aren't as great.
Yeah so his rating should be like a 8.5D or something. It seems like they make everyone a 7-7.5B/C.... Not very risky predictions.

Old
06-09-2014, 09:46 AM
Phillyfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFTeRMaTH View Post
Yeah so his rating should be like a 8.5D or something. It seems like they make everyone a 7-7.5B/C.... Not very risky predictions.
Yea that was my point. I expected the numerical score to be an 8/8.5 but obviously the C as a scale if he ever hits that seemed reasonable.

Old
06-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Jtown

The improvements morin made on his slapshot this year are uncanny. At the beginning of the year his timing was off and his windup was slow and made him vulnearable to block shot and breakaways the other way. By the end of the year he was very fast with his windup and was looking to shoot more often.

His shot is incredible. Most of his goals this year the goalie barely flinched. His offense is right now ahead of his defense imo. He does has a lot of sheldon souray in him. His defense is good but can be seen as a weakness.

While morin may be the best north to south skating dman from his draft class is east to west and initial acceleration are well below other skaters. This is mainly due to his size and is somethign alot of big men struggle with. The q has a plethora of very small very fast puck handlers that can dangle. In the beginning of the year i noticed many did not try to enter the zone on morin's side. However as the year progresssed i noticed more and more of these diminutive forwards having success against him in tight spaces. I compare this to darnell nurse who is leaps and bounds ahead of morin on the d end. Nurse can stay in front of any forward big or small fast or slow.

Morin is also very hot headed and is a penalty machine. He gets so many roughing and high stick calls and many times he hurts his team by this. I personally love his demeanor after the whistle. I've seen him ragdoll 5'5'' forwards who think he won't bite and i've see him ragdoll 6'4'' guys looking to instigate. The problem is he can't do this all the time. He is going to have to learn to back down one day.

Old
06-09-2014, 06:31 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
The improvements morin made on his slapshot this year are uncanny. At the beginning of the year his timing was off and his windup was slow and made him vulnearable to block shot and breakaways the other way. By the end of the year he was very fast with his windup and was looking to shoot more often.

His shot is incredible. Most of his goals this year the goalie barely flinched. His offense is right now ahead of his defense imo. He does has a lot of sheldon souray in him. His defense is good but can be seen as a weakness.

While morin may be the best north to south skating dman from his draft class is east to west and initial acceleration are well below other skaters. This is mainly due to his size and is somethign alot of big men struggle with. The q has a plethora of very small very fast puck handlers that can dangle. In the beginning of the year i noticed many did not try to enter the zone on morin's side. However as the year progresssed i noticed more and more of these diminutive forwards having success against him in tight spaces. I compare this to darnell nurse who is leaps and bounds ahead of morin on the d end. Nurse can stay in front of any forward big or small fast or slow.

Morin is also very hot headed and is a penalty machine. He gets so many roughing and high stick calls and many times he hurts his team by this. I personally love his demeanor after the whistle. I've seen him ragdoll 5'5'' forwards who think he won't bite and i've see him ragdoll 6'4'' guys looking to instigate. The problem is he can't do this all the time. He is going to have to learn to back down one day.
Yeah but I'm with you..It's possible to take the fight out of a guy, it's not possible to the other way.

Old
06-09-2014, 07:44 PM
hockeyfreak7

What's so promising about Morin for me right now is the fact that he's not even 19 whereas guys like Oleksiak and Siemens were some of the older ones in their draft classes.

Some more meat on his frame and confidence in his game will be the biggest keys to Morin unlocking his potential.

He was also probably the best conditioned athlete at the 2013 draft, too (1st in wingate, T2nd in VO2). If he is an NHL player, I have a hard time not seeing him as the minute eating type. Could very well be another Coburn. People may not like that comparison, but Coburn without consistency issues is pretty close to a #1 guy. If he can add be useful on the PP with his shot, then we could very well have a 30 point, 25-30 minute per game defender. Just wish we could speed up his development...

Old
06-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
What's so promising about Morin for me right now is the fact that he's not even 19 whereas guys like Oleksiak and Siemens were some of the older ones in their draft classes.

Some more meat on his frame and confidence in his game will be the biggest keys to Morin unlocking his potential.

He was also probably the best conditioned athlete at the 2013 draft, too (1st in wingate, T2nd in VO2). If he is an NHL player, I have a hard time not seeing him as the minute eating type. Could very well be another Coburn. People may not like that comparison, but Coburn without consistency issues is pretty close to a #1 guy. If he can add be useful on the PP with his shot, then we could very well have a 30 point, 25-30 minute per game defender. Just wish we could speed up his development...

Don't look too much into this. This is correlated with height.

Closed Thread