HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jarkko Immonen, a New York Ranger

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2005, 04:52 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
If your thinking of adding him ton the RAngers then 26 might be taken by Rucinsky as he's worn it before. But if you've got NHL 2K5 I believe Jarkko and Immonen are in the commentary database so the announcers will say his name.

Immonen is in the database along with Brandon Dubinsky, Tom Pyatt, Jake Taylor, Bruce Graham, Nigel Dawes, and Marc Staal among others.

Old
08-22-2005, 07:06 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

So? It;s no different than with any unproven player

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEY_GURU
Seems to me many of the comments here are based on sheer enthusiam..and i wish Immonen the best, im hoping someone can give an accurate description of his game, his style of play etc... how does he compare to other finns? like jussi jokinen...kapanen... someone mentioned koivu? etc...
and will he really be a star? what are realistic expectations for him? my feel is he has 60-70 point potential but not much higher.... any thoughs?
whether it is Immonen, Parise or Crosby. They all have to show that they got what it takes. The fact that several lower round players are having a shot at making it to the NHL is a good sign. It shows that both our amateur and pro scouts know talent when they see it.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:12 PM
Stinkin' Root Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
The Rangers seem to wait until late afternoon or early evening when it comes to announcing any signings.Sather has that 8am tee time and does not get back to the office until the early afternoon

Keep in mind that it's the same people that send all of the releases out, as well as put together the media guide and other media-related projects, and unless I'm way off, putting together a 300+ page media guide (Stats, bios, etc.) is quite time consuming, esp with all of the recent signings, and takes a lot in order to finish in time for preseason. Add to that the time that goes into writing, editing, re-editing, and re-re-editing (confirming stats, ie) a release before it's sent out, and it's no wonder they're not able to get it out before the end of a regular work day. Imagine 7-8 months of work crammed into 2 months with what I'm sure is a small staff due to the lockout. And just to keep this post relevant - Can't wait to see the kid play!

Old
08-23-2005, 01:08 AM
md17

Star in the making?

Well, as a Finn I certainly hope so, but the idea of Immonen just jumping in to NHL and start producing is more than a little ambitious. Immonen has a very good hockey sense and good pair of hands, but he's not very fast, doesn't play with that great intensity and his overall offensive ability just might never be enough for an offensive role in NHL. He's nowhere near the player Saku Koivu is (or has been...), and he never will be IMO. If you want an opinion on the possible downside with all this 'star in the making' hype, think what Tommi Santala (yes, who?) managed when he came to NA. I wouldn't be too shocked if Immonen made a similar impact. The fact that Rangers are somewhat rebuilding will probably give Jarkko a good chance to show what he can do, which is naturally a good situation for him. Like I said I hope he's worth the hype, but I'll play the pessimistic nay-sayer role here. Just to balance for Padawan if nothing else...

Edit: typo

Last edited by md17: 08-23-2005 at 01:26 AM.
Old
08-23-2005, 01:38 AM
TK79

Quote:
Seems to me many of the comments here are based on sheer enthusiam..and i wish Immonen the best, im hoping someone can give an accurate description of his game, his style of play etc... how does he compare to other finns? like jussi jokinen...kapanen... someone mentioned koivu? etc...
and will he really be a star? what are realistic expectations for him? my feel is he has 60-70 point potential but not much higher.... any thoughs?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Immonen is nowhere near the level Koivu was at 23. I'd call Immonen a 2-3 line center with a upside of 30-40 points a season. He isn't too gritty either, which could be a problem in the NHL. I'd say it's far from a sure thing that he's on the opening day roster for the Rags. Another thing is how he adjusts to life in the Big Apple, since he's a farm-boy who's spent the last few years playing in a 70 000 population town. But he's deffinetly very talented, and a good prospect. Just not the next Koivu.

Old
08-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEYGURU
Jarkko is a well rounded allaround player. He doesn't really have any flaws. He will never be a selke candidate though, but he is not a young kid who have to be "tought" have to play defense. He is also quit strong at 6'0 205-210 lbs.

The big questionmark IMO is his offensive upside. He have great playmaking skills and vision and he have really heavy shoot. Jarkko isn't slow or a bad skater, but he "thinks" on the ice. In the SM-liiga he is on top of the game, he anticipates plays and always knows what to do 2-3 steps ahead. In International Games that haven't been the case, he have had some problems with the pace of the game there. The tempo is faster in the NHL but at the same time the pace isn't really as high, its defenitly much much easier for a smart player to get by in the NHL then in international hockey.

So the question is how he is gooing to be affected by the move to the NHL. Personally I belive that he even might benefit from the smaller ice ect. If I were to compare him with a player it would be Pavol Demitra. Jarkko is a bit more stocky built and Pavol might have a better release.

Old
08-23-2005, 03:23 AM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC
Great sign. Lets have all these kids battle it out. If they want it they have to earn it i say. Excited to see whats in store for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines.

The public address announcer is gonna crap his pants when he reads the roster for the first time, alot of silent vowels and euro pronunciations this year. Nothing like the NECKAR- Netscash thing though lol.
There are no silent vowels in finnish

Finnish is pronounced as it is written, with the basis in the latin alphabet with an addition of the nordic letters.

Old
08-23-2005, 03:57 AM
Padawan
Former power tripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestarin malja
New Raimo Helminen for the Rangers.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=6357

Hope you treat him with patience.
Immonen is alot like Raimo Helminen. Both players are intelligent centers who likes to be a playmaker. Off the ice both are very down to earth guys, slightly shy, talks rarely but always makes to their point clear. It's actually quite scary how much these two players are alike each other. I just hope there's a slight difference with their career. Helminen didn't secure his roster spot in the NHL. Let's hope Immonen does.

Just found out that Immonen's contract is for two seasons. I don't know if it's posted before somewhere and I were blind until now.

Then a extracts from a interview that was in a local paper this morning:

Jarkko Immonen's feet are so firmly on to the ground and his skates to the ice that sometimes it feels like someone should hang that man with his hands to a hot air balloon. The guy would hover even once.

Because even a contract with the legendary NHL team New York Rangers doesn't get this center off the ground.

The Rangers announced the contract before 8 pm finnish time. In the evening Immonen answered the phone as calm as he always is.

- I am happy with the contract. The pay in farm isn't much but if I get to play in the NHL, with that you can manage, said Immonen.

Immonen will leave over the pond with no delusions.

- The plan is to play in the NHL, but you have to be ready for that you might have start "down", Immonen had figured.

- The ice time. That's the most important thing, Immonen repeated what he had said many times before.

The negotiating taked about two weeks.

- The first offer came when the rally weekend was (Neste Rally Finland 4th-7th of August). After that there wasn't any offers for a long time until last saturday things took one huge leap, Immonen told.

Immonen didn't know what to say about the possibilities to get a playing roster spot from the Rangers.

- I haven't even checked how many centers or forward they have, Immonen pointed out.

The fan favourite is taking the biggest step of his career. From Rantasalmi ( a village in Finland) to Manhattan is a damn long way to go.

- Yeah it is. The village is getting larger too. I'll go there to try and see what it makes out.

Edit: Forgot about the picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Immonen_1.jpg‎ (38.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by Padawan: 08-23-2005 at 04:25 AM.
Old
08-23-2005, 06:29 AM
gib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
Uhh, why did it disappear on the ranger website?
They actually sign the contract today (that was also in the local newspaper) so it wasn`t "official" yesterday. I think that is why they took it away from their website.

Old
08-23-2005, 09:54 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by gib
They actually sign the contract today (that was also in the local newspaper) so it wasn`t "official" yesterday. I think that is why they took it away from their website.

Maybe Sather is gonna announce more than one signing. He has done this before. Im hoping for Radulov who is 22 UFA from the Hawks.

Old
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
There are no silent vowels in finnish

Finnish is pronounced as it is written, with the basis in the latin alphabet with an addition of the nordic letters.
lol im not sure its pronounced the way I read it belive me ive tried, would love to learn the language but its one tough one

Old
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padawan
Immonen is alot like Raimo Helminen. Both players are intelligent centers who likes to be a playmaker. Off the ice both are very down to earth guys, slightly shy, talks rarely but always makes to their point clear. It's actually quite scary how much these two players are alike each other. I just hope there's a slight difference with their career. Helminen didn't secure his roster spot in the NHL. Let's hope Immonen does.

Just found out that Immonen's contract is for two seasons. I don't know if it's posted before somewhere and I were blind until now.

Then a extracts from a interview that was in a local paper this morning:

Jarkko Immonen's feet are so firmly on to the ground and his skates to the ice that sometimes it feels like someone should hang that man with his hands to a hot air balloon. The guy would hover even once.

Because even a contract with the legendary NHL team New York Rangers doesn't get this center off the ground.

The Rangers announced the contract before 8 pm finnish time. In the evening Immonen answered the phone as calm as he always is.

- I am happy with the contract. The pay in farm isn't much but if I get to play in the NHL, with that you can manage, said Immonen.

Immonen will leave over the pond with no delusions.

- The plan is to play in the NHL, but you have to be ready for that you might have start "down", Immonen had figured.

- The ice time. That's the most important thing, Immonen repeated what he had said many times before.

The negotiating taked about two weeks.

- The first offer came when the rally weekend was (Neste Rally Finland 4th-7th of August). After that there wasn't any offers for a long time until last saturday things took one huge leap, Immonen told.

Immonen didn't know what to say about the possibilities to get a playing roster spot from the Rangers.

- I haven't even checked how many centers or forward they have, Immonen pointed out.

The fan favourite is taking the biggest step of his career. From Rantasalmi ( a village in Finland) to Manhattan is a damn long way to go.

- Yeah it is. The village is getting larger too. I'll go there to try and see what it makes out.

Edit: Forgot about the picture.
Pawadan - I'm interested in hearing your opinion on Sami Lepisto,and how you would project him in the NHL, and whos style does he closest resemble? I know wrong thread to ask this , but im not sure if i ask elsewhere if youd get a chance to read it, your comemnts would be much appreciated

Old
08-23-2005, 12:39 PM
mattihp

vCash: 256
Quote:
Pawadan - I'm interested in hearing your opinion on Sami Lepisto,and how you would project him in the NHL, and whos style does he closest resemble? I know wrong thread to ask this , but im not sure if i ask elsewhere if youd get a chance to read it, your comemnts would be much appreciated
Wrong team for Padawan try the Finland boards, there are a couple of Jokerit fans there.

Old
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp
Wrong team for Padawan try the Finland boards, there are a couple of Jokerit fans there.
Ok well anyone whos seen him play then, and i know maybe this is better in the Finnish board but since theres afew Finnsa discussing matters here thought id get more immediate help, also ive had trouble getting intoi those boards... and when i do there doesnet seem to be much activity.

Old
08-23-2005, 01:05 PM
Padawan
Former power tripper

Quote:
Ok well anyone whos seen him play then, and i know maybe this is better in the Finnish board but since theres afew Finnsa discussing matters here thought id get more immediate help, also ive had trouble getting intoi those boards... and when i do there doesnet seem to be much activity.
Oh, there's activity. Just ask a question and people will answer.

Old
08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

www.newyorkrangers.com finally has it up.

Old
08-23-2005, 05:10 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
lol im not sure its pronounced the way I read it belive me ive tried, would love to learn the language but its one tough one
Sure it is! Just put emphasis on the first sylable and double letters. Also, remember that "ä" is pronounced like the a in hat; "a" is the a park; "ö" is pronounced like an '-er'; and "o" is pronounced like the word "awe". "j" is pronounced like an English "y" (just like in German and Swedish). "y" is pronounced like a German "ü", roughly like if "oo" in "loo" (like in Swedish). And always roll the letter "r".

Thus Immonen becomes "IM-maw-nen", Pikkarainen becomes "PEEK-car-eye-nen", Nieminen "NEE-ay-mee-nen", Korpikoski is easy "KOR-pikoski".

See, now isn't that EASY?

What I would like would be for someone to fill me in on how to pronounce Sean Bergenheim's name. Isn't it Norwegian?

Old
08-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
What I would like would be for someone to fill me in on how to pronounce Sean Bergenheim's name. Isn't it Norwegian?
I don't know where it comes from but apparently it's pronounced either "bärjenheim" or "berjenhaim".

Old
08-24-2005, 01:40 AM
HOCKEY_GURU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Sure it is! Just put emphasis on the first sylable and double letters. Also, remember that "ä" is pronounced like the a in hat; "a" is the a park; "ö" is pronounced like an '-er'; and "o" is pronounced like the word "awe". "j" is pronounced like an English "y" (just like in German and Swedish). "y" is pronounced like a German "ü", roughly like if "oo" in "loo" (like in Swedish). And always roll the letter "r".

Thus Immonen becomes "IM-maw-nen", Pikkarainen becomes "PEEK-car-eye-nen", Nieminen "NEE-ay-mee-nen", Korpikoski is easy "KOR-pikoski".

See, now isn't that EASY?

Kiitos - tho i think chineese arithmatic is still easier

Old
08-24-2005, 02:11 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Interesting to see Immonen got a two-way deal, and seems prepared to play in the minors if that's what the Rangers decide.

Old
08-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Pekka Lampinen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
I don't know where it comes from but apparently it's pronounced either "bärjenheim" or "berjenhaim".
His Canadian heritage hints heavily of German, in which case it's bare-ghenn-hyme.

I'm a little worried about Immonen. Amidst these expectations, it wouldn't be pretty to tally, say, 60 games and 15 points in the NHL over the next two seasons.

Old
08-24-2005, 05:23 AM
MaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekka Lampinen
I'm a little worried about Immonen. Amidst these expectations, it wouldn't be pretty to tally, say, 60 games and 15 points in the NHL over the next two seasons.
Yeah, I must say there's been unbelievable amount of discussion considering the talent level of the player. This is just HF boards though, so there shouldn't be that much influence and pressure on his play, but some of the comments on the boards might not be that flattering if he doesn't break it.

Old
08-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Padawan
Former power tripper

Just a minor news. Jarkko Immonen did not join JYP for the Swiss tourney. He stayed home to get his personal matters sorted.

Old
08-25-2005, 10:58 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
Interesting to see Immonen got a two-way deal, and seems prepared to play in the minors if that's what the Rangers decide.
All entry level contracts under the new, as well as the old, CBA are two-way contracts.

Old
08-26-2005, 12:06 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
All entry level contracts under the new, as well as the old, CBA are two-way contracts.
This makes sense - there are a number of quotes from Immonen saying all the right things about "well, if I have to start in Hartford, I'll do my best there and hope to earn a call-up" posted elsewhere on HF from our Finnish translators. That would seem to jibe with Brooklyn Ranger's post.

And I'm glad to hear he has this attitude. Very refreshing - especially given that he was talking to the Finnish media, not the NY Post.

Closed Thread