HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where should Richards play?

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Brad*

vCash: 500
Where should Richards play?

This has been a reoccurring thought of mine during the last few days. The general consensus around HFboards is that he will or should be playing on the 4th line, with Donald Brashear and Tuner Stevenson. I think there are better options.

The first problem with this in my mind is that he's too good to be put with those players. Yes, he is still a rookie, but his talent level is obviously above that of Brashear and Stevenson. Secondly, I don't believe his style of play lends himself all that well to those two, either. Brashear is a goon, albeit one who can play decently, and Stevenson is just a 4th liner - really nothing more.

My thought process was to play Mike Richards on the third line, at right wing, with Kapanen on the left and Primeau centering - or some variation of that. Now I understand that Richards is a natural center, but this would not be a permanent change as the Flyers will not have an overabundance of good centers forever. But for this year, I think Richards' style of play and skill level would make him a very good fit for the checking line.

The obvious byproduct of this move would be, what becomes of Sharp? I don't know; perhaps he plays on the fourth line, or perhaps Richards starts the season on the 4th line and Sharp on the 3rd, and Sharp is dealt at the deadline as part of a package for a top-6 winger? Again, I don't know. I just think that Richards would be better suited to play on the third line as opposed to the 4th.

Your turn.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:42 PM
Dr Love

If you put him at RW then Kramer and Carter are both playing out of position. I'm not entirely opposed to that--I guess playing 14 minutes at RW is better than 8 minutes at C for them--but they're not here to be wingers, they're here to be a knockout 1-2 punch down the middle. Of course, when Floppa gets hurt--and he will--one of them will move to center.

Sharp would be the 4th line center. He hasn't really struck me as anything but a 4th liner/part time 3rd liner.

Old
08-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Brad*

I agree, I'm not that enamored with Sharp either.

I just want Forsberg to be healthy for the playoffs, anything else is just gravy.

Carter to the right wing is definitely just temporary. I feel that if he comes in and has an impressive year, Handzus's days are therefore numbered.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
I've been playing around with positions and what about pairing him with Kapanen and Primeau? Primeau can play left wing while Kapanen is a natural right winger. He is fantastic at faceoffs and is defensively responsible enough for Hitch's likeings. Another bonus of having this setup is that Primes might be more durable since playing wing earns less abuse than a center.
Sharp would be available to center the fourth line between Brash and Stevenson for a pretty solid checking line, but nothing more. This would also free up Radio to play right wing next to Handzus, which mind you, is where he played best last year. So maybe something like

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Primeau-Richards-Kapanen
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

Old
08-19-2005, 09:27 PM
FlyersProspect2

Send a message via AIM to FlyersProspect2
I'd have Carter and Richards move around between center and wing through out the season to get them confortable with the offense. They way it looks it that they'll both be starting at wing when the season opens, but when injuries occur at center you can move them to center. Either way they'll get their minutes as long as their playing smart hockey.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:46 PM
MojoJojo

I say trade Handzus for a winger and play Richards on the third line if he does well in the first half of the season. I know this is going to rub guys the wrong way here, but thats the most logical solution. Zeus has value, we are deep at center and thin on wings.

Old
08-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Gags1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
I've been playing around with positions and what about pairing him with Kapanen and Primeau? Primeau can play left wing while Kapanen is a natural right winger. He is fantastic at faceoffs and is defensively responsible enough for Hitch's likeings. Another bonus of having this setup is that Primes might be more durable since playing wing earns less abuse than a center.
Sharp would be available to center the fourth line between Brash and Stevenson for a pretty solid checking line, but nothing more. This would also free up Radio to play right wing next to Handzus, which mind you, is where he played best last year. So maybe something like

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Primeau-Richards-Kapanen
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
I like the lines a lot. Richards has to be at center because he'll be the best faceoff man on the team. Forsberg will center that #1 line because he's the better defensive player, but Carter will take all of the faceoffs. The only other option would be to move Handzus to wing if you want to get Richards onto one of the top 3 lines. I know Zus played some wing earlier in his career and he could be effective. I like your lines, but the other option would be:

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Handzus-Richards-Knuble
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

It depends on who would make the better winger; primeau or handzus. I think no matter what we're going to have a top five #1 line and a top 5 #3 line. The second line will be solid, certainly top 15 and the 4th line should be very effective in their ability to throw their weight around, provide a little offense, and not be a liability.

Old
08-19-2005, 10:30 PM
i am dave

I would like to see Richards get plenty of PK time.

I also recall some folks saying Richards might not be versatile enough to play wing. I don't know how warranted or un-warranted that was.

Old
08-19-2005, 10:41 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gags1288
Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Handzus-Richards-Knuble
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
does anyone think that carter should be given a shot to center Gags and Forsberg, and also move richards to the wing? i like these combos a little better to start, atleast until they show they can't handle their assignments.

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Richards-Handzus-Knuble
Kapanen-Primeau-Radio
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

Old
08-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Didn't Brashear play some with Primeau and Kapanen? I say try to put Brashear on that line, then let Richards center Sharp and Stevenson. It's not fair to make anyone play with BOTH Brashear and Stevenson. Well, I guess you could make a giant line of Brashear, Primeau, and Stevenson. That would be one big line, but other than being a freakshow line, it wouldn't serve much purpose.

Old
08-19-2005, 11:03 PM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
Didn't Brashear play some with Primeau and Kapanen? I say try to put Brashear on that line, then let Richards center Sharp and Stevenson. It's not fair to make anyone play with BOTH Brashear and Stevenson. Well, I guess you could make a giant line of Brashear, Primeau, and Stevenson. That would be one big line, but other than being a freakshow line, it wouldn't serve much purpose.
"The Dan Line," anybody?

Old
08-19-2005, 11:09 PM
Brad*

Quote:

Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Primeau-Richards-Kapanen
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
That looks good, only I'd rather have Forsberg at center this season.

Old
08-19-2005, 11:49 PM
King Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
I say trade Handzus for a winger and play Richards on the third line if he does well in the first half of the season. I know this is going to rub guys the wrong way here, but thats the most logical solution. Zeus has value, we are deep at center and thin on wings.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:14 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
I give up. I'm shooting myself. I'd almost love to see them trade Zeus so that people could see what would happen.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
I have to agree - Handzus' is a very good player but- he is over-valued IMO. We're so deep at center it would be foolish to force all these Cs out of position especially in the playoffs.

Keep Handzus around until the deadline in case anybody gets hurt and then cash him in for a stud winger. I think we could get somebody really good for Handzus - then play the new guy on the wing with Richards (or whomever) and there's a seriously good Flyers team.

I have a feeling this is what BC intends to do.

Old
08-20-2005, 12:55 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
I give up. I'm shooting myself. I'd almost love to see them trade Zeus so that people could see what would happen.
Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? wing by a long shot.

Would you rather trade Primeau or Forsberg to make room?

Name a winger of comparable overall value in the league to Handzus. A winger YOU think is of equal value. Heck - think of a winger that is a little better than Hanzus. WE CAN GET THAT PLAYER with Handzus. Why on earth wouldn't you do it???

What GM would be less likely to do that deal than BC???

Just let Carter play center a LOT. Oh yeah and don't trade Primeau or Forsberg.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 08-20-2005 at 09:19 AM.
Old
08-20-2005, 01:16 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Gagne-Carter-Forsberg
Knuble-Handzus-Radio
Primeau-Richards-Kapanen
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson
Gagne-Carter-Forsberg or Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Primeau-Kapanen
Sharp-Kramer-Radio
Brashear-Handzus-Stevens

if we are healthy come the trade deadline, I am also not opposed to trading Hanzus for a top 6 winger.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:20 AM
Brad*

Why would Handzus be playing with Brashear and Stevens, while Primeau gets offensive players? Handzus has better offensive skills then Primeau does.

Old
08-20-2005, 01:49 AM
mikedifr

First of all, stop trading Handzus. He isnt going anywhere, as much as you people would like, until Carter and Richards prove themselves. Everyone is ready to hand over a position to them but people forget that Thornton started on the 3/4th line. Most players do NOT have an immediate impact. Handzus is an important player on this team and would have prob have been traded by now if he was going to be.

Second, sharp is NOT, i repeat, NOT going to be a center in the NHL because he is very poor at faceoffs. Hitch and Clarke have both said this and Sharp has played wing with Primeau in the NHL and Carter in the AHL. He is a poor man's Justin Williams.

Third, how can anyone say we are thin at center?????? Forsberg, Handzus and Primeau alone are one of the best combinations in the league. Add Richards, Carter, Umberger etc and they have prob some of the best depth at center. The flyers are weak on the wings. After Gagne and maybe Knuble who is proven??

Old
08-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Third, how can anyone say we are thin at center?????? Forsberg, Handzus and Primeau alone are one of the best combinations in the league. Add Richards, Carter, Umberger etc and they have prob some of the best depth at center. The flyers are weak on the wings. After Gagne and maybe Knuble who is proven??
I don't think anyone said that.

Old
08-20-2005, 06:46 AM
Nuclear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
No one said that, everyone in this topic said the exact oppisite.

Old
08-20-2005, 07:58 AM
blah

Gagne-Forsberg-Carter
Knuble-Handzus-Radivojevic
Kapanen-Richards-Primeau
Brashear-Sharp-Stevenson

Old
08-20-2005, 08:00 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
Someone with some talent is going to have to play with Brashear and Stevenson on the 4th line. That is, if Brashear and Stevenson stay together.

Old
08-20-2005, 08:01 AM
blah

Primeau can center that line in certain situations I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing Sharp get some IT with Kapanen and Richards either.

Old
08-20-2005, 08:26 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

"Come on!!! I like him too but the most important question is this - Where are we thinner - center or wing? CENTER by a long shot." Mountaneer,I'm sure you meant thinner at wing? I say we keep Zeus.Rarely have I been so positive of a sure thing in Philly,but I think Carter and Richards are that.I'd still keep Zeus around for the transition though.

Closed Thread