HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PowerPlayManager.com #12 - Basketball Beta Starts Monday!

Closed Thread

Old
05-09-2014, 11:09 AM
redcard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
The worst team in I.1 is my team and then its Melon , Repairmen. I have the opportunity to go 0-7 today.
And then its Last Place McGees rounding out the bottom 4....good to see HF representing so well with, all we need is for camrawn to start dropping games and joining us.

Repairmen are looking grim. Still running with a 22 year old, 275 or goalie because I can't pull a better one. Don't have cash to purchase one and need to sell 30 mil worth of players to be able to meet my facility goals. 7th pick in the draft means I'll get a B, but no idea what that will look like.

In hockey I'm sitting about where I expected, had a legitimate shot at reaching the semi-finals in the National Cup until my starting goalie went down with an injury. That dropped my total team strength by 26 points. I'm burning energy like crazy but hoping the extra exp points pay off. Playoffs are unlikely, 9 points back of 8th with 15 to go, but also 10 points up on the relegation zone. Relegating is still a possibility with the amount of energy I'm burning but worst case scenario I pop down hoard OTR and give my young guys ample playing time before coming back up a little stronger.

Soccer is pretty typical, should finish in the 8-10 range for the 6th time in 8 seasons. Pretty easy schedule from here on out with only 1 team over 100 TS. And of course, just like every season, I have an outside shot at an international cup, as I should qualify as the 5th team in the CwC if Grisons wins it....but I won't hold my breath.

Old
05-09-2014, 12:43 PM
suprvilce

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Ugh... so..... I just spent 93.3M in handball for a 15 year old goalie (eq 86%), 334 OR (6/6). Probably too much but my SA hasn't given me any decent goalies. Now i can finally relax, stop browsing the market and start upgrading my team. I'll have about 5M left now so it will take some time to get some cash to upgrade anything - my poor 7.9M general sponsor certanly won't be of much use this season. I'll play most of the season on normal match importance to prevent any atendance penalties and to give my playrs some decent XP.

Though... my two backs i pulled last season both have only 70% EQ and I'd like to replace at least one with a better player for the long term since they train about 0.2 less than other regulars and will start lagging soon if they haven't already. Two of my three backs have scoring under 45% which is very poor considering i'm not in top division anymore but in II.x. The Czech back i bought last season who is now at 343 OR is probably my weakest link but hopefully by next season he becomes more stable and not such a liability. I did buy him to be just offensive but i play him on defense to to increase his XP gain. So i need one more back with good block Q but hopefully i pull a player with good Qs this season finally (in s2 and s3 only one player over 70% and that is 72% wing with 73.5% EQ so my pulls have had very poor Qs over the last few seasons).

I will play my new goalie every game all 60 minutes no matter his preformance to get his XP up (he'll surpass my current goalie before the end of the season) to be ready for next season when i'll actually be interested in winning, this season is still more of a 2nd phase of rebuild. I think goalies have higher ratings than offensive or defensive line so the fact i bought my goalie one season later than most of my team shouldn't be a problem.

Hopefully i pull a decent goalie this season also or i'll buy one for cheap to be backup later on. I think after few seasons i'll sell most of my team (since i'll be behind in arena/facilities) and after that play my backups, so i'll be working on a backup team soon. Hopefully my SA and draft will be kind to me at least a little.
34 rating in first game, with 0 xp or chem, so he's already kicking. Old goalie had 38.

My player with highest shot (76) is 14 / 25 in 7m this season, VERY VERY bad. Anyone has any idea how to improve that? I'm planning to train him shot to 100 and then balance other attributes (Fip:shot 1:1 for wingers).

A theoretical question: say you are ready to pick in draft and you have two options, one A+ 5/6 and one A 6/6. Who do you pick?

Old
05-09-2014, 01:01 PM
camrawrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
And then its Last Place McGees rounding out the bottom 4....good to see HF representing so well with, all we need is for camrawn to start dropping games and joining us.
I see a losing streak in my future. I'm doing everything I can to try to maintain a playoff spot, but I dunno if I can keep it up. I'm hopefully bringing in a winger in 6 days to complete my lineup. After that, I'll take a couple weeks to build chemistry, then try to find a credit tournament that doesn't have 10+ teams with over 45 team strength. I really want to win enough credits to get a decent Pro Pack in basketball, since that will likely be my main sport, along with hockey.

Then in a few seasons, I'm going to sell all of my foreign players, max out my facilities, and play my American prospects to hopefully help out with the national team.

Also, I'd just like to say that it's frustrating to see teams that are top 10 in team strength, OTR, and money. How can that happen? They're not even behind in facilities or arena... meh.

Old
05-09-2014, 01:30 PM
tujague

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakezomg View Post
I still have no idea how I'm able to keep getting fourth in soccer with a weaker strength rating than many other teams. Maybe there's some special magic in playing a 4-3-3 and most games on Normal? It's pretty likely I'll hold on and finish in fourth as well, since I should win 3 and lose 1 of my remaining games.

Actually, looking through the team ratings, I see that I've probably got the fourth or fifth best rating right now, after accounting for subs lowering other team's ratings. I definitely remember starting the season with only something like the eight or tenth best rating, so maybe the secret is having a bunch of backups who are close to as good as my starters and able to keep my rating loss from being as severe as other teams with only one good guy per position. I can get away with playing most games on Normal and not being punished too severely for it due to my depth.
I assume Arlington is ahead of you still. And I'm pretty sure I'm a few points better if I use my starters. But I've been killing my team for a while now. The ****ers didn't produce so I just started grinding *****es down. My top players are down to 74-75, and the youngsters who I am also grinding down are 85 & below.

This soccer season has really messed with my head

Quote:
Anybody have guesses as to how much Lukas Huurman will cost me in free agency? His stats are:

I'm wondering how much of my soccer nest egg will be left to go looking for a new guy, or if it'll get wiped out, and I'll have to rebuild it just to spend it all on keeping Mohd Atiq bin Sulong at home in the following season.
How good has Hurrmann been for you so far? I might need a new forward soon

I have no money

And no clue how much he's going to cost you. I haven't had an RFA or bought an RFA yet.

Quote:
Ugh... so..... I just spent 93.3M in handball for a 15 year old goalie (eq 86%), 334 OR (6/6). Probably too much but my SA hasn't given me any decent goalies.
Holy ****. 93M on a handball player? Wow.

Old
05-09-2014, 02:12 PM
tujague

Quote:
My player with highest shot (76) is 14 / 25 in 7m this season, VERY VERY bad. Anyone has any idea how to improve that? I'm planning to train him shot to 100 and then balance other attributes (Fip:shot 1:1 for wingers).
I wonder if they changed something. My guy has been pretty good at 7m throws for a while now, but it seems like he's missing a lot more this season. And my goalies generally suck at defending them and he's at 50% right now.

I have to check my stats to see if Woodall's as bad as it seems this season. Yep. 9/14 this season. He's been much better than that the last two seasons. 139/160 and 143/174. It's a small sample size, but that's not even close. My goalie the last two seasons was at 18 & 19%. He's at 50% this season. What?

Quote:
A theoretical question: say you are ready to pick in draft and you have two options, one A+ 5/6 and one A 6/6. Who do you pick?
That's a brutal question. I can't really trust either rating because of the crappy scouting...Damn. That's a good Q. I like to avoid this situation by only scouting 6/6

If forced, I might go with the A+ 5/6. But I wouldn't be happy about it. Ugh. No. I couldn't do that. I'd have to go with 6/6. It's just too important. Damn, suprvilce. That's a tough question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camrawrn View Post
Also, I'd just like to say that it's frustrating to see teams that are top 10 in team strength, OTR, and money. How can that happen? They're not even behind in facilities or arena... meh.
Start at the top, or get a great SA and get to the top quickly. Then you have all of that and you can stay at the top. Forever.

But nothing is wrong with the financial system. Nope.

Quote:
And of course, just like every season, I have an outside shot at an international cup, as I should qualify as the 5th team in the CwC if Grisons wins it....but I won't hold my breath.
You poor ******* How often have you just missed the ICs now?

Old
05-09-2014, 02:35 PM
redcard

Quote:
34 rating in first game, with 0 xp or chem, so he's already kicking. Old goalie had 38.

My players are a combined 17/20 this season, their shot=Fip.

Quote:
Probably the 6/6, especially in Hockey or Soccer where it would take longer to crack a line-up. Handball I might be tempted to take the A+ as that player could potentially see playing time immediately.

Old
05-09-2014, 02:42 PM
Bulls4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by tescosamoa View Post
The worst team in I.1 is my team and then its Melon , Repairmen. I have the opportunity to go 0-7 today.
I am at the bottom but i have not played my full line yet. I'm experiencing somethings that I hope it pays off with gained knowledge in the future.

Im almost done with experiments so my team "should" start to gain some positions although i think my team is a marginal playoff team after i sold my back and pivot.

Old
05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
You poor ******* How often have you just missed the ICs now?
Further investigation, I'm out regardless, didn't see Sterling Cheetahs had the seeding advantage.

Season 6 - Ranked 3rd in Nat cup, only 2 teams + Season 5 winner (you) made the CwC....missed by 1 team, would have made it under current system (4 teams to both)
Season 7 - Ranked 5th in Nat cup (7th due to seeding), missed by 4 teams, would have made it under current system
Season 8 - Didn't come very close, missed by 8 teams
Season 9 - Ranked 5th in I.1, 4 teams made it to ChL, missed by 1 team
Season 10 - Ranked 9th in Nat Cup, (12th due to seeding), missed by 4 teams
Season 11 - Ranked 5th in Nat Cup (8th due to seeding), missed by 1 team
Season 12 - Ranked 9th in Nat cup (14th due to seeding), missed by 4 teams...(finished 8th in league, so missed ChL by 3 teams but that's a bit different)
Season 13 - If Grisons wins I miss the Nat cup by 1 team, if not than by 2.

7 times that 1 more win in the Nat cup would have put me in ChL, the 1 time I made the semi's I didn't make it, any other season I would have. The 3 times I lost in the Quarters weren't enough, but the other 4 seasons just making the Quarters would have been.

The problem is that every team in the cups are gaining OTR and money, widening the gaps, but even just as bad is the teams promoting with the inflated OTRs. This is Sterling Cheetahs first season in I.1, because of the promotion not reducing OTR as much and the Nat Cup seeding based on beginning OTR he starts as the 10th team, and my team as the 12th. So even though we both lost the same round, and I'll pass him in OTR by the end of the season or early next season, he's still next in line. Next season, at least 3 teams will promote and start the season with higher OTRs than mine and keep me down as the 12th/13th seed.

I'm pretty much at a loss as to what to do, relegating doesn't seem like the answer as it would kill my OTR just to do it, not to mention the sponsorship difference. I could sell off some youth to buy cheaper vets to get me over the hump but that could be detrimental if it doesn't work. As grim as it sounds, I feel as if my only real chance is waiting for someone ahead of me to quit.

Old
05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Bulls4ever

Quote:
Further investigation, I'm out regardless, didn't see Sterling Cheetahs had the seeding advantage.
As grim as it sounds, I feel as if my only real chance is waiting for someone ahead of me to quit.
That is the reality and that is what i dont like at PPM.

some keep saying its patience and building but it is not. It is patience to wait for someone to quit ... Good luck. It must suck missing by a few teams every season

Old
05-09-2014, 04:14 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls4ever View Post
I am at the bottom but i have not played my full line yet. I'm experiencing somethings that I hope it pays off with gained knowledge in the future.

Im almost done with experiments so my team "should" start to gain some positions although i think my team is a marginal playoff team after i sold my back and pivot.

I am just building experience on the whole team and spinning games for the next bit. Sooner or later I will switch the energy to VH to just build experience on the players as I am playing the whole team this year. Figured I would struggle, so may as well use this year to gather resources and gain experience for next year and the year after.

What the heck... lost to Crips in Hockey today... And 1-6 in handball now. Coming back

Last edited by tescosamoa: 05-09-2014 at 04:20 PM. Reason: ..
Old
05-09-2014, 04:28 PM
camrawrn

I got absolutely demolished by Salt Lake today. However, I think I FINALLY figured out the last piece of the puzzle that is handball tactics. I'll have to test it over the first half of the season or so, but I think I got it.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:48 PM
BrettHullsToe
'99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
How good has Hurrmann been for you so far? I might need a new forward soon
He hasn't been a runaway success, but good enough to keep me relevant. Top tier forwards are rare and expensive - it was much easier getting a solid CD and CM.

Old
05-09-2014, 10:42 PM
tescosamoa

Quote:

You gotta spend money to make money :-)

Old
05-10-2014, 06:52 AM
Bulls4ever

I thought i were going to draft a player by most needed position, but I will go for best available. Maybe in 2016 I can find my top prospect goalie ...

Old
05-10-2014, 07:20 AM
suprvilce

Final scouting for handball draft gave me 5/6 A back. If i had to chose i'd still almost rather pick a 6/6 B goalie. Somehow i'm hoping someone picks that 5/6 A before me or i will be forced to take him

Old
05-10-2014, 08:07 AM
tescosamoa

I need a G, LB,CB,LW,RW . 8 players below 60% Q in their positions. Goal this year is to get that to a point where 70% is the baseline for players.

Old
05-10-2014, 08:12 AM
suprvilce

I said to myself after season 2 ended: This season (s3) i will get lots of good players. And i kind of did, three are over 370, one over 340, three more over 300 i think, but their Qs are meh. So i said to myself at the end of season 3: This season (s4) i will get less players but at least two TOP ones. We'll see in few months if i was right

Old
05-10-2014, 10:16 AM
suprvilce

Draft is over and i managed to snag my A ranked player at 6th pick Looks like there were two other As that i didn't scout (probably at the top where i never scout). The 5/6 A that i scouted turned out to be a B after he was drafted by another team.

Old
05-10-2014, 07:20 PM
camrawrn

Well, the draft is complete. My top 3 players went in the first three picks, so I had to settle for my #4 - a universal B winger. Then I drafted a right winger with my crap pick, and he dropped to a C from a B. Hopefully the OR on them will be decent.

Old
05-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Bulls4ever

As expected I would not have any scouted player with my second round.

If my A player becomes a B type of player as "good" as the goalie then i will regret not picking the goalie, else I was able to grab a good Universal Back that hopefully will be a good one to replace Tubbs or if not to be a CB.

Old
05-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Cory
Hockeytown

After nothing but Bs and Cs I finally found an A+ in the draft for hockey! There are two problems, though. He's 5/6 and he's auto-ranked slightly above my pick position. This draft may actually be a nail-biter for me. Let's face it though, he's going to end up being auto-picked by an inactive team and won't see the light of day on the ice.

P.S.- 89% scouting efficiency means there's a damn good chance he's a real star.

Old
05-11-2014, 01:43 AM
canucks357

I'm baaaAAAAAaaaack.

About to hop on a 01:30 flight from PHX to CLT then to BUF then home. JoruneZephyr was wonderful in the sitter role. Landed me two ~500 OR 4*+ players in soccer from the SA. Naturally it is week 14/16. Handball draft was ****. Got a Universal 6/6 B-rated back. Showed up 257 OR and 3*. Pulled and will scout but he's likely a training-camp filler type player.

Old
05-11-2014, 04:06 AM
suprvilce

Welcome back Canucks!

I got my players from Draft. My A player turned out to be 255 OR 3* everywhere and 3.5* for Pivot. What is surprising is that the palyer i picked in second round who was B but turned out to be a C after picking him is a 327 OR 2x 4* and 2x 4.5* player. Hidden gem anyone?

Old
05-11-2014, 06:59 AM
tescosamoa

My A+ showed up as 272or 4 star goalie, 4.5* rest. Or was low and I was ecstatic about the rating's. So I stayed up for his arrival. Unscouted. Its 44/73/61/64/64/81/74/48. Ummm 4* g... It was bad enough he was a5/6, but that is a cruel joke, I am not impressed with this at all, the other guy is a c, going to scout then drop or sell

Old
05-11-2014, 07:02 AM
tujague

Welcome back, nucks.

Quote:

I got my players from Draft. My A player turned out to be 255 OR 3* everywhere and 3.5* for Pivot. What is surprising is that the palyer i picked in second round who was B but turned out to be a C after picking him is a 327 OR 2x 4* and 2x 4.5* player. Hidden gem anyone?
Wow. Very lucky, suprvilce

My first round player was an A (or a B according to others at the draft). Turned into a B after drafting (or an A according to those same others at the draft). So I don't know what he is, but I loved getting the draftees so soon after the draft. Didn't we have to wait a day or two after the first hockey draft?

He came in with 3.5 stars and 291OR. That's good for third worst on the team. The guys behind him were just guys I needed for camps at the end of the season. One has already been fired. Unscouted Frankie Nunez looks bad (60--71 Qs), but I'm crossing my fingers for something a bit better once scouted. AQ is 85, so that's got me a bit excited. I know he's not that good, but I'd love to see a 10 point bump for each attribute.

Closed Thread