HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr doesn't want captaincy...Come on down Jamie Lundmark!

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

vCash: 500
Jagr doesn't want captaincy...Come on down Jamie Lundmark!

Quote:
Rodent:
"Have you discussed a possibility that you could be the new Rangers captain?"

Jagr: In my opinion, the captain should be an American or a Canadian. Even though I've played in the NHL for many years, I still feel there is a language barrier. I don't have the proper accent. I can't react as quickly and correctly.

These things are important if you want to retain the respect of other guys. It's like some Chinese guy came to your office to give you advice about how to write your hockey coverage.

If you want to be a good captain, you must know how to fix many things both on and off the ice. I did this four years in Pittsburgh. But now I feel it would be better for our team if someone else was captain.
http://hockeyrodent.com/r1290.htm

Has Jagr looked at our roster lately? All of our vets are European: Kaspar, Malik, Rucinksy, Jagr, Straka, Nylander. Unless you want to pass off Nylander as NA or hand the leadership to an indifferent Poti. We may as well go with the rotating A's, but if they want a firm captain who is strictly NA things don't look to good. Now obviously this is just Jagr babbling, but would he be upset and cause a problem if Kaspar got the C?

Who would you want to make captain?

Old
08-22-2005, 01:48 PM
CrookedRain

Dude, the easiest way to handle this one is to let the players vote for their captain once camp is over. That's the guy who has the respect of his teammates and he guy they'll follow.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Fletch

Go with 3 'As'...

there will clearly be no leader on this team to begin the season. Someone will have to grow into it, and most likely surprise the rest of the world, as he emerges as a leader. In the meantime, pick none, if that's legal. I cannot imagine any of these players, except for Jagr, being this team's captain.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:14 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Yea, the 3 A's idea should be the way to go. I remember another team did this last season..i forgot who..I think it was Atlanta or Columbus?

Maybe a true captain will emerge from that..

Old
08-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Original6

Jagr is just being a *****. It's clear he wants to go back home and play for a czech league.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:24 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Give it to Kaspar. Hes a good team guy.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Take it from an old Pens fan... Jagr is not captian material.

Straka would make a much better captain.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:30 PM
BringBackNeilSmith

Kasparaitis seems obvious, if imperfect. He also carries the responsibility of one of the biggest paychecks.... pin one A on Jagr becuase you have to and the other on Ortmayer (if he makes the team) because he sets the right tone for the new guys.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:34 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
"These things are important if you want to retain the respect of other guys. It's like some Chinese guy came to your office to give you advice about how to write your hockey coverage."

Maybe his diplomacy skills prove he isn't cut to be cap'n.

Old
08-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Fire Sather
new Niclas Wallin?

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackNeilSmith
Kasparaitis seems obvious, if imperfect. He also carries the responsibility of one of the biggest paychecks.... pin one A on Jagr becuase you have to and the other on Ortmayer (if he makes the team) because he sets the right tone for the new guys.
Not good when you have to say "If he makes the team" before saying give him the A

Old
08-22-2005, 02:50 PM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Yea, the 3 A's idea should be the way to go. I remember another team did this last season..i forgot who..I think it was Atlanta or Columbus?

Minnesota and I agree that's the way to go.

Like their spots on the team, the captaincy should be earned.

Old
08-22-2005, 05:14 PM
eco's bones

Probably give the C to Poti.

Old
08-22-2005, 05:28 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

I loved Jagr's analogy.

Old
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Taranis_24

Send a message via MSN to Taranis_24
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88

Capitals have done this since Konowalchuk was traded. First rotating the C between Witt and Halpern. Then going with three A's the following season. Believe they are going to go with a C this year though with Halpern the frontrunner.

Old
08-22-2005, 06:02 PM
sickboy35

didn't atlanta have a rotating captaincy? the player who plays the best for the month got to wear the followingg month and so on? thats not a bad idea having the players work for the respect of his peers can only be a good thing!

Old
08-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather
Not good when you have to say "If he makes the team" before saying give him the A
My thoughts exactly.

I like Jed, but i'm not about to pencil him into our lineup for the next 5 years and hand him a letter.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:40 PM
bladeNYR

I want to see Ortmeyer named C. He was the C at Michigan and he's always busting his a$$. This is what this team needs, someone with some fire in his belly.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:47 PM
shoothepuck

Someone needs to be the captain, the rotating C is bull****. The team needs a leader to follow and the leader needs to wear the C. Have the C earned in camp. Jagr, dosn't want it or deserve it, (in the media he went on about the Chinese hockey food he's been eating lately, "Sum Dum Chek"), don't even let him wear an A, unless it's for A**. If a vet should wear the C, than give it to Kasper,(at least in the media he said he wants to be here and play). Poti never.

Old
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeNYR
I want to see Ortmeyer named C. He was the C at Michigan and he's always busting his a$$. This is what this team needs, someone with some fire in his belly.
With all due respect to Ortmeyer he is a marginal NHL player. There are no gurantees that he is even part of a long term plan for this team.

Heck there are no gurantees the kid even stays with the team all season. As the rebuild progresses he's going to be a player who is going to be getting pushed by the younger talent and in his case the rangers are stacked with third and fourth line players who probably have a bit more upside than him.

I like Ortmeyer but let's not get carried away here.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:08 PM
Fletch

No to Ortmeyer...

he needs to prove he's an everyday NHLer, instead of a fourth liner who's easily replaceable, before he's named anything.

As for rotating...I personally like the idea until someone emerges as captain. It's a hodgepodge of a team, with no clear leader. Yeah it seems like BS, but with the coach not likely knowing a lot about who he has, it may be a good decision.

Old
08-22-2005, 09:25 PM
Stinkin' Root Beer

I'm no whistle-blower, buuuut....

"It's like some Chinese guy came to your office to give you advice about how to write your hockey coverage."

Is he high?! That's gotta be the lamest analogy I've ever heard. He must have made that boneheaded comment because of the so-called language/accent barrier. I guess leading by example doesn't work in the Czech league. Not that I would want him to be captain anyway if he's gonna open his mouth and make embarassing, demoralizing, and, not to mention, *borderline* prejudiced statements like that (Why does the guy have to be Chinese?). For my money, or Jimmy Dolan's money, whatever, I'll take a captain who leads by example, which is why the team voting policy after an experimental three-"A" period appears to be the best option

Old
08-22-2005, 10:31 PM
ftyutin51

I don't want Jed as Captain..(not just yet atleast) sure the guy has lots of heart and hustles harder than everyone else on the Rangers', but he's way inexperienced. He'll probably be playing on the 3rd or 4th line, and I don't want my Captain on either one of those lines. If he does good in training camp, give him the A. When the season starts, and we see that he alone can motivate his linemates or even better, the entire team, then we'll give him the Captain. As of now, Kaspar is the best and most safe choice, IMO. "Safe" meaning 1. he is well experienced in the NHL, 2. Kaspar (not saying Jagr hasn't been in the playoffs) has played in playoff games, knows the time to step up to the plate, and 3. Kaspar has internationak experience and has won a silver medal & bronze. 4. Kaspar is a good teamworker, IMO. He, like Murray, Ortmeyer, etc. sticks up for his teammates, and hustles.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
I kinda like that. If we are going through a youth movement, I want one of the kids acting as captain.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:42 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Kaspar is probablly the safest bet, if he dosnt take stupid runs at people trying to take there heads off in center ice, setting an example for morons like Purinton to follow. He would be a good leader, and the whole take your self out of the play to make a big hit mentality he had in the past seemed to fade away his last season in the NHL. My vote is for him as of now.

Old
08-22-2005, 10:49 PM
DJmastamind

As a Pens fan, this is a blessing in disguise. Jagr wasn't captain material then and he's not now. Your team would be better off. in all honestly I think Lundmark would make a decent captain.

Closed Thread