HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Gallagher for Ovechkin, would you do it?

View Poll Results: Gallagher for Ovechkin, would you do it?
Yes. Ovechkin can bring more to the Habs 286 81.95%
Hell no. Gallagher bring more to the Habs 63 18.05%
Voters: 349. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2014, 03:38 PM
Gazou

vCash: 500
Washington would never trade Ovy for Gallagher what kind of stupid thread is this...

Old
04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 300
One Ovechkin please

Old
04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
I would seriously like, whatever the 15 people who said no are smoking.

Old
04-20-2014, 03:42 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
So I guess you would take Fleury, Niemi over Price?

at overrated with 1 calder, 3 Hart, 4 rockets. 422 goals and 679 games.
You forgot ZERO Stanley Cups.

Ask OV what his career goal in hockey is. It is either to be a hall of fame player or an Olympic Gold medallist. He likely gets half his goal accomplished.

Ask Gallagher his career goal. Guarantee it is to win a Cup(s).

Given OVs contract and career stage he is in (and the many gifs of evidence of his apathetic defensive play), I go with what Gallagher currently offers in regards to heart, grit, talent, youth and contract.

And guess what - I am allowed to have my own opinion!
You don't like it, you don't need to....

Old
04-20-2014, 03:43 PM
Johnny Budwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
**** contract for a me first player. Give me Gallagher on the cheap any day. OV is so over-rated it is ridiculous.

Old
04-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:

Ask OV what his career goal in hockey is. It is either to be a hall of fame player or an Olympic Gold medallist. He likely gets half his goal accomplished.

Given OVs contract and career stage he is in (and the many gifs of evidence of his apathetic defensive play), I go with what Gallagher currently offers in regards to heart, grit, talent, youth and contract.

Youu don't like it, you don't need to....
Yes you're allowed to have your opinion. Just like I'm allowed to say that it's ridiculous.

One is a once in a generation talent. The other is a heart and soul type of player. Gally might be my favorite current Habs player, but I'd punt his ass to Washington in a heartbeat for Ovi.

Old
04-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

What is this !

Old
04-20-2014, 03:53 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaide View Post
Compute time : 0.021s
Output : yes
First reflex is obvious.
Now with 9.5M Scap, the trade off is:
Vanek + Gallagher vs Ovechkin...

Now, how do you vote...

Old
04-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:

You don't like it, you don't need to....
As ridiculous as it is, yes you can have your opinon but when your making assumptions that you pulled out of your ass, then you're looking more ridiculous.

So basically what you're saying is that OV left his country, where he is even more popular, would have given more money in the KHL but has absolutely no plan to win the Stanley Cup in North America? Do you realize how stupid that makes you sound?

Another clear case of xeophobia. The canadian boy wants the cup while the russian guy that left his country doesn't.

Old
04-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
First reflex is obvious.
Now with 9.5M Scap, the trade off is:
Vanek + Gallagher vs Ovechkin...

Now, how do you vote...
I'd still have to think about it, but I'd personally go Vanek + Gally.

Old
04-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazou View Post
Washington would never trade Ovy for Gallagher what kind of stupid thread is this...
/thread

mod please close

Old
04-20-2014, 03:59 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Yes you're allowed to have your opinion. Just like I'm allowed to say that it's ridiculous.

One is a once in a generation talent. The other is a heart and soul type of player. Gally might be my favorite current Habs player, but I'd punt his ass to Washington in a heartbeat for Ovi.
Go nuts buddy.

If the OP would not have gone video game mode proposing this, there is no issue. Everyone knows an OV acquisition would cost the Habs Gallagher++.

My argument is that the cost far outweighs the benefit, and I am not just talking contract and what would have to be moved. Your locker room chemistry changes drastically. OV is not easy to coach, and he has not exactly bought in to system/team hockey.

You think an OV mixed with Montreal media is a recipe for success?

Major big-picture issues for any team considering taking on OV. He is a great talent but he comes with a lot of baggage. If your goal is to sell tickets, jerseys and get to the playoffs then he is your guy. If you want to win in the playoffs, not much has convinced me he is that guy.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:03 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
As ridiculous as it is, yes you can have your opinon but when your making assumptions that you pulled out of your ass, then you're looking more ridiculous.

So basically what you're saying is that OV left his country, where he is even more popular, would have given more money in the KHL but has absolutely no plan to win the Stanley Cup in North America? Do you realize how stupid that makes you sound?

Another clear case of xeophobia.
Did you forget when he threatened to leave the NHL if the league was not going to allow the players to participate in Sochi? Yeah, you must have missed that.....

Don't let facts get in the way or anything....

And Adam Oates is full of **** is what you will probably say next...

Old
04-20-2014, 04:04 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Can we lock and bury this thread before they call us homers

Old
04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Tyson

51 goals, -35
This guy is a cancer. Sick of the Ovechkin act TBH

Old
04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Can we lock and bury this thread before they call us homers
You can always point "them" to the results of the poll...

Old
04-20-2014, 04:06 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Did you forget when he threatened to leave the NHL if the league was not going to allow the players to participate in Sochi? Yeah, you must have missed that.....

Don't let facts get in the way or anything....

And Adam Oates is full of **** is what you will probably say next...
Did you forget the fact he is currently playing in the NHL, in north america. That's not a fact?

And because the guy is a proud russian means he's doesnt want the cup? Your logic is ****.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:09 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
I'd still have to think about it, but I'd personally go Vanek + Gally.
Exactly my point earlier in the thread. If there was no cap, it's not even a question. But... there's a cap.

If Vanek signs elsewhere and this trade was really on the table, then hell yes.

If Vanek signs here - I'm good with Gallagher. The extra $2M of cap we save on Vanek will help greatly.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:10 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Go nuts buddy.

If the OP would not have gone video game mode proposing this, there is no issue. Everyone knows an OV acquisition would cost the Habs Gallagher++.
I agree, but since the OP stated it would be a trade of Gallagher straight up for Ovechkin. That is how I'm basing my answer.

Quote:
My argument is that the cost far outweighs the benefit, and I am not just talking contract and what would have to be moved. Your locker room chemistry changes drastically. OV is not easy to coach, and he has not exactly bought in to system/team hockey.

You think an OV mixed with Montreal media is a recipe for success?
Unless you have access to the Habs dressing room, or the Caps dressing room. That is all mindless speculation on your part. Also the same can be said (locker room chemistry) changes every time a trade is made. So does that mean we shouldn't make anymore trades?

Also, Ovechkin has done well with the media wherever he's gone. Besides I really don't care if he mixes well with the media. I care what he does on the ice. Bottom line is, he's 100 times the player that Gallagher will ever be.

Quote:
Major big-picture issues for any team considering taking on OV. He is a great talent but he comes with a lot of baggage. If your goal is to sell tickets, jerseys and get to the playoffs then he is your guy. If you want to win in the playoffs, not much has convinced me he is that guy.
You do realize it takes a team and not just one player to win a cup right. In a game 7, with the series on the line. I'll take Ovechkin on my team, 10 times out of 10. Gally is a great player, who gives his all. But I'm sorry PH, he can't hold Ovi's jock.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Exactly my point earlier in the thread. If there was no cap, it's not even a question. But... there's a cap.

If Vanek signs elsewhere and this trade was really on the table, then hell yes.

If Vanek signs here - I'm good with Gallagher. The extra $2M of cap we save on Vanek will help greatly.
Yes I know, because realistically we can't have Vanek and Ovechkin without making some major changes. IMO Vanek will be gone July 1st, so that's why I didn't think of him in my initial decision.

If we do re-sign Vanek. I agree with your decision.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Yes I know, because realistically we can't have Vanek and Ovechkin without making some major changes. IMO Vanek will be gone July 1st, so that's why I didn't think of him in my initial decision.

If we do re-sign Vanek. I agree with your decision.
You don't think a deep playoff run may change his mind considering our team, for the most part, will be back next year? If we can make the 3rd round or SCF... I could see Vanek easily wanting to return.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
You don't think a deep playoff run may change his mind considering our team, for the most part, will be back next year? If we can make the 3rd round or SCF... I could see Vanek easily wanting to return.
I think it will make his decision much more difficult. But the voices in my head are telling me that he's a goner.

The voices in my head are now telling me to spray cold water on the neighbourhood kids wearing leaf jerseys, outside the front of my house.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:21 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
I agree, but since the OP stated it would be a trade of Gallagher straight up for Ovechkin. That is how I'm basing my answer.

Unless you have access to the Habs dressing room, or the Caps dressing room. That is all mindless speculation on your part. Also the same can be said (locker room chemistry) changes every time a trade is made. So does that mean we shouldn't make anymore trades?

Also, Ovechkin has done well with the media wherever he's gone. Besides I really don't care if he mixes well with the media. I care what he does on the ice. Bottom line is, he's 100 times the player that Gallagher will ever be.

You do realize it takes a team and not just one player to win a cup right. In a game 7, with the series on the line. I'll take Ovechkin on my team, 10 times out of 10. Gally is a great player, who gives his all. But I'm sorry PH, he can't hold Ovi's jock.
Your last paragraph summarizes my point exactly and "incriminates" yours:
It takes a team to win a Cup. OV has not figured that out yet - he cannot hold all the blame for that either. While there is no comparison in talent, Gallagher is a guy you can win a Cup with because he is willing to go above and beyond the role he is asked to play on his TEAM. The +/- stats and coach comments attributed to OV over recent years suggest he is not all-in. Pardon me for not wanting that on the Habs, given what would have to be sacrificed....

Old
04-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Going to a team where he would not be the leader would be ideal fopr AO, he makes a good superstar but not a great leader. I think giving him the C is the wrong plan.

Old
04-20-2014, 04:23 PM
sharks9

Ovechkin AINEC

Anyone saying Gallagher doesn't know hockey

Closed Thread