HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #3 | Rangers at Flyers | Tue., Apr. 22, 2014 |8:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2014, 12:27 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. He knows his own body, and if he's not feeling right to play then of course Emery should get the start.

The last thing we need is Mason coming back too quickly and re-aggravating the injury.
Exactly. If Mason has whiplash, his neck mobility may be significantly compromised. Not exactly ideal for a position that requires almost instantaneous movement of the neck in order to track the puck. If Mason's neck is stiff, his range of sight is severely limited.

Let the guy get healthy. It's annoying that he has to sit out, but there's nothing he can do here but wait. Playing through it could be much, much worse for our chances than letting Emery get the nod.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Whoa, you can't be serious, man. Especially days after you just said this:

You can't possibly be saying Mason should just suck it up and play through an injury here when you used the same scenario to defend Carter.

At least with Carter, when he was playing hurt, we had 19 other guys on the bench who could pick up the slack. If Mason plays hurt and underperforms? We have no chance if that happens.

It sucks that he's not 100%, but even if it's just whiplash, that can have a substantial effect on a goalie's ability to react and make quick movements with his neck. That's especially crucial for goalies.
Emery doesn't look close to healthy either. Do you think he can manage a back-to-back? I sure don't We have to figure out if a sore Mason is better than Heeter...I'm thinking he's better than Heeter. He need to be an option at minimum for this back to back or the team is potentially in trouble.

As for the Carter thing: If Mason comes in and isn't posting a shutout, I won't be holding it against him because he's injured. See, that's the difference. People were furious Carter wasn't playing at his normal level with major injuries...it shouldn't be expected. I wouldn't expect Mason to play up to his normal level either. But come on, Emery in a back to back?

Edit: My hope is that they're resting Mason as much as possible so he'll be fresh as possible to take over for game 4.

04-21-2014, 12:29 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Mason out for game 3 hope Emery can keep up his great play and we can come out strong.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Emery doesn't look close to healthy either. Do you think he can manage a back-to-back? I sure don't We have to figure out if a sore Mason is better than Heeter...I'm thinking he's better than Heeter. He need to be an option at minimum for this back to back or the team is potentially in trouble.
Emery is healthy. He's just limited in his ability now after his condition.

Quote:
As for the Carter thing: If Mason comes in and isn't posting a shutout, I won't be holding it against him because he's injured. See, that's the difference. People were furious Carter wasn't playing at his normal level with major injuries...it shouldn't be expected. I wouldn't expect Mason to play up to his normal level either. But come on, Emery in a back to back?
I'm not saying it's ideal. I'm just saying you can't criticize Mason for sitting out if you wouldn't criticize Carter for sitting out which is exactly what you said.

You can't have it both ways. You implied that had Carter sat out, you couldn't hold it against him. Now Mason's sitting out, and you are holding it against him. Which way do you want it? You're more reasonable than that, Beef.

Also, you have no clue what Mason's symptoms are, and you don't know how debilitating they may be. Playing below his normal level may be an overstatement for all we know. His injury could have a major effect on his ability to track quick, cross-ice movements of the puck. You just don't know.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:34 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I dont think Mason is going to play at all this series. It really seems like he has a concussion (hence the inconsistency in how he feels). If that is the case, he is going to have to show multiple days of being symptom free before they even consider dressing him. I have a lot of confidence in Ray, but I would still feel a lot better if Mason were healthy and at least available.

On that note, is anyone else still infuriated by how Mason got hurt? It was such a dirtbag play by the Pens...and they got away with it. If that had been Lundqvist, Miller, Quick, etc...I feel like it would have gotten a lot more attention. Honestly at this point, I wanna get past the Rangers just so we have a shot to knock that ******* team out of the playoffs again!
I have been saying he has a concussion some on here say no cause he has been practicing doesn't mean mean he doesn't have a concussion just because he practiced.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:38 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Emery deserve to be in the way he has played if he can go fine I'm comfortable with him in net .yes hes not as good as he once was but he made adjustments and so did the team.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:42 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Upper body injury is the nice way to say he has a concussion and you don't **** around when it's the head.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Emery deserve to be in the way he has played if he can go fine I'm comfortable with him in net .yes hes not as good as he once was but he made adjustments and so did the team.
Huh? I am guessing you mean if Mason is injured yes? If not and your talking about a 100% healthy Mason you are dead wrong. A healthy Mason would give us more stability in net.

You are probably the only one who is "comfortable" with him in net. Id take him over Heeter but I dont think twice when Mason comes back.

Old
04-21-2014, 12:47 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Wow. Not pleased with TSN. At least you can stream games from CBC's website when there's a conflict.

04-21-2014, 12:55 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Wow. Not pleased with TSN. At least you can stream games from CBC's website when there's a conflict.
Is the game not going to be on CDN TV tomorrow?!

Old
04-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Emery is healthy. He's just limited in his ability now after his condition.

I'm not saying it's ideal. I'm just saying you can't criticize Mason for sitting out if you wouldn't criticize Carter for sitting out which is exactly what you said.

You can't have it both ways. You implied that had Carter sat out, you couldn't hold it against him. Now Mason's sitting out, and you are holding it against him. Which way do you want it? You're more reasonable than that, Beef.

Also, you have no clue what Mason's symptoms are, and you don't know how debilitating they may be. Playing below his normal level may be an overstatement for all we know. His injury could have a major effect on his ability to track quick, cross-ice movements of the puck. You just don't know.
No, I don't know. But you've touched on my reasoning here: there are different degrees of injury. The only time Carter sat out was when he was physically incapable of playing. If Mason is physically capable of playing, he needs to be an option for this back to back coming up.

You and I have both watched Emery. He gets noticeably slower and looks more fatigued as the game goes on. When they zoom in on him during breaks it's not unusual to see him looking like he's in physical discomfort. There's a clear difference between the first period and the third period. Considering all that, Emery cannot be trusted to handle a back to back. If Mason is physically incapable of playing, that's one thing...but he's practicing. Based on video released, he's taking shots at practice. If he's waiting to be 100% healthy, then he needs to learn a little more about what it takes for a team to succeed in the playoffs. Sometimes you need to play through some pain and discomfort, as Emery is showing.

All I'm saying is we need all our options available for this back to back stretch, and if Mason has to play through some discomfort so be it, he at LEAST needs to be on the bench. I'm not saying "play him whether he's physically capable or not." With this back to back, if he's at 90% or even 75%, that's likely gonna need to be good enough.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:08 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelos View Post
Is the game not going to be on CDN TV tomorrow?!
Tape delay at 10pmEST. TSN2 is going w/ the Detroit game and TSN has the Raptors.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:09 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Doesn't bother me at all. He knows his own body, and if he's not feeling right to play then of course Emery should get the start.

The last thing we need is Mason coming back too quickly and re-aggravating the injury.
No no no, I don't want him coming back too soon either, that's not my point. The comment just made it sound like an "eh whatever" type attitude.

I wanna hear some fire in the belly, I'm frustrated, I'm trying to come back, I want to help my team win , I'm dying to play in the playoffs yada yada. Not ripping the guy for being hurt, that comment just rubbed me the wrong way is all. It's not that big a deal, just didn't sound like a comment from a super competitive guy.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:10 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
No, I don't know. But you've touched on my reasoning here: there are different degrees of injury. The only time Carter sat out was when he was physically incapable of playing. If Mason is physically capable of playing, he needs to be an option for this back to back coming up.

You and I have both watched Emery. He gets noticeably slower and looks more fatigued as the game goes on. When they zoom in on him during breaks it's not unusual to see him looking like he's in physical discomfort. There's a clear difference between the first period and the third period. Considering all that, Emery cannot be trusted to handle a back to back. If Mason is physically incapable of playing, that's one thing...but he's practicing. Based on video released, he's taking shots at practice. If he's waiting to be 100% healthy, then he needs to learn a little more about what it takes for a team to succeed in the playoffs. Sometimes you need to play through some pain and discomfort, as Emery is showing.

All I'm saying is we need all our options available for this back to back stretch, and if Mason has to play through some discomfort so be it, he at LEAST needs to be on the bench. I'm not saying "play him whether he's physically capable or not." With this back to back, if he's at 90% or even 75%, that's likely gonna need to be good enough.
How do you know if he's physically capable or not? You don't. So you can't criticize him for sitting out. If he sits out, how can you make the mental leap that he is physically capable?

And how do you know how debilitating his symptoms are? For all you know an injured Mason is worse than Heeter. Seriously, if you can move your neck all the way around, it's going to be that much more difficult to make tough saves.

You have no clue how far from 100% he is. Just because he's taken shots in practice doesn't mean he was very effective or feeling even remotely okay taking them. Seriously, you're making all kinds of mental contortions to criticize him for sitting out when you said yourself that Carter should not be criticized had he sat out. Again, you are muuuuuch more reasonable than that, man. I don't think you actually believe Mason deserves blame if he sits out while injured.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:11 PM
flyersjim73

I've got to think there's a reasonable chance Mason is completely fine and they just want to roll with razor at this point since he has played fairly well. Saying Mase is still injured takes away the controversy to a point. If Emery starts to struggle, it wouldn't suprise me in the least if Mason is magically healed... (not the same game, just for the next game)

Old
healthyscratch

I'm with ya Beefy.

Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
How do you know if he's physically capable or not? You don't. So you can't criticize him for sitting out. If he sits out, how can you make the mental leap that he is physically capable?

And how do you know how debilitating his symptoms are? For all you know an injured Mason is worse than Heeter. Seriously, if you can move your neck all the way around, it's going to be that much more difficult to make tough saves.

You have no clue how far from 100% he is. Just because he's taken shots in practice doesn't mean he was very effective or feeling even remotely okay taking them. Seriously, you're making all kinds of mental contortions to criticize him for sitting out when you said yourself that Carter should not be criticized had he sat out. Again, you are muuuuuch more reasonable than that, man. I don't think you actually believe Mason deserves blame if he sits out while injured.
Are you missing all these times where I say "IF?"

Nowhere do I claim to know for certain. I'm speaking hypothetically. But the fact that he is practicing, has been practicing for days, and has been taking shots at practice certainly indicates he's leaning much closer to "capable" than "not capable," does it not?

****, I'm not criticizing. I'm stating a simple reality. With Emery's capabilities and stamina, it is very likely a possibility that Mason will need to be available no matter what. Waiting for 100% isn't a luxury the team or Mason have.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Devastate

Well the back to back isn't until game 6 and 7 right?

Let's see if we even take the series that far.

Based on everything that's going on it seems mason is day to day. Who's to say we don't get him back for game 4.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Also, why does Carter get the benefit of the doubt but not Mason? Just because he dressed for practice?

Not to mention, it is much worse for a goalie to underperform due to injury than a skater. A skater's ice time can be reduced and other players can hop off the bench for him. An underperforming goaltender due to injury is a much more massive handicap. If anything, it should be Mason getting the benefit of the doubt and not Carter. Though, I give them both the benefit of the doubt. If they say they're injured, I have absolutely no reason to doubt them, and frankly, it's absurd to think otherwise.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
This. He's done well, I hope he can keep it up.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
...or it's whiplash, which isn't a concussion. If he has a concussion, he shouldn't be practicing for an hour.
Whiplash and concussions go hand and hand. The force that caused your neck to snap back usually also causes your brain to smack your skull. Not every case of whiplash is accompanied by a concussion, but would them letting him practice for an hour with a concussion really surprise you? Honestly, this is the Flyers we're talking about.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Also, why does Carter get the benefit of the doubt but not Mason? Just because he dressed for practice?

Not to mention, it is much worse for a goalie to underperform due to injury than a skater. A skater's ice time can be reduced and other players can hop off the bench for him. An underperforming goaltender due to injury is a much more massive handicap. If anything, it should be Mason getting the benefit of the doubt and not Carter. Though, I give them both the benefit of the doubt. If they say they're injured, I have absolutely no reason to doubt them, and frankly, it's absurd to think otherwise.
We covered this.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Are you missing all these times where I say "IF?"
Then why did you give Carter the benefit of the doubt that he was "physically incapable of playing" but not Mason? That just doesn't make sense.

Quote:
Nowhere do I claim to know for certain. I'm speaking hypothetically. But the fact that he is practicing, has been practicing for days, and has been taking shots at practice certainly indicates he's leaning much closer to "capable" than "not capable," does it not?
No, it doesn't. I'm not sure why you'd think that. Don't know what else to say.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Then why did you give Carter the benefit of the doubt that he was "physically incapable of playing" but not Mason? That just doesn't make sense.

No, it doesn't. I'm not sure why you'd think that. Don't know what else to say.
We covered this.

I'm not holding it personally against Mason, not the way the Carter haters did. I'm not howling for his head or to trade him. But the brutal reality is, Heeter isn't an option. Mason might need to be available before he's perfectly healthy.

Old
04-21-2014, 01:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Whiplash and concussions go hand and hand. The force that caused your neck to snap back usually also causes your brain to smack your skull. Not every case of whiplash is accompanied by a concussion, but would them letting him practice for an hour with a concussion really surprise you? Honestly, this is the Flyers we're talking about.
No, it wouldn't surprise me. But I've yet to see anything that indicates he's stopped practicing, unless it's something I've missed.

Closed Thread