HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

McGuire on York

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2003, 04:49 AM
  #1
mudcrutch79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: The Big Smoke
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
McGuire on York

Don't know if anyone caught the TSN report on Sportscentre about the Oilers last night, but one comment in particular caught my attention. McGuire mentioned that York is a "disappointment" for the Oilers.

Now I know that his offensive totals were down from the year before, but does anyone know how this can be backed up? He had a broken wrist last year, for god's sake. I also remember that early in the season, MacT said that he thought that the way in which York was being used was probably hurtinbg his numbers, because they were basically using him to fill holes.

Where does McGuire get "dissapointment" from?

mudcrutch79 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:53 AM
  #2
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
He certainly had a disappointing start to last season... but from the time he broke out of the slump right up to the wrist injury, he was awesome.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 05:08 AM
  #3
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
Don't know if anyone caught the TSN report on Sportscentre about the Oilers last night, but one comment in particular caught my attention. McGuire mentioned that York is a "disappointment" for the Oilers.

Now I know that his offensive totals were down from the year before, but does anyone know how this can be backed up? He had a broken wrist last year, for god's sake. I also remember that early in the season, MacT said that he thought that the way in which York was being used was probably hurtinbg his numbers, because they were basically using him to fill holes.

Where does McGuire get "dissapointment" from?
I saw that too...I have not idea where he got that...I mean, K-lo only gave York some slack after the Dallas series bcause he was injured...

Very strange comment and he's usually pretty bang with his assessment...

I just think he should look at switching to brewed decaf for a while...

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 05:37 AM
  #4
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
york had 51 points in the 56 games before his injury. That would be a 75 point season pace while playing on 3 different lines and 8 different players. One thing mact said about sticks in my head (paraphrased)

"whenever a player is struggling, we put him on york's line. York makes his linemates better rather than feeding off them like carter."

IMO, York could really surprise this year. I usually like maguire because he has a real hate on for the leafs but he didn't do his homework this time.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 05:38 AM
  #5
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
PM also added that york was unhappy about being traded to edmonton anyone remember when York said that?

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 05:51 AM
  #6
barto
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HemskyFreak83
PM also added that york was unhappy about being traded to edmonton anyone remember when York said that?
I don't know if York was ever quoted as saying that, but it seemed pretty obvious that he was upset to have been traded ANYWHERE, as he really liked it with the Rangers. And it was his first trade, so there was that shock, and I don't think he knew anyone on the team or knew anything about Edmonton. It took him the summer to get used to the idea and to get to know some of the guys, and he came into camp last fall with a much different attitude & mindset.

He had a very good year, was definitely our best forward for long stretches, and SO bloody versatile! Good move by Lowe to get this guy for Poti!

I suspect York really likes it here now - he sure seems comfortable (not in a bad way) out on the ice & in interviews.

Bart

barto is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:18 AM
  #7
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Perhaps he was just talking about how he had a bad start and he was injured and the Oilers were disapointed about that (not with him, but with what happened to him). I only watched the clip once, but on CHED PM said he really liked York.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:26 AM
  #8
jofa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
That's funny, as I was yelling at Pierre this morning too when I heard that. Dissapointment? Wasn't he like the Oilers player of the year or something? I found their whole overview of the Oilers to be frustrating, as they just don't seem to get what Lowe is doing or the direction the team is heading. I mean, they were implying that the Oilers are still trying to get over the loss of Guerin and Weight? Hello... ? Tell me why we, or any team, would want to wrap up $17.5 million of salary on these two players?

Somehow, we'll try to get through the "disappointment"...

jofa is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:33 AM
  #9
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
That's funny, as I was yelling at Pierre this morning too when I heard that. Dissapointment? Wasn't he like the Oilers player of the year or something? I found their whole overview of the Oilers to be frustrating, as they just don't seem to get what Lowe is doing or the direction the team is heading. I mean, they were implying that the Oilers are still trying to get over the loss of Guerin and Weight? Hello... ? Tell me why we, or any team, would want to wrap up $17.5 million of salary on these two players?

Somehow, we'll try to get through the "disappointment"...
If we went back in time and signed Guering, we'd be minus Hemsky and Dvorak. I can't imagine how less bright the future is with Billy G. instead of Hemmer!!!! Lowe really ***** the Bruins in that deal! (the bruins have....... NOTHING) the Oilers now have Hemsky and Dvorak.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:01 AM
  #10
jofa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If we went back in time and signed Guering, we'd be minus Hemsky and Dvorak. I can't imagine how less bright the future is with Billy G. instead of Hemmer!!!! Lowe really ***** the Bruins in that deal! (the bruins have....... NOTHING) the Oilers now have Hemsky and Dvorak.
why'd we be without hemsky? i thought it was a second round pick that came over with carter... ?



love the banana

jofa is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:07 AM
  #11
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
That's funny, as I was yelling at Pierre this morning too when I heard that. Dissapointment? Wasn't he like the Oilers player of the year or something? I found their whole overview of the Oilers to be frustrating, as they just don't seem to get what Lowe is doing or the direction the team is heading. I mean, they were implying that the Oilers are still trying to get over the loss of Guerin and Weight? Hello... ? Tell me why we, or any team, would want to wrap up $17.5 million of salary on these two players?

Somehow, we'll try to get through the "disappointment"...
lol, i couldnt agree more.... i wouldnt take guerin in a straight up trade for hemsky, let alone guerin for hemsky AND dvorak..... not a freaking chance. and as far as im concerned, ill be more than happy to let st. louis pay weight 8 million a year, ill keep comrie as well in that deal (lol, though we prolly wont have comrie anymore)

the reason hemsky comes over in the guerin deal, is because we got a 1st rounder swap option with the bruins that year (2001). we swapped with them for the 13th pick and got hemsky with that pick.

on a similar note though, that weight trade sure looks TERRIBLE now doesnt it? i like reasoner and all, but reasoner for weight, not exactly a good deal.

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:09 AM
  #12
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,810
vCash: 500
one more thing about that weight trade... i personally dont see why we couldnt have traded him to the islanders that year for their pick (and gotten spezza). if they took yashin, you would think they would have taken weight. we might have maybe given them a 2nd rounder as well or something, but it would have been totally worth it..... yes as you can tell im still pretty upset we didnt get more for weight... oh well

jadeddog is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 07:23 AM
  #13
igor*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
york had 51 points in the 56 games before his injury. That would be a 75 point season pace while playing on 3 different lines and 8 different players. One thing mact said about sticks in my head (paraphrased)

"whenever a player is struggling, we put him on york's line. York makes his linemates better rather than feeding off them like carter."

IMO, York could really surprise this year. I usually like maguire because he has a real hate on for the leafs but he didn't do his homework this time.
I like York ... but Lowe says a lot of things. I think he was trying to pre-empt (is that a word?) any "what's the matter with York" articles from the writers, because for the most part York never really clicked with anybody at 5on5 hockey. He did really well on the poewrplay though, results-wise, especially when he was on the point. And the York-Marchant tandem was a great PK duo IMO.

The opposition scored a swack of goals on the Oilers when York was out there ... at least until after Christmas when he was put with Marchant and did well. Really the only other player that he meshed with though, by my eye and by the numbers, was Marchant. He got decent results while playing with Smyth too, but everybody did.

I think York will lead the team in special-teams minutes this season. So the second line will be the logical place to play him 5on5, to keep him from wearing down.

Will he click with Dvorak? I really hope so.

igor* is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
  #14
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
one more thing about that weight trade... i personally dont see why we couldnt have traded him to the islanders that year for their pick (and gotten spezza). if they took yashin, you would think they would have taken weight. we might have maybe given them a 2nd rounder as well or something, but it would have been totally worth it..... yes as you can tell im still pretty upset we didnt get more for weight... oh well
Talk to Doug "39 shackles" Weight. Weight said he'd only go to either Detroit and St. Louis. Edmonton wanted to trade him to the Islanders but Weight blocked the trade to the Islanders. They could have had that draft pick as part of the trade. He then blocked Demitra coming to Edmonton from St. Louis. Tell me who made Weight GM of the Blues.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 12:49 PM
  #15
jofa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
on a similar note though, that weight trade sure looks TERRIBLE now doesnt it? i like reasoner and all, but reasoner for weight, not exactly a good deal.

In a round about way though, we also got Stoll and Drouin-Deslauriers in the Weight deal, right? We traded Hecht for a couple 2nd rounders and netted these two, so with the development of Reasoner and the fact that Stoll and Deslauriers are two of our best prospects, it could be just a matter of time before this deal ultimately starts paying some huge dividends for the Oil...

jofa is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 12:54 PM
  #16
MrMackey
Registered User
 
MrMackey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: cgy
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa
why'd we be without hemsky? i thought it was a second round pick that came over with carter... ?
We also got the option of swapping first rounders. We took Hemsky and Boston took Morrisson.

MrMackey is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:29 PM
  #17
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
See that was silly of Lowe though - Weight didn't have a no trade clause and had no rights which would allow him to say where he could go. Sure he could say, fine I won't sign, but anybody could have said that (Yashin may have said that)! I mean I know the Isles would prefered to do Weight for their first over Yashin for their first, Chara, and a fourthline grinder.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 01:33 PM
  #18
oilers_guy_eddie
Registered User
 
oilers_guy_eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Intolerable climate
Country: Norfolk Island
Posts: 10,679
vCash: 500
He didn't say he'd only go to Detroit or St Louis. He said he'd only sign *long term* in Detroit or St Louis. Anywhere else, and he'd have just exercised his right to file for salary arbitration and get a 1 year deal. (or so the story goes.)

oilers_guy_eddie is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 02:44 PM
  #19
Lowetide
Registered User
 
Lowetide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 500
I think York is the Oilers best all around forward. He's quality wherever he plays, doesn't ***** and moan, gives good effort. Wish we had another just like him.

Lowetide is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 02:47 PM
  #20
Vyse64
N64
 
Vyse64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Calgary AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,761
vCash: 611
Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think York is the Oilers best all around forward. He's quality wherever he plays, doesn't ***** and moan, gives good effort. Wish we had another just like him.
its just too bad York wasn't 3-4 inches taller

Vyse64 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 03:06 PM
  #21
elphy101
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: City of Champions
Posts: 1,568
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
one more thing about that weight trade... i personally dont see why we couldnt have traded him to the islanders that year for their pick (and gotten spezza). if they took yashin, you would think they would have taken weight. we might have maybe given them a 2nd rounder as well or something, but it would have been totally worth it..... yes as you can tell im still pretty upset we didnt get more for weight... oh well
Look at it this way. If we offered St. Louis Marty Reasoner, Jarrot Stoll and J.D Deslauriers for Doug Weight. They would jump and the offer. Larry Pleau would be thrilled with that offer. That makes it hard to argue against the trade. It's not like Weight got St. Louis a stanley cup or even close to a stanley cup either.

elphy101 is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 03:13 PM
  #22
momentai
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Look at it this way. If we offered St. Louis Marty Reasoner, Jarrot Stoll and J.D Deslauriers for Doug Weight. They would jump and the offer. Larry Pleau would be thrilled with that offer. That makes it hard to argue against the trade. It's not like Weight got St. Louis a stanley cup or even close to a stanley cup either.
Bah I still don't think he'd go for it. He probably has his team looking ahead for a chance at the Stanley Cup THIS year. So I think he'd much rather keep Weight as they have a much better shot at it with him than without.

momentai is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 03:50 PM
  #23
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
york had 51 points in the 56 games before his injury. That would be a 75 point season pace while playing on 3 different lines and 8 different players. One thing mact said about sticks in my head (paraphrased)

"whenever a player is struggling, we put him on york's line. York makes his linemates better rather than feeding off them like carter."

IMO, York could really surprise this year. I usually like maguire because he has a real hate on for the leafs but he didn't do his homework this time.
3 different lines with 8 different players and all three forward positions.

I would say that Reasoner was the #1 guy for making his linemates better last season, I think everyone played well with Marty, but York is a close second.

McGuire's observations are very astute most of the time but he was dead wrong on this one.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 04:51 PM
  #24
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,040
vCash: 500
for the 100th time:

the deal was not doug weight for reasoner, hecht, and horacek. It was ONE year of doug for 7 years of marty, 7 years of hecht and a lifetime with horachek.

DOug was ufa in a year so his value was extremely lowered. That year, he outscored hecht by 7 points. 7 frickin points cost the blues about 7 million dollars.

Reasoner was our best +/- guy last year, doug was the blue's 2nd worst. He had 7 more non- power play points than marty had with a much worse +/-. A case can be made that marty had a better year than doug did last year while costing 8 million less.

I pay for my tickets. To pay for a 9 mill player, add 12$ to every ticket. IMO, doug is not worth it and the blues can have him.

Mr Sakich is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 11:35 PM
  #25
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
I don't think any trade should be analyzed until every player involved is retired. no one wins or loses a trade until then. eg. The Doug Weight deal looked horrid at first, but in say 5 years, he'll be long retired, and it's very likely that JD Delaurias will be our #1 Goalie, J. Stoll can be our Captain and Marty Reasoner can be a great character guy with decent numbers. we are building for the future right?

Mowzie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.